• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Just review the fucking movie, I don't care about anything else they'd like to discuss that has nothing to do with the movie itself.

It's like giving shooter games a bad review because they may or may not make somebody get into guns.

I recommend sticking to IGN and staying away from real film criticism.

Nov 1, 2017
I think this is how OP wants movie reviews to work:

-Cinematography: Great
-Costumes: Great
-Direction: Great
-Performances: Great
-Original score: Great
-Art direction: Great
-Sound design: Great
-Editing: Great
-Screenplay/Story: Absolute dogshit
-Special Effects: Great

Final Score: 9/10

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it's that simple. Film is many different things to many different people. People will see Joker because they want to see the performance. Some people want to see it because it seems like it may have something to say. Some people just go to eat some popcorn and be entertained by flashing images for two hours.

I'm not a general audience kind of guy. I gravitate towards things that make use of themes, and messages, or try to make a statement on something, or offer a look into a part of the world, or type of person I'm not familiar with, or challenge my preconceptions.

If a film is made to be a commentary on society or any other subject, then you can judge it based on the strength of its commentary, or whether or not it has anything meaningful or valid to say about said subject. But if somebody wasn't looking for stuff like that and they had a different experience and take on a given piece of art, then that's fine too. But I do feel like since film is comprised of so many parts, you should offer more than just a single critique. It can't be all about the commentary, or all about the performance. The script has to come into play as well. The writing is the most important thing.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Agreed. The only kind of art that interests me is the kind that shakes things up and challenges the status quo. But not for its own sake or socially-irresponsible reasons. Art should broaden our horizons, not reinforce unevolved biases or impulses.
Yeah and that's a fair point. Personally for me, I just don't inhabit the view that art has to be socially responsible to be good. It just needs to effectively convey a feeling or some sort of expression.

That being said, there are many ways tricky media can accidentally screw up the ideas it's trying to convey, but I also see people that attempt to go for the least charitable interpretation.

I've found it laughable that some critics have said American Psycho glorifies yuppy culture and serial killers. Like the only way you could come to that conclusion is if you rob the context of the ending and the specific portrayals of it all.

The ending clearly calls yuppy culture out for what it is, pathetic and hollow. Patrick Bateman is a pathetic man, who despite his psychotic rage for attention and power is ignored and invalidated. He is left entirely impotent.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what a ridiculous concept for a thread. the review had plenty to say about the quality of the movie. people just feel this way about reviews that disagree with them. it's why reviewers are hesitant to write about movies like this. it provokes all sorts of silly reactions that other negative reviews just don't.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Is it garbage though? Please explain with your words. Just because some shitbags can coopt the imagery? It's a story about a bad guy that's trying come up with a compelling premise for why he becomes what he becomes. It's gotta be sympathetic enough as to not revolve into simple moralistic "he does evil because he's a bad guy!". It doesn't work that way.
I haven't seen the movie yet but the consensus critique regarding the commentary has been that it's heavy-handed, simplistic, derivative rather than reflective, like the movie is simply copying the text of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy without grasping the subtext of what those movies were commenting on. That the commentary is carried by Phoenix's performance but feels thematically hollow within the context of the overall film

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Critics are welcome to write anything they want in whatever way they want just how I'm not going to score an old movie higher because it did cool tech stuff at the time or what culture and events surrounded it when it was made which made it significant.

We can enjoy movies as just movies if we want and enjoy and analyze them more if you're into that. I don't think there's a wrong way. It's a personal fucking opinion.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I decided to give OP a chance read the Time piece (heh). It discusses plot, the jokes, Joaquin's performance, and the way the film deploys (or squanders) Zazie Beetz. The review very much engages with the elements of the movie.

OP is a clown.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just review the fucking movie, I don't care about anything else they'd like to discuss that has nothing to do with the movie itself.

It's like giving shooter games a bad review because they may or may not make somebody get into guns.

Your analogy doesn't work. Video games are not exempt from cultural criticism. There has literally been criticism of shooter games' depiction of war and violence. Here's an example.
Two Iraq War Veterans Share their thoughts on CoD Modern Warfare Depiction of Realism

Get over the whole 'so and so will inspire this'. That's not what the theses of the reviews in the OP are.

I think people are getting so defensive over 'the Joker movie will inspire incels' and are missing the forest for the trees.

Isolating culture and context from film criticism is why people don't understand why Black Panther was a hit. The black representation and Afrofuturism, in the context of Hollywood whitewashing and American racism, matters, and it mattered to a lot of reviewers.

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason people complain about reviews that don't fit their idea of what a review is are people who are upset about the impact that said reviews have on an aggregate review score.

Art criticism isn't a points game.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviews are relevant if they inspire you to recontextualize your understanding of the subject. You don't have to agree or disagree with them to engage with them.
I was too vague. I meant that whenever this discussion comes up, it's usually not because someone has a genuine complaint with the way the reviews are written, but because they disagree with the reviews.

Most "are reviews relevant?" complaints are actually "I disagree with these, so they're obviously doing it wrong."

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
People should write whatever they want to write. I don't think "reviews" are a good format for cultural critique because that's a nuanced subject and a lot of these reviews are so short that they barely scratch the surface of what they want to talk about. Long-form critique is way better at these things.

I think it's important to point out that review != all forms of critique.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was too vague. I meant that whenever this discussion comes up, it's usually not because someone has a genuine complaint with the way the reviews are written, but because they disagree with the reviews.

Most "are reviews relevant?" complaints are actually "I disagree with these, so they're obviously doing it wrong."

Ah, gotcha. Agreed.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
If a movie glamorized evil people, you'd want to mention that it's morally bankrupt.
You think that's what Ebert did for goodfellas or godfather? Made sure you knew that this morals of the plot were bad before talking about the movie itself, if ever?
We are almost in full on hyperbolositic throw baby out with bathwater mode anymore. Anything even slightly offensive is considered bannable. Get ready for book burnings, everyone.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
You think that's what Ebert did for goodfellas or godfather? Made sure you knew that this morals of the plot were bad before talking about the movie itself, if ever?
We are almost in full on hyperbolositic throw baby out with bathwater mode anymore. Anything even slightly offensive is considered bannable. Get ready for book burnings, everyone.
Are you actually serious. Godfella's itself literally spells out that its morals are bad to you. As in it literally says it out loud. You don't even need a review for it.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I haven't seen the movie yet but the consensus critique regarding the commentary has been that it's heavy-handed, simplistic, derivative rather than reflective, like the movie is simply copying the text of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy without grasping the subtext of what those movies were commenting on. That the commentary is carried by Phoenix's performance but feels thematically hollow within the context of the overall film
Interesting, see, now I don't have a problem with this sort of criticism. If it fell short of having meaningful commentary then so be it, the only thing that really bothers me is when a reviewer or a thinkpiece writer makes the leap that a piece of media is dangerous and morally repugnant based on subtext that most people wouldn't interpret or are able to see the film as a whole and then therefore must be condemned.

I think media can be problematic and valuable still.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Because a movie could be regarding as groundbreaking in terms of the cinematic elements but be a vile piece of propaganda at the same time (for very extreme examples see Birth of a Nation and Triumph des Willens)

Those movies only broke ground in terms of budget, plenty of films had already done what those films "pioneered," see Brows Held High's vid on Birth of a Nation and Folding Idea's vid on Triumph Des Willens for context on both (at work or would link vids)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Are you actually serious. Godfella's itself literally spells out that its morals are bad to you. As in it literally says it out loud. You don't even need a review for it.
And yet, the protagonist, gets away in the end, almost laughing about what he got away with. Sure, it totally spells it out for you. Do bad shit, then flip before it can catch up to you and enjoy maximum payoff. Sounds like it totally chastises that behavior...

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

The Godfather is a movie that examines crime, but I wouldn't say it glamorizes it. There's a difference between offering a character's worldview, to pull you in and create identification, and actually endorsing actions and choices made in the story.

In my opinion it's also okay to sometimes enjoy dark or amoral content if you have mature emotional faculties and can at some point contextualize and examine what you're watching. That's obviously part of the appeal of Breaking Bad, but the show had a bigger project in mind.

I haven't seen the Joker, so I can't really comment on what side of the line it falls. But the ethics of a piece of entertainment is a totally valid dimension for a reviewer to comment on.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The Godfather is a movie that examines crime, but I wouldn't say it glamorizes it. There's a difference between offering a character's worldview, to pull you in and create identification, and actually endorsing actions and choices made in the story.

In my opinion it's also okay to sometimes enjoy dark or amoral content if you have mature emotional faculties and can at some point contextualize and examine what you're watching. That's obviously part of the appeal of Breaking Bad, but the show had a bigger project in mind.

I haven't seen the Joker, so I can't really comment on what side of the line it falls. But the ethics of a piece of entertainment is a totally valid dimension for a reviewer to comment on.
Totally. I see nothing wrong with talking about the themes of joker or how they may be taken in today's society but not if it cuts out all other conversation about aspects of said media. At least in a review.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I believe they should score art both on its impact and it's quality and not ignore either.
In the examples in my OP, both pass over performances, editing , score, cinematography and direction as somehow irrelevant to the overall score and judge it Primarily on the impact they view it as

for example a3/10 score is wrong for a movie with supposed great performances and make of music and image itself because reviewer disliked the impact. In the same vein a score of 8/10 is ridiculous if the performances are ok and movie is very forgettable But it scored 8 because of its impact they think it would / could have

I would argue that giving scores is stupid and reviewers should stop doing that and all aggregate web sites should just shut down. What is an 8 to someone can be a 3 to someone else.

A review is at the end of the day a short essay with limited number of words. Let the writers write on what they think is important, rather than go through a checklist of things that they must talk about. It reminds me of 90s video game scoring where you need to give a score for every part of the game and it is reductive and pointless and doesn't add anything to the conversation.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
And yet, the protagonist, gets away in the end, almost laughing about what he got away with. Sure, it totally spells it out for you. Do bad shit, then flip before it can catch up to you and enjoy maximum payoff. Sounds like it totally chastises that behavior...
Do you remember what happened to everyone else.
Totally. I see nothing wrong with talking about the themes of joker or how they may be taken in today's society but not if it cuts out all other conversation about aspects of said media. At least in a review.
Why do you feel people talking about the cultural impact of a film will prevent the discussion of other aspects?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is how OP wants movie reviews to work:

-Cinematography: Great
-Costumes: Great
-Direction: Great
-Performances: Great
-Original score: Great
-Art direction: Great
-Sound design: Great
-Editing: Great
-Screenplay/Story: Absolute dogshit
-Special Effects: Great

Final Score: 9/10
Why can't everything be like the good old days?

C_jwV8KU0AEJCng.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I think you should watch goodfellas again. They gave him egg noodles and ketchup. That might be worse then death

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
its the reviewers opinion, if they were turned off by the movie's themes or certain scenes then they can write about that

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
In a way it's a new type of censorship, you don't like the commentary, you write a bad review despite of quality, only content that will meet the commentary of reviewers is made.

How is the commentary, or in other words the themes, messages, subtext, intent, etc. of a film in any way shape or form separate from its quality?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]

It would be helpful if you stopped thinking of reviews as "good" or "bad" and validating your opinions but more as making you think about a work more deeply.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I think they're bad reviews, but I'm glad they exist because we need reviews from a variety of perspectives.

Wouldn't that make them good reviews, just ones you don't personally agree with? Or by variety of perspectives do you mean variety for variety's sake, like reviews based solely on the number of swear words or boobs per minute would be welcome because they broaden our critics horizons?

I mean I guess they would be kinda funny but I wouldn't call them good criticism.

No

And you've now officially killed the word censorship congratulations.

First they came for the objective film nerds, and I said nothing

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Yes that is another new example of a good, professional reviewer considering the whole of a film including its tone.

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
People should only write about movies the way I want them to write about them, because if they write about them the other way they're censoring creators. I therefore demand that film critics stop writing about film in ways I don't want them to. Because I'm worried about censorship. So they should stop writing about those things.