• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I believe they should score art both on its impact and it's quality and not ignore either.
In the examples in my OP, both pass over performances, editing , score, cinematography and direction as somehow irrelevant to the overall score and judge it Primarily on the impact they view it as

for example a3/10 score is wrong for a movie with supposed great performances and make of music and image itself because reviewer disliked the impact. In the same vein a score of 8/10 is ridiculous if the performances are ok and movie is very forgettable But it scored 8 because of its impact they think it would / could have

Who cares? You don't have to read those reviews if you don't want to.

You don't have to like every review or reviewer.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Is it alright for a professional to analyze and critique a movie for its themes and overall message? Yeah its actually kind of the whole point of the profession. Film reviewers aren't part of the pr firms for the movie They should breakdown and explore the themes and deeper subtext of a film and give there opinion on the quality of the film as a whole not just on the surface level of stuff like plot and quality of acting. People use their world view and experiences to decide what they like and what they don't all the time so why shouldn't reviewers of any profession do the same.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe they should score art both on its impact and it's quality and not ignore either.
In the examples in my OP, both pass over performances, editing , score, cinematography and direction as somehow irrelevant to the overall score and judge it Primarily on the impact they view it as

for example a3/10 score is wrong for a movie with supposed great performances and make of music and image itself because reviewer disliked the impact. In the same vein a score of 8/10 is ridiculous if the performances are ok and movie is very forgettable But it scored 8 because of its impact they think it would / could have

A movie can be good or bad and still have an impact in some way. There is no simple check list to review when it comes to media. For example, a music album can be wonderfully produced and great musicianship while being steeped in hate full lyrics.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Because a movie could be regarding as groundbreaking in terms of the cinematic elements but be a vile piece of propaganda at the same time (for very extreme examples see Birth of a Nation and Triumph des Willens)

Which, it ought be pointed out, was criticized by reviewers for its potential impact on society and fears that I may revive the Klan. Which, well, ended up happening.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which, it ought be pointed out, was criticized by reviewers for its potential impact on society and fears that I may revive the Klan. Which, well, ended up happening.
Yeah, nothing wrong with voicing opinions about impact. But the question was whether that specifically is a review of the movie or more an opinion of the presumed societal impact of the movie.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
oh god the OP is misrepresenting these reviews HARD and it's grossing me out.

Just an example :

No review of the movie itself . Just hammering against its commentary

From the review:

A few words about the acting:
If you live to see Joaquin Phoenix go to performing extremes like nobody's business, this movie really is the apotheosis of that.
A few words about the writing and tone of the film
The violence in this movie means to shock, and it does. Fleck's alienation in the early scenes evokes Travis Bickle's, but this movie is too chicken-livered to give Fleck Bickle's racism, although it depicts him mostly getting hassled by people of color in the first third.
A few words about the look of the film
But once the movie starts lifting shots from "A Clockwork Orange" (and yes, Phillips and company got Warners to let them use the Saul Bass studio logo for the opening credits, in white on red, yet) you know its priorities are less in entertainment than in generating self-importance.

This is a perfectly acceptable review of a film. It tells you what it looks like, what it feels like and how its main star performs (as well as nods to several key costars). To "No review of the movie itself," is simply dishonest

A quick paragraph from the review about tone, writing and the look of the film
The movie is set in a Gotham City that's a lazy approximation of gritty 1970s-era New York, complete with garbage strikes and "super-rats" overrunning the city. On the job in clown costume, Arthur gets beaten up by a mob of nasty punks — and then almost gets fired because they stole and broke the "going out of business sign" he was twirling for a client.
A quick blurb about the screenplay
Joker — which was written by Phillips and Scott Silver — doesn't have a plot; it's more like a bunch of reaction GIFs strung together.
Oh hey look they even discuss costume design
Dressed up for his big TV moment in a turquoise paisley shirt, marigold vest and dapper cranberry suit (admittedly a marvelous feat of costume design), Arthur struts down an outdoor stairway like a rock'n'roll hero. It's the most energizing moment in the movie, but what is it winding us up for?

Actual verdict: This movie is a messy exploitative mess and a lot rides on your existing connection to the DC Comic universe, regardless of how this was sold as a standalone R Rated Actathon by Joaquin Phoenix. It's almost as if the OP read only up to the parts that made them knee-jerk and start an Era thread.

But hey maybe they were right about the wrap's review:

Asks the reader to ignore this is joker movie and asks readers to consider that Phoenix performance doesn't matter but viewers should consider that its impact on society might be bad

When Martin Scorsese directed "Taxi Driver" in 1976 and "The King of Comedy" in 1982, he was commenting directly on the contemporary world and on the damaged individuals trying to survive in it. When director Todd Phillips chose to set "Joker" in a 1981 that very much resembles those films (it's Gotham City as "Fun City") and with a character that seems to be an amalgam of Robert De Niro's Travis Bickle and Rupert Pupkin from those two classics, he seems to be doing so because he's such a Scorsese fan.
Hm! an immediate contextualization of a contemporary film in the canon of 'portrait of a deranged mind' seems like exactly what a professional reviewer does, all the time! And they don't lead with 'ignore that this is a joker movie' whatever that means.

Are professional reviewers supposed to score primarily on social commentary ?
Yes. I 100% expect most to when it comes to dark subject matters like mental illness and its connection to mass violence. Maybe it's because I live in 2019 where such topics come up at least 3 times a week in national news and this movie seems to have something to say about all of that; and I should actually celebrate critics who aren't immune to the political imprint left behind by art, instead of wringing my hands about the unstated standards of what qualifies a 'good, professional' reviewer.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Lets hope that reflects the reviewers view on its cinematic qualities and not approval of its racist message.

most reviewers say the message sucks, most scored it on the cinematic level
oh god the OP is misrepresenting these reviews HARD and it's grossing me out.

From the review:

A few words about the acting:

A few words about the writing and tone of the film

A few words about the look of the film

This is a perfectly acceptable review of a film. It tells you what it looks like, what it feels like and how its main star performs (as well as nods to several key costars). To "No review of the movie itself," is simply dishonest

A quick paragraph from the review about tone, writing and the look of the film

A quick blurb about the screenplay

Oh hey look they even discuss costume design

Actual verdict: This movie is a messy exploitative mess and a lot rides on your existing connection to the DC Comic universe, regardless of how this was sold as a standalone R Rated Actathon by Joaquin Phoenix. It's almost as if the OP read only up to the parts that made them knee-jerk and start an Era thread.

But hey maybe they were right about the wrap's review:

Hm! an immediate contextualization of a contemporary film in the canon of 'portrait of a deranged mind' seems like exactly what a professional reviewer does, all the time! And they don't lead with 'ignore that this is a joker movie' whatever that means.

Yes. I 100% expect most to when it comes to dark subject matters like mental illness and its connection to mass violence. Maybe it's because I live in 2019 where such topics come up at least 3 times a week in national news and this movie seems to have something to say about all of that; and I should actually celebrate critics who aren't immune to the political imprint left behind by art, instead of wringing my hands about the unstated standards of what qualifies a 'good, professional' reviewer.

And yet thanks for proving the point the art quality was not part of the score in their verdict but the messaging that they perceived was. That is the entire point.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017

And yet thanks for proving the point the art quality was not part of the score in their verdict but the messaging that they perceived was. That is the entire point.

It's a film. It has artistic merit. Message and themes are a key part of art. A review is based on perception from experiencing a work of art. What don't you understand?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Every single review mentions whether or not the reviewer thought the movie looked good, or that the acting was good, or that the supporting cast lent itself well to a good/bad screenplay.

That you didn't grasp those and jumped immediately to 'they didn't talk about the quality of the movie' says more about you than the 3 reviewers in question. You've just got a giant chip on your shoulder because they brought in the tone and impact of the film in dark, violent times that their audiences actually inhabit in real life and whether or not a film named "Joker" gets away from being compared to anything else in the DCEU (which it would have done it if was titled "Sad Man Has Bad Week" and set it in Chicago, perhaps).

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Scores out of 10, especially for art, are so meaningless as to be absurd.

Hell I don't even like standardized testing in our education system and thinking reviewers should stick to some universal metric to numerically score a film is just so bizarre.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

The "art quality" does not boil down to "this is a nice shot, so therefore movie is good."

That is not critique. That is a report card. "You get an A in your acting class." Artistic merit is informed by the film's own thesis, what it explores and how it is contextualized by the culture that created it.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
There are no standards to what a review should be about anyway. I like how this leads to a lot of different opinions about things and I like talking and hearing about it. But since everyone is reviewing stuff differently, scores are completely meaningless and yes that includes rotten tomatoes.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
Some of the best films are the worst looking and vice versa. I recently watched It: Chapter Two and it was shot really well, had some great acting, but it made me feel nothing. Art isn't measured on technical aspects alone, and it never should be.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Every single review mentions whether or not the reviewer thought the movie looked good, or that the acting was good, or that the supporting cast lent itself well to a good/bad screenplay.

That you didn't grasp those and jumped immediately to 'they didn't talk about the quality of the movie' says more about you than the 3 reviewers in question. You've just got a giant chip on your shoulder because they brought in the tone and impact of the film in dark, violent times that their audiences actually inhabit in real life and whether or not a film named "Joker" gets away from being compared to anything else in the DCEU (which it would have done it if was titled "Sad Man Has Bad Week" and set it in Chicago, perhaps).

this is the first reviewers chosen qoute as their verdict in RT

As social commentary, "Joker" is pernicious garbage. But besides the wacky pleasures of Phoenix's performance, it also displays some major movie studio core competencies, in a not dissimilar way to what "A Star Is Born" presented last year.

Second review verdict chosen by the reviewer on RT

Director Todd Phillips — who made frat-boy comedies like Road Trip and Old School before graduating to dude-bro comedies like The Hangover movies — bears at least some of the blame, and the aggressive and possibly irresponsible idiocy of Joker overall is his alone to answer for. Phillips may want us to think he's giving us a movie all about the emptiness of our culture, but really, he's just offering a prime example of it.

Third review verdict chosen by the reviewer on Rt. Calls Phoenix performance "fake" to match the movie tone

If you strip the Joker and his nearly 80-year history as a cultural icon out of this film, as well as all the 1970s movie homages, there's not a whole lot left except for Joaquin Phoenix's performance, and it's the kind of turn that's destined to be divisive. If you like an actor who disappears into a role and effects what appears to be organic human behavior on the screen, this is not your jam. Phoenix puts the "perform" in "performance"; he's never not twitching or laughing (it's part of Arthur's psychiatric condition) or hyperventilating or dancing. Some will love it and some will look askance, but he's definitely doing the kind of work that fits the tone of the film.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Just by being one, it performs the function of the other, intentional or not.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017

Also those reviews didn't even include a score for fun factor how am I supposed to know if it's good if there isn't a picture of a cartoon guy with his head exploding

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you guys are reviewing reviewers again. i thought this was a gaming side thing.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK

Third review verdict chosen by the reviewer on Rt. Calls Phoenix performance "fake" to match the movie tone

It comes across as though you just want to defend this film you haven't seen yet. Maybe wait for it to come out? They could all be right on the money.

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It comes across as though you just want to defend this film you haven't seen yet. Maybe wait for it to come out? They could all be right on the money.

my opinion when I do see it will be happening when I do see it but this is about those trying to sell me the see it and Not see it message. this would also be on a case with a movie with a terribly made movie but reviewed high because of its impact

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Film reviewers have been doing this forever but now that its about a comic book movie its #EthicsinFilmCriticism lol.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

Yes this is RT summarizing 3 negative reviews. It happens. What's the problem and what does this have to do with your assessment on whether or not these reviewers are 'good and professional?'

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Critics are human and have their biases. They give reviews (good and bad) based on things other than the quality of the movie. To me that stuff should only be a small part of the review.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its totally fine and the whole damn point, accepting these biases and engaing in introspection is why people read those rather than just giving it five starts and bailing out.
Only gamers want a consumer product review of the media they consume, and I hate how this group's logic has translated to shit rottentomatoes.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the context in which a work of art exists is part of being a critic, yes.

Sometimes I wish folks would just cut to the chase and say "I wish critics would first and foremost consider the impact on my precious Tomatometer/Metascore that I use to validate my preconceptions." It'd be easier that way.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Like, if you want your movie to be taken seriously, it's going to be reviewed from different angles. Not just a bullet point list, Jesus lol

May 24, 2019
It should be about what the movie made the reviewer feel while watching. How it juts against societal and historical context can sure contribute.

edit: Though this is more about a reviewer factoring in how they perceive others will be affected by the movie, right? I'd rather just hear about their personal experience.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
the message and implication of a movie are intrinsic to its quality.

if you like such a movie anyways then you clearly find some value in what it's saying, or else don't think critically about all aspects of the movie.

I don't have an opinion on joker because i have not seen it or read any exhaustive summaries, so don't take anything I just said as a judgement of people who like the movie.

however, the premise of this thread is ridiculous.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Whelp... Seems like the only acceptable reviews will be no text, Thumbs up or Thumbs down.

Here is mine of this thread :

source.gif

Last edited:

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It's been almost fifty years since Pauline Kael called Straw Dogs a "fascist work of art" so... yeah, that's well within the purview of serious criticism.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
If that reviewer isn't also a sociologist, I couldn't care less what they think a films impact on society will be.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018

But the actual reviews absolutely do discuss the "film itself" in the way you want them to. You didn't make a claim about RT quotes, you made a claim about the review itself, and that claim is not supported at all by the reviews you posted.

First, I generally disagree with your thesis that primarily discussing a film based on it's cultural impact/relevance shouldn't count as a review. Second, you're really reaching to discredit these particular reviews. Third, your synopsis of, say, the Time review is just wildly inaccurate to the point where I question whether you actually read the review. Hell, even in the little snippet you posted it says "the movie doesn't have a plot", how is that possibly not a critique of the film itself?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It depends. You can tell with the Joker film that even critics made up their minds before watching it. This type of bias isn't neutral within critics and believers of certain things can be stubborn enough to say X isn't good because of those predetermined beliefs. So instead of critics being a lense into a perpective, they sort of become arbiters of right and wrong, and I think when that decision making spills into their work then they lose value as a critic.