• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two of the Switch's biggest games, Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, are significant re-imaginings of those franchises. Both add aspects that were never possible before and revamp core gameplay elements. Why is now the right time to be rethinking those series?
Reggie Fils-Aimé: I think what you highlight with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey is certainly that the way those games have reimagined the intellectual property (IP) is different. I would say that Breath of the Wild is a dramatic departure from the conventions of a Zelda game. And the producer Mr. [Eiji] Aonuma said three years ago that was his vision. The fact that you could go anywhere [and] attack quests and shrines in any order you want, that was his vision.

With Odyssey, we have had other sandbox experiences for Mario in the past: Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. What's different here is the breadth of kingdoms, the Cappy mechanic, and so yes a departure, but maybe not as radical. But with the mentality of creating an experience that the player says, 'Wow, I've never done that before with a Mario game.' That's what we try to do. Whether it's with a Metroid experience or a Donkey Kong experience, we're constantly looking to push the envelope on the IP versus doing sequential small iterations with a particular franchise.

SOURCE

Why was Donkey Kong specifically brought up in a question about Mario and Zelda (for that matter, why Metroid?)? Is Nintendo working on a new Donkey Kong game? Could they be looking at a Zelda/Mario-esque reinvention?

EDIT: I typo'd the title ;__;

Mods pls fix, thx

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
For a second, I thought the title read "Dunkey" and was immediately taken back.

But then I realized it said "Donkey".

In all likelihood, it's probably Retro's game.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
DK64 but good? Kinda doubt it, but a 3D DK game seems possible. No clue what they'd do at all.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely see the next Donkey Kong being a 3D game. Not to say it would be similar to DK64, but I can see it taking some cues from Odyssey.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To me it just sounds like what they always say, they won't do a sequel unless they can do something different with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Well, Donkey Kong is a big seller (Releases on the failure called WiiU notwithstanding) so it makes sense for them to advertise it as one of their "hardcore" franchises.

A 3D open world DK like Super Mario Odyssey would be pretty cool.

Donkey Kong will be Nintendo's "Uncharted," a cinematic action game with platforming, vehicles, etc.

Man, StarTropics would be perfect for that (Except with even more crazy sh*t).

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
more fucking Donkey Kong?

Yes please! As long it's not from Retro.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Retro's 2D Donkey Kong never really did anything for me, but I'd be all for seeing their take on the 3D platformer.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
This doesn't read like he's hinting at anything to me. He just brought up 2 more big franchises as examples. I'm sure we will eventually get another DK and yeah it will probably be something new/radical as Nintendo seems to be getting in the groove with doing that. But if Retro is making it, it's gotta be 4-5 years out.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather DK stay in 2D. It hasn't been run into the ground yet like New Super Mario Bros., and Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers ever made.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Not really convinced this means anything, as Samus Returns wasn't really a Metroid reinvention at all but a much needed return to form after Other M, and the little information we know about Prime 4 is that it's trying to channel Prime 1.

It's interesting that he name dropped those two franchises though.

CD99

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
The open world Donkey Kong experience we've been waiting for. It's finally gonna be here, performing for you.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I think the fact that he named Donkey Kong specifically is encouraging considering I had expected it to become an orphaned franchise after Tropical Freeze underperformed, but I wouldn't read too much into what he's saying.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
IF this is the title Retro has been working on the meltdown would be real...

At least I'm going to be

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
I'd enjoy a 3D DK platformer done right. Some of the perspective shifts in DKC:TF's minecart levels make me want to see Retro craft some 3D environments. But I wouldn't mind one last 2D platformer to close out a modern DKC trilogy.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
You know, their discourses are always millimetrically, meticulously determined by PR. If he's mentioning, it's real. It's definitely not occasional. It was not Smash, It was not Pikmin, it was not just a mere example. It was there for a reason: to slowly bring back DK to the scene, before they announce anything. It was the same with Metroid.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't read like he's hinting at anything to me. He just brought up 2 more big franchises as examples. I'm sure we will eventually get another DK and yeah it will probably be something new/radical as Nintendo seems to be getting in the groove with doing that. But if Retro is making it, it's gotta be 4-5 years out.

I think that's why it does mean something, the fact that he named that particular IP along with 2 games that received very big, and revolutionary, games to their franchises, and a 3rd that they have announced. We know DK(C) has potential to be a very big IP, as we can see the DKCR, so bringing it, and possibly adding some completely new elements, or taking the franchise into 3D, to the Switch does make sense. I can easily see this as a big holiday title next year.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Please. So long as it's not too different from Country, I'll be there day one. (I liked 64, too, so something like that would be okay too)

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Love Donkey Kong. I still believe this game

918g-SKwwnL._SL300_.jpg

is one of the best games available on Wii U. What a great game and an awesome soundtrack.

Looking forward to whatever Nintendo is up to - I'm sure we will see Donkey Kong in some form in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Call me crazy, but right now I kind of don't want any kind of reinvention of DK, or a DK 3D platformer. I kind of just want another top notch 2D DKC from Retro, because holy shit Tropical Freeze was just so good. Basically, I'd like to see Retro's 2D Donkey Kong be its own trilogy. Then again, it seems like the third part of a trilogy is often inferior to the second.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
My avatar might tip you off, but I would really, really love a new DKC. Bring back the Kremlings and humor this time though!