• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
And this is what's gonna speed up the re-opening fastest. Even his shit ass base isn't gonna put up with not getting their money.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this should even be called a shutdown any longer if all of these departments / arms of government are being exceptioned and being labeled as "essential". I think we are now past the term of "shutdown" and should relabel it, as a selective defunding and shuttering of departments the admin doesn't like / don't have use for.

But that would be inaccurate as the admin absolutely likes and has use for these essential departments. They just don't want to pay them. So it's worse than a shutdown.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
I truly feel sorry for those people who are not being paid and are having to scrape together anything to get by. I can't imagine people who live in climates that are experiencing frozen temperatures now. At least in the summer you have more options to do things but being in winter really limits your options, not to mention the need for heat. So many people are going to be scarred by this and its upsetting that the elites won't be touched. They need to feel something.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
It's anecdotal, but according to som people i know who work for the irs (and left claiming hardship), they only called back the frontline call center people who have limited ability to solve issues. All the other departments are still shutdown. So unless your return is filed online with direct deposit, and has absolutely no issues, You still probably would get your refund back until the IRS opens. So even if everyone stayed it wouldn't help that much.

Still I'm glad to see someone standing up to them. Asking people to work Without pay is nuts.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an IRS employee but work inside an IRS building.

What was said in the article is mostly true. Department managers were called in last Wednesday to start bringing their people in by this past Tuesday. On Tuesday, a significant number of employees came in long enough to claim hardship and leave.

I'd say for the site I'm working from, something like 30-40 percent of the standard workforce is in.

Again bears mentioning that there's several programs out there for furloughed employees. We're offering extended due dates on existing loans, have a whole suite of furlough loans, etc. Hell, we bought 225 pizzas for the building yesterday.

So rather than a hot take, I'd rather supply some relevant information. I'm in a meeting all day today (in part to talk about yesterday's pizza) but will try to keep tabs.

Edited to add: the "working for free" is slightly disingenuous. They will get paid in full once the government reopens but there's going to be a shitload of work to be done once that happens. It's really going to be '20 before we're all caught up from the aftermath of this mess. Believe me, nobody wants this shutdown to end more than I do. These government employees are what keeps my office going. Just want to separate the facts from the rhetoric.

As for me, I still believe this shutdown doesn't end until an emergency declaration. That'll be laughed off in the courts, everyone will have moved on to the next dumb shit that Trump does and I'll be left helping my clients dig themselves out of this mess.

Axumite

Nov 19, 2017
I fully support this and I am happy to delay my refund if it means defending these federal workers.

Many members of the general public need this wake up call. Now they'll know what it feels like to be denied money that you deserve for an extended period of time. Hopefully their anger will be directed towards those who are truly responsible, instead of whoever Fox News tells them to hate.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017

What was said in the article is mostly true. Department managers were called in last Wednesday to start bringing their people in by this past Tuesday. On Tuesday, a significant number of employees came in long enough to claim hardship and leave.

I'd say for the site I'm working from, something like 30-40 percent of the standard workforce is in.

Again bears mentioning that there's several programs out there for furloughed employees. We're offering extended due dates on existing loans, have a whole suite of furlough loans, etc. Hell, we bought 225 pizzas for the building yesterday.

So rather than a hot take, I'd rather supply some relevant information. I'm in a meeting all day today (in part to talk about yesterday's pizza) but will try to keep tabs.

Edited to add: the "working for free" is slightly disingenuous. They will get paid in full once the government reopens but there's going to be a shitload of work to be done once that happens. It's really going to be '20 before we're all caught up from the aftermath of this mess. Believe me, nobody wants this shutdown to end more than I do. These government employees are what keeps my office going. Just want to separate the facts from the rhetoric.

As for me, I still believe this shutdown doesn't end until an emergency declaration. That'll be laughed off in the courts, everyone will have moved on to the next dumb shit that Trump does and I'll be left helping my clients dig themselves out of this mess.
That's cold comfort to those who honestly can't afford to be without income right now, though.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your input, but the bold and underlined is of no comfort for people being asked to come in and work when they have bills to pay, food to buy, and when a lot of them have to pay money for gas and transit just to come in to do a job. A job they aren't currently being paid for. It'd be one thing if there was a known end date, but how long do you expect people to go without pay and to work on the expectation of pay? Sure they will get pay when it ends, but for now they're working for free. I don't find it disingenuous at all to say they are working for free, because until they are paid back pay they are. Hell like you said it is going to take a long time to even sort all of that out once the Govt reopens, so again, they may have to wait months to be paid for work they would do now. Call it what you will, it's fucked up.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
This is as good a place as any to ask. Is there any point I️n doing my taxes now or should I️ hold off a bit longer

Oct 25, 2017
That's cold comfort to those who honestly can't afford to be without income right now, though.
I appreciate your input, but the bold and underlined is of no comfort for people being asked to come in and work when they have bills to pay, food to buy, and when a lot of them have to pay money for gas and transit just to come in to do a job. A job they aren't currently being paid for. It'd be one thing if there was a known end date, but how long do you expect people to go without pay and to work on the expectation of pay? Sure they will get pay when it ends, but for now they're working for free. I don't find it disingenuous at all to say they are working for free, because until they are paid back pay they are. Hell like you said it is going to take a long time to even sort all of that out once the Govt reopens, so again, they may have to wait months to be paid for work they would do now. Call it what you will, it's fucked up.

Trust me, I get it and it most certainly IS fucked up. These employees are my livelihood so I have more than a little skin in this game.

Let me be clear— I think asking them to work under these circumstances is abhorrent. That said, it's also why those that chose to work are working.

Many of the takes here are vastly over-simplified. I get it. Not everyone has the direct links that some of us do. But there's much more to the story and a simple explanation just won't do it justice.

Edit again for clarification: by "chose" I mean, responding to the call back in, not striking, whether or not they came in to claim hardship.

Last edited:

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
This is as good a place as any to ask. Is there any point I️n doing my taxes now or should I️ hold off a bit longer
Yes do them now. Get it filed. Hell if your taxes are pretty simple and are efiled and direct deposited it probably won't affect you.

Many of these workers are front line assistance. The IRS would never be able to process every return if someone looked at all of them manually. That is why certified tax preparers exist. It allows to IRS to say, okay, this was prepared by X Software/Company/CPA and there aren't any other complications and all forms are here, this can be electronically processed.

The issue is when there are questions, or the return has issues etc. Not everyone can file in such a simple manner. This is what is going to hinder returns without having people working.

The only thing I don't know is how they do their batch processing, it is probably an automated job process but someone may have to monitor it or kick it off. Barring someone turning off all the IRS servers and Data centers a lot of people will still get their electronically filed returns that have direct deposit.

Heck in the tax thread most of us have already had our returns accepted and approved. Again now just waiting on the processing of payments, which could require approval from a human, more than likely a higher level employee, and that could be a cause to delay.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
If every federal employee who wasn't getting paid decided not to show up for work on Monday, the shutdown would end in a hurry.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
"I'm getting reports whole teams are requesting out. One person told me, 'I'm the only one on my team here.' "

I can't wait to see this part in the movie. This whole situation is very serious but it still creates all these all too funny moments because of how absurd it is for this to be happening.

Reality won't bend to your will Republicans.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
They will likely win this, as the designation of the IRS being "essential" is VERY questionable.
The provisions in the law are for essential operations only.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Good. Backpay or not, very few people can afford to survive missing two paychecks without serious consequences. Trump and Turtle are wayyy out of touch with the strain that kind of existence puts on a person.

I support the workers. Income precarity is dangerous to one's mental health as well as their financial needs. Keep the hardship absences going until the government is funded.

Then again, I don't have much to lose in this scenario -- my returns are always taken for student loans. Most I've ever gotten back is $60, once. But I really feel for my low-income peers who are counting on tax return money to fix their cars, pay off medical bills, or fund their kids' daycare needs. This is going to hit them hard, and it won't be pretty.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
When the tax refunds start getting delayed this is when shit is going start hitting the fan. So many people budget stuff based on tax refunds.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Good for them. No pay should equal no work. If Trump wants to get those tax returns out, he can cave or do it himself.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
The IRS workers are the ones with the leverage to really put the knife in the shutdown, if refunds are delayed indefinitely. All the "well the shutdown doesn't really affect me personally" people will be up in arms.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Other way around I believe. The more exemptions the more you keep. Just see what you're overpaying and make sure to not over do it because they'll get you for that too.
Yeah, normally I'm always owed money back. Round $5-$8k. If I claim 0 for a little bit, like 3-5 months it should even out.