• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ukraine really seems like a doormat for covering up for non-Russian countries.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
If that's true (and they have no way of knowing when the Americans and Canadians knew) then they should have kept their mouths shut rather than trying to cover for Iran's lies.
Ukraine really seems like a doormat for covering up for non-Russian countries.

A bit harsh don't you think? I bet the Ukrainians we're worried Iran was gonna pull a Russia and hide as much of the evidence as possible, and hoped to get to it as soon as possible and the best way to do that would be to act neutral. The Iranians refused to let the FAA in, but allowed the Ukrainians, negotiated with thm to submit the black box to France.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A bit harsh don't you think? I bet the Ukrainians we're worried Iran was gonna pull a Russia and hide as much of the evidence as possible, and hoped to get to it as soon as possible and the best way to do that would be to act neutral. The Iranians refused to let the FAA in, but allowed the Ukrainians, negotiated with thm to submit the black box to France.
They didn't need to say anything about what they suspected in the first 24 hours.

Dec 2, 2017
You explicitly pointed to one specific claimed movement that I was responding to, not "the culture war". I even quoted it.
I'm super not interested in a semantics debate but:

1. It's absurdly nitpicky to (mis)interpret the word 'movement' to mean some sort of organized group.

2. I bolded the part I was responding to, where you referenced scorekeeping in a system which 'exists only in my head.' The line in my original post was 'score points in their culture war.' The news media and political parties realized they could weaponize every news story in their partisan squabbles long ago, to all of their mutual benefit. A good deal of the internet is only too happy to play along, it's hard not to get swept up in it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
1. It's absurdly nitpicky to (mis)interpret the word 'movement' to mean some sort of organized group.
Is it really? I could say "the movement of people eating peanuts" and point to people who don't eat peanuts, if you're using some loose definition who knows what you're talking about? At some point, and I don't know what it is, things can become a movement but like, a few posters on an internet forum does not a movement make. I think it was just a bad characterization.
2. I bolded the part I was responding to, where you referenced scorekeeping in a system which 'exists only in my head.' The line in my original post was 'score points in their culture war.' The news media and political parties realized they could weaponize every news story in their partisan squabbles long ago, to all of their mutual benefit. A good deal of the internet is only too happy to play along, it's hard not to get swept up in it.
Well I don't know, so you believe there is some significant amount of people whose sole purpose in holding Trump accountable for his actions to some degree (or maybe you mean for ALL culpability, which I haven't seen many people do) are doing it to score points versus it being a sincerely held belief? What do you have to cite for that? You weren't talking about political parties or the media when you explicitly mentioned "the blame Trump movement", you laid it on the feet of people who believe that and you're robbing them of agency or conviction imo by painting them as useful idiots to the news media or whatever else

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
The Iranian defence minister after hearing the news of the assassination rushed to the office and inadvertently ran over a little old lady otw = Trump's fault.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Shimon Prokupecz @ShimonPro

!!! CNN: Iran's semi-official Tasnim News Agency reported Tuesday that the person who filmed "the scene of the missile hitting the Ukraine airplane" has been arrested for further investigation. There was no mention of the person's name or what charges, if any, they are facing.​

2:58 PM - Jan 14, 2020

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
2 missiles? God damn. Could maybe have returned to the airport if the second one didn't fire. That's crazy and sad.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
pretty sure the second missile didn't matter. after the shrapnel from the first one tore through the plane, it was doomed at that moment.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
pretty sure the second missile didn't matter. after the shrapnel from the first one tore through the plane, it was doomed at that moment.
There's no way to know right now how much damage was done by the first vs the second. Planes have returned to airports with one engine disabled and on fire before. It's possible it could have made it, it's possible it would have made no difference. We won't know until the investigators pore through everything.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way to know right now how much damage was done by the first vs the second. Planes have returned to airports with one engine disabled and on fire before. It's possible it could have made it, it's possible it would have made no difference. We won't know until the investigators pore through everything.

I feel pretty confident. The shrapnel from the first missile would have set the fuel lines on fire (that's what they are made to do), punch holes in the airframe. Shrapnel would have torn through the cabin, depressurized the plane. A big airliner is a MUCH larger target than a tiny fighter, so there was a lot of surface area for the shrapnel to hit.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I feel pretty confident. The shrapnel from the first missile would have set the fuel lines on fire (that's what they are made to do), punch holes in the airframe. Shrapnel would have torn through the cabin, depressurized the plane. A big airliner is a MUCH larger target than a tiny fighter, so there was a lot of surface area for the shrapnel to hit.
They were not high enough that depresurization would affect the people inside. People have said the passengers were likely fully awake and aware the whole time, bar whoever was injured by the shrapnel. The plane only made it to 8000ft below the pressurization threshold.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
They were not high enough that depresurization would affect the people inside. People have said the passengers were likely fully awake and aware the whole time, bar whoever was injured by the shrapnel. The plane only made it to 8000ft below the pressurization threshold.

Even if that's so, there's no way this plane was making it back to the airport