• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stew

Dec 2, 2017

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Iran leadership doesn't understand the words "nice" or "compassion," they never have. Sadly, the thing they do understand is Strength and Power, and the USA is by far the most powerful Military Force in the world, with 1.5 Trillion Dollars invested over the last two years alone..

....The wonderful Iranian people are suffering, and for no reason at all. Their leadership spends all of its money on Terror, and little on anything else. The U.S. has not forgotten Iran's use of IED's & EFP's (bombs), which killed 2000 Americans, and wounded many more...

....Iran's very ignorant and insulting statement, put out today, only shows that they do not understand reality. Any attack by Iran on anything American will be met with great and overwhelming force. In some areas, overwhelming will mean obliteration. No more John Kerry & Obama!

10:42 AM - Jun 25, 2019

Threaded tweet not written by Donald.

Such self awareness.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I wish one of these foreign leaders would come out and straight up say "we look forward to negotiating with a rational and intelligent President of the United States in 2020."

That would really piss Trump off.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Stolen from twitter:

D69evfMXkAEwAgX

D69ebgbXYAEWBwK

D69eEMcWwAADe7Q

D69dv1xXYAE9oeW

D69de9QW0BoiPWb

Projection, thy name is Republican.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I love how he brags about spending $1.5 trillion in two years on their military, all the while Flint still doesn't have clean drinking water and infrastructure is going to shit across the country.
It fucking baffles me how few people have absolutely no problem wasting this much money on the military.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pentagon says it was shot over International waters. I mean like if that's true you have to respond in some way.
American government doesn't lie at all, especially when it comes to starting a war so this is without a doubt, 100% factual

The only thing more honest than the US gov and potential wars is American police and their encounters with black citizens.

Iran fucked up

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
It's an interesting translation. What's the chances they translator chose that word knowing it would trigger a debate that would mask the actual meat and potatoes of the full statement?
Of course, plenty biting too.
Not every country cares about such things like some people in America do. Im pretty sure they meant every word. Similar to Kim calling him a dotard. People think Trump is a dumb ass.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

tho i had a laugh for a moment i agree with this. the consequences of using the wrong words are magnified when information spreads so fast (and the opposing party just listens to the dumbest sources and never fact checks).

In fact this mistranslation could have a pronounced effect on Trumps policy at this point, sad as it sounds.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
tho i had a laugh for a moment i agree with this. the consequences of using the wrong words are magnified when information spreads so fast (and the opposing party just listens to the dumbest sources and never fact checks).

In fact this mistranslation could have a pronounced effect on Trumps policy at this point, sad as it sounds.

I feel like even if the actual translation was presented accurately you would get the same response. This is North Korea all over again except this time no one will stop Trump from starting war in the middle east.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
FUCK.

At my school growing up, there was one huge kid. like heads taller than all the others. He was a violent kid with a meanstreak and would frequently hurt people that accidentally crossed his path. He intimidated EVERYONE.

SImulataneously, we had a psycho basketball coach that watched us all during recess. One day, psycho coach couldnt take it that all the kids wouldnt flock at the doors when recess was over, so he takes the closest basketball he could find and kicks it as HARD AS HE CAN, nick nolte in blue chips style. Big scary kid was sitting at the top of the bleachers, facing away and turned at the last second, catching this 80 mph basketball directly in the nose.

BIG KID STANDS UP, straight faced and STARES DOWN THE COACH. A single tear rolls down big kids face. The whole gym goes SILENT. I swear, psycho coach even froze and took a reluctant gulp. The situation settled down because I assume big kid didnt want to assault an old douchebag but yeah, those moments of tension feel like THIS SITUATION, RIGHT NOW.

FUUUUUCK.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Trump is trying to weigh whether it helps himself to attack Iran or not attack Iran.

He's considering personal insults on the world stage vs. aggressive counter-attack on Iranian military forces, wondering if Iran is trying to trick him into military action by teasing him for being a coward.

He's afraid oil prices shooting up might stall the economy and hit the stock market, following a counter-attack, and since he's in election mode, he doesn't want to upset the economy, as it's the only thing he has any sort of bragging rights about at the moment.

National Security plays no role in his thoughts. This is all about Trump's image to his voting base. He'd let Putin have US nuclear codes if it meant 4 more years in the White House and a possible Trump Tower in Moscow in 2025.

He'll project, spin, deflect, pivot, collude, conspire, lie... whatever it takes for self-affirmation.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
An exasperated Mr Rouhani said: "You sanction the foreign minister simultaneously with a request for talks?"

This administration is a fucking embarrassment.

Let us not forget that unlike China and NK, this is a crisis that they've created out of thin air. Idiots.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mentally retarded was not always a slur or offensive term in English. Retard is a verb (pronounced like Zach Galifianakis does in The Hangover), and saying someone was mentally retarded meant they were "slow in developing" or "held back." It wasn't an insult. Then people started using it as a noun, someone who was mentally retarded was "a retard." Cruel and insensitive to say the least. Then it became a derogatory/insulting word for anyone you didn't like or thought was dumb. Well, on top of the cruelty from before, now we're associating any bad trait with someone who, through no fault of their own, has a handicap which in no way diminishes their value or character.

So, when talking languages...is there some 1:1 example in Farsi of this history of the (offensive noun) retard? It could be that the equivalent of "mentally handicapped" and "mentally retarded" has no such baggage in Farsi, and it just sounds much worse to us given that history when it's a literal translation. But it's still being used as an insult and in a derogatory way, and is a disservice to those who are handicapped. So I'm not really seeing how this is just a translation issue. Would it be better if he said had mental difficulties? Mental issues? Never got the love he needed from daddy as a child? I don't think there's a real way to say this which doesn't conflate Trump's narcissistic derangement with people who already don't need that kind of stigma.

Oct 25, 2017
Trump will not believe or listen to the mistranslation. The damage is done.

He shouldn't be getting translations from Twitter in any case. It why there is a whole State Department with diplomats and analysts to parse these statements before reacting.

Mistranslating by a journalist isn't the cause of him talking that comment, it's Trump's own stupidity

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Iran leadership doesn't understand the words "nice" or "compassion," they never have. Sadly, the thing they do understand is Strength and Power, and the USA is by far the most powerful Military Force in the world, with 1.5 Trillion Dollars invested over the last two years alone..

....The wonderful Iranian people are suffering, and for no reason at all. Their leadership spends all of its money on Terror, and little on anything else. The U.S. has not forgotten Iran's use of IED's & EFP's (bombs), which killed 2000 Americans, and wounded many more...

....Iran's very ignorant and insulting statement, put out today, only shows that they do not understand reality. Any attack by Iran on anything American will be met with great and overwhelming force. In some areas, overwhelming will mean obliteration. No more John Kerry & Obama!

10:42 AM - Jun 25, 2019

Threaded tweet not written by Donald.

Thanks for proving our point!
- Iran

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Thread title updated to reflect the more accurate translation.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My God, what a moron.

The icing on the cake is that the US never attacked Iran during Obama's eight years in office.

Maybe not with conventional weaponry, but there were cyber-attacks - the most prominent being the Stuxnet worm developed jointly by the US and Israel that attacked the PLCs of their uranium enrichment facilities.

Oct 27, 2017
#HeyMoron

Hey moron: the third line of the Iran Nuclear Deal guaranteed just that. Maybe you should have read it before you tore it up.