• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does there need to be a Switch Pro?

• Yes. Take my money!

Votes: 720 61.4%
  • No. Save it for next gen.

Votes: 378 32.3%
  • I don't know...

Votes: 74 6.3%

• Total voters

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Switch wouldnt had sold so well if it wasnt a portable/home console combination, people on ERA were calling it a failure before it launched but the hybrid nature catched on and proved itself popular.

Stricly nothing prove the success is due to the hybrid concept.

It has Nintendo games, it had a killer first year in term of software and you didn't have to cope with an aweful/stupid "Gamepad" like you had to on the Wii U. I don't care what people thought on Era or elsewhere, it wasn't bound to fail and it has nothing to do with its hybrid nature.

Inb4 the Switch Lite model completely overtake the OG model and prove that point. Just so some can stop trying to build narrative to hype features they personally like.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Imo it's not needed. I would've preferred the Lite be a bit bigger (if necessary), maybe a tad more powerful, and kept TV-out. Going the full "Pro" route would have bad implications on battery life and potentially split the install base.

The situation right now is that the launch Switch is a clunky kit that tries to do too much, and the Lite made too many concessions in the name of price and portability.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Since the announcement of the Lite I've found myself wanting a TV-only pro more and more. Could be just a $200 PSTV style black box with improved performance.

It's not needed though.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Gaming is my most spendy hobby so, as long as I remain gainfully employed, I'll purchase whatever Nintendo produces that will close the gap between image quality of Switch games and media played from every other device hooked to my TV.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. There are Nintendo fans that want to play games on their 4k televisions with the image quality not so far off of the other console manufacturers....

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is gonna have a hard time catching up next year without a full blown switch 2. say goodbye to wolfenstein and mortal Kombat

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy it and continued AAA third party support into next gen would probably require it, but I'm not sure it's coming.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its definitely not needed. I don't see Nintendo abandoning its current player base by making Switch Plus only games a year after introducing the Lite. I know that some examples exist before but its just a bad business move. If third parties want switch sales they are gonna have to do some port work or make original games for the platform.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Stricly nothing prove the success is due to the hybrid concept.

It has Nintendo games, it had a killer first year in term of software and you didn't have to cope with an aweful/stupid "Gamepad" like you had to on the Wii U. I don't care what people thought on Era or elsewhere, it wasn't bound to fail and it has nothing to do with its hybrid nature.

Inb4 the Switch Lite model completely overtake the OG model and prove that point. Just so some can stop trying to build narrative to hype features they personally like.
But its right there in the name, everyone but hardcore internet forums loved the concept from the start.

3DS at $250 wasn't nowhere near as popular as Switch at launch for $300 that Nintendo felt the need to cut the price by $80 6 months later, and that had a very , very impressive showing at E3 with lots of first and third party games.

me thinks you are trying to downplay the hybrid concept had a part in the success of the Switch, it wasn't just Zelda, 12 Switch or the hardware it was everything

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
it was never needed. devs just need to get better on working on it.

it is also a matter of budget.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
I don't understand why people are clamoring for a higher powered switch.

We knew Nintendo wasn't chasing after cutting edge tech when you purchased one, why the sudden desire for it now?

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
If Nintendo does it, then it's needed. If they don't announce it we don't need it.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You'll have a Switch home-console only version and you'll all like it.

A Switch Lite for people who want a handheld and a Switch "home" for people who only want a console to connect to their TV.

Ditch the hybrid concept for good, most people couldn't care less

People couldn't care less says person about the mode that by Nintendo's own admission is vastly the most popular (using switch in both modes is the preferred use of more than 50% of users), with just about thirty percent mainly preferring handheld and then the rest preferring to keep it docked.

Some of these dumb takes, geez.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
To be honest, the only reason I still don't have a Switch is because I wanted a bit more power. I would buy a more expensive/powerful Switch. I guess I'n just gonna have to buy the OG soon, though.

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
If the switch pro is a switch without the handheld and is tv only console with higher res and frame rates then that's what I want... wait it wouldn't be a switch anymore but then either is the lite.

Please don't miss the irony in my post.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
People couldn't care less says person about the mode that by Nintendo's own admission is vastly the most popular (using switch in both modes is the preferred use of more than 50% of users), with just about thirty percent mainly preferring handheld and then the rest preferring to keep it docked.

Old and barely relevent datas nowaday, the graph you're speaking about is from 2017 ! We're in 2019, the Switch is ~35m consoles sold by now. It's time to stop using 2 years old data as relevent informations to support a bias. Outside of that, Switch Lite is here, without hybrid mode, despite it being the "one key feature" that made the Switch a success, according to some (lol). Nintendo know what's up more than you and me.

But its right there in the name, everyone but hardcore internet forums loved the concept from the start.

3DS at $250 wasn't nowhere near as popular as Switch at launch for $300 that Nintendo felt the need to cut the price by $80, and that had a very , very impressive showing at E3 with lots of first and third party.

me thinks you are trying to downplay the hybrid concept had a part in the success of the Switch, it wasn't just Zelda, 12 Switch or the hardware it was everything

1 - The first year wasn't just Zelda. It was Zelda with a huge word of mouth, mainstream coverage (best sold Zelda title) + Splatoon 2 + Mario Kart Deluxe + Arms + Mario Odyssey. It has to be one of the best launch year for a console ever. Everything mattered in the end, you're right, but the hybrid concept is probably the least of those stuff.
2 - Who cares about the name of a console ? The Switch Lite has "Switch" in it, yet it doesn't Switch. Even Nintendo doesn't care.
3 - 3DS was ugly, overpriced, with a shit first year compared to the Switch. Plus, the 3D was probably one of the dumbest idea from Nintendo in the recent years (with the Gamepad).

You're stretching it very far. Lmao at the hyperbole by the way, "very, very impressive showing at E3". You're speaking about E3 2010 right ? You can't be serious. I almost fell alseep during the 3DS reveal.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Save it for next gen, even with a substantial upgrade it still won't be able to run multiplats made for PS5/Scarlett/Stadia/PC. Team up with Nvidia and launch a powerful new console in two years instead, able to fully compete with the other platforms.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
The various "pro" versions of consoles never seem to be worth it in terms of performance boosts or exclusives. I've only upgraded handhelds when they wear out or to get a bigger screen, but neitehr will apply to the Switch, which I exclusively use on the TV. I don't think Nintendo's audience even cares though, since they mostly buy it for the exclusives which are all made to run well on it anyway.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, it already needed a spec boost before, now with PS5 and XBO2 at sight, it's pivotal for Switch stay relevant in a long term strategy.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
100%

Honestly, the dream is to have something on the PS4/Xbox One level of tech but in a handheld like the Switch.

Isn't that, a sequel though? I mean, a Switch Pro won't be that.

I'm actually interested in the cheaper, Switch Lite or whatever it's called, because I can't imagine a Switch Pro would provide the leap required to really change the game.

I play on a PS4 Pro, but in that case, the games I'm playing are focused on spectacle. I really like the snazzy graphics, and love seeing how different game developers one-up one another. But as far as the switch is concerned, I'm resigned to thinking that it's not possible to compete with that fidelity, so if the experiences will always look, bad by contrast to other platforms, then I'm much more interested in other features such as cost, weight, battery life and portability.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A stronger Switch (a "Pro" or Switch 2 or call it whatever) would be welcome every day and i would buy it day one. It's almost a bit depressing looking at the great Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in undocked mode.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I'd probably upgrade if they released a Pro model, but I'd personally rather they saved any spec bumps for Switch 2. Even if it meant the OG Switch having a relatively short lifespan for a console (~5 years).

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
A stationary-only Switch Pro where they went all in on hardware instead of portability would be my wish. They already got the handheld-only Mini, so it's the only thing missing.

Feb 10, 2018
If the switch is going to be a 5yr cycle, then no, just make a switch 2 in 2022.
A switch pro would be cool with better performance and res in dynamic res games, but if its coming in 2020 then I'd rather just wait for a switch 2 in 2022.

Maybe in 2022 a switch 2 could handle PS5/scarlett ports.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Yes. There are a myriad of games that can stand to have better resolutions and/or actual stable framerates.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
With many Switch games running at really low resolutions, I'd say a Pro version with enough power to guarantee 720p (handheld) and 1080p (docked) for every game, would be fantastic and well worth it. Anything more powerful would be a bonus.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Well, eventually we will need a Switch 2 lol

Next year starts a new gen. I would say that by 2021 Nintendo should have a Switch 2 that is at least as good as a PS4.

Opinions, of course!