• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I know I shouldn't play with fire because the first one wasn't great, but I'm down for another 3D Donkey Kong.

Let's go.

Return of the King baby.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
OH U KNOW it's gonna have waggle. And with HD rumble? You'll be feelin those beats man. Donkey_Konga_3.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seeing how both Zelda and Mario this year have gone and done something either brand new or rarely seen (15years since Mario Sunshine) I would love to see what they do with new ideas for DK. I don't really want them to do yet another 2.5d platformer.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
I want a Tropical Freeze sequel and a 3D open jungle game.

Do it Nintendo.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, regardless of what happens with the series, it makes me happy to see him mention it alongside the other three that have got or are getting titles out.

Some sort of reinvention is what DK needs, Tropical freeze and DKC2 are two GOAT worthy 2D platformers, time to see where else the franchise can be taken in 3D.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Make it a sequel to DK64 with it running on Odyssey's engine but give it a more action oriented focus to differentiate it. Also bring back all of the animal buddies!

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I want a deep lore dive with the next DK game. Where have DK Junior and Stanley the Bugman been all this time? Let's find out!

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
For me 2D characterises this series, though I could see how people might want something different from the next game.

I'd be happy enough for more of the same if the creativity is there.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be cool with another Retro Studios Donkey Kong game. The other two are fantastic.

However I'd love to see them try a new take on 3D Donkey Kong after Rare's failed attempt.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be open to a 3D Donkey Kong game. I haven't played DK64 in years, since it's release, but when I was younger I enjoyed it and didn't mind the back tracking and emphasis on item collecting.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yo if dude is talking about a game-changing donkey kong game along with metroid and the mario+zelda we already have...

0b9.gif

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's been almost 4 years since Tropical Freeze, and we haven't seen what Retro is working on. It makes sense, then, that this extended time could be explained by the next DK being a drastic reinvention or departure from the DKC formula.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
A 3D DK game with a seamless overworld sounds cool. Sort of like Odyssey without all of its abstract de-connectedness. I think it could be different enough based on DK and friends' movesets and general atmosphere, even if it was similar to Odyssey on a basic level.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Odd choice to make Donkey Kong their online co-op loot shooter, but if anyone can make it work, it's Retro.

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
I mean, a new Donkey Kong is likely, because it's obviously a well-known and established franchise - but I think Reggie is just giving examples of two big, classic Nintendo IPs that had new titles in the last few years (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars, Metroid Prime: Federation Force and Metroid: Samus Returns all came out since 2014), so that it's not weird to mention them casually (imagine if Reggie had said "Metroid and F-Zero"... it would be weird, right?) and saying Nintendo constantly tries to make something interesting with them.

Now, if we're talking about hypothetical revamps of the Donkey Kong franchise... I could see Nintendo trying to make it a traditional 90s platformer title, in 3D. That could be fun. We've already had five Donkey Kong Country titles and only one 3D Donkey Kong title, so I could see them giving it a try.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so we really are getting a new Donkey Kong game? And it's a 'reinvention'? 3D? Sign me up.

Also, the amount of love for DK64 in this thread <3333. "Brings a tear to my eye!"

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
šŸ˜
Donkey Kong Country: The Lost Bananas

The ultimate collectathon with banana shaped loot boxes, lets go

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Doesn't sound like he explicitly said that there's a new Donkey Kong coming.
There most likely will be a new one at one point for sure, that's pretty much a no-brainer.
But the way he worded it I understood it as "No matter the game, Nintendo's current approach is sort-of reinventing the games we have to lure in new customers and surprise long time fans as well."

Oct 25, 2017
Upstate NY
Donkey Kong Country, for me, is always going to be that 2D platforming experience. I wouldn't want an open world Donkey Kong Country. Only way they can change the old 2D formula is to possibly Metroidvania it.