• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
my usual measure is 250gr Pasta, 2 yolks, one whole egg, might work even better with two yolks and two whole eggs. key is adding the pasta as hot from the cooking water as possible to the egg/cheese mix.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Gave up on making croissants because I had a hard time resisting the urge to eat all that I baked. But I still have a croissant ideal that I've yet to reach, so back at it again. For those familiar with making croissants, I did two double (book) turns. Straight dough, no preferments only because I wanted to get back into the rhythm of making these calorie bombs. For my next batch, I'll do an overnight retard in the refrigerator for more complex flavor by way fermentation.

For my next batch, I will also use more salt and maybe more sugar.

I experimented with two types of egg washes:

1) one egg, two tbs milk
2) one egg, two tbs water

The one with milk were slightly shinier, but its sort of hard to tell.

P4g9L5G.jpg

yk5bnBP.jpg

RYkuatB.jpg

DOaYM39.jpg

ioyHt89.jpg

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Jesus, dude, your honeycomb interior is outstanding. Major respect to doing the real deal entirely by hand! I came to hate making them after my last job but they're still one of my favorite things to eat.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus, dude, your honeycomb interior is outstanding. Major respect to doing the real deal entirely by hand! I came to hate making them after my last job but they're still one of my favorite things to eat.

Thanks! It absolutely sucks doing it by hand, and if I had a sheeter I'd be using that. haha. But my shoulders are stronger because of it, and I am generous with the time I give the gluten to relax in-between turns. It still pisses me off that I can never roll out a perfect rectangle :/

I also use ice blankets to quickly cool down the dough if i'm taking too long to roll it out and I'm afraid the butter is going to melt into the dough.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Gave up on making croissants because I had a hard time resisting the urge to eat all that I baked. But I still have a croissant ideal that I've yet to reach, so back at it again. For those familiar with making croissants, I did two double (book) turns. Straight dough, no preferments only because I wanted to get back into the rhythm of making these calorie bombs. For my next batch, I'll do an overnight retard in the refrigerator for more complex flavor by way fermentation.

For my next batch, I will also use more salt and maybe more sugar.

I experimented with two types of egg washes:

1) one egg, two tbs milk
2) one egg, two tbs water

The one with milk were slightly shinier, but its sort of hard to tell.

Outstanding!

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to resub to this thread!

Trying a dessert for the first time with the Anova. Found a recipe online. Went to dark with the caramel. Don't even want to add up the calories...

LJW0Chn.jpg

Having some guests over tomorrow. Cooking some spinach+paneer and some ground goat.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone here use a baking stone? What's your experience with them? If you have a brand you can recommend, lemme know!

I plan to use it for making bread. I want to try making baguettes at home, and one method I've heard used for a home oven is to bake it on top of a baking stone, covered with a fish poaching pot (to hold in steam).

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Always wanted to try making these. Please post pics when you turn them out :)

They turned out rather well! Very thick consistency (how I like them) but I think the recipe is flexible enough with the egg yolks and the evaporated milk choice that one should be able to get their desired consistency.

XTAsZG6.jpg

My inexperience with the caramel showed... I burnt it a little bit but I liked the slight bitterness as a contrast. Not everyone was a fan of that though.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
They turned out rather well! Very thick consistency (how I like them) but I think the recipe is flexible enough with the egg yolks and the evaporated milk choice that one should be able to get their desired consistency.

XTAsZG6.jpg

My inexperience with the caramel showed... I burnt it a little bit but I liked the slight bitterness as a contrast. Not everyone was a fan of that though.

Looks good! One of my favorite ice creams, Jeni's sated caramel, also has a slight bitter finish which I like.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Looking good, Andy. Good luck Chitown. I've been crunching so haven't really hard time to bake or do anything, can't wait to have some time to unwind, make some pasta from scratch.

OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Its been an eternity since I've posted any culinary updates I realized!

I was pastry sous chef for the last year but as of yesterday, I've officially accepted the position of pastry assistant at a two michelin star restaurant.

Its been a super long road just to get here but I can't wait to show you guys whats to come. I'm gonna bump this thread again in a bit with tooooons of photos of my most recent bakes just to share my progress :)

I love seeing everyone in here learning together and sharing their experiences. You guys are incredible. Keep cooking your hearts out ♡

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

I was pastry sous chef for the last year but as of yesterday, I've officially accepted the position of pastry assistant at a two michelin star restaurant.

Its been a super long road just to get here but I can't wait to show you guys whats to come. I'm gonna bump this thread again in a bit with tooooons of photos of my most recent bakes just to share my progress :)

I love seeing everyone in here learning together and sharing their experiences. You guys are incredible. Keep cooking your hearts out ♡

Congratulations!

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017

Wow. Congrats!

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017

You make me proud! Congratulations and best of success for the new challenge!

OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Holy shit Bento, grats!
You make me proud! Congratulations and best of success for the new challenge!

You guys are the sweetest. Thank you so much!! Its going to be insanely hard but I look forward to the challenge.

I'll try to post photos when I can. Feel free to follow me on instagram to see more active updates of my kitchen life though ! My username is @femmefraise ♡

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
You guys are the sweetest. Thank you so much!! Its going to be insanely hard but I look forward to the challenge.

I'll try to post photos when I can. Feel free to follow me on instagram to see more active updates of my kitchen life though ! My username is @femmefraise ♡

Followed, and congrats!

le-seb

Oct 31, 2017
Congratulations, Infinitebento!

Tonight, I've tried making some spinach and greuil cheese stuffed cannelloni:
Cannelloni.jpg

Took me two hours to cook, which is not that bad considering I've made everything from scratch.
And it turned out really good.

In case you wonder, greuil is the name given around here to some kind of fresh cheese made from whey (same-ish to what they call brousse in Provence, or brocciu in Corsica).

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna try to use our wok today, but I can't get a flame hot enough to burn off all the coating :(

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna try to use our wok today, but I can't get a flame hot enough to burn off all the coating :(

I am on an electric stove. So I used the boiling water method that the wok manufacturer suggested. Filled it almost to the brim with water and left it on boil for 5-10 minutes. Then scrubbed it with some tongs and a steel scrubber.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I am on an electric stove. So I used the boiling water method that the wok manufacturer suggested. Filled it almost to the brim with water and left it on boil for 5-10 minutes. Then scrubbed it with some tongs and a steel scrubber.

I've never heard of that method before. Wish I'd known about it. Burning off the coating is the most inconvenient aspect of owning a new wok. I had to do it outside using an induction cooktop because my kitchen range hood wouldn't have been powerful enough to clear out the black smoke. Next time if I need a new wok, I'm going to do what my friend did: visit a nearby Chinese restaurant and ask if I can buy one of their used woks lol.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I tried boiling it on my induction plate, and even that didn't get hot enough for a true boil. We'll be taking it to a friend who owns a restaurant lol

I think the grated on my top are too high. I haven't tried removing the little plate that spreads the flame though. Does anybody know of a good riser(?) to rest it on? The one we have is too short when taking off the grates, though again, haven't tried taking off the flame spreader.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I tried boiling it on my induction plate, and even that didn't get hot enough for a true boil. We'll be taking it to a friend who owns a restaurant lol

I think the grated on my top are too high. I haven't tried removing the little plate that spreads the flame though. Does anybody know of a good riser(?) to rest it on? The one we have is too short when taking off the grates, though again, haven't tried taking off the flame spreader.

Taking it to a restaurant is the best bet if you have that option. But have you tried covering the top of the wok with aluminum foil to keep in the heat. Maybe that will help with bringing it to a boil?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Taking it to a restaurant is the best bet if you have that option. But have you tried covering the top of the wok with aluminum foil to keep in the heat. Maybe that will help with bringing it to a boil?

But if the problem is not fixed, cooking on it would also be a problem right?

Zoe - Do all four of your burners have the same heating power?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Made some twice cooked pork!

Tastes pretty good but the belly is a little tougher than I like. I halved this recipe I was following (1lb meat to 1/2 lb ) but didn't cut down on the time for boiling. Would that be the cause of the problem or did I mess up elsewhere?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
been making sourdough lately. Really interesting process. And delicious :) Made my own starter from flour and water.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Made my first ever tart. I've tried store bought lemon tarts my entire life but was never completely satisfied with the sharpness. So I made my own using this recipe from Sorted. But I used a THIRD of the sugar they asked for. It tasted fine to me in its raw form, but I didn't factor water evaporation into it. So after baking it's VERY SHARP, VERY TART. Lemon lovers who like sharpness will love it. I like it a lot, but next time I'll add like 20 g more sugar. But you know what, when I dusted it with confectioner sugar and topped it with a dollop of very slightly sweetened whip cream (freshly made from the left over double cream I had), it's almost perfect.

Things I need to improve upon:
1. The bottom of the short crust dough wasn't crispy enough. Bake it longer next time.
2. Tap out all the bubbles from the mix before pouring it in. All those bubbles bug me.
3. Cook for less time. The surface cracked, so I assume I cooked it for too long. But the texture was very good.

I love sour desserts. I'm going to practice this a few more times to nail down my own version of the recipe, and maybe make it for Thanksgiving.

Original Recipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zChpPWZaqPE

Oct 25, 2017
Hey there IronEra, been meaning to post here more often as I get more and more into cooking. Wondering if anyone's got some rice tips that elevate the rice game. I've always felt mind ends up pretty bland.

Also any cooking youtube channel recommendations? When I'm hungry at night I like to just climb into that hole of "I wish I could make that...."

Oct 25, 2017
Are you cooking a fried rice or a stir fry or a risotto or?

When I was in college I would cook up a pot of medium grain Japanese rice, mix in a little tahini and salt, and just eat it. Mmm.

Just some plain rice. I ended up frying some big chunks of ginger in olive oil then frying up the rice grains a bit in the same oil before adding water/boil/regular rice prep. Didn't add as much flavor as I wanted ;_;

le-seb

Oct 31, 2017
You can try adding all kinds of spices to the water you're using, but this won't flavour your rice as much as it would if you cook it the "pilaf" way:
1. Stir fry some chopped onion in a bit of olive oil
2. Add 1 volume of rice and continue stir frying until grains become translucent
3. Add 1.5 volume of water, and season with some salt and spices you fancy
4. Let cook for 20 minutes, either in pan or in oven

Close to the end, you can also add some more stuff, like meat or vegetables (I usually make mine with bell peppers and chorizo or chicken left-overs).

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Just some plain rice. I ended up frying some big chunks of ginger in olive oil then frying up the rice grains a bit in the same oil before adding water/boil/regular rice prep. Didn't add as much flavor as I wanted ;_;

As Seb said, you'll want to season, etc. Things like this are on the far end:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/27072/mexican-rice-ii/

Or this:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/56059/asian-coconut-rice/

(I haven't tried either recipe just finding the basic ideas quickly.)

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
For those of you who frequently eat with chopsticks, what kind of reusable chopsticks would you recommend? I like to keep disposable sets on hand in case I need them for anything, but my wife asked why I didn't buy the reusable kind. The answer is that I had some in the past that were made of plastic and I felt like they were too slick and hard to grip things with. The disposable bamboo kind, on the other hand, seem to grip a lot better. Maybe there's a good reusable substitute that I don't know about.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who frequently eat with chopsticks, what kind of reusable chopsticks would you recommend? I like to keep disposable sets on hand in case I need them for anything, but my wife asked why I didn't buy the reusable kind. The answer is that I had some in the past that were made of plastic and I felt like they were too slick and hard to grip things with. The disposable bamboo kind, on the other hand, seem to grip a lot better. Maybe there's a good reusable substitute that I don't know about.

I got a set of stainless steel ones from a local Korean grocery store. 5 pairs for $6 or something like that. They have grooves at the end that help when I am eating something slippery.

vN48oWj.png

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

I've tried a bunch, and have some. But the disposable ones are always the best because they are dry and non slippery.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017

Just buy wooden chopsticks. They're washable.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have a go to pumpkin pie recipe they've made and can recommend? I'm going to test out two pie recipes leading up to Thanksgiving and pick the better recipe. It'll be something I bring to a potluck I have with my cousins, so it's gotta be delicious!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I got a set of stainless steel ones from a local Korean grocery store. 5 pairs for $6 or something like that. They have grooves at the end that help when I am eating something slippery.

vN48oWj.png

I should check my Korean market; I rarely use chopsticks, but metal ones should last forever compared to wood.