• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Since the launch of Apex Legends and Anthem. Iranian gamers can't access these games on PC, Xbox One and PS4. Every other game released before from EA works perfectly well but if you are an Iranian gamer, simply wanting to play Apex Legends you get this error:

9fe67f_ff75d58fc91441e088704f46a2bdee65~mv2_d_1200_1200_s_2.webp

" Unable to connect to EA Servers. Please check your Internet connection and try again. See ea.com/unable-to-connect for more information."

This is a massive problem and no one in Iran can't access EA anymore and Twitter is filled with this issue. There is a workaround however and that is using VPN with another country's IP. This way you can play EA games fine but with the cost of going to the problem of using a VPN and of course, that means a high ping and an awful experience.

I decided to contact EA Games and I asked my friends to do the same to find out what EA has to say about this issue. The answers from EA will shock you that how unprofessional and how insulting their support is toward Iranian gamers.

9fe67f_fe4c9cca393c46ce8b06d2f6d89dd079~mv2.webp

9fe67f_0fdb277fa6cb45dba709fd5c48f056a7~mv2.webp

9fe67f_3ac484e9ce654130b7b3e659c046457f~mv2.webp

9fe67f_099472a4f0c94348a267bd3c72e9329e~mv2.webp

9fe67f_099472a4f0c94348a267bd3c72e9329e~mv2.webp

read more

Last edited:

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
How is that an insult?

They are acting in compliance with US sanctions, it's not their fault.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I am insulted and banned on a regular basis during Blizzard Overwatch maintenance it seems.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The major (US) company that I work for still restricts all sales to Iran, it's pretty common. But it's due to politics rather than anything else. EA isn't alone here.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I know you are just using the thread title in the article but you might want to include the conversations with EA in your OP.

It seems like it's the US sanctions that are giving the problems here and of course an EA tech support guy isn't going to go into detail about this at all.

So sounds like a US government issue not an EA issue to me.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Inflammatory Thread Derail, Accumulated Infractions
You know what else is banned in Iran? Freedom.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Really sucks that you can't play a game because of sanctions. And these type of games are supposed to be the future?

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't this thread title literally fake news? Really unsettling seeing this kind of thing on Resetera.

OP
OP
RevengeTaken

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Fucked over by their own government, yes. Fucked over by international politics, yes. Fucked over by EA multiple times in unrelated cases, probably?

But in this case, not by EA.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
This sucks but it is not an insult. EA wants you to play their games and spend money on them. This is likely not their fault.

Jun 26, 2018
Those support people could have mentioned they were acting according to the embargoes in their chat instead of just disconnecting though.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
OP didn't bother to read the article they linked and posted a misleading title.

EA getting unfair criticism here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What kind of embargo would prevent a f2p game server from operating in the country? Is there just a blanket ban on any US corporation taking Iranian citizen money?

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
What the hell kind of communication US sanctions has to do with iranian gamers and videogames?! We're not political and we just wanna play games, just like every other gamers all around the world!
But every company has to act according to law tho. It sucks that the US-Iran relations are like this, but what can you do.
EA isn't a NGO.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell kind of communication US sanctions has to do with iranian gamers and videogames?! We're not political and we just wanna play games, just like every other gamers all around the world!
That's how sanctions work.
Your government is doing things that the US government has a problem with, and economic sanctions apply pressure for that to change.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not permitted for a US business to trade with Iran. Video games, even free ones are still a service provided.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this situation. Your government actions are responsable for this unfortunately. You hope you find another way to play the game

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people always putting thread titles that make it sound like support are being terrible. When they're being perfectly courteous and it's clearly just what they're being told.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017

What do you think a sanction is? It's hurting the people on other places where it hurts even more, to exert pressure effectively. Whether the sanctions are a good thing is something else.

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly that's what those sanctions are meant to do. Damaging the industry and civilians in hopes of them putting increasing pressure on the government to comply with whatever the other side wants.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this situation. Your government actions are responsable for this unfortunately. You hope you find another way to play the game

What the hell are you talking about?

OP
OP
RevengeTaken

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
We've the same problem with Fortnite BR too, but fortunately it's only related to downloading data from epic servers!

Oct 27, 2017
that sucks, but not really EA's fault here.

as an iranian, kindly fuck all the way off. we can be bothered by a game being banned and blocked here without your ass needing to point out what else is banned.
Blame your government not EA was my point. The whole situation sucks, there is nothing more miserable than living under a totalitarian regime. I hope you and your people find their way to freedom you guys have suffered enough

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP didn't bother to read the article they linked and posted a misleading title.

EA getting unfair criticism here.
while it's a very clickbait title, i do think EA could have done better by properly informing people that are using their support. This canned "Oh we can't help you. Bye byeeeeeeee!" is not a great look.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
EA can't take money from Iranian banking institutions, therefore, you.

It sucks but they applied the sanctions from the date they were restored by Trump. They could've acted retrospectively but thankfully did not.

The support teams literally are powerless here.