• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Made me laugh, from my days working in kitchens with no formal cooking education after several years:

XErzjhc.jpg

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Ikea's Sensuell line of steel pans and pots is pretty damn good. I have a large frying pan and it rocks. Super hefty and solid for a very competitive price, although I see a lot of complains from people who obviously don't understand how steel works and think they can substitute a non-stick. Also, big fat lols @ Zoidbergs. I never heard of that. They are also pretty good for the money!

As for the cooking, I haven't done a lot of it lately since I've been super involved in an apartment renovation, but I finally put that behind me. So this weekend we treated ourselves with Chef John's sausage mushroom chicken and salami bread.

The chicken came out incredibly flavourful and shockingly well made. I usually detest "juicy" chicken, but this one was perfect. It's also pretty damn easy (if a bit involved) and very cheap to make, since we usually pick wild mushrooms during autumn and keep them in the freezer. It's a fantastic recipe, although you can probably fed four people with just one entire breast.

The salami bread was less of a proper meal and more of a diner and late night snack, since we intenteded it to be devoured while playing Vampire: Bloodlines. Also very easy to make and obviously very, very filling.

Oct 25, 2017
I made a potato and leek soup the other day cause i kinda wanted to try something with leeks and god damn it came out tasty. However my recipe made waaaay more than I could ever possibly eat so I am trying out the whole freezing soup thing for the first time. Anyways I guess I'm just getting more and more into soups now.

Side note: I always forget to turn off the heat when I blend thicker soups so the pops of the air bubble always burn my arm. Ouch!

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any Vitamix recipes they wanna share? Smoothies or whatever, I just want to get more use of the thing

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Does anyone have any Vitamix recipes they wanna share? Smoothies or whatever, I just want to get more use of the thing

For whatever reason once I hit this post-workout shake I stuck with it.

- About 1C of whole milk (substitute whatever liquid)
- One semi-mushy banana
- Two scoops unflavored whey powder
- Handful of blueberries
- Heaping tablespoon of creamy peanut butter
- Scant tablespoon of cocoa powder

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I miss being able to make bread every day 😭
Now I just do it once in a while when there's time at work.

img_20190430_142006glkch.jpg

img_20190506_141213b3j4m.jpg

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I miss being able to make bread every day 😭
Now I just do it once in a while when there's time at work.

Really nice. What %hydration do you use?

I've done sourdough in the past but my starter always ended up dying on me! Now, I just either do an overnight starter with all the liquid and only half the water or a 24hr no-knead (ish!) loaf.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
my sourdough has been really flat lately. I think it's due to the weather changing. I'm pretty sure it's been overproofing.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
All my bread looks like crap and/or comes out with crust that could be measured on the Mohs scale.

I want to blame the dry yeast or my oven, but I know I'm just fucking up somewhere.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
72% on the sour, 80% ciabatta. I love doing even higher, but only have one banneton and no real couche - I've been using a large cloth restaurant napkin to hold most of the shaped bread for now, hah.

Yeah, I've done 95% hydration ciabatta before and that needs a very deft touch to not end up as a flat bread!

Might have to up my standard loaf as I normally go around 64-65%

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What's the difference between regular wonton soup and "wor wonton soup"? New item on the menu at my local Chinese place, never heard of it before.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
What's the difference between regular wonton soup and "wor wonton soup"? New item on the menu at my local Chinese place, never heard of it before.

I'm just going off memory here but I think wor wonton soup includes other items like sliced bbq pork and shrimp? I could google it but what's the fun in that. Hmm I'm probably wrong though.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
any of yall work with fiddlehead ferns before? got a bunch today and am planning on blanching and sauteeing them and having tacos with some grilled onions et al. what have you guys done with them that's good?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm just going off memory here but I think wor wonton soup includes other items like sliced bbq pork and shrimp? I could google it but what's the fun in that. Hmm I'm probably wrong though.

Thanks. I tried googling, it returned a number of different recipes, some of which didn't seem all that different from the plain wonton soup they serve. I'll just order some tomorrow night and find out, hah.

any of yall work with fiddlehead ferns before? got a bunch today and am planning on blanching and sauteeing them and having tacos with some grilled onions et al. what have you guys done with them that's good?

I usually saute with garlic and onions - but if you're going to use them with tacos, I'd suggest cooking a small batch up and giving them a taste, see if it's something you really want to use on a taco. Or it might give you an idea of what kind of taco if you do end up liking them.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Made some Misir Wat*!

[*Approximated for berbere by mixing up some garam masala and other spices. And substituted Indian dosa for injera (hey, they are both fermented batters).]

3zbQCPq.jpg

Have to go find and buy some berbere and teff.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
There is a special place in hell for people who put incorrect/fake recipes on youtube.

Was making some shortbread style cookies and the dough just wouldn't come together. I somehow salvaged it but I guess I should have looked up a few more recipes first.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
There is a special place in hell for people who put incorrect/fake recipes on youtube.

Was making some shortbread style cookies and the dough just wouldn't come together. I somehow salvaged it but I guess I should have looked up a few more recipes first.

I saw a recipe for crumpets online and it was 300g of flour and 2 TABLESPOONS of yeast!! I haven't tried it as I dread to think what'd happen with that amount!

Oct 27, 2017
Got some preserves, jelly and bbq sauce from a local orchard. What to make with em hmmmm

xfOXTGj.jpg

Can anyone tell me is there a piece of equipment or machine for home use that I can tear chicken and steak into small pieces? Like the steak from Taco Bell,little bite sized chunks and strips. Possibly something that tenderizes it as well? I have a food processor but that chops things down a bit too much. Thanks.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me is there a piece of equipment or machine for home use that I can tear chicken and steak into small pieces? Like the steak from Taco Bell,little bite sized chunks and strips. Possibly something that tenderizes it as well? I have a food processor but that chops things down a bit too much. Thanks.

If you want thin strips before cooking, you can freeze the cuts of meat for a bit and slice with a sharp knife.

To tenderize them, it depends on the type of food you are cooking. Lime juice/garlic/ginger if you want those flavours. Shaoxing wine if you are cooking Chinese. Papaya juice or lime/ginger/garlic or yoghurt if you are cooking Indian. Pear juice for Korean.

Many times the strips are also made after cooking. (e.g., pulled pork)

Then you can buy one of these.

nKGQrK6.gif

(You should just use forks/chopsticks)

Oct 27, 2017
If you want thin strips before cooking, you can freeze the cuts of meat for a bit and slice with a sharp knife.

To tenderize them, it depends on the type of food you are cooking. Lime juice/garlic/ginger if you want those flavours. Shaoxing wine if you are cooking Chinese. Papaya juice or lime/ginger/garlic or yoghurt if you are cooking Indian. Pear juice for Korean.

Many times the strips are also made after cooking. (e.g., pulled pork)

Then you can buy one of these.

nKGQrK6.gif

(You should just use forks/chopsticks)

Thanks for the response,those tenderizing ideas sound great. As for the meat I'm looking for something like the pic below,looks sliced but in asymmetrical form. And the same for chicken,specifically thigh meat,looking for that 'torn' into small chunks look as opposed to diced or sliced. These are mainly going to be used for rice bowls and I prefer not to have the fajita like sliced cut.
https://i.imgur.com/nDfdhFw.jpg

Edit 38 seconds at this video for chicken https://youtu.be/-hqeunEiCOc

Last edited:

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the response,those tenderizing ideas sound great. As for the meat I'm looking for something like the pic below,looks sliced but in asymmetrical form. And the same for chicken,specifically thigh meat,looking for that 'torn' into small chunks look as opposed to diced or sliced. These are mainly going to be used for rice bowls and I prefer not to have the fajita like sliced cut.

That just comes down to the cut of meat and the direction of slicing.

Maybe this is along the lines of what you are looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0hg6grl2is

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Looking at that picture I'm thinking you'd probably be after a couple of griddle scrapers/choppers. They're the kind of thing they use to chop up meat for a philly cheesesteak.

31k6wpq1PgL._SY355_.jpg

Oct 27, 2017

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Our friends would just use meat shears for their young kids when they were cutting them bits of meat. Not sure how much automation you're looking for and how much product you want to push through it.

Oct 27, 2017
For American Chinese foods like general chicken and the like with uneven chunks of chicken thighs,how do they get the pieces like that? Doesn't seem diced or sliced,just chunks of torn chicken,I want that just on a smaller scale.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I always used to struggle with hummus until I bothered to actually put in the effort to weigh out my stuff. I know you say you hate recipes but I found the following ratio works great for me:

8 parts chickpeas
4 parts tahini
2 parts lemon juice
1 part olive oil

2 cloves of garlic and a big pinch of salt.

So for me it's pretty much one 200g tin of chickpeas, 100g tahini, 50g lemon juice & 25g olive oil, just do a half measure of each of the preceding ingredient. The only trick I use is to blend the tahini and lemon juice into a paste as the first step.

I do read recipes at first to have a general idea, it after I cook it once I try to adjust myself the quantities. Will try your recipe right now.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Moved into an apartment with a kitchen on campus for summer classes. Partner's family gifted me an old set of stainless steel pots and pans so I was raring to go.

Ended up burning the bottom of a pot of rice for the first time in my life. Not like concón burnt, like tar black on the bottom 😱. Learned a valuable lesson on not crowding pots....

But it was a learning experience and I'm gonna keep at it! I'll make 1000 foolish mistakes over the summer if it means getting better at cooking. Gosh, it's enjoyable even when things go south :)

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Moved into an apartment with a kitchen on campus for summer classes. Partner's family gifted me an old set of stainless steel pots and pans so I was raring to go.

Ended up burning the bottom of a pot of rice for the first time in my life. Not like concón burnt, like tar black on the bottom 😱. Learned a valuable lesson on not crowding pots....

But it was a learning experience and I'm gonna keep at it! I'll make 1000 foolish mistakes over the summer if it means getting better at cooking. Gosh, it's enjoyable even when things go south :)

I once burnt a brand new pot, in my late 20's, after having made rice hundreds of times by that point. It happens. Even hardened line cooks fuck up a pot or pan once in a while.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Interviewed at a Michelin 2-star place today. Per head dinner is like $300-400, but they're only offering slightly above minimum wage for a specialized position, lol. Why am I still in this idiot industry again?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Interviewed at a Michelin 2-star place today. Per head dinner is like $300-400, but they're only offering slightly above minimum wage for a specialized position, lol. Why am I still in this idiot industry again?

Ouch, that sounds terrible. I have also heard horror stories of unrealistic staging expectations at these places, that true?

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Wouldn't know, this was just the interview with an open invitation to stage (paid, at least). I know better than to go along for a ride without asking about money, though, so I'm not wasting my time and theirs.

This is also the second Michelin starred restaurant that has expressed interest in me and then given an offer that involves a 25% pay cut. Like, I already barely make enough to continue living here, y'all are out of your damn minds.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017

Is this in the Bay Area? I know you mentioned before that you were in LA but if I recall Michelin doesn't cover Los Angeles. Regardless the low pay in the restaurant industry is untenable for employees. In the Bay Area, specifically SF there is a shortage of workers. I know someone who managed a 1 star michelin restaurant in the Napa region and they also had trouble filling staff. She admitted the pay they offered sucked.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
LA; this place was Michelin-rated prior to the guide leaving the city. As an aside, isn't it supposed to be returning later this year? I was reading last night that they're expected to be doing an all-encompassing California edition now instead of separate city or northern/central/southern guides.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
LA; this place was Michelin-rated prior to the guide leaving the city. As an aside, isn't it supposed to be returning later this year? I was reading last night that they're expected to be doing an all-encompassing California edition now instead of separate city or northern/central/southern guides.

Cool, I didn't know they were coming back to LA. Maybe good for business but I don't really put much stock into Michelin's opinion about anything except French cuisine since they interpret food through a French lens. I'll stick to reading the LA Times new and improved food section.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Got a load of eggs from a former coworker, but as someone who has only ever had chicken eggs I have no idea how I should cook these up. Turkey, goose, duck, hen! Fried, scrambled, omelet, boil??

Duck eggs are great for baking as they have a higher protein level and more egg white than chicken eggs, I imagine goose eggs will be similar. I think the thicker shell means they last longer too.

I also like scrambled duck eggs. As they have a higher fat content they taste really rich but without the need for lots of butter. I personally don't bother frying them as I've found they can be pretty rubbery when cooked that way.

Never had (or seen!) a turkey egg in my life so I'd maybe try boiling or poaching one to start with to see what happens with the albumen.