• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
By that I mean a character that originated in a cartoon that became so popular they became closely associated with the brand and it's characters.

Harley Quinn was introduced in the 90's Batman Animated series and from that point on she became associated with the Joker that she became a regular in most works that had the Joker, including the comics. Harley eventually outgrew Joker and is now a face that has her own shows, comics and movies to great success.

Is Ahsoka en route to similar levels of success as an original character introduced in a cartoon outside of its franchise's "main" medium (movies)?

My vote is yes, but it depends entirely on Lucasfilm realizing her potential and exploiting it.

Ahsoka_Tano%2B%25281%2529.png

Star-wars-ahsoka-1-662x1024.jpg
Star-Wars-Forces-of-Destiny-Ahsoka-Padme-600x911.jpg

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
She will never hit the popularity Harley has. Not even close.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
She deserves to make the jump to live action films tbh. I have posted several times how it could work post mandalorian with ezra and baby yoda in a new galaxy.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love her, the reality is that she's never gonna get that kind of exposure. She'll be popular with the hardcores who enjoy the non-movie stuff, but she'll never be big enough to break through to the type of mainstream success that Harley has.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
The regular movie going folk have no idea who she is.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss something saying she'll be having a bigger role in the franchise going forward? Cause if not, no. She's been around for awhile now and no one knows about her. If they throw her into a movie or live action show sure, but that's basically true for any character.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is there's only one version of her. Harley Quinn can be done over and over, from BTAS, to DC animated films, to DC comics in general, to the DCEU version, etc.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
She's cool, but the most intriguing parts about her, her relationship and contrast to Anakin and then Vader, is already played out. Not to say they can't find another interesting angle for her now that she is in a sage role, but she is basically Gandalf without any mystery left. It's hard to see her in a place where she would see any dramatic growth, considering she is about as competent and stable a character as you can be at this point.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Harley became harley because it is cheaper for her to go to the main batman media.

Disney would have to gamble much more on putting her on star wars main media

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
No, not close in terms of comparing her to the popularity of Harley. And especially not since Disney will be moving on from the Skywalker Saga within a few years.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
No one knew Harley Quinn but 90's kids until WB decided to give her more exposure and exploit her popularity with them.
Nah. Kids not born in the 90's watched the cartoons/played video games/read comics with Harley in it. Harley's appeal is simple and easy to understand like Venom. She is just a sexy female Joker like Venom is an evil black Spider-Man.

Not only does Ahsoka have the prequel era baggage working against her as far as main stream appeal goes she also has a very SW name that I doubt my grandma would ever learn.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The regular movie going folk have no idea who she is.

Yup a lot of casual fans only watch the movies. One of my co-workers is like that. Paid for a full row of seats for family and extended family at the theater with D-Box and everything for the ROS premiere and has no idea who Ahsoka is.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I get that a lot of people watch and love the Star Wars TV shows, but they haven't come close to penetrating into actual popular culture.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Harley Quinn is kind of treated is kind of like a weird icon of being a free spirit, and can makes a 'sexy' Halloween consume... it's not really comparable.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. None of the stupid secret Jedi characters that survived to the OT and yet never became involved in the defining conflict of the era will ever matter. The sooner Disney forgets about their silly existence and moves on to other time periods, the better.

Oct 29, 2017
Drax is a fucking pop culture icon nowadays so with the right talent anything goes.

Plus at this point Ahsoka might be a better written character than anyone in the movies, so I guess that could help.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
No. None of the stupid secret Jedi characters that survived to the OT and yet never became involved in the defining conflict of the era will ever matter. The sooner Disney forgets about their silly existence and moves on to other time periods, the better.

Yeah no. Ahsoka is a wonderful character.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harley Quinn was a nobody except a hardcore fan favorite before she wasn't and became mainstream. I think people vastly understate Ahsokas popularity. She is massive among fans of star wars of all ages and a monster in terms of popularity with female fans. She is at the stage where she could become huge if Disney does it right but its Disney so faith in that happening is minimal.

Even now what drives half of Harley Quinns popularity is male masturbatory objectification.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017

Lol. I like Ashoka but this is so true.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt we will ever see a live action version of her or any of the Rebels cast as well.

maybe something like " that Jedi in the background for 2 seconds in the new movie was Ezra"

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Harley Quinn was a nobody except a hardcore fan favorite before she wasn't and became mainstream. I think people vastly understate Ahsokas popularity. She is massive among fans of star wars of all ages and a monster in terms of popularity with female fans. She is at the stage where she could become huge if Disney does it right but its Disney so faith in that happening is minimal.

Even now what drives half of Harley Quinns popularity is male masturbatory objectification.

Exactly.

With the Mandalorian ending being full of direct callbacks to her series, I feel like they're gearing up to give it a try.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No one knew Harley Quinn but 90's kids until WB decided to give her more exposure and exploit her popularity with them.
Harley's explosion into the modern eye was BECAUSE she was so popular. Ahsoka is only popular among people who took the time to follow along with the Clone Wars and Rebels tv shows past the bad movie.

She's also nowhere near as easy to cosplay

Status
Not open for further replies.