• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I was craving a baguette with butter last night so might have to go shopping this morning. 🙄 Good luck with the bake! 👌

Turned out pretty decent! First rise was good, a little more than double. The second proof didn't double the baguettes, maybe it was too cold.

yW0kOxs.jpg

Ate some with butter. Will toast slices tomorrow for bruschetta.

Oct 25, 2017
Made French Onion soup for the first time and it came out amazing! I used to hate this soup as a teen so I'm really shocked that I enjoyed this as much as i did.

T9dXU6s.jpg

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Made French Onion soup for the first time and it came out amazing! I used to hate this soup as a teen so I'm really shocked that I enjoyed this as much as i did.
I haven't tried french onion soup since I was a teen either (didn't like it) but that looks tasty! I must brave it again.

Turned out pretty decent! First rise was good, a little more than double. The second proof didn't double the baguettes, maybe it was too cold.

Ate some with butter. Will toast slices tomorrow for bruschetta.

That looks super! I folded and bought a baguette yesterday but made the mistake of eating some before bed and I've been up most of the night with chronic indigestion. I wish bread liked me more. :/

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

T9dXU6s.jpg

I need to work on this. The only time I tried was for an ex GF who loved the stuff (ordered it absolutely every time it was on a menu so I wanted to master it for her). I could tell from her lukewarm, pretending-to-love-it reaction it was shit. I think I didn't let it simmer nearly long enough, and used the wrong cheese.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I made my first croque madame. The only reason I made it was to use up the bread I have hogging space in the freezer. Plus, it was good learning experience. I'd only ever made bechamel once before, back when I was learning from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and I'd never made a mornay before. I think I didn't cook out the flour enough because the bechamel tasted sorta floury, even though I cooked the roux out for like 4 minutes! But it didn't make a difference once you added the strong tasting gruyere. I had to add extra milk to fix the consistency because it was too thick.

Ugly to look at but it was good. And it used up almost 900 calories of my allotted 2100! I got carried away with the blow torch haha so the mornay was more burnt than browned. And I broke the yolk so it fried lopsided. Weird.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I made my first croque madame. The only reason I made it was to use up the bread I have hogging space in the freezer. Plus, it was good learning experience. I'd only ever made bechamel once before, back when I was learning from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and I'd never made a mornay before. I think I didn't cook out the flour enough because the bechamel tasted sorta floury, even though I cooked the roux out for like 4 minutes! But it didn't make a difference once you added the strong tasting gruyere. I had to add extra milk to fix the consistency because it was too thick.

Ugly to look at but it was good. And it used up almost 900 calories of my allotted 2100! I got carried away with the blow torch haha so the mornay was more burnt than browned. And I broke the yolk so it fried lopsided. Weird.

Friggin' delicious.

There was a special on Atlantic salmon, so I made a couple of pounds of gravlax, and baked the skins into umami crackers:

myjt1.jpg

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Making fish skin crackers is brilliant, dude!!! How long does it take to bake them, and does the house smell fishy afterward??

Lightly rubbed with vegetable oil and salted, then baked for an hour at 250 F (on a rack over a foil-lined pan, of course.) You will get a not-unpleasant baked salmon smell, but that'll disappear when you trash the oil-covered foil. They're *very* crispy :)

On a previous attempt I tried to mortar and pestle the skin into some kind of furikake-style salty salmon powder, but there's still just enough oil left in them that it just turns into a gritty paste.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Any of you ever cook on an Aga stove? Seems like a pain to work with, not sure why it is so sought after.
They're a pain in the crack.

We rented a beautfiul country house in Yorkshire one year with an Aga and it was a roasting summer. These old Agas are always on (the plates and ovens are regulated at a set temperature) so when it's 30 degrees outside and you've got an Aga throwing out all that extra heat in a kitchen with no air conditioning and no way of turning it off, well....you might just as well be sitting on the surface of the sun. We booked the house for the week but left after 3 days as it was unbearable.

They were considered desirable by housewives with country kitchens in the 70s and 80s and still have a cult following, but I find them unattractive and impractical. They never look clean either. 😳

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
As an American, I honestly never heard of those stoves until I watched the Great British Baking Show. Apparently you're a real baller if you own one?

I looked it up some more, and it turns out an aga uses enough power in a week that a regular stove consumes in about a year's standard use! Rather absurd.

They're a pain in the crack.

We rented a beautfiul country house in Yorkshire one year with an Aga and it was a roasting summer. These old Agas are always on (the plates and ovens are regulated at a set temperature) so when it's 30 degrees outside and you've got an Aga throwing out all that extra heat in a kitchen with no air conditioning and no way of turning it off, well....you might just as well be sitting on the surface of the sun. We booked the house for the week but left after 3 days as it was unbearable.

They were considered desirable by housewives with country kitchens in the 70s and 80s and still have a cult following, but I find them unattractive and impractical. They never look clean either. 😳

Yeah, they do sound like a huge pain. I guess it is just 'exclusivity' or nostalgia that makes people hang on to them. Just having one high/one medium burner seems rather limiting too.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I came across this article claiming that the New York Times Cooking website has the best comments section on the internet, and it made me consciously aware of something I had previously only felt in my bones. I'm a huge fan of the site and am happy to pay the $5/mo required to use it for the reasons listed in the article and many more. I promise I do not get a kickback for recommending the site, but I do recommend it enthusiastically.

Oct 25, 2017
My second attempt at a black bean soup came out waaaaay better than my first (and my first was pretty good). I added in some homemade mango salsa and the addition of salsa really elevated the taste. Also I forgot how much I enjoy reading recipes from cookbooks. yeah sure cooking videos on youtube are useful and give you a good visual aid for what your food should look like, but there's just something to the thrill of cooking with no idea about how the fuck any of this should be looking.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Made some creme caramel yesterday. So quick and easy to make.

8GDGlOJ.jpg

That looks lovely, what kind of dal did you use?

Have you ever tried Dalcha (usually made with goat meat)?
I use a 50/50 mix of split red lentils and Moong Dahl initially cooked with ghee, turmeric and yellow mustard seeds.👍🏻

I think I may have tried Dalcha many moons ago but I haven't eaten lamb, mutton or goat for a long while now.

I have to say that Creme Caramel is one of my all time favourite desserts and I would eat that now! I could literally eat a whole pudding bowl of the stuff. There's never enough of it!!

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
My second attempt at a black bean soup came out waaaaay better than my first (and my first was pretty good). I added in some homemade mango salsa and the addition of salsa really elevated the taste. Also I forgot how much I enjoy reading recipes from cookbooks. yeah sure cooking videos on youtube are useful and give you a good visual aid for what your food should look like, but there's just something to the thrill of cooking with no idea about how the fuck any of this should be looking.

I see your point of view. I also take a certain approach to cooking from recipes that considers more than just whether something is the "best" version of a dish. I don't adhere to that philosophy anymore. In fact, I find these declarations tedious (I'm looking at you Americas Test Kitchen and Serious Eats). I want to get into the chefs head and try to understand their approach to cooking. It will help me get a sense of their palate. Even if I don't like their version of the dish. It could also mean they are bad at writing recipes, but that's something I can figure out later.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I've been eating a lot of beans lately and just made something I'm kind of obsessed with because it just tastes so damn good even though it's so simple.

Cooked black beans with cumin, coriander, onion powder, white rice as normal, then combined with some whole grain mustard (I used Plochmans) and the juice of two limes and it really works. It's not that surprising that those things taste good but I'm surprised how good it is.

Next time I think I want to try using the zest for extra liminess.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I have decided there is no point in investing in my 401k anymore, I will just stockpile bottles of vanilla extract.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier but I started using my aged fruit that wouldn't be particularly tasty to eat to add to/make sauces instead of throwing it out. Normally I eat it all but occasionally I'll have grapes or strawberries or tangerines that have withered or, in yesterday's case, some strawberries that my malfunctioning fridge decided to freeze and when they thawed they were all funky.

I pressed them to get strawberry juice, added sriracha honey, red pepper flakes and a tad of soy sauce. Shit was awesome.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier but I started using my aged fruit that wouldn't be particularly tasty to eat to add to/make sauces instead of throwing it out. Normally I eat it all but occasionally I'll have grapes or strawberries or tangerines that have withered or, in yesterday's case, some strawberries that my malfunctioning fridge decided to freeze and when they thawed they were all funky.

I pressed them to get strawberry juice, added sriracha honey, red pepper flakes and a tad of soy sauce. Shit was awesome.

That's a good idea. I thought about blending in some mild, aged fruit into pasta sauce once but was afraid I'd ruin a perfectly good batch of tomatoes that way. They're expensive here this time of year.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, making oat milk is so easy and so inexpensive. It's just oats, water and a pinch of salt (and probably vanilla extract and maple syrup.) It's so creamy, and the oaty aftertaste feels like I've just had a cookie. But it's vegan and actually *lowers* cholesterol thanks to all the beta-glucan.

Twenty minutes tops, including soaking and rinsing the oats. I could easily make it alongside my cold brew coffee a couple of times a week for the rest of my life!

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
No lecithin or anything to emulsify? I used to make rice milk from scratch all the time when I was in college. Being poor was strong motivation to find the time...

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
No lecithin or anything to emulsify? I used to make rice milk from scratch all the time when I was in college. Being poor was strong motivation to find the time...

No, but I did use 50% more oats than the recipe (https://avirtualvegan.com/oat-milk/) called for, and also not realizing my roommate's blender didn't have nearly enough liquid capacity for what I was trying :P

But it turned out great, and even after watering down the finished product, it had a similar consistency to skim milk.

*AND* I reserved the oat pulp to use in smoothies/yogurt/brownies. No waste!

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Prepared my first ever hummus today, result was tasty but a bit to strong on the tahini side. I might just add some chickpeas tomorrow to balance it out. Just used a video from YouTube to have an idea of the general process and ingredients, so now I can just improve it myself (I hate following recipes, prefer to try and learn!).

It is really easy to do, not ever gonna buy it in the market (more often than not they have a consistency of mayonnaise, which I really dislike).

Last week I was supposed to do a spinach cream but mid recipe I decided to add lots of bacon and garlic for extra flavour. It didn't became a cream but it was really great, we used it to add some good taste to our white rice and to a tasteless beef we cooked.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
A follow-up on my oat milk adventures: I reserved the leftover pulp from about a gallon's worth, mixed in a little honey and salt, then baked it into some oat biscuits/crackers:

They smell great, are practically all fiber, and I bet they'll be perfect with some goat cheese and honey.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Oh goodness those look scrumptious!

Going to be trying my hand at a tres leches cake soon with my partner, any tips y'all?

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017

Aaaaand it's done! Easter dessert along with cassava from one of their family friends. It turned out to be the best so far of the desserts my partner and I have made together, thanks for the recipe Cosmic Bus! I haven't had tres leches in ages, but everyone said it tasted great and we trust them lol, only thing mentioned was that it could have been softer, pretty sure we cooked it a little too long. It was wonderfully sweet and moist though, a really fun recipe to work through together. Baking is so fun :D

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Yay, my Thanos snap ban is over! In the weeks that I have been gone, I have made some good stuff.

Lentils with chorizo, greens, and yellow rice

Quiche with herbs and goat cheese

Feta-brined roast chicken on a bed of arugula

And not a recipe, but...
I finally got my cast iron skillet to a point where it's very non-stick! I put some salmon in the sous vide and it was fall apart tender, but didn't stick to the pan even a little bit after a quick sear. I was so happy.

I'm not even going to conceal my excitement, tbh.

I have heard great things about this and plan to watch this weekend.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
The tres leches cake and quiche look so tasty. I gotta get back to cooking something other than ground turkey and chicken thighs (dieting :( )

edit: Meant to say "tres leches", not tiramasu!

Last edited:

le-seb

Oct 31, 2017
Nice.

Reminds me the tourteau fromager which is one of my favourite cakes, and based upon goat cheese:
tourteau-fromager--991x600.jpg

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Prepared my first ever hummus today, result was tasty but a bit to strong on the tahini side. I might just add some chickpeas tomorrow to balance it out. Just used a video from YouTube to have an idea of the general process and ingredients, so now I can just improve it myself (I hate following recipes, prefer to try and learn!).

It is really easy to do, not ever gonna buy it in the market (more often than not they have a consistency of mayonnaise, which I really dislike).

I always used to struggle with hummus until I bothered to actually put in the effort to weigh out my stuff. I know you say you hate recipes but I found the following ratio works great for me:

8 parts chickpeas
4 parts tahini
2 parts lemon juice
1 part olive oil

2 cloves of garlic and a big pinch of salt.

So for me it's pretty much one 200g tin of chickpeas, 100g tahini, 50g lemon juice & 25g olive oil, just do a half measure of each of the preceding ingredient. The only trick I use is to blend the tahini and lemon juice into a paste as the first step.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
ALRIGHT. Next dessert on the list is a bundt cake. Also trying to make it purple, for reasons... any advice? All I know right now is to make sure the pan is extra buttered haha

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the place to ask about cooking appliances? Have some questions regarding built in ovens and stoves. Among baumatic, Glem, and Smeg, which is better?