• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Donkey Kong 128™ developed by Retro Studios, Holiday 2018.

Running on SMO engine, tons of QOL improvements, less collectathony, more action/combat focused. I feel like I have said this in 3 or 4 different threads recently, heh.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a complete non-statement to me.

I really don't want Retro to be doing another DK. :|

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
The DKC trilogy for the snes are my favorite games of all time, and DK64 is... Well, it's DK64.

So idk. If the 3D game doesn't hurt the 2D franchise, I guess it's fine.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Running on SMO engine, tons of QOL improvements, less collectathony, more action/combat focused. I feel like I have said this in 3 or 4 different threads recently, heh.
doubt it. doesn't line up with how long their game has been in production or their recent hirings.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why would this need to be on Odyssey's engine?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for Tropical Freeze but I'd be more than happy to see Donkey Kong and friends try something new, especially at the hands of Retro. They really showed some impressive creativity with TF and I'd like to see what they could do for the franchise when given even more freedom. I'd love for them to do right by DK in the 3D space, giving us the game I think most of us hoped DK64 would be -- Mario 64 but with apes.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
if retro is making a 3D mario and it's as ambitious as odyssey, than I wouldn't even be mad

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
doubt it. doesn't line up with how long their game has been in production or their recent hirings.
Yes I also doubt this is actually happening. But it would be awesome.

Why would this need to be on Odyssey's engine?
I assume that having access to an engine on which an incredibly tight, polished, gorgeous and varied 3D platformer was built would be attractive to a studio developing DK128. But I admit that I know almost nothing about game engines or how they work.

EDIT: added "gorgeous"

Last edited:

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The open world Donkey Kong experience we've been waiting for. It's finally gonna be here, performing for you.

heh.

But seriously folks, let's not read too far into this, shall we? I think Nintendo would say this even if it were the difference between DKC:R and DKC:TF ("we added new layers of depth!") Love these games but let's just wait to see the proof!

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, Reggie says a lot of things. Sure once in a while he teases something and it actually materializes (Metroid) but this just sounded like an example.

That being said, Retro's totally working on a Donkey Kong game.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A half-rythym game, half management sim about the DK crew.

They're finally here. Performing for you.

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for Tropical Freeze but I'd be more than happy to see Donkey Kong and friends try something new, especially at the hands of Retro. They really showed some impressive creativity with TF and I'd like to see what they could do for the franchise when given even more freedom. I'd love for them to do right by DK in the 3D space, giving us the game I think most of us hoped DK64 would be -- Mario 64 but with apes.

I'd have no problems if it turned out to be Tropical Freeze Deluxe, just from the viewpoint that I never picked up a Wii U to play it originally.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I love 2D DK so I hope they keep on doing them... They can still update the presentation for something more like old DKC, add tons of animal buddies and let you play as more Kongs to make a sequel feel more different than TF was from Returns.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
This tease is interesting if only for a little thing you can unlock in the Super Mario Odyssey Post Game...

You can unlock and buy a Diddy Kong costume for Mario. Donkey kong references for the original arcade game are all over the place but nothing even close to a DK costume but a Diddy one?

Perhaps this is a tease from Nintendo that maybe Diddy will be helming his own game once again?

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I swear to god if Retro is making a 3D Donkey Kong game I will go bananas.

And the moment I hear see someone complaining about Retro doing DK again, I will also go bananas. Not in a good way.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this is what Retro is working on I'll cry. Such a tremendous waste of talent to be stuck working on Donkey Kong. Although if they make their own DK64 where its a huge platformer like Mario Oddessy or Breath of the Wild at least their talent is being utilized and I can be excited.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this is what Retro is working on I'll cry. Such a tremendous waste of talent to be stuck working on Donkey Kong. Although if they make their own DK64 where its a huge platformer like Mario Oddessy or Breath of the Wild at least their talent is being utilized and I can be excited.

Here's my hot take, There's nothing wrong with Donkey Kong and I never understood why it's a "waste".

If it's a 3D platformer I will go insane with excitement.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume that having access to an engine on which an incredibly tight, polished, and varied 3D platformer was built would be attractive to a studio developing DK128. But I admit that I know almost nothing about game engines or how they work.
the problem is largely support. and even larger than that, language support. an engine made for japanese devs with no intention of sharing isnt the best set of tools to send overseas (just look at early Unreal Engine 3). and whatever they scripted of Mario Odyssey, I doubt they'd so readily be reused for a Donkey Kong game. not without making the game feel like a Mario Odyssey expansion pack. this hypothetical game is probably too valuable to not have its own identity

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I really want a Tropical Freeze or DKC 1-5 collection on Switch, but a radically different direction would be nice as well. The Donkey Kong IP seems ripe for use in so many genres. I mean, they've already done 2D and 3D platformers, two different rhythm games, two different racing games, multiple puzzle games, and even a math-based edutainment game. How about an Island-sim type game? It could be like Tropico, but with a literal Banana Republic. Or maybe a DMC style character action game, to really let us witness the true glory of the King of Swing taking on hordes of enemies. Hell, a turn based RPG featuring the entire DK crew could really help to flesh out the Donkey Kong mythos in a way we've never been able to get into before. The possibilities are endless.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017

As if donkey kong games are nothing serious huh? Why would it be a waste to be on donkey kong?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i actually would love to see them take another crack at 3d. but make it more like sm3dw and less like sm64 so it retains the 2d sensibilities of the series better.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's my hot take, There's nothing wrong with Donkey Kong and I never understood why it's a "waste".

If it's a 3D platformer I will go insane with excitement.
To me I see them working on things on par with Breath of the Wild and Mario Oddessy. But instead Nintendo have them work on these other titles and it's like... Really? These guys made Metroid Prime 1-3 and you want them working on Donkey Kong Country.

If they work on a Donkey Kong 64 in the same scope of Oddessy I'll eat my words because at least their talent is being utilized. But I want to see some very ambitious titles coming from them because I KNOW they can produce that top quality. If that makes sense?

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I would love a true follow up & sequel to DK64, I don't see how it could be a much different game than Odyssey.

I mean Odyssey is the perfect 3D platformer.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I could see the next donkey kong being 3d. 64 was good despite what people say.

Or it could be DK ACT Zero
hqdefault.jpg

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To me I see them working on things on par with Breath of the Wild and Mario Oddessy. But instead Nintendo have them work on these other titles and it's like... Really? These guys made Metroid Prime 1-3 and you want them working on Donkey Kong Country.

If they work on a Donkey Kong 64 in the same scope of Oddessy I'll eat my words because at least their talent is being utilized. But I want to see some very ambitious titles coming from them because I KNOW they can produce that top quality. If that makes sense?

Yeah, I get what where you're coming. Personally, if it's another 2D Donkey Kong I'll be a bit underwhelmed since we've had two from them already. 3D Donkey Kong is something I feel that has a lot of potential, and it would wipe the taste of DK64 out of our mouths.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
DKC is the only Nintendo franchise with zero missteps and I would welcome either a reinvention or more of Tropical Freeze. Retro is a great fit for DK.

But get Platinum to basically reskin Nier: Automata with Star Fox characters for Switch ASAP

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Like Assassin's Creed, but with a less cumbersome and at the same time more dynamic environment navigation system, including, naturally, swinging from vine to vine as fast as Sonic runs on the ground.

Also in a jungle, of course.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if it's actually Retro doing DK again, it'll disappoint many people and probably repeat the DK:TF situation once again...

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
DK Sea.

Donkey Kong's a fuckin' mermaid now.

Okay I'm done I've gone too far.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Finally! Kong of Duty: Banana Warfare is being made!

Whatever the game is, after Tropical Freeze, I'm all in if it's Retro doing it.

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, if it's another 2D Donkey Kong I'll be a bit underwhelmed since we've had two from them already. 3D Donkey Kong is something I feel that has a lot of potential, and it would wipe the taste of DK64 out of our mouths.

A 3D game where 2D levels are blended in Odyssey style could work - striking a middle ground where you get the best of both worlds.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever happens, I don't think Donkey Kong is going anywhere. Nintendo has Donkey Kong Country in their theme park plans, including a Minecart rollercoaster. I don't think they'd be doing this if the series was going dormant again.

M2bPoKR.jpg