• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Netflix is getting a lot of "Remember this thing from your childhood?!" documentaries lately. Complete with unnotable people talking about the subject.

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

Highly recommend if you have even half of a interest in action movies.

I don't know about this. The trailer make it seem like it's a partial take of Hong Kong cinema seen completely from an American perspective. I mean , I don't see many actual notable figures from Hong Kong cinema among the talking heads.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see Jessica Henwick early on. She showed genuine talent for movie action in Iron Fist season 2; waaaay better than the guy who actually played Iron Fist :P

Definitely going to watch this, particularly with Michael Jai White and Cynthia Rothrock in it.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about this. The trailer make it seem like it's a partial take of Hong Kong cinema seen completely from an American perspective. I mean , I don't see many actual notable figures from Hong Kong cinema among the talking heads.
A problem of many documentaries. It's weird on Netflix, though, because they are so international.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Just watched it and it wasn't was i was looking for. Its more about how "chopsocky" movies influenced so much things from african amateur movies to parkour... I was prepared for spicing up my knowledge about all the martial art movies from the 70s and hear some interesting trivia, but that was only a third of the documentary and the stories you got where only through the eyes of some film buffs of america or australia or b movie martial arts choreographer. Also the editing was not my cup of tea, really fast with high energy music, so nobody gets bored. Almost felt like made for people who are not interested in this subject, but have to watch this because there is nothing else on netflix/tv. Can't there be more documentaries like "de palma"?

If you want to broaden your hong kong martial movie knowledge, skip this and go read upon the internet about it.

Five Venoms

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was fairly good, albeit pretty 'standard reading' if you're familiar with the subject. It was neat to see Grady Hendrix and some of the other NYAFF adjacent people as well as some of the real original personalities from the '70s and such (always fun to see Ric Meyers pop up). It would have been nice to get a little more of the HK/Chinese personalities, but I doubt any sane person would finance a deep dive on HK cinema, although I'll bet it could maybe work if it specialized in a certain era (Shaw Bros. Vs. Golden Harvest, the '80s boom, Film Workshop, etc. etc.). Still, I would recommend it!

fake edit: Oh, I guess Grady Hendrix cowrote it, so that makes sense.