• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Flavor, smoke point, cost, availability, purported health implications, etc. What fats you use is a very broad conversation.

For my cooking, which is vegetarian and heavily weighted towards breakfast, baking, and pasta, 99% of my use case are covered by butter and olive oil. The other 1% is sesame oil used as a finish in various Japanese recipes I make.

I see, thanks for the insight!

If you do scrambled, make sure to use a really good non-stick pan or you'll end up with a layer of egg on the pan. You could also try omelets too. I whisk a couple of large eggs in a bowl before pouring it into the hot pan. Let it cook for a bit. I usually pick up and swirl the egg across the top for the top to cook a little more evenly. Once most the egg cooks, flip it over and cook the top side for a moment or two. Add your cheese and fillings and the fold in half. I usually shut the heat off at this point and let the pan finish cooking the egg and melting the cheese. If you have a lot of ingredients, like mushrooms, onions, peppers, ham, bacon, or whatever else, it's best to cook it in a separate pan and add it to the egg while warm. You'll still want to add the cheese last to melt into everything.

I try to stay away from vegetable, peanut, and canola oils. Too much controversy over how healthy they are and I don't really miss them while cooking. I do keep a bottle on hand for various recipes and stuff, but it takes a long time to use it. The key is to use any of them sparingly. You want flavor of the food to stand out, not the flavor of the oil or your food to feel/taste greasy. My bf is mexican, and I find his grandmother's cooking to be overly saturated in oil and ruins the natural goodness and taste of the food.

Thanks for the instructions! We only have a cast iron on hand due to retiring our non-stick recently. Should I invest in getting one for general purpose cooking or is just having the cast iron fine? I do like its versatility but the upkeep & the weight haha...

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I see, thanks for the insight!

Thanks for the instructions! We only have a cast iron on hand due to retiring our non-stick recently. Should I invest in getting one for general purpose cooking or is just having the cast iron fine? I do like its versatility but the upkeep & the weight haha...

Cast iron is perfect for everything except acidic sauces (e.g. tomato sauces) that can strip away the seasoning or leach iron flavor into your sauce; for those I typically use either a nonstick saucepot or enameled cast iron stock pot. I can't remember the last time I've used my nonstick skillet.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Cast iron is perfect for everything except acidic sauces (e.g. tomato sauces) that can strip away the seasoning or leach iron flavor into your sauce; for those I typically use either a nonstick saucepot or enameled cast iron stock pot. I can't remember the last time I've used my nonstick skillet.

Alrighty, got it! Thanks!

Nov 23, 2017
I use my non stick for risotto and ramsey style eggs. Now sometimes i'll grab it out for easy clean up. Even with cast iron I have a rotation of a few pans. One size does not fit all.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Steel is perfect for rice, though. No Teflon to scratch during stirring is always a huge plus. Plus, if you are making paella you'll get a nice toasty bottom.

Cast iron works, too, but since it retains heat like a mf you may end up overcooking the grain.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Steel is perfect for rice, though. No Teflon to scratch during stirring is always a huge plus. Plus, if you are making paella you'll get a nice toasty bottom.

Cast iron works, too, but since it retains heat like a mf you may end up overcooking the grain.

who's stirring rice? Also, who is using a metal utensil to do so?

edit: I see I guess you're talking about dishes with rice in them.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
who's stirring rice? Also, who is using a metal utensil to do so?

edit: I see I guess you're talking about dishes with rice in them.

I'm with you, though, I am super aggro about my rice process and my wife deliberately doesn't follow it just because it irritates her so much. Also my kids tease her because my rice is so much better.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
My last day at the restaurant I've been at the past 4 years was today. It's been a wild ride, but I'm moving on to bigger and better things! I'm taking a full week off to decompress, then it's off to the races! I'm so excited.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
I want to deep fry (or at least pan fry) food. I've never done it at home.

What are the pros and cons of getting a little deep fryer appliance vs doing it in a wok or Dutch oven?

Nov 23, 2017
Temperature control is the biggest thing, and obviously you can continue to use the oil for several uses with a deep fryer. But you're limited its size too.

A cast iron is the long time go to pan for deep frying. You can store the oil in the pan if you don't use it for anything else. And at least the pan itself is more versatile in the kitchen. Probably cheaper up front.

Oct 27, 2017
I think all three have their place for frying different items. My deep fryer gets used the most,quickest heat up and most accurate temp without having to use a thermometer. Cleanup is easy and u can leave the oil inside it aka storage while not using it. Only reason I use the Dutch oven for frying is the size,can fry larger pieces of fish,chicken ect.

I'd like an awesome wok to cook with but have no idea which one to get,anyone got suggestions for a solid wok that will last years and years? Will be used mostly for Asian food cooking,maybe a little frying as well.

A Robot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got some nice steaks:

2QaIcag.jpg

Messed up by not taking pictures after cooking them.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I got the wok they recommended at Serious Eats and I've been very happy with it. However, I had also never cooked with a wok before I got it, so I have no point of reference for what it might or might not be good at.

Interesting, the initial seasoning with that wok doesn't seem to be as hardcore as what Just One Cookbook recommends.

I've actually been thinking of getting a wok since the FiL is in town, but that whole process + not being sure we'd make much use of it has made it hard to pull the trigger.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Induction range means no wok for me. I mean, there are induction "woks", but they need to be hefty AF in order to transfer heat to the sides, so sauteeing is a total PITA. The only downside of owning an induction cooktop, to be honest. Oh well.

On happier news, I've been gifted one of those €80 cheapass sous vide circulators. Will experiment with it ASAP.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Induction range means no wok for me. I mean, there are induction "woks", but they need to be hefty AF in order to transfer heat to the sides, so sauteeing is a total PITA. The only downside of owning an induction cooktop, to be honest. Oh well.
Are portable butane stoves a thing where you are?

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Interesting, the initial seasoning with that wok doesn't seem to be as hardcore as what Just One Cookbook recommends.

I've actually been thinking of getting a wok since the FiL is in town, but that whole process + not being sure we'd make much use of it has made it hard to pull the trigger.
Thank you for sharing that link. The outcome of that process, at least in the pictures on that site, look better than how mine has shaped up after about a year. I might give it a go. If you are on the fence about getting a wok, they are cheap enough that I would recommend buying one and seeing what you think. Mine has quickly become my favorite cooking implement in my kitchen. It's just fun to use it (YMMV). And if you go to the previous page, you'll find me extolling the virtues of using it for frying things.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
One point of a wok is to have different zones of cooking. Ideally, a super hot spot right in the center and then cooler zones elsewhere.

But another point is to be able to flip the food right above the flame for maximal "wok hei", which I guess would be impossible with induction.

See https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05...ur-home-burner-into-a-wok-range-solution.html though as far as I know the product has never been released for sale. Edit: or maybe it has.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up buying a wok after all yesterday because one of the Asian grocery stores is going out of business--40% off!

Now I just need steamer baskets...

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Wife got me an Anova sous-vide for my birthday today.

ohhh my godddd so good

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize this thread existed. Here's some things I made recently:

Tried out bonappetit's Crispy Honey Garlic chicken thigh recipe. This was one I will definitely make again. Loved it. Perfect over some white rice with sauteed whole green beans.

NTZ9Rni.jpg

And my take on a pot roast. Let this baby cook for a little over 4hrs in a dutch oven. Some potatoes, carrots, and parsnips. Love using a dutch oven whenever possible. Browning the roast in it first is key. Lock that flavor in.

Jj7n0oh.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Have some halibut to make this weekend, but can't decide between baking / pan-searing... Which method would anyone recommend? BBQ's a no-go, I need to clean it :\

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
i'd pan sear. i did some sous vide cod awhile back and it was amazing so if that's an option, def do that.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
gosh it's hard to describe, it's not really the same. it's softer, is the best way i can put it. with the right timing and temp you get that perfect flaking (if it's that kind of fish) without it turning to mush.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping the OP would have some info, but does anyone know of a good Youtube channel that teaches you the basics of cooking?

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
i'd pan sear. i did some sous vide cod awhile back and it was amazing so if that's an option, def do that.

Yeah, I think I might do it in the pan - was my first inclination. I want to do a risotto along side it (because it's fun) and the searing makes it pretty quick. Was thinking some sort of wine and / or mushroom sauce.

It really ought to be renamed. "IronGAF" was a lot closer to "Iron Chef" (and no one watches Iron Chef anymore.) Cooking-ERA or something would be much easier for people to find.

Once I got linked, I remembered that it was "Iron", but I did have trouble finding the thread :P

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought myself an outdoor pizza oven yesterday.

Having the lads and ladies over tomorrow to try it out. Probably should have done a test run but oh well.

It's a pizza oven/bbq/smoker combo thing. Might be shit might be alright

MistaPropella

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As said before, just found this lovely thread. Now I'm through the first 5 pages and man, you people create such wonderful and awesome dishes. Keep bringing it. nom nom nom.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I ended up buying a wok after all yesterday because one of the Asian grocery stores is going out of business--40% off!

Now I just need steamer baskets...
I bought a steamer basket a few months ago to make homemade baos. I was shocked by the prices, and not in a good way.

A "brand name" a big department store with a reputation for being pricey had them for about €14. I went to the sketchy, hole in the wall Chinese place where I buy ramen and they were about as much (only covered in dust). What gives?

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Probably markup plus taxes. If you want to save some money, they go for $4 USD or less on AliExpress or eBay.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Suggestions for a good tray to make square shaped rolls? I like to make ciabatta, but being a wet dough (and me being a novice) the size and shape are no where near the consistency I want.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Like that, but that looks more like a commercial vendor. I was hoping for something more geared to home use, but Amazon only shows stuff for long rolls or the already made bread.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a steamer basket a few months ago to make homemade baos. I was shocked by the prices, and not in a good way.

A "brand name" a big department store with a reputation for being pricey had them for about €14. I went to the sketchy, hole in the wall Chinese place where I buy ramen and they were about as much (only covered in dust). What gives?
I ended up just buying a big metal one. It can always double as a second pot now.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Suggestions for a good tray to make square shaped rolls? I like to make ciabatta, but being a wet dough (and me being a novice) the size and shape are no where near the consistency I want.

Just work on getting better at building strength into your dough with multiple turns and folds, and improve the shaping technique. Nice square ciabatta is very much possible to do entirely by hand!