• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the series growing up and I'd love for a new one to recapture it in a manner similar to how Odyssey spurred me to purchase a Nintendo console in decades!

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Reggie hinted something along those lines. It will most likely be Retro's next project.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least we should be getting a Tropical Freeze port. Donkey Kong games always get ported.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A 3D Odyssey-like Donkey Kong with Uncharted levels amount of spectacles happening everywhere would be pretty awesome, I'll admit.

Deleted member 21693

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The smarter way to go about it would be to re-release Tropical Freeze and see what the demand for DK is nowadays.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling Retro is working on a new IP, but i'm sure we'll see something Donkey Kong this generation. Perhaps not Country related though.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'd love to see the Mario team tackle a 3D Donkey Kong game. I feel like they were pretty Donkey Kong friendly in Odyssey , so I wouldnt be surprised if it was in their pipeline.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
We'll probably see DK on Switch. I believe it's going to be Nintendo's greatest console and not having DK on it would be a shame!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
On one hand I'm really hoping to see a new IP from Retro, on the other hand Tropical Frezze was so AMAZING that i would be happy with another Retro DK....

OP
OP
Anubis

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see the Mario team tackle a 3D Donkey Kong game. I feel like they were pretty Donkey Kong friendly in Odyssey , so I wouldnt be surprised if it was in their pipeline.
Yeah I'd say this is the best outcome for me but I think they will just work on an Odyssey sequel.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I fuckin hope so man. Tropical Freeze is a very, very special game. Retro really understands what people like about DKC, and built a fantastic platformer around those core ideas. The fact that there's a time trial mode in both games is brilliant. The way Tropical Freeze's levels are often so in beat with the soundtrack shows just how well Retro understood how important David Wise's music is to the DKC experience. It was like an over the top cinematic experience in the form of a tough as nails 2D platformer. I could go on forever.

For some reason, in the back of my mind, I've expected Retro's DKCs to be a new trilogy and would love to see that come to fruition. I'd be totally into Kremlings making a return, but after the Snowmads I'd also be interested in seeing what original ideas Retro has.

On a side note, they really should do a DKCR2Pack on the Switch. Put Returns and TF on a cart, give Returns the new control schemes from TF and include the extra special worlds from the 3DS release. I'd pay full price for that lol

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
After how amazing Nintendo is making all their games lately I am more than ready for a Donkey Kong game to be amazing.

Basically Tropical Freeze in 3D mixed with Odyssey and it'll be just ridiculous.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol. Another one of these threads. Is bloodborne 2 being made? Is donkey Kong being made? What's next?

Who knows?!

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I feel like we're still getting a Donkey Kong Country Trilogy (Wii, Wii U, Switch) but I don't know if Retro is going to do it. It's quite possible they are and just waiting for the right time to announce it before showing off footage of Metroid Prime 4 from whoever is making that game.

Oct 26, 2017
DK's not missed ANY system yet, though his 3DS game was just a port, but he still has a perfect attendance record. :)

The real question is... WHAT will it be?

I just want essentially a Donkey Kong Odyssey, either by EPD Tokyo (the same team), or by Playtonic (with Sumo) using Unreal Engine 4 (NOT Unity!).

DK needs his 3D come back. Get Retro off the series (never liked their take) and get Retro on something original or just anything else. Monster's not around anymore to make Diddy Kong Racing 2, but hey Playtonic and Sumo literally can do that anyway.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope not, at least I hope Retro isn't doing it. Let Retro do something worth their talent :P

They already made 2 games back to back, and there's already 2 2D platformer coming this year at the least. The Donkey Kong franchise is in no need of another game anytime soon

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
The crazy thing about a TF port is the size of the game. Its digital size is over 20 GB for Wii U. Nintendo hasn't made a Switch game over 16 GB yet including Xenoblade 2.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah I'd say this is the best outcome for me but I think they will just work on an Odyssey sequel.
I could see both. Odyssey had a bit of that Galaxy 1 feel, so a sequel would be fantastic. I wonder if it's possible that the main guys work on DK, while the bulk of the team creates Odyssey 2 (then switch to DK after)? I would like that. IIRC, a lot of Galaxy 2's ideas were crafted by normal members, given a level editor they created. Gives some great time for 3D DK to cook, as well.

One can dream.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I hope so. A port of TF would be great too. #FinishTheTrilogy, Retro. Though I'm guessing Retro are working on something else as well.

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to see Retro make a new IP or tackle another Nintendo franchise.

A Tropical Freeze port would be nice, but another developer could handle that.

Oct 26, 2017
The only two devs that should ever touch a 2D DK is Fortune Fish and Playtonic. FF being formed by the Stamper brothers and it REALLY shows with this:

Finally giving us the TRUE Donkey Kong Country 4!

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm on the team that wouldn't mind a third Retro DK. Tropical Freeze has become one of my favorite platformers. I'm sure people would go crazy if this turned out to actually be the case, but I would love it. However I don't think they're doing DK. It's been so long since we've heard something. They either got another franchise to work on, or a new IP altogether.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Y'know, I'm fine with a 3D DK game being explored again, but I really do want another 2D momentum based Country game from Retro. Another set of levels on the same level of quality as Tropical Freeze with David Wise on board again would be what's up.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want one more sidescroller from Retro, as long as David Wise is on soundtrack duty again. Tropical freeze is maybe my favorite 2d platformer ever, and I'd really like a final country send off with the Kremlings back

Deleted member 20296

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ill just continue to secretly hope that someone can pull of a mario 64 style 3d reinvention of the franchise.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hopefully another 2D platformer but not do damn hard, Tropical Freeze was too much of a difficulty for me to enjoy, please don't use the "get gud" defense

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Hope Tropical Freeze is ported so more people will buy it. I have it on Wii U so I'm not interested personally.

I'd definitely be interested in playing a new 2D DKC, but if that's what Retro have been making these past 5 years I'll be very disappointed. If I'm guessing, they are working on something original.

Most of all I'm hoping the next DK will be a 3D adventure. And I hated DK64. I wonder what that could be like if it was developed by the 3D Mario team.

Status
Not open for further replies.