• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Harvested our garlic scapes a week or so ago, finally time to make something. Pizza made with garlic scape pesto with mushrooms and ricotta. First version my wife added some spicy olives.

garlic-scapes-mushroom-ricotta-1.jpg

Second version was more pure, I actually prefer this one.

garlic-scapes-mushroom-ricotta-2.jpg

Pretty damn good. Only critique is maybe to find a way to make the mushroom sing a little more, but I was pretty happy as it was.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harvested our garlic scapes a week or so ago, finally time to make something. Pizza made with garlic scape pesto with mushrooms and ricotta. First version my wife added some spicy olives.

Pretty damn good. Only critique is maybe to find a way to make the mushroom sing a little more, but I was pretty happy as it was.

Garlic scape pesto is one of my favorite things on earth. We do the same thing during scape season, though with chicken sausage rather than mushroom.

Next best thing to ramps.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017

Looks good, always thought mushrooms have to be pan cooked first before putting them as toppings.

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
What's your favorite dish what could be warmed up next day or even day after? When I'm lazy I usually make big bowl chili con carne, curry or some beef stew which lasts for 3 days.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
What's your favorite dish what could be warmed up next day or even day after? When I'm lazy I usually make big bowl chili con carne, curry or some beef stew which lasts for 3 days.

My gf makes amazing veggie soup when we start getting to the end of our vegetables - usually a big pot of it. We can eat it for days and it's perfectly good hot or cold.

Grilled some burgers a few days ago. 80/20 beef, grilled bun, tomato, pickle, onions, Grey Poupon deli mustard and ketchup. Paired with salad and grilled red peppers. Came out amazing

image2hjf6h.png

image8ydd79.png

image6l6fzd.png

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
oh yay! I found the Iron Cooking thread!!! any1 know how to make a good fried chicken??

6tns7Ktl.jpg

made this today and basically my question is,

how do I make like a golden chicken? Mine is dark brown instead :(

wonder if it has to do with all the spices I put into the flour? or is it the amount of time I keep it fried?

(dark meat is like 20 minutes in the oil at ~300F. Apparently you can cook it quicker if you up to 375F, think I wanna try that soon)

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh yay! I found the Iron Cooking thread!!! any1 know how to make a good fried chicken??

6tns7Ktl.jpg

wonder if it has to do with all the spices I put into the flour? or is it the amount of time I keep it fried?

(dark meat is like 20 minutes in the oil at ~300F. Apparently you can cook it quicker if you up to 375F, think I wanna try that soon)
300 as a baseline seems really low and 20 minutes seems long. i'm no expert but i think doing it that low means you have to go a bit longer, which is what is giving you the brown crust - don't think it's the spices. i aim for 375-385 when you're dropping it and reduce it a bit to -350 over five-six minutes, then start flipping and pay attention. 15 minutes or so total does the trick. it's a very play it by ear dish to get right though so don't worry if it takes a while to hit what you're aiming for

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

6tns7Ktl.jpg

Use a candy thermometer to keep an eye on your oil temperature. Start with your oil around 325, burner on medium-high. The temperature should drop around 50-75 degrees when you add the chicken, but it will heat up again while cooking. You want it back above 300 within the first ten minutes or so of cooking.

Legs should take ~8 minutes or so per side, other parts ~6 minutes. It will continue to darken a little bit as it drains, so don't wait too long to take it out.

300 as a baseline seems really low and 20 minutes seems long. i'm no expert but i think doing it that low means you have to go a bit longer, which is what is giving you the brown crust - don't think it's the spices. i aim for 375-385 when you're dropping it and reduce it a bit to -350 over five-six minutes, then start flipping and pay attention. 15 minutes or so total does the trick. it's a very play it by ear dish to get right though so don't worry if it takes a while to hit what you're aiming for

Good advice! Chicken is a bit of an art. As long as you manage your oil temperature properly, the coating and the actual chicken should be 'done' at the same time, so you can basically just take out the chicken when it looks good. It's only if your oil is way too hot or way too cool that things get out of whack.

Also, make sure you're using as big and heavy a vessel as possible to heat your oil. Cast iron is ideal.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I'd always wanted to try canele's but either I didn't see them in bakeries or felt they were too expensive. They're small little things! So I made my own. They turned out very custardy and creamy on the inside, super crispy on the outside. I followed the chefsteps recipe but had to adjust the portion size per mould and also the cooking time.

For my moulds, I poured in 50 g of batter. My cooking time was actually 64 minutes at 375 F in a convection oven. I wanted to see how far I could take the browning. I'd say I took it a little too far, as you get a slight char after taste. It actually balances out the sweetness in a cool way, but next time I'll go for 55-58 minutes. I won't have as even a burnish, but I'll live with that.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/caneles--2

laminated

Oct 28, 2017

6tns7Ktl.jpg

Others have already mentioned oil temp as a reason the breading is darker than you might want. Also, if your breading has a lot of paprika, it will also darken the breading because it has a tendency to brown very quickly.

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
Others have already mentioned oil temp as a reason the breading is darker than you might want. Also, if your breading has a lot of paprika, it will also darken the breading because it has a tendency to brown very quickly.
yah has a bit of paprika, but much more cayenne.

but from the replies what I gather is, higher temp + less time = more golden + less darkened?

the 2 pieces in the front, the breasts, still werent cooked after 15 minutes. So insteadof staying there watching, I went to pick up my laundry lol. By the time I got back it was over 5 minutes, the pieces were more than cooked (like 180F inside) and much darker lol.

still delicious tho =P

anyways, thank you everyone!!!

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I'd always wanted to try canele's but either I didn't see them in bakeries or felt they were too expensive. They're small little things! So I made my own. They turned out very custardy and creamy on the inside, super crispy on the outside. I followed the chefsteps recipe but had to adjust the portion size per mould and also the cooking time.

For my moulds, I poured in 50 g of batter. My cooking time was actually 64 minutes at 375 F in a convection oven. I wanted to see how far I could take the browning. I'd say I took it a little too far, as you get a slight char after taste. It actually balances out the sweetness in a cool way, but next time I'll go for 55-58 minutes. I won't have as even a burnish, but I'll live with that.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/caneles--2

Canele are one of my favorite things, good job. Deceptive little things, too: there are a million things that can go wrong right from the start, so troubleshooting a recipe can be a real pain.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yah has a bit of paprika, but much more cayenne.

but from the replies what I gather is, higher temp + less time = more golden + less darkened?

the 2 pieces in the front, the breasts, still werent cooked after 15 minutes. So insteadof staying there watching, I went to pick up my laundry lol. By the time I got back it was over 5 minutes, the pieces were more than cooked (like 180F inside) and much darker lol.

still delicious tho =P

anyways, thank you everyone!!!

Also, just for safety, never leave hot oil unattended. Oil fires are no joke.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
If anyone in the US is after a KitchenAid mixer, Amazon has a GREAT deal going today on the 6 qt pro version. $219 instead of the normal $391. Link

miscellaneous houseplant

self-requsted ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have recommendations for a book on canning? Especially one that includes a plethora of recipes. I have taken up canning excess veggies from my CSA and I would love to have a book on the process so I don't have to spend time searching for recipes/methods online all the time.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Canele are one of my favorite things, good job. Deceptive little things, too: there are a million things that can go wrong right from the start, so troubleshooting a recipe can be a real pain.

Thanks. I taste tested a few and got a sugar rush so I'll probably cut back on the sugar, maybe play with different fillings.

le-seb

Oct 31, 2017
My cooking time was actually 64 minutes at 375 F in a convection oven. I wanted to see how far I could take the browning. I'd say I took it a little too far, as you get a slight char after taste. It actually balances out the sweetness in a cool way, but next time I'll go for 55-58 minutes. I won't have as even a burnish, but I'll live with that.
The recipe I'm using for cannelés calls for a 12 minutes at 240°C + 60 minutes at 180°C baking time, and I never had a problem with that.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a recipe they like for mushroom ravioli? Going to get the pasta press out tonight.

I wish I was handy with doughs/pastas. I just know you'll need to cook out most of the mushroom's moisture down into a duxelle before using it as a stuffing.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've only made pasta a few times, so I definitely have a lot to learn. I'd like to start making it more often so I can get better. And because I looooove pasta.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Well, it wasn't very pretty, but it was very good.

Making the filling:
hUiL9DM.jpg

Pasta dough ingredients:
78C1oxq.jpg

Ready for assembly:
WMPBBAV.jpg

Assembled and ready for a hot bath:
EZ55h9C.jpg

Ready to eat (I fried some fresh sage leaves in browned butter for a sauce):
uG7cMED.jpg

Making the filling:
hUiL9DM.jpg

Pasta dough ingredients:
78C1oxq.jpg

Ready for assembly:
WMPBBAV.jpg

EZ55h9C.jpg

uG7cMED.jpg

Dunno about that. Looks pretty enticing to me. What's the filling? And I can only see glimpses of it, but it looks like you have a nice kitchen set-up.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017

Making the filling:
hUiL9DM.jpg

Pasta dough ingredients:
78C1oxq.jpg

Ready for assembly:
WMPBBAV.jpg

EZ55h9C.jpg

uG7cMED.jpg

Those look so tasty. Pasta tossed crispy sage and butter is one of my favorite things. Props on making the fresh pasta! I could probably eat a dozen of those.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Bored and unsure how to cook some Jidori drumsticks I bought from Mitsuwa, I decided to mess around with frying them. I had used a marinade of fish sauce, sugar, soy, and chopped green onions. For the breading process, I dipped the drums in egg and then in a flour mixture which I seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, and some salt. The ap flour was cut with some corn starch. I fried at a low temp of 295-305 in a cast iron because I noticed that when I fried anything that had sugar, it'd brown quickly. I also dropped the scallion stalks in the oil figuring the fried onion flavor would impart to the chicken.

Overall it was good, maybe a little salty. The breading was not as airy as I'd like. Adding the chopped green onions is something my mom does when she made fried chicken and I love it. It adheres to the chicken and crisps up, becoming sweet when you eat it.

Here are some photos.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Bored so I made a tonkatsu sandwich. The breading is ground up shokupan. I didn't have tonkatsu sauce so i subbed in okonomiyaki sauce and it was still alright. I notice my cooking is getting lazier and lazier. I don't bother with sides and I certainly don't care about plating as you can see. hehe

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i actually made something i was pretty happy with yesterday

broiled pork belly + blanched brocolini and rice, turned out great. Used a insta-pot equivalent

1. saute pork belly each side 1-2 min or until i couldn't take the smell of fat anymore
  2. saute w/diced garlic, ginger slices, sliced green spring onions
  3. cover in broth, i used beef stock
  4. add half cup sake, half cup mirin, quarter cup light soy sauce
  5. pressure cook 35 min
it was great.

i'll get better pics next time though

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Public holiday today for me, so I decided to make chili con carne.

2.5 kg of beef mince, about 1kg of a mix of red kidney and black beans. I usually add chunky steak, but didn't have any on hand today.

43134926815_27c201e6b7_c.jpg

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I made one of my favorite comfort foods, wonton soup. It turned out well, but I overprocessed the filling. I'll process it less next time. The filling is pork and shrimp. The broth is a quick one, made from two pork shoulder "steaks" and whatever I found in my fridge (scallions, ginger, onion, shitaki mushrooms, yellow chives, fish sauce, a little sugar).

V0O5BZD.jpg

VZ3xABi.jpg

Bw0xpZU.jpg

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any decent recipes for meatballs as a cold lunch?

I've 5 spare meatballs so figured I'd bring them in for lunch

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I've been crazy about radishes ever since I got a mandoline; here's an heirloom tomato salad I made for lunch:

4ne0i.jpg

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The Poke-fashion has hit Cologne, the wife and I tried out one of the three (!) themed restaurants that have popped up over the last couple months:

Ohne Titel by Chris Jaeger, auf Flickr

cold toppings on lukewarm rice, hooray.

Made a Carbonara to compensate for it:

Carbonara by Chris Jaeger, auf Flickr
How does your Carbonara sauce not pool to the bottom? Every time I make it, it always pools in the bottom of the bowl/plate. Am I not using enough cheese?

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Poke is fantastic, but I feel like it's also a bit of a niche thing. I'm afraid many of those poke-centric restaurants will die soon. It almost feels like one of those seasonal fads that everybody forgets about in a couple of years. It doesn't help that it's usually kind of pricey.

And that carbonara looks legit.

How does your Carbonara sauce not pool to the bottom? Every time I make it, it always pools in the bottom of the bowl/plate. Am I not using enough cheese?
Or too many eggs/pasta not being hot enough. Use some salt water from boiling the pasta to emulsify it.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Poke is fantastic, but I feel like it's also a bit of a niche thing. I'm afraid many of those poke-centric restaurants will die soon. It almost feels like one of those seasonal fads that everybody forgets about in a couple of years. It doesn't help that it's usually kind of pricey.

And that carbonara looks legit.

Or too many eggs/pasta not being hot enough. Use some salt water from boiling the pasta to emulsify it.

Interesting... I've seen this video a couple of times. I definitely used too much eggs (6 at a time, usually) but the last time I made Carbonara, I scooped up some water from the pot and added it to the sauce and it seemed like it made it watery.

I'll cut back on the eggs and add some pasta water, maybe that will fix it. Thanks! :D