• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
My brother and I will be visiting Ireland this August/September. I'll be 32, him 27. Plan is 7-10 days. We've never been there, I've traveled a bunch around the world, him not at all. This is actually my moms gift to us as she's paying for the flights as a last hurrah because she believes we're both getting married in the next couple year (a good assumption).

This is my first stop in research, would appreciate places to go, places to see. Mom is trying to tell us to do some tour thing where they take you around for the entire week and my brother hasn't traveled I think is wanting something like that so I'd like to put together something that he would be fine with.

Thanks for any input :)

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
If you visit Dublin, eat dinner at O'Niell's. It's a must do. Also, the Guinness brewery tour is on point.

If you visit Galway, make sure to plan a day trip to the Cliffs of Moher. You'll take the best photos of your trip.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I don't live in Ireland but I was there last year for a week. You're going to have an amazing time. Especially if you like to drink and eat hearty meals.

Places that I think you should visit: Giants Causeway, Cliffs of Moher, Glendalough, Belfast, and Kilkenny

Cliffs of Moher are incredible to witness in person.

Giants Causeway was beautiful but it went from sunny and cool to torrential downpour/hail in the matter of minutes.

Glendalough looked like something out of Lord of the Rings.

Kilkenny is just a beautiful city with really cool medieval looking buildings.

Temple bar is really popular with tourists but it gets pricey.

I'm sure you'll get better information from the people that actually live there but those are just some of the things you can look into if you want. Also the tour buses are quite fun albeit a bit brief at some destinations.

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't live in Ireland but I was there last year for a week. You're going to have an amazing time. Especially if you like to drink and eat hearty meals.

Places that I think you should visit: Giants Causeway, Cliffs of Moher, Glendalough, Belfast, and Kilkenny

Cliffs of Moher are incredible to witness in person.

Giants Causeway was beautiful but it went from sunny and cool to torrential downpour/hail in the matter of minutes.

Glendalough looked like something out of Lord of the Rings.

Kilkenny is just a beautiful city with really cool medieval looking buildings.

Temple bar is really popular with tourists but it gets pricey.

I'm sure you'll get better information from the people that actually live there but those are just some of the things you can look into if you want. Also the tour buses are quite fun albeit a bit brief at some destinations.
WELCOME TO NORN IRON.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Seconding Cliffs of Moher. I'm not Irish myself, but my sister and her family lives there, so I've been to Ireland once or twice. We went by car from coast to coast one weekend and had a great time. Cliffs of Moher stuck with me a bit extra because of its majestic beauty. Glendalough was also nice!

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Avoid Limerick unless you enjoy cracked pavement and a big rock as a tourist attraction.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
If you visit Dublin, eat dinner at O'Niell's. It's a must do. Also, the Guinness brewery tour is on point.

If you visit Galway, make sure to plan a day trip to the Cliffs of Moher. You'll take the best photos of your trip.
I'm visiting Dublin this year. So O'Niell's is good? Good food or atmophere? Will read reviews.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
When your in Dublin, all of the tourists go to Temple Bar, Irish people tend to avoid it (as it's expensive) but you are guaranteed a good time there.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend trying to go to Skellig Michael, amazing place.

If you are a Game of Thrones fan you can visit quite a few filming locations in Northern Ireland like Winterfell and the King's Road.

Cliffs of Moher is always a popular choice. The Cliffs of Kerry and Slieve League are other amazing yet lesser known scenic locations.

Giants Causeway might be the most famous natural attraction for the Qbert style rocks.

Newgrange is an interesting passage tomb to visit if you are in to ancient history.

I might be biased because my wife's family is from there but I've always loved visiting Dingle and the Dingle Peninsula, they opened a distillery there relatively recently if you are in to whisky.

Dublin and Belfast are the 2 big cities with lots to do which have already been mentioned. Easy enough to spend a couple days in each.

Eat a sausage roll.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm visiting Dublin this year. So O'Niell's is good? Good food or atmophere? Will read reviews.

Both. We found out about it from a taxi driver. It's definitely a local place (rather than a tourist place). Food is tasty, and the atmosphere is great.

When your in Dublin, all of the tourists go to Temple Bar, Irish people tend to avoid it (as it's expensive) but you are guaranteed a good time there.

Temple Bar is a tourist trap. It's like hanging out at Fisherman's Wharf in SF.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Go west. Kerry, Sligo, Galway, West Cork, all these places are beautiful. Go to L.Mulligan's in Stoneybatter in Dublin for amazing food.

Don't go to Temple Bar.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I lived in Dublin for a year. Definitely see the Cliffs of Moher, Aug/Sept should be a good time to go because it's pretty brutal in the spring with the rain and wind. If you can, there's quite a few castles you can stay at on AirBnB which is pretty cool, think we stayed at Cregg Castle near Galway. Aug / Sept is also when they do the matchmaking festival in Lisdoonvarna which is supposedly great craic as 60000+ descend from the hills to this tiny little town to try and meet their mate.

Near / in Dublin I'd suggest St. Michan's crypt to see some dead bodies that have been preserved for like 800 years, and Newgrange which is like the Irish Stonehenge but like 3000 years older.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland's small enough so you can travel around in a few hours by coach or car. There are plenty of tourist attractions to see but getting everywhere in 7-10 days might be tight enough. There's plenty to see and do. I'd say pick up a guide book like lonely planet a pick out a couple of areas things a plan from there. It's pretty tourist friendly and generally safe enough.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
In Dublin if you have interest in history go to Glassnevin cemetry and get the tour. Also go to Kilmainham jail.

The Aran islands is a good trip you can get the ferry from Doolin which you could do on the same day as the cliffs. Aliwee Caves is close too.

North of Galway Cong is very nice. You can have a look around Ashford castle and get a cruise around the corrib.

In Galway City go to Taaffes pub.

Killarney is also very nice and has a ton of hotels to stay in.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been to Ireland last year.
Dublin is a great city, has the sophistication of London with a more friendly and down-to-earth vibe.
If you like historical stuff, Brú na Bóinne is a must and it's a small drive from Dublin.
Galway is incredible and should be lots of fun for you too.
Rent a car and drive. Seven days is enough, you should probably be able to go to Northern Ireland, at least to the most important places (Belfast, Giant's Causeway)
Food is not great and beware that most places close really early (at least compared to what I'm used to).

I had a really good time at Temple Bar, but what do I know :P

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
You are assuming that tourists only want to go to places that are culturally significant.

Sometimes they want to have a few beers and have fun.

Yeah fair enough, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I just feel like if people want the combination of pints and trad, somewhere like the Cobblestone pub would do just as well, and the pints won't cost 7 euro.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
You are assuming that tourists only want to go to places that are culturally significant.

Sometimes they want to have a few beers and have fun.
It's hard to argue Temple Bar isn't culturally significant anyway. There are a number of cultural institutes there (film/art/photo/dance). In the evening, well...

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Glendalough is a must
Ring of Kerry and dingle are great as well
Cliffs of Moher and a night at Dulin

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah fair enough, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I just feel like if people want the combination of pints and trad, somewhere like the Cobblestone pub would do just as well, and the pints won't cost 7 euro.

True. I think people shouldnt limit themselves to Temple Bar. Some great places on North side too.

It's hard to argue Temple Bar isn't culturally significant anyway. There are a number of cultural institutes there (film/art/photo/dance). In the evening, well...

Oh yes :)

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I spent two months in Clare outside of Kilfenora.
Heres my recommendations based on my experience:
-Like, others I absolutely recommend visiting the Cliffs of Moher, especially if you can go before tourist season. Thousands of tourists visit it every day from April to October, but I managed to walk along side it without a single person in sight for miles. It was gorgeous and a religious experience.
-Spend a day biking around one of the countrysides- Ireland is so pretty.
-drink Guinness. Its amazingly different (and better) from the Guinness here in America.
-Drop by a local pub. Tons of them have local trad and worth experiencing.
-Don't be afraid to talk to the locals, everyone is pretty friendly there.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland

Fair point, but I feel the cultural points of interest there like Filmbase, Temple Bar Galleries, etc, aren't as strong as the other free museums we have, or perhaps maybe just more niche. But of course, different folks.....

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take a black cab tour of Belfast. Those are really good and you'll find an interesting talk about the murals or two. Actually let's ask Firima - they flew in for my wedding last year and spent a week. I think they had fun.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another advice: Avoid the Guiness tourist tour at all costs! I've been fortunate enough to travel to a lot of countries and this was by far the biggest tourist trap I've ever encountered. The tour itself is awful and you pay in order to be advertised to. The bar has a nice view but it's so packed and so loud that it ends up being an awful experience.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
If you're ever in the Ennis region of Clare, might I recommend a place called The Market Bar and Restaurant? Whenever it's a part of their specials, they do a great turkey. But if you're in the mood for pizza instead...

25074989_10214039757925579_5909303131334858469_o.jpg

24955696_10214039759325614_7726289249568580055_o.jpg

24959100_10214039761765675_2111591768480170249_o.jpg

25189076_10214039762125684_8450731244257114240_o.jpg

25182126_10214039762725699_1677162009918155988_o.jpg

OP
OP
demosthenes

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland's small enough so you can travel around in a few hours by coach or car. There are plenty of tourist attractions to see but getting everywhere in 7-10 days might be tight enough. There's plenty to see and do. I'd say pick up a guide book like lonely planet a pick out a couple of areas things a plan from there. It's pretty tourist friendly and generally safe enough.

This is sort of the plan.

Yeeeeeeeeeees, this thread is giving me so much.

This is what I got from my cousin and aunt:
Tig Choili (PUB)
Mainguard Street, The Latin Quarter, Galway, Ireland
Monroe's (PUB) (Live club upstairs) (Irish Dancing on Tuesday nights)
14 Dominick Street Upper, Galway, Ireland
Crane Bar (PUB) (Great Music)
2 Sea Rd, Galway, Ireland
Róisín Dubh (Silent Discos are a blast, great live bands at night)
9 Dominick Street Upper, Galway, Ireland
Cliffs of Moher
***Aran Islands
-Take the ferry across, rent a bike and ride bikes all around the island!!!
*Drive the Ring of Kerry*
*Killarney is great*

*Maley names originates from Westport, Mayo (cute town, worth the visit)*

We're Maley's thus, the comment.

Another advice: Avoid the Guiness tourist tour at all costs! I've been fortunate enough to travel to a lot of countries and this was by far the biggest tourist trap I've ever encountered. The tour itself is awful and you pay in order to be advertised to. The bar has a nice view but it's so packed and so loud that it ends up being an awful experience.

Interesting. I've done the anheuser busch one in St. Louis and thought it was awesome.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Go to the GPO and kiss the statue of Cuchulainn's butt.

Jokes aside, don't do a big tour. Those are always the worst ways to see a place. Pick some things you're interested in, there's plenty of good recommendations in the thread, a visit them, but also give yourself some free time to walk around in cities. Especially Dublin and Galway.

FtheQueen

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd recommend giving Cork a visit, mostly out of bias cause i've lived here my whole life but it really is a great place to visit, every summer in the town I live we get literally thousands of Americans coming to visit.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Completely disagree on this. My SO doesn't drink at all, and even she thought it was interesting. Yes, it's a history of the company and brewing, but it's pretty informative if you're not a hobbyist brewer, there are some great photo ops on the tour, and the pouring class (free as part of the ticket cost) is fun even for non drinkers.

Oh, and for the Cliffs of Moher, don't park at the visitor's center. Go to the southern most point of the trail instead. There is a family farm there with a parking lot that is a lot cheaper and a lot less crowded.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
If ya got the time, consider checking out Donegal. It's large, vast, and not as modern in a few ways as other touristy bits of the country. But it's amazing if ya like to take a more rural, scenic, and historical approach to your holiday!

Take a black cab tour of Belfast. Those are really good and you'll find an interesting talk about the murals or two. Actually let's ask Firima - they flew in for my wedding last year and spent a week. I think they had fun.

I live here, so let me do it for free, if ya don't mind me also talking about how stupid it is that there are still no plans to take dowm that monstrosity of a wall in fucking 2018. Oh, and I can talk about the murals, too~

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If ya got the time, consider checking out Donegal. It's large, vast, and not as modern in a few ways as other touristy bits of the country. But it's amazing if ya like to take a more rural, scenic, and historical approach to your holiday!

I live here, so let me do it for free, if ya don't mind me also talking about how stupid it is that there are still no plans to take dowm that monstrosity of a wall in fucking 2018. Oh, and I can talk about the murals, too~
That's a better solution. I'd offer myself but I'm flying out of city airport this weekend back to England and god knows when I'll be home. You look after them tho ;)

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
if you go to the giants causeway, don't be tricked into going though the visiters centre as that costs money whilst you can get down to the giants causeway for free by just walking down the hill.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto

I second this. I did not like the Guinness tour at all.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Visited last year. Galway had the best night life out of the cities I visited.

Edit: I second not doing the Guinness tour unless for some reason you just NEED to visit Guinness to check off a beer bucket list. It's basically a big gift shop, and you can get Guinness pretty much everywhere that has alcohol.

Buy plenty of Irish coffees. They're so fucking good.

Oct 27, 2017
This is sort of the plan.

Yeeeeeeeeeees, this thread is giving me so much.

Somethings I'd suggest.

The Porter House on the edge of Temple Bar has the best Stout. A pint of Plain is my favourite pint.

Check out what festivals are on when you decide on a date - There's always some festival on somewhere. There might be some of the mad ones on: ploughing championship, matchmaking festival, or the Rose of Tralee - if you want to Ireland at its maddest. https://www.discoverireland.ie/whats-on/

Get yourselves to a GAA game, If there is one in Croke Park when your about, happy days: https://crokepark.ie/match-day/2018-season-fixtures

There lots of local fixtures if your outside of dublin:
http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/15/11/47/MasterFixturesGrid(2)_English.pdf