• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
After two trials described by Amnesty International as "grossly unfair," Iranian human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh has been sentenced to a total of 38 years in prison and 148 lashes.

Link here

As someone who was born in Iran and got out at a young age, I am thankful that I was able to escape all this. This shit is just so sad and it makes me so angry.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Edited out my original post. Honestly didn't expect that reaction. Lamenting injustice everywhere, not trying to minimize one issue or drag in another. Don't mean to derail. My apologies.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Punishing defense lawyers for "crimes" their clients committed is a great way to make sure there won't be any more defense lawyers.

Which I'm sure the Iranian government is perfectly fine with.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I bet many people got the same punishment or worse, but the media never covered them. 38 years for this seems harsh even by the standards of a backward regime.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Iran, WTF you doing?!?

Its unfortunate to see the control the Ayatollah and general religious BS still has over the country.

Not to mention the horrific chilling effect it has on literally every other defense lawyer in the country.

Feb 15, 2018
tenor.gif

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking barbarians. This is the sort of stuff you apply pressure on when negotiating relief from sanctions.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Lashes?

We're still living in the 1500s? Want to dunk them underwater to see if they have any magical powers while you're at it?

Fucking monsters..

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck everyone involved that helped to give her that sentence. I hope she is freed at some point. Fucking bullshit.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Fucking barbaric and stupid beyond words. Stupid religious nuts and their wish to suppress women. I'll donate to HRW to hopefully stop this 1600 punishment.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does the lawyer go to jail, isn't that her job?

Do you go to jail for defending murderers?

I'm confused. Was the trial so supposed to take place with no defense council?

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Punishing defense lawyers for "crimes" their clients committed is a great way to make sure there won't be any more defense lawyers.

Which I'm sure the Iranian government is perfectly fine with.

Theres a difference between the Iranian govt and the theocratic govt. Im not an expert but there is a large swathe of democrats in Iran who've unfortunately lost to the theocrats after the revolution.

though there is a lotta hope in the Iranian youth to turn things around!

Apr 16, 2018
I'm confused.

Do the lashes come first, or the sentence?

Nobody's surviving 148+ lashes. Not even a tenth of that. This is monstrous.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Are the 148 lashes given in 1 session?

Can you imagine being struck like this
LashingIran.jpg

ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-EIGHT TIMES?

Absolute barbarism.