• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does there need to be a Switch Pro?

• Yes. Take my money!

Votes: 720 61.4%
  • No. Save it for next gen.

Votes: 378 32.3%
  • I don't know...

Votes: 74 6.3%

• Total voters

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Only if there's enough third party games to use that extra power. Nintendo don't seem to be interested in making cutting edge visuals. Even Wii U hardware is enough for them.

If a Switch Pro exists and launches without stuff like RDR2, FF15 or Cyberpunk (not exclusive), I'm not interested.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I think it would make sense for the switch pro to release next thanksgiving alongside Ps5 & Xbox two. So the big 3 all come out with new hardware.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Did I miss the news where the rumors about the current Switch being updated turned out to be confirmed?

When has a console ever seen hardware upgrades and not been given a new name?

Small internal changes happen frequently without any public indications. As long as the functionality is the same, then there is no reason to really change the name just because you changed manufacturer for a part or your manufacturer swapped processes and the part is now made slightly differently.

The boosts aren't really significant enough to warrant a model change and the functionality will be essentially identical. Which is why I think the premise in the OP that this suddenly negates the need for a Switch Pro are a bit far-fetched.

Merino

Oct 26, 2017
Waiting for a new era to start plus 2011 years is a bit too long of a wait, though ;)

More on point, though: 2021 isn't going to see the Switch 2 most likely, Nintendo have said they want the Switch to be around a bit longer than typical systems (which they defined as 5 years), which would get us to 2023 or later I think.
4 more years on this system right now feels like a long time without a proper hardware update. But then why stick to the Switch 1 platform in the form of a Pro, if it's a serious update then you are bound to split the market somewhat with games becomming inaccessible to the original hardware.

Then again, Nintendo being Nintendo. 2016 was still the year of a 400 x 240 handheld.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
It was never needed. A more portable version was always needed, and we are somewhat getting that, although the Lite still isnt all that portable either in the way that the DS/3DS were.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The upclocking is going to be very minor. What people want in a Switch Pro is a significant boost.

Right. I think if we're saying "Nintendo's planned improved revision to the Switch coming out in a year or so" then I still don't think we're getting much more than significantly better space and probably mostly improvements to battery life with some very minor performance gains. It is not something I would plan to replace my current model for.

If we're talking something beefier that gets the performance in handheld mode on the level of what docked mode looks like now or better than that, I'd be interested but even then I'm not sure that I'd be the first one in line to pick it up.

Dalcop

Nov 28, 2017
Yes. I don't want them to make games with the improved hardware in mind, I just need the power buffer for "vanilla" games.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Is it needed? no, not really. even after 2 years what's the point? a small jump in power won't be enough for next gen games, and for this gen Switch already supports U4 and Unity.

I prefer they release a second generation Switch after some years down the road but probably they won't do that.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If it's coming only next year, it's better to wait for a next gen. A pro for me should improve on the stand and storage (make it 128g or more).

I bet the next switxh will launch on 2021.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Nah, save the big jump for the next gen console which will hopefully release in '22 or around then.
No one's going to make an exclusive library for a "Pro" so its a waste of good hardware.

If the next gen system is BC and plays the current games better, while having a full exclusive library dedicated to its higher specs; then everyone would be happy.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I wonder if Nintendo will just ride this out. If so, Switch would have another 2 good years, maybe 3?

But would a new Switch even be labeled clearly as a Switch successor such as Switch 2?

We aren't really sure what their strategy will even be moving forward.

What if in 2 years they decide on having 2 simultaneous models, like an update that replaces the current Switch along with a Pro or true successor?

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I hate calling it the Pro.

What the Switch needs is an iterative release schedule that breaks the 5-6 year refresh rate that they kicked off in the 80's.

I had thought that was going to be straight iterative releases with new CPU, GPU, and memory every 2-3 years, but it's now looking to be more of a tick/tock time schedule with new Switch every 5-6 years and a die shrink and minor refresh in between those.

I think the biggest thing for them is to not let things wane by being stagnant.

My naming convention is:
Switch # Adjective

Switch Lite (# is assumed as 1)
Switch 2 (Adjective is assumed as the core system)
Switch 2 Lite
Switch 2 TV
Switch 7 XL
Switch 3 DX

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I would choose next gen but Nintendo is so far behind in terms of gen power they will probably just stick to the Switch for another 2-3 years. If that's the case then definitely give us a Switch console-only version.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You want slightly improved hardware to run a launch game better? Sounds like a waste of money. They've got good hardware, they just need to improve the form factor.

Don't give a damn about the form factor, weight, etc, they don't impact my gameplay like frame rate does.

Waste of money to me is buying the same thing in another shape or form.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yes, as someone who plays docked basically all the time, I care more about getting better performance on 1st party Nintendo games than portability. Give me a Switch Pro!!
You want slightly improved hardware to run a launch game better? Sounds like a waste of money. They've got good hardware, they just need to improve the form factor.
Not everyone cares about portability. I honestly don't give a damn about the form factor, but I will say that the Switch is one amazing piece of hardware for how small it is.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for like 5 minutes in handheld mode, the game looked like a VHS. Shit looked blurry as fuck! I couldn't believe my eyes!
I know this isn't the shining example of the Switch's graphical output because I've played tons of hours of Breath of the Wild.

I'm jumping in again if we get like a 50% power boost to the GPU in all games. Ideally I would like most games to run as close as possible to 720p in handheld mode as that's how I mostly used my Switch when I had it before I sold it to a friend.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I hate calling it the Pro.

What the Switch needs is an iterative release schedule that breaks the 5-6 year refresh rate that they kicked off in the 80's.

I had thought that was going to be straight iterative releases with new CPU, GPU, and memory every 2-3 years, but it's now looking to be more of a tick/tock time schedule with new Switch every 5-6 years and a die shrink and minor refresh in between those.

I think the biggest thing for them is to not let things wane by being stagnant.

My naming convention is:
Switch # Adjective

Switch Lite (# is assumed as 1)
Switch 2 (Adjective is assumed as the core system)
Switch 2 Lite
Switch 2 TV
Switch 7 XL
Switch 3 DX
I hate this idea, honestly. The phone model fucking sucks with how quickly everything gets outdated.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
You'll have a Switch home-console only version and you'll all like it.

A Switch Lite for people who want a handheld and a Switch "home" for people who only want a console to connect to their TV.

Ditch the hybrid concept for good, most people couldn't care less about it.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
For nintendo? No, for people here yes probably. It's an gaming forum in which people are really willing to spend a lot of money on getting the image sharper and better framerates with console upgrades.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Yes, as someone who plays docked basically all the time, I care more about getting better performance on 1st party Nintendo games than portability. Give me a Switch Pro!!

Not everyone cares about portability. I honestly don't give a damn about the form factor, but I will say that the Switch is one amazing piece of hardware for how small it is.
Nintendo knows a ton of people care about portability. With the 3DS being all but dead, Nintendo needs a new truly portable device to satisfy those customers. That market will always be much larger than the market that wants more power.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I don't think its needed and I really hope the half-step upgrades (PS4 Pro, XBX) don't become the norm going forward. I'm personally fine waiting for the Switch 2 in 2022 or whenever it comes.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
People care about power for nintendo all of a sudden? its never going to happen. They decided that many years ago with the wii, and doubling down on a handheld formfactor has confirmed that.

Nintendo doing their own thing has always been their strength.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've been so content with my Switch and am buying games for it that I love every single month that I'm in no need of a more powerful one.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Will wait for Switch 2 personally. Don't use my Switch enough for an incremental upgrade.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
Whether it's needed or not, Nintendo will release one for sure. But I wouldn't hold my breath on "It will be a PS4/X1 portable!!!" statement. It probably will be a modest upgrade that might includes bigger screen, better battery, and playing games in higher resolution and framerate.

Is it needed? no, not really. even after 2 years what's the point? a small jump in power won't be enough for next gen games, and for this gen Switch already supports U4 and Unity.

I prefer they release a second generation Switch after some years down the road but probably they won't do that.

Even if Nintendo managed to make a "Pro" revision that's capable of playing next gen games with some black sorcery, binding the law of physics or anything else. People needs to remember that 1st and 3rd party games should be also playable on the other Switch models. Doing something like "New 3DS exclusives" will piss off the majority of the established fanbase.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy a Switch Pro only if it was an actual console and not a hybrid. The handheld design limits the potential of a "Pro" revision. The Lite is already covering the handheld market, the regular Switch is both, so the Pro would fit perfectly into the dock-only section.

Make it seamless to transfer my saves between two devices and boom, perfect.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I want one and I think it would be good for players and Nintendo to refresh the Switch with more powerful hardware at some point during its life cycle.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The innard change isn't going to result in any meaningful improvement.

A real Switch Pro would end subnative content in handheld and boost performance in docked. I'd be happy to have it. Even Nintendo's titles could use a boost in res and FPS.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
Ideal lineup:

Lite: portable only $
Hybrid: OG Switch $$
Pro: PS4 level when docked (Dock as external GPU) $$$

Same library, different performance.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not hitting a stable FPS isn't some Nintendo artistic choice, it needs an update

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely 0 interest, give me a much more powerful Switch 2 in 2021 instead. Don't really care for these mid Gen refreshes, I would rather have a next gen part sooner.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Not really. As long as Nintendo's games run well its fine. Frankly, the most I would want is a resolution bump or maybe some real nice upscaling tech actually built into the dock? I'm just saying that it would be nice if Switch games didn't look so rough on my 4k OLED LG TV. I know, first world problems :/

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I used to think so, but given the giant asterisks sitting next to the Switch Lite that has the potential to confuse buyers, it probably makes sense to just replace the current Switch completely than add a third SKU. I'd rather not see too much fragmentation.