• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Supreme leader got salty, lmao
In the received documents, the court has convicted Mr. Nikan Khosravi to two years of imprisonment for three counts of insulting the Supreme Leader and the president. He has been sentenced to 6 months of imprisonment and 74 lashes for allegedly disturbing public opinion through the production of music containing anti-regime lyrics and insulting content and for participating in interviews with the opposition media.
Good on Norway for stepping in~~~

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Drill music is pretty well linked with gang activity and other shit like that. No matter how people try to dress it up as just innocent music, it certainly isn't, and the people involved certainly aren't.

Drill is an international genre of music with nearly a decade worth of mainstream recognition. Ridiculous to assume everyone involved with it (now or in the future) is dangerous. Borderline conspiratorial. Been drinking that BBC koolaid i see. Lmao, innocent? Don't see anyone pretending that life for black men in London is innocent. Their music is a reflection of their lives, you ban drill and you ban one of the very few legal ways of escaping poverty.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Nah, how about fuck you instead.

You could have made your point without being insulting, but you couldn't help yourself.

I'm trying to figure out which is thinner: your skin or the logic within a belief system that encourages torture and hatred towards anyone who dare questions its legitimacy? Don't be so quick to lash out at anyone who expresses passionate disdain for the suffering wrought on the actual to sycophantically please the improbable. Your noble defense is likely not solely responsible for getting you a VIP seat in the cosmos.

Oct 28, 2017
Drill is an international genre of music with nearly a decade worth of mainstream recognition. Ridiculous to assume everyone involved with it (now or in the future) is dangerous. Borderline conspiratorial. Been drinking that BBC koolaid i see. Lmao, innocent? Don't see anyone pretending that life for black men in London is innocent. Their music is a reflection of their lives, you ban drill and you ban one of the very few legal ways of escaping poverty.

You say this but there's been plenty of gang activity and even deaths related to stupid "diss tracks" and other shit related to drill music. There's a reason these two fuds got treated like they did. I'd expect the same if anyone went around burning churches and making NSBM. Oh wait, that already fucking happened.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You say this but there's been plenty of gang activity and even deaths related to stupid "diss tracks" and other shit related to drill music. There's a reason these two fuds got treated like they did. I'd expect the same if anyone went around burning churches and making NSBM. Oh wait, that already fucking happened.

Wiat, you're talking about two unrelated musicians right, not the metal band from the OP?

Contrite

Dec 12, 2017
Well, it's quite common in Metal to talk shit about governments and religions so it's highly likely they did indeed have "blasphemous" lyrics. That should not sentence anyone to prison or death either way.

It's good that they managed to take refuge in Norway. Let's just hope that the Norwegians will refuse extradition if/when requested.

I mean, we still keep Mullah Krekar around, despite both Iraq and the US wanting to get their hands on him for over a decade at this point. So I assume they'll be safe, lol.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
gj Norway. i hope they enjoy life there, and play even harder.

i wonder how Al-Namrood is doing in Saudi Arabia, playing Black Metal there is just.. insanely brave.

there was also a metal band in Syria playing gigs while being occupied by fucking ISIS... blew my mind, in a Youtube video a guy is tuning his guitar or sth and gesturing in a direction saying ISIS is right there and they would kill the band right away if they saw or heard them. just wow. they were supposed to make a documentary if they survived, called Syrian Metal is War (i think). wonder what became of that..

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

Attack the root problem - lack of social support for lower working class minorities. The gov has been shamelessly gutting youth centres for example. Ostracising a music genre is a band aid solution.

Especially a genre so vaguely defined like drill. They'll just move past the label and call it something else.

Oct 28, 2017
Attack the root problem - lack of social support for lower working class minorities. The gov has been shamelessly gutting youth centres for example. Ostracising a music genre is a band aid solution.

I think its possible to prosecute the open glorifying of that lifestyle at the same time as supplying avenues out of grim situations. Some people won't want help out of it too, and will continue to desire the "gangster" lifestyle because they think its cool and desirable.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I think its possible to prosecute the open glorifying of that lifestyle at the same time as supplying avenues out of grim situations. Some people won't want help out of it too, and will continue to desire the "gangster" lifestyle because they think its cool and desirable.

I don't know man. I don't trust this government to know where to draw the line between glorifying a lifestyle and presenting your truth.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the prophet...

Lashing as a sentence? 14.5 years for playing metal? This is fucking stupid. Well, religion is general is.
I'm gonna get a lot of shit for this..
But in my opinion -- the legitimization of any religion enables this kind of bullshit.

Can we, as people, fucking admit that it's all bullshit already and be better people?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
"If you insult the Prophet you will get executed, because he's dead and he can't defend himself. But if you blaspheme God and question his existence, he can forgive you. That was why we didn't get executed," Khosravi explains.

Uhhhh....so God can't forgive you for insulting the Prophet? I guess God has his limits/a lack in some abilities with them.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised by the sentencing. The Iranian regime is a complete joke.
This. I'm not gonna poke fun at the Islam religion because this government has proved they aren't about being religious. They are all about control and they use religion as a crutch, much like many others in the West. And if it wasn't Islam or Christianity, it would have been something else.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People can view their displeasure all day long, but they don't have to be insulting about it when doing so. Just as a person who has no religious beliefs needs to be insulted over theirs.

His slur towards the Prophet added nothing of worth to how the Iranian regime governs their society. It was a cheap shot.
Wow wtf. Are you going to justify the cruel and backward punishment in the Op for the prophet too??? You're part of the problem. Putting concern over insulting dead religious people over actual human rights.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight. Muhammed was supposedly chased out of a town by rock carrying youth, who stoned him and his companion to the point where their sandals were soaking with blood. Then Gabriel showed up and was like, "hey so god told me to let you know, that if you wanted to we can bury that town beneath a mountain" and Muhammed was like, "nah, maybe their children would be better than them." But make fun of him and that's a death sentence?

How can you go around telling stories about Muhammed's mercy when people would put animal shit on him while he prayed and he would tell his companions to let it go, and then turn around and want to murder people if they make fun of him?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
How can you go around telling stories about Muhammed's mercy when people would put animal shit on him while he prayed and he would tell his companions to let it go, and then turn around and want to murder people if they make fun of him?
Sharia law is medieval and stupid. It's not a fit for our era...it's 1500 years old.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I mean these laws (stories) are really just continuation of Hammurabi's Code. Islam is an update of Judaism. Christianity is a modification. It's all based on pagan stories and deities. For being anti polytheistic...and anti paganism, Islam has a lot of pagan rituals like animal sacrifice, derived from Judaism. It's a mess.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Heavy Metal in Baghdad is a really good documentary going over the trials and tribulations of playing metal in the Middle East FYI.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Really fucked up

Iran, as a nation, has a lot of potential, but these religious psychos in power will always impede progress in that country.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Countries that have lashings as punishment can get fucked.

Countries that have any sort of punishment for "blasphemy" and making fun of rulers can also collectively get fucked too. How insecure do you have to be in your religion, that you need to murder or inflict physical harm on people for daring to say something negative about it?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But in my opinion -- the legitimization of any religion enables this kind of bullshit.

Can we, as people, fucking admit that it's all bullshit already and be better people?
I wish.

Instead you get accused of being "intolerant," even on forums like Era.

Religion has no place in modern society and should be stigmatized.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
People can view their displeasure all day long, but they don't have to be insulting about it when doing so. Just as a person who has no religious beliefs needs to be insulted over theirs.

His slur towards the Prophet added nothing of worth to how the Iranian regime governs their society. It was a cheap shot.

You can not be fucking serious....

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019

It's 2019 and the majority of the world population still believes in gods. It's never gonna stop.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I mean these laws (stories) are really just continuation of Hammurabi's Code. Islam is an update of Judaism. Christianity is a modification. It's all based on pagan stories and deities. For being anti polytheistic...and anti paganism, Islam has a lot of pagan rituals like animal sacrifice, derived from Judaism. It's a mess.

Yeah old testament Judaism is pretty barbaric. We moved away from much of the nasty stuff but still need to get rid of more, especially the sexist shit.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the prophet alive in heaven? Seems like he can defend himself fine. Just send an angel or something or argue with the band once they die.

Oct 27, 2017

Poster has the word "witch" in their username. Time for stoning!

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I legit think these idots would die from a heart attack if they saw Islam versions of some of Slayers or Cradle of Filth's album covers.

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, or we just accept that freedom of speech in the 21st century is a lot more important than the right of some ass backwards people to not be insulted over their imaginary friends ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not questioning the importance of freedom of speech, just the usage by that particular poster. Freedom of speech is fine, but let's not ignore that there are limits even to it.

I mean, why would you want to go out of your way to offend the Muslim (or insert any faith or athirst group) users here? Discuss the regimes misguided practices, I'm all for it, but don't be offensive about an individual who isn't directly or indirectly responsible for what's happening right now.

I thought we were supposed to be able to communicate with each other knowing we have different beliefs and perspectives.

And I'm out of the loop because I didn't realize the Prophet's existence was in dispute, considering he was the subject matter of the quote I was replying to? Unless you mean something else by 'imaginary friend'?

I see what you did there.

I think it's all the more important that we CAN be insulting towards these religious figures to show just how nonsensical the idea is of someone getting EXECUTED for 'insulting' the prophet. How fucked up is that? Your outrage should be directed more towards people getting killed for singing a song that is deemed blasphemous, than some guy on the internet 'insulting the prophet'.

So let me clarify, because I realize online, things said and not said can be misconstrued, before I reply to your points.

I deliberately, when replying to the poster, kept my response to his actual post, rather than the subject in the OP. Mainly, because I agreed with most of the posters about how messed up the matter was and they said it better than I could. I responded to that particular post because nobody had and I thought a response was at least needed to it.

I disagree with you that being insulting towards religious or historical figures is the right tool to demonstrate how nonsensical they are. A better way would be to use counterpoints and arguments to achieve that result.

This: 'Fuck the Prophet...' isn't showing how nonsensical it is too have somebody being executed in the name of the Prophet.

I'm not close to being outraged over this post, as you suggest, but I am pretty peeved. But that's less so than the anger I feel over the misuse of power here - and to be clear I don't know this metal group and what their songs and lyrics contained, but wether them getting charged and sentenced for execution or the African American people getting murdered by cops in the US, or the mass shootings in Schools, or the innocents dying by drone attacks or wars for the sake of profits, and nobody seemingly in power willing to do anything about it, yes I am outraged over it and I stand with you and everybody here against all that and more.

That you care more about someone saying that instead of the band who were practically sentenced to death for doing the same definitely adds something to the conversation.

The only thing it says is that I haven't commented about that, but as you can see in my replies in this post, I have addressed that point to some degree.

And yes, I do think I added something to the conversation by highlighting a post that I think was wrong and stating my reasons for why.

As a Muslim, I found that comment rude, and as everyone was rightly concentrating on replying to the main story, I thought it was worth responding to that post. Just because I responded to him, doesn't mean I endorse the Iranian regime or their actions, there is room in this thread for breadth of discussion around this topic.

How do you think this Prophet feels about Sharia Law? Are Iranians doing a disservice or blaspheming the Prophet for sentencing people to death and medieval lashings for singing songs? I think the other guy has every right to call out this Prophet if this is the message he upholds.

Sharia means law, so Sharia Law means Law Law. Forgive me, not a dig at you, but that's what I hear. This answer you:

You asked how the Prophet feels about Sharia. The Sharia is present in the Qur'an and the hadith (the sayings and actions of the Prophet), they demonstrate how it is used and applied. There are numerous books of discourse on Sharia alone, and it can safely be said that no Islamic country follows the Sharia fully or with the full understanding. The Sharia that is implemented suits the needs of the ruling power in charge, similar to how democracies alter and apply their law. I do not know how the Prophet feels, he passed a long time ago.

Are Iranians doing a disservice or blaspheming the prophet? The lashings are for disturbing public opinion, so that's a national law that they're applying, as for murder, that depends on a case by case basis. You could say disservice, yes, in how they're applying the Sharia, I think. But I'm just a layman. Is it a disservice to humanity that innocent people are given the death penalty in the US? I think the answer is yes in both cases.

How can you supprt that posters assertion without actually reading up on what the Prophet said and did?

I'm trying to figure out which is thinner: your skin or the logic within a belief system that encourages torture and hatred towards anyone who dare questions its legitimacy? Don't be so quick to lash out at anyone who expresses passionate disdain for the suffering wrought on the actual to sycophantically please the improbable. Your noble defense is likely not solely responsible for getting you a VIP seat in the cosmos.

Well said, if trite.

I like how you equate me to having a thin skin for daring to respond to a comment someone wrote. Using phrases like 'quick to lash out' to paint me as an irrational barbarian, while painting posters I'm responding to as 'anyone who has passionate disdain for the suffering...', in so very righteous and benevolent light. Very nice picture you painted here. At least the others posters were legitimate in their responses, you are simply insidious.

Only my actions and deeds will take me wherever it is I am bound. I am not here seeking nobility, I have my own problems and flaws to deal with.

On a final note, now that the replies are done with:

I hope I've conveyed my perspective as much as I can at this moment in time. It's a bit time consuming on mobile. I'll try to clarify and address anything further and if I've made mistakes, I'll deal with that too.

One thing I would like to add is the nature or at least part of the nature of the Prophet in the lives of Muslims.

The most important person in our lives is our mother. Above her is Prophet Muhammad (saw) and above him is Allah (god).

You know how somebody says something bad about your mum and you get all riled up? That's how we feel when people disrespect the Prophet.

That doesn't mean you resort to violence. But that doesn't mean you can't speak out. Muslims are weak right now, so they remain silent or they resort to violence, one extreme or the other. So I thought I'd speak out.

It's strange, people think the problems in the world exist because of religion, but really it exists because of people. Religion is just a tool. And if it didn't exist, they'd just supplement something else in its place. That's my current thinking, for what's its worth.

As for the Iranian Regime and why it exists, history will tell you that. There's a lot of blame to go around. And if there is any justice in this world, a lot of people have it coming. All we can do is try to make the world a better place by striving to be the best we can be. In Arabic the term for that is Jihad. It means to strive, to struggle.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Man, Iran is all kinds of fucked up.

Is possible to think that the country on the whole would have been better off under the Shah? I realize that Pahlavi's installation as Shah is the result of a CIA Clusterfuck and that his coming to power was in many ways a human rights violation...but it seems like all the Iranian Revolution did was make things exponentially worse...

Plum

May 31, 2018
The only thing it says is that I haven't commented about that, but as you can see in my replies in this post, I have addressed that point to some degree.

And yes, I do think I added something to the conversation by highlighting a post that I think was wrong and stating my reasons for why.

As a Muslim, I found that comment rude, and as everyone was rightly concentrating on replying to the main story, I thought it was worth responding to that post. Just because I responded to him, doesn't mean I endorse the Iranian regime or their actions, there is room in this thread for breadth of discussion around this topic.

The rest of your replies barely mention the actual issue at hand here so I'm definitely willing to say that you care more about a throwaway comment than you do with the potential torture and jailing of completely innocent (yes, they're innocent) people.

And when you did mention Iran itself you threw a bunch of incorrect whataboutisms in there in some strange attempt to downplay the whole thing and reflect it back to unrelated problems in other countries. You then literally downplay the ruling by saying that it is "National Law," which completely ignores the religious-backing that such law has; since you're comparing this to America it would be like saying Alabama's backwards abortion laws are just "State law," instead of Christian-backed puritanical nonsense. That you later on say that Islamic violence is because they're "weak" right now (Muslims aren't weak in Muslim-led countries so it's false anyway, but I digress) and not because they're religious fundamentalists, and that "religion doesn't kill people, people kill people," are just more indicators of this weird attempt at justification.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Sharia means law, so Sharia Law means Law Law. Forgive me, not a dig at you, but that's what I hear. This answer you:

You asked how the Prophet feels about Sharia. The Sharia is present in the Qur'an and the hadith (the sayings and actions of the Prophet), they demonstrate how it is used and applied. There are numerous books of discourse on Sharia alone, and it can safely be said that no Islamic country follows the Sharia fully or with the full understanding. The Sharia that is implemented suits the needs of the ruling power in charge, similar to how democracies alter and apply their law. I do not know how the Prophet feels, he passed a long time ago.

Are Iranians doing a disservice or blaspheming the prophet? The lashings are for disturbing public opinion, so that's a national law that they're applying, as for murder, that depends on a case by case basis. You could say disservice, yes, in how they're applying the Sharia, I think. But I'm just a layman. Is it a disservice to humanity that innocent people are given the death penalty in the US? I think the answer is yes in both cases.

How can you supprt that posters assertion without actually reading up on what the Prophet said and did?
I've always heard it referred to as "Sharia law" and used it as such. But that's not the point.

This is what I'm reading about penal law as part of Sharia:

Offenses against another person, from homicide to assault, are punishable by retaliation (qiṣāṣ), the offender being subject to precisely the same treatment as the victim. This type of offense is regarded as a civil injury rather than a crime in the technical sense, since it is not the state but only the victim or the victim's family who has the right to prosecute and to opt for compensation or blood money (diyah) in place of retaliation.

For a handful of specific crimes, the punishment is fixed (ḥadd): death for apostasy, amputation of the hand for theft and of the hand and foot for highway robbery, death by stoning for extramarital sexual relations (zinā) when the offender is married and 100 lashes when the offender is unmarried, and 80 lashes for an unproved accusation of unchastity (qadhf) and for the drinking of any intoxicant.

Beyond the ḥadd crimes, both the determination of offenses and decisions regarding the punishment meted out for them lie within the discretion of the executive or the courts.

So, aside from a few exceptions, punishment is fluid and is at the discretion of the courts. However, I can't look at the punishment for blasphemy--which is death and a fixed punishment--and not feel that his is a barbaric and outdated set of laws that elevate religion over human rights and morality. This band were facing death at one point for singing about their religion.

How is this reasonable to any person? If Sharia was originally determined by Muhammad, than I guess Muhammad would approve of what the courts are wanting to do to these two guys. I cannot agree with it, nor tolerate it. It's a retaliatory and completely Draconian set of punishments that are excused because some divinity made it up 1400 years ago. Times have changed but Sharia has not.

And I agree that the death penalty in the US is an outdated form of punishment but it is not a punishment promoted by the Christian figurehead (if the Sermon on the Mount means anything, at least). Mohammad appears to actively promote this sort of retributive justice. Again, if so, Muhammad shares blame in this.