• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
What's with the thread titles regarding this game/EA on this site (yeah it was changed already). Another #gamersriseup esque thread was the "EA and Respawn says fuck you for being poor". Blocking the games does really suck though for all the people not being able to play them, they seem like great games. Hopefully the issue can be resolved.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
EA is acting on the sanctions which is fair but they should have announced it publicly

That would have been an incredibly dumb thing to do, inserting themselves into such a conversation.

I am very sorry for your troubles my friend. It seems you are stuck between EA's unwillingness/incompetency to adapt like XBOX/steam and Trump stupid politics.

FFS, EA has nothing to do with this! You don't 'adapt' by defying US sanctions as an American company.

Jeez.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are not all that separate.
yeah they are, i feel like you should just read up on it more. JCPOA deals with specific issues, and ask very specific things of iran in exchange for very specific things from other parties. it's not a general, two paragraph, "you be good we'll be good" deal, it's a very comprehensive 160 page long deal (that's why it took years to reach the deal), and as long as iran keeps their part of the deal they're entitled to the perks they should get out of it. as confirmed by the IAEA (international atomic energy agency) like 15 times, iran has yet to this day stuck to it and done nothing against it. the US, very illegally, decided to get out of the deal. of course, them being the US, they're powerful enough to get away with anything but if iran had one-sidedly gotten out of it you can be sure that we were being bombed and invaded at this very moment.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
yeah they are, i feel like you should just read up on it more. JCPOA deals with specific issues, and ask very specific things of iran in exchange for very specific things from other parties. it's not a general, two paragraph, "you be good we'll be good" deal, it's a very comprehensive 160 page long deal (that's why it took years to reach the deal), and as long as iran keeps their part of the deal they're entitled to the perks they should get out of it. as confirmed by the IAEA (international atomic energy agency) like 15 times, iran has yet to this day stuck to it and done nothing against it. the US, very illegally, decided to get out of the deal. of course, them being the US, they're powerful enough to get away with anything but if iran had one-sidedly gotten out of it you can be sure that we were being bombed and invaded at this very moment.

I know that. My point is that such harsh sanctions were imposed in the first place because they were perceived as a bigger threat than other countries with nuclear programs.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that. My point is that such harsh sanctions were imposed in the first place because they were perceived as a bigger threat than other countries with nuclear programs.
you said "but let's not pretend Iran isn't making it hard for everybody to keep the deal" and "They are not all that separate".
they are sperate issues, and iran is doing nothing to make it hard for anyone to keep the deal, as they're still 100% keeping to it themselves.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Please read: LIKE XBOX/STEAM . Thank you.

There are reports of account restrictions for both Xbox Live and PSN for Iranian gamers. Definitely no official support for this country on both services.
Blizzard and Origin block Iran due to the sanctions.

Valve HAS in the past done quite a bit to skirt around sanction restrictions, but it looks like Crimea is still under block by Steam to comply with US sanctions.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
you said "but let's not pretend Iran isn't making it hard for everybody to keep the deal" and "They are not all that separate".
they are sperate issues, and iran is doing nothing to make it hard for anyone to keep the deal, as they're still 100% keeping to it themselves.

You are right, but the JCPOA is on thin ice (especially since the US pulled out and is constantly pressuring the EU on that matter). Breaking it up isn't just a matter of failing to meet the specific terms of the agreement. More hostile actions from the Iranian government will make it politically tough for the EU to keep its part of the deal.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
There are reports of account restrictions for both Xbox Live and PSN for Iranian gamers. Definitely no official support for this country on both services.
Blizzard and Origin block Iran due to the sanctions.

Valve HAS in the past done quite a bit to skirt around sanction restrictions, but it looks like Crimea is still under block by Steam to comply with US sanctions.

Still, even if this is much true, they indeed adapted and offer service where EA did not.

Let our Iranian brethren tell us how is the functionality of steam and XB/ps4.

Crimea is a separate case, and do not forget Putin and Trump are BFF.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know videogames are affected by these sanctions. That goes completely against the spirit of videogames like this. What a huge load of bullshit.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are right, but the JCPOA is on thin ice (especially since the US pulled out and is constantly pressuring the EU on that matter). Breaking it up isn't just a matter of failing to meet the specific terms of the agreement. More hostile actions from the Iranian government will make it politically tough for the EU to keep its part of the deal.
how is it on thin ice when russia, china, britian, germany and france keep reiterating that they are committed to the deal? at this point it's only iran who may get out of it (and they have a right to do that, as they aren't really benefitting from it).
as i said, you are conflating other things (like the missile program) and the EU's reaction to them with the nuclear deal. as long as iran wants to stick to the deal, JCPOA is safe. unlike the US where the leader is a complete moron, other nations have some sense and know that a deal that took years to reach isn't something they should tear up, and also know that other issues (like the missile program, iran's influence in other middle east countries) should be negotiated separately and as part of another deal.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
It was a political move in the US that had nothing to do with the actions of the Iranian government, but let's not pretend Iran isn't making it hard for everybody to keep the deal. Just last month the EU imposed sanctions on Iran again for the assassination plots and it hasn't ruled out further sanctions.

The Iranian government is not the victim here.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. I've been to Iran and it's a wonderful place with wonderful people, but that doesn't excuse the disregard for human rights, the lack of basic freedoms and the heinous acts they commit through their sphere of influence on other countries.

This.

The Iranian government needs to stop their Russia-esque meddling and destabilising of the region before I'm able to consider feeling any sympathy for them.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Iranian government needs to stop their Russia-esque meddling and destabilising of the region before I'm able to consider feeling any sympathy for them.
the US (and their allies, saudi arabia and israel) are the main sources of destabilization in the region.

nah it's pretty clear who's sticking their fingers in business that's not theirs from a whole different continent and causing shit when they shouldn't be there in the first place.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I decided to contact EA Games and I asked my friends to do the same to find out what EA has to say about this issue. The answers from EA will shock you that how unprofessional and how insulting their support is toward Iranian gamers.

9fe67f_fe4c9cca393c46ce8b06d2f6d89dd079~mv2.webp

9fe67f_0fdb277fa6cb45dba709fd5c48f056a7~mv2.webp

9fe67f_3ac484e9ce654130b7b3e659c046457f~mv2.webp

9fe67f_099472a4f0c94348a267bd3c72e9329e~mv2.webp

9fe67f_099472a4f0c94348a267bd3c72e9329e~mv2.webp

read more

What else is the support staff supposed to say? This way above their influence.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
So politics and bad relationships between countries can affect how people play video games! That's a shame especially with a time where most games need to be connected in order to play.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
They are not all that separate. Sanctions on Iran are harsher because it is rightfully perceived as a bigger threat than other countries with nuclear programs. That's why Pakistan and India receive a slap in the wrist while Iran and North Korea get real sanctions.

Sanctions are harsh on Iran because it's in the US geopolitical interest to destabilise the country and try to effect regime change there. This is to benefit themselves and their allies in the region (mainly Israel).

So hypocritical people in the west wagging fingers at Iran. How many countries have the west and their allies ruined just in the past few years alone? How many countries are engulfed in chaos now following American/EU bombing and 'regime change'?

Anyway apologies if this is off-topic.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This.

If the EU are satisfied with their conduct then I'm lead to believe Iran are making changes and obeying rules required to keep the deal intact. Prosperity is perhaps a good preventative measure, so I'm not sure the opposite (unfair sanctions) is going achieve what you expressed, and ends up collectively punishing millions.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Shitty situation, but probably nothing EA can do... hope this restriction doesn't spread to other US publishers.

This whole sanction tactic has done more to harm the Iranian people than the government unfortunately.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
nah it's pretty clear who's sticking their fingers in business that's not theirs from a whole different continent and causing shit when they shouldn't be there in the first place.
I fully agree that the US (and Israel, Russia, the EU, etc.) are meddling in things they have no part in. But, let's not pretend Iran isn't trying to increase their power in places like Qatar and Yemen. Or Iraq/Syria.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
iran is only reacting to the fact that a blood thirsty nation (meaning their government) that is not even subtle about wanting to over throw its regime has military bases ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY.

Iran is doing (and has been doing) much more than just reacting. You can't tell me they're just acting in defence when they're aggressively moving towards their long held goal of becoming the dominant regional superpower by extending their tentacles into every country in the area.

hmmmm....You sure you don't mean The United States Of America?

Again, you don't need to whatabout me when it comes to US interference.

If the EU are satisfied with their conduct then I'm lead to believe Iran are making changes and obeying rules required to keep the deal intact. Prosperity is perhaps a good preventative measure, so I'm not sure the opposite (unfair sanctions) is going achieve what you expressed, and ends up collectively punishing millions.

You're talking about nuclear sanctions.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these hot takes in here, Jesus. Insulting Iranians over political disagreements is an absolutely poor taste move.

OP, sorry you can't play those games, I hope you find a way. It sucks that you're being affected by the sanctions. :(

[See how easy it is to offer sympathy without making some ill-informed statement with 0 basis in fact about Iran? Wow, amazing, what kind of magic is this]

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iran is doing (and has been doing) much more than just reacting. You can't tell me they're just acting in defence when they're aggressively moving towards their long held goal of becoming the dominant regional superpower by extending their tentacles into every country in the area.
again, as a country with a regime that's in danger of being overthrown by the US, and having neighbors like saudi arabia and israel (trump got out of the deal in part because he was persuaded by those two), it's completely understandable why they would want to influence and get allies in the region.
i'm not saying what they're doing is right, but it is mostly as a result of their longevity being seriously in danger.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
again, as a country with a regime that's in danger of being overthrown by the US, and having neighbors like saudi arabia and israel (trump got out of the deal in part because he was persuaded by those two), it's completely understandable why they would want to influence and get allies in the region.
i'm not saying what they're doing is right, but it is mostly as a result of their longevity being seriously in danger.

This is a more honest answer.

And it's a shame the people of Iran are the ones affected by these geopolitical actions. The Iran deal gave me hope that things would become better. I still want to visit your beautiful country.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
Took this thread only three pages to point out the real problem in the region and call it by name.

So let the shit show begin. I'll show myself out.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

To be honest this has been their goal ever since the revolution, so blaming Trump and self-defence isn't really an excuse.

Anyway this isn't the place for such a conversation, and as others have said it's unfortunate that sanctions hit the common people hardest.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
As an Iranian, reading most posts in the first page almost made me puke. Didn't expect to see this kind of reactions here.

I mean, don't you see those instantly closing chats 'insulting'? Yeah I know it's not EA's fault but at least they can explain the situation to people and make it clear. Closing the chat is way too harsh!

Actually I had many chats with EA HELP because I'm a FIFA player and this game is filled with connection problems, and almost every single one of them never helped me at any problems that I had at the time. But that's because they can't do shit. It's not like they don't want to help. They just don't have the power.

From what I've seen through my chats with them, I can tell that they weren't helpful most of the time, but they were so kind to me. And now I think the reason for that kindness was just the fact that I didn't tell them where do I live. Disgusting.

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Hate all these politicians and politics.
The only one losing are common humans.

People can get along if it weren't for politics and politicians and their greed.

Oct 27, 2017
Man this thread shows how much ignorance we have in the west. Some terrible posts in here.

EA could have handled it better instead of shutting the chat out of nowhere but over all I don't blame them as much as Trump. Hopefully we see some kind of alternative the players in Iran. Fuck Trump.

Nov 4, 2017
This.

Uh, I really hope you're not American... You realise the US has been bombing the middle east non-stop for almost 30 years, right?

Sucks for people looking to play the game in Iran. What troubles me most us the weird "uhh, gotta go..." response from EA. They could at least have some kind of canned response about trade restrictions or the old "we will look in to it".

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I fully agree that the US (and Israel, Russia, the EU, etc.) are meddling in things they have no part in. But, let's not pretend Iran isn't trying to increase their power in places like Qatar and Yemen. Or Iraq/Syria.

When it comes to Iraq, The Iraqi government asked help from Iran to stop Isis. While the neighbors kept calling isis a revolution and sent more soldiers, weapons and suiciders.
Neighbors and their allies are a joke.
If it weren't for Iran isis would have taken the whole country.

Same goes for Syria, The asked for help.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to Iraq, The Iraqi government asked help from Iran to stop Isis. While the neighbors kept calling isis a revolution and sent more soldiers, weapons and suiciders.
Neighbors and their allies are a joke.
If it weren't for Iran isis would have taken the whole country.

Same goes for Syria, The asked for help.
all true. as for qatar, iran has no influence there, after saudi arabia and their puppets unjustly boycotted the country, iran helped them and enabled ways to export goods to the country
again, its saudi arabia and them creating, sponsoring and financing anti shia terrorism in the region that is the root of most of its problems.

Neurom

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Umm this is a political issue than a gaming one, no one is insulting your country, this thread needs to be removed...

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Are EA alone in doing this? All that aside however, 2/3 of the support reps end of the conversation was pretty rude I'd say especially "I need to disconnect now". Do they feel they're at risk by interacting with Iranian citizens?

Edit: This thread is a difficult read. No wonder people eat up shit like Argo.

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
Yeah I work as an outsourcer for Google support and we can't help anyone who contacts from Iran or a few other countries. It's a shame but these companies aren't going to risk massive fines by breaking sanctions.

Neurom

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are EA alone in doing this? All that aside however, 2/3 of the support reps end of the conversation was pretty rude I'd say especially "I need to disconnect now". Do they feel their at risk by interacting with Iranian citizens?

Edit: This thread is a difficult read. No wonder people eat up shit like Argo.

I guess the reps sort of have a broad rule book to go by and then every individual rep has his/her interpretation around it...I guess it's so abrupt cause they have been told to keep it that way...not the reps fault how to behave on a geopolitical situation...OP should remove the reps posts he just seems to act like an angry child with the reps when they have nothing to do with the whole thing.

Edit : the fact that he has left the names intact shows his anger/hatred towards the poor guys, the decent thing would have been to edit those out

The EA thing is again policy driven, I mean there are a whole lot of things regarding sanctions everyone can argue on but is this space the right platform to do so?

Last edited:

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
The way I see it, other US gaming companies are providing services to gamers in Iran without being fined by the US government. EA and Blizzard have gone out of their way to block ip addresses from within Iran. It's not like they are accepting money and transactions from within Iran. Iranians are paying for games and online services by buying gift cards and such, purchased through third parties. So pointing out to the US sanction as an excuse is bullshit.