• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Iranian metal guerrillas Confess have been sentenced to 14 1/2 years in prison by the Revolutionary Tribunal of Tehran. For the crime of playing metal, frontman Nikan Khosravi has also been sentenced to 74 lashes.

In 2015, Confess made headlines worldwide after being arrested by Iran's Revolutionary Guard. Musicians Nikan Khosravi and Arash Ilkhani were thrown into solitary confinement and initially faced the death penalty for blasphemy and advertising against the system. According to Khosravi, Confess dodged execution due to a loophole in Iran's practice of Sharia Law.

"If you insult the Prophet you will get executed, because he's dead and he can't defend himself. But if you blaspheme God and question his existence, he can forgive you. That was why we didn't get executed," Khosravi explains.

Confess were eventually granted asylum in Norway, where the duo resides today.

Loudwire was able to obtain a legal document from the General Judiciary of the Province of Tehran outlining Confess' sentence, which was handed down on July 3:
Regarding the appeal of Mr. Arash Ilkhani and Mr. Nikan Khosravi, each of them have been convicted to 5 years in prison on charges of insulting the sanctity of Islam and one year in prison on charges of propaganda against the regime of the Islamic Republic of Iran, according to the set of contents, news, and received documents displaying the continuation of the activities, the court of appeals has found the allegations well-founded and precise. In the received documents, the court has convicted Mr. Nikan Khosravi to two years of imprisonment for three counts of insulting the Supreme Leader and the president. He has been sentenced to 6 months of imprisonment and 74 lashes for allegedly disturbing public opinion through the production of music containing anti-regime lyrics and insulting content and for participating in interviews with the opposition media. The accusation of attempting to leave the country has also been confirmed by the court. In this regard, Mr. Khosravi has been convicted to 4 years of imprisonment. Regarding Mr. Arash Ilkhani, the appeals court, by reviewing the contents of the case and considering his role in the production of content in the music group named "Confess" and his inactivity in the group during the trial, suspended 4 years from his 6 years of imprisonment and confirmed 2 years of his conviction.

The court declares this statement to reject the request of an appeal. This is the definitive vote.
In response to the sentencing, Confess have released the new song "Evin," named after the prison where the musicians were held after their 2015 arrest.

Confess have also announced the title of their next album, Revenge at All Costs. The track listing, artwork and release date will be revealed soon. To support Confess, follow the band on Instagram.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
In the received documents, the court has convicted Mr. Nikan Khosravi to two years of imprisonment for three counts of insulting the Supreme Leader and the president. He has been sentenced to 6 months of imprisonment and 74 lashes for allegedly disturbing public opinion through the production of music containing anti-regime lyrics and insulting content and for participating in interviews with the opposition media.
Thou shall not insult the Supreme Leader.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
"If you insult the Prophet you will get executed, because he's dead and he can't defend himself. But if you blaspheme God and question his existence, he can forgive you. That was why we didn't get executed," Khosravi explains.
Seems like pretty sophisticated reasoning to me! Religion is just the greatest.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Fuck the prophet...

Lashing as a sentence? 14.5 years for playing metal? This is fucking stupid. Well, religion is general is.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Getting a prison sentence for playing metal os fucking brutal, not gonna lie. Totally ridiculous, but brutal nonetheless, truly revolutionary and rebellious. Norway knows what's up though, and I love them for protecting the arts like this.

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
Horrible ofc, as an aside, don't remember where I've read it but aren't 74 lashes almost guaranteed death for many as well?

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
This is appalling in a way I don't have words to describe...

Religion is a cancer on society and it's frightening that it still has this kind of power. Good on the duo but fuck anyone who agrees with this horseshit.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Bullshit regime.
Bullshit judiciary system.
Bullshit reporting. (if you're given multiple prison sentences, you only serve the highest one, not the total amount)

Also not gonna lie, their music is cringy.

anamika

May 18, 2018
So is Metal offensive to the prophet or were there lyrics in there that was specifically insulting the prophet?

And how does the Sharia advocated by Muhammad from the common era even know what metal is to decide that it's insulting to the prophet? Maybe the prophet would actually like the sound of it, who knows.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
So is Metal offensive to the prophet or were there lyrics in there that was specifically insulting the prophet?

And how does the Sharia advocated by Muhammad from the common era even know what metal is to decide that it's insulting to the prophet? Maybe the prophet would actually like the sound of it, who knows.

I would guess that anything that is seen as potentially undermining the authority of the regime is effectively argued as insulting the prophet.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not understanding the crime here, what specifically did they do, practise their music or what it the lyrics?

anamika

May 18, 2018
I would guess that anything that is seen as potentially undermining the authority of the regime is effectively argued as insulting the prophet.

Hmm. Maybe metal is seen as undermining the regime because of the western influence of this type of music.

It seems they are getting charged with Blasphemy against God using the Sharia law which is why I am curious as to how Metal can be specifically blasphemous. Unless it's the lyrics they are objecting to...

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not understanding the crime here, what specifically did they do, practise their music or what it the lyrics?
Probably some idiots who tie metal to being anti religion or some variation of that excuse.

I haven't read the lyrics though so I am not really sure if that's the case but going by the article that's how I understood it.

Glad Norway did what they did.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It seems they are getting charged with Blasphemy against God using the Sharia law which is why I am curious as to how Metal can be specifically blasphemous. Unless it's the lyrics they are objecting to...

Well, it's quite common in Metal to talk shit about governments and religions so it's highly likely they did indeed have "blasphemous" lyrics. That should not sentence anyone to prison or death either way.

It's good that they managed to take refuge in Norway. Let's just hope that the Norwegians will refuse extradition if/when requested.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Probably some idiots who tie metal to being anti religion or some variation of that excuse.

I haven't read the lyrics though so I am not really sure if that's the case but going by the article that's how I understood it.

Glad Norway did what they did.
Mocking religion(or more generally: any authority) plays a part in secularizing societies. Especially coming from the inside(as opposed to western xenophobia) this is something that should be encouraged - not dismissed as idiotic.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mocking religion(or more generally: any authority) plays a part in secularizing societies. Especially coming from the inside(as opposed to western xenophobia) this is something that should be encouraged - not dismissed as idiotic.
I didn't say anything about that. I am talking about the people who hate metal for the genre because it is believed to be anti religious at it's nature.

What I meant was that there is a line of thinking where people think of metal as a genre that is anti religious or satanic. When like all genre's music is something that could have many different messages.

As I said, I haven't read the lyrics so I am basing my theory on what I read in the article and how metal in general is thought to be (satanic etc).

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, how about fuck you instead.

You could have made your point without being insulting, but you couldn't help yourself.

People shit on various religious figure heads and historical figures all the time, what exactly is insulting to ones self when someone views their own displeasure with organized religion?

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I remember when I first got into Melechesh I read that they moved out of the Middle East due to complications with the law and people for playing metal.

Here's hoping these guys can continue doing what they're doing now in Norway without the fear of imprisonment hovering over them.

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
People shit on various religious figure heads and historical figures all the time, what exactly is insulting to ones self when someone views their own displeasure with organized religion?

People can view their displeasure all day long, but they don't have to be insulting about it when doing so. Just as a person who has no religious beliefs needs to be insulted over theirs.

His slur towards the Prophet added nothing of worth to how the Iranian regime governs their society. It was a cheap shot.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
People can view their displeasure all day long, but they don't have to be insulting about it when doing so. Just as a person who has no religious beliefs needs to be insulted over theirs.

His slur towards the Prophet added nothing of worth to how the Iranian regime governs their society. It was a cheap shot.

Yeah, or we just accept that freedom of speech in the 21st century is a lot more important than the right of some ass backwards people to not be insulted over their imaginary friends ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017

Jesus Christ.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't the Prophet being insulted be less severe since he's dead? Yeah, he can't defend himself, but he's also dead so he has no feelings.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

...what

anamika

May 18, 2018

I think it's all the more important that we CAN be insulting towards these religious figures to show just how nonsensical the idea is of someone getting EXECUTED for 'insulting' the prophet. How fucked up is that? Your outrage should be directed more towards people getting killed for singing a song that is deemed blasphemous, than some guy on the internet 'insulting the prophet'.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018

That you care more about someone saying that instead of the band who were practically sentenced to death for doing the same definitely adds something to the conversation.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

wow

Oct 30, 2017

How do you think this Prophet feels about Sharia Law? Are Iranians doing a disservice or blaspheming the Prophet for sentencing people to death and medieval lashings for singing songs? I think the other guy has every right to call out this Prophet if this is the message he upholds.