• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Via AP News: https://apnews.com/3e2d08074a4f4256ba6ee379cdb168f7
Iran acknowledged Monday it had broken the limit set on its stockpile of low-enriched uranium by the 2015 nuclear deal, marking its first major departure from the unraveling agreement a year after the U.S. unilaterally withdrew from the accord.

Under terms of the nuclear deal, Iran agreed to have less than 300 kilograms (661 pounds) of uranium enriched to a maximum of 3.67%. Previously, Iran enriched as high as 20%, which is a short technical step away from reaching weapons-grade levels. It also held up to 10,000 kilograms (22,046 pounds) of the higher-enriched uranium.

Zarif was quoted as also saying that the country remained on track to raise its enrichment if Europe did not take any additional steps toward saving the accord.

"The next step is about the 3.67% limitation, which we will implement too," he warned.

The IAEA, the UN's nuclear watchdog, has confirmed that Iran has indeed exceeded the enriched uranium stockpile limit.

UN nuclear watchdog the IAEA confirms Iran has exceeded enriched uranium stockpile limit

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
If only we could just come to some terms with Iran specifically regarding Nuclear material and weapons that included strict inspections and that numerous countries could agree on.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I mean...the US stepped out of the deal AND applied serious sanctions.

What the fuck did anyone think would happen?

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"deal" should be in quotes considering the US reneged on it and it no longer exists.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who thought they were going to stick to the deal is naive at best. Anyone who somehow thought they were going to stick to the deal after President Shitbird pulled out of the deal is actually insane. If the US had a real president instead of the sock puppet idiot currently disgracing the White House, at least Iran would have kept quiet about breaching the limit. No reason to now.

It's going to be extremely irritating all the "SEE TRUMP KNEW THEY WERE LYING" nonsense from Fox and their ilk.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
well thanks to the orange genius, the very system that was there to stop that, and was extremely efficient at it because Iran did respect its obligations then, is no longer there.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Personally I was kinda hoping Iran would be willing to take the hit in the hopes of a Democrat being elected next year, with that person then re-entering the deal and lifting all related sanctions in order to save the deal.
But hey, if Iran is now slowly pulling out of the deal as well all parties might as well just consider it dead. And in the end shitstain Trump is to blame, fucking piece of shit.

Oct 25, 2017
What deal? The one the other party walked out on over a year ago?

Personally I was kinda hoping Iran would be willing to take the hit in the hopes of a Democrat being elected next year, with that person then re-entering the deal and lifting all related sanctions in order to save the deal.
But hey, if Iran is now slowly pulling out of the deal as well all parties might as well just consider it dead. And in the end shitstain Trump is to blame, fucking piece of shit.
Iran made a deal with the United States, not the Democratic Party. It's really not on them to base their own regulatory policy on predicting US politics.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Iran and Trump are provoking each other into a completely avoidable war. For fuck's sake, let me out of this garbage-ass timeline.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"If Europeans do what they have to do, our measures are reversible," Zarif said, according to IRNA.

Zarif was quoted as also saying that the country remained on track to raise its enrichment if Europe did not take any additional steps toward saving the accord.
I don't know if they actually mean it, but it seems like they're specifically telling Europe that they can still save the deal?
Curious what their demands for Europe are, as long as it isn't "have Trump sign a new deal"

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure why Iran would swollow the pride when sanctions are hurting them. Waiting 2+ years for change of administration isn't valid option for most countries.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't know if they actually mean it, but it seems like they're specifically telling Europe that they can still save the deal?
Curious what their demands for Europe are, as long as it isn't "have Trump sign a new deal"
I'm pretty sure he's basically telling the EU countries to just ignore the US sanctions which you know, not happening even if hell freezes over.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It will be interesting to see what the EU does. They claimed there would be consequences if they did this...but will they do anything?

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

I had the same hope too, truth be told.

Living in a world where you hope that Iran (of all nations) is going to take one on the chin. We lost a serious fight when Trump got elected.

As an aside...I might have missed it, but was the nuclear deal brought up at all during the Democratic debates? I'd have liked to hear what the candidate's thoughts are. I'd also wonder what impact it would have if any of the candidates stated publicly that they'd re-enter the deal as it was written.

Oct 30, 2017
There seems to be no easy answer to this as Trump has completely decimated his geopolitical capital for almost no good reason.

If I were Iran, I'd do the same thing.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another successful negotiation by Trump the master. Blast fax kudos all around!

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the US leave this deal? I don't know why the media is acting like any of this is still binding other than being ridiculous war hawks.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
There seems to be no easy answer to this as Trump has completely decimated his geopolitical capital for almost no good reason.

If I were Iran, I'd do the same thing.
It makes zero sense for Iran to do this in the long run. The only outcome will be the EU eventually re-applying their own sanctions on and an already economically devastated Iran.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna use this to justify military action, even though the shit stain Trump tore up the deal.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
If only we could just come to some terms with Iran specifically regarding Nuclear material and weapons that included strict inspections and that numerous countries could agree on.
9f2.gif

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Its been like this lately, suddenly the Orange one is weak on them and they have become super Hawkish
Didn't the US leave this deal? I don't know why the media is acting like any of this is still binding other than being ridiculous war hawks.
Both sides are handling it poorly. The US never should have backed out of the deal, but Iran is continuing to respond in a way that only further hurts themselves. Pushing the EU to eventually slap their own sanctions back on them makes zero sense.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
It makes zero sense for Iran to do this in the long run. The only outcome will be the EU eventually re-applying their own sanctions on and an already economically devastated Iran.
given the US's propensity to elect republicans, the only hope of long term safety against invasion Iran can have is a nuclear deterrent.

Esp since, as seen with NK, once one has been acquired, the US seems to become more willing to negotiate.

Oct 25, 2017
lmao imagine trusting the future of your country on the result of the US election

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
given the US's propensity to elect republicans, the only hope of long term safety against invasion Iran can have is a nuclear deterrent.

Esp since, as seen with NK, once one has been acquired, the US seems to become more willing to negotiate.
The US isn't going to invade Iran and Iran knows this. They're only worsening the situation for themselves.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
This is what happens when you're gonna get sanctioned whether you pursue nuclear material or not.
Pretty much. I expected Iran to stick to the terms of the deal after the US pulled out as all of the other partners were still on board. But after they were getting sanctioned to hell and back no matter what they did? Fuck that. Might as well go back to business as usual. (That said, the EU is going to sanction them now as well... but Iran probably expected those to happen due to US pressure even if they did nothing.)

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

Seriously, Iran has no reason not to build a bomb and tell everyone to fuck off. They honored their deal and were doing it and we shit on them for it.

And given its Trump it's reasonable to think once they have a bomb he will be their best friend

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
The US isn't going to invade Iran and Iran knows this. They're only worsening the situation for themselves.
Iran knows that about as much as NK knew that they wouldnt get invaded cuz they got Seoul in their sights.

The US wont invade iran provided they have a rational, somewhat good faith actor in charge. Republicans aint that. Papa T especially aint that.

Also a reminder that Rouhani is the temperate president. Come 2021 Ahmadinejad's party might make a comeback partially due to all the US saber rattling, and you betcha theyll go right back to pursuing that.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Going to be really funny to see the reactions to this news compared to people (again) falling over themselves to give Trump credit for his PR photos with Kim.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Going to be really funny to see the reactions to this news compared to people (again) falling over themselves to give Trump credit for his PR photos with Kim.

He'll ignore the withdrawal and sanctions, and just state that this is what they wanted to do all along. Trump supporters will just drink it right up, as usual.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The US is not only sanctioning Iran, but also sanctions EU companies (and thus countries) that still want to work together with Iran or do business there. Most EU companies stopped working with Iran in order to not get sanctioned by the US.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
This is essentially Iran's way to force Europe their hand. They've threatened with this if the EU partners still in the deal do not do more to alleviate the pressure of the sanctions. Will be really interesting to see what the EU partners will do. And fuck the United States for getting us in this mess in the first place.