• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I recently purchased the PC version of World to get ready for Iceborne, played through it on PS4, (loved it) about a year ago. Generally speaking, i'm having a great time replaying it, however, I decided to roll with a female character to change things up a bit. Already had armor sets in mind. Crafted some Ajanath armor, and...this was the result.

ExcG0Wq.jpg

This is what the male set looks like.

latest

It's the over the top, but also practical, and badass. While the female version looks like a hideous chainmail bikini.

I don't mind the presence of some "sexy" armor, but everywhere I look, every set has been ridiculously sexualised and changed from the far better looking male sets. 99 percent of female sets in general always expose the legs. A farcry from the gender neutral sets from the Souls series.

TGR Onix

Nov 3, 2017
There's a lot of non sexualized armor sets though... But I feel like that's always been a thing in the series. There have been a lot of "scantily clad" type sets for quite a long time.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
(Same convo came up today on the MH subreddit, just gonna steal my comment from there)

You should see the Nergigante set... Literally the flagship monster, and the perfect example of this.

Also the main reason I regret picking a female player character. If my set involves any skimpy bikinis or some other uncool style I just end up layered armouring Dante's outfit or something, which gets stale after a while (especially since most motivation for playing this game is to craft new armour)

Next MH game I'm probably gonna go male. At least male characters are allowed to be bad-ass 100% of the time, whereas female characters have to pick between bad-ass hunter and dainty lady

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
yeah there's a lot of bikini armor in the game. there's also plenty of armor that covers you up, like barroth, baan, diablos, dodogama, rathalos, etc

since you are on PC, there is a mod that lets you use any skin in the game with your armor, you might want to check that out.

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
Unfortunately, female armor sets have often been terrible in most MH games so far. I had hoped we would get better versions with MHW, but we still get crap like your example.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't played MH, but that top example looks pretty ridiculous in comparison to the male set.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
So you basically picked the one and only set looking like that in the whole game and make a thread called "how bad female armor looks in MH", implying the whole game

kinda misleading op

nergigante, bone, deviljho, dober, kulu are all armors where the female version is much more exposed than the male version.

at least with kirin the male version is exposed too

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So you basically picked the one and only set looking like that in the whole game and make a thread called "how bad female armor looks in MH", implying the whole game

kinda misleading op
Explain to me why men get to wear leather pants in the starter set and females don't?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you're not the only one. A fair bit of conversation about it when the game came out. It is pretty rubbish.

The rest of it is a great game though.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want both armor sets to be available to everyone :/ i want my hunter to show as much skin as possible but nope, men get 10 inches of metal slapped all over their body.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly as person considering jumping into the franchise with World, it turned me off from getting the game entirely (that and I sucked)

Yeah, the female armor disparity in the series has always been a bit aggravating. World is maybe a little bit better about it by virtue of not having that many monsters and thereby not that many armor sets in comparison, but they still managed to have some really dopey stuff like the crazy big skirt on the Rathian set and that outrageous slit on either side of the Odogoran set. Even stuff that's largely pretty good can have one really dumb thing that makes it lacking compared to the male version, like those stupid cat ears on the Radobaan set. They're definitely long overdue for unisex on the more full armor options.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Yep, my girlfriend played it for the first time and made a female character. She said "Well I guess my thighs don't need protection..." and then I showed her the rest of the sets compared to the male and she went "Really?!"

It's not great.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
nergigante, bone, deviljho, dober, kulu are all armors where the female version is much more exposed than the male version.

at least with kirin the male version is exposed too

This is also misleading since only Deviljho beta has revealing skin as far as the woman version goes

Nergi / Bone are almost the same top but sure. Dober has exposed skins for both male and females

For the rest I agree but how many armors total have this vs full armors ?

The ratio is clearly in favor toward non exposed armors

silvermakhno

Apr 20, 2018
I started as a female character, but decided to switch to male because of the awful armor designs. Just whyyyyyy......... (I know why)

Nov 1, 2017
Someone post that cartoon of the bikini armour wearing female with arrows poking into the tiny armour and missing all the exposed flesh. Thanks!

This kind of thing is nothing new really. Is there a game out there with female armour sets that don't involve metal titty bikini's? At least it's not as bad as Prince of Persia: Warrior Within:

Prince-Of-Persia-.Warrior-Within-2-1024x768.jpg

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Best looking female armor sets in my opinion are the Odogaron, Death Stench Alpha, Xeno-jiiva, and Vaal Hazak.
The low monster count definitely adds to the disparity of good looking to bad looking armor sets, hopefully with the new expansion dropping soon we get more decent looking female armor.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I don't play monster hunter, but that one looks pretty alright :
cqvx42ox.png
q3mp62q7.png

Seems to me you can get a proper armor whatever your gender choice is.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Monster Hunter, but I'm so over sexualised female 'armour' so the designs in it are definitely something that would bother me.

I wish developers were better than this.

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
maxresdefault.jpg

"Let's not cover one of the most vital parts of the body so we can show some skin."
There are other examples, just take a look at the link you provided yourself.

Since I was sure this would come up, that's the original Dragoon design from Final Fantasy, which also is exactly the same in FF XIV ARR from which its taken from (since it was for the behemoth event)

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I love the Anjanath armor! Monster Hunter is largely Fashion Souls anyway, once you get enough decorations. I think MHW does a great job with giving you lots of choices for how you want your character's armor to look. Anjanath/Bikini armor is just one of many choices. There are plenty of fully covered options to choose from. Here are just a few examples:

jjCpy1f.png

You can see all the armors here: https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/664...sets-all-high-rank-female-armor-sets-pictured

Options and choices in character customization are good.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I laughed when I was scrolling through the Monster Hunter quest rewards in FFXIV.

The male Rathalos Coil looks like this...

Augmented_rathalos_coil_m_icon1.png

Then the female Rathalos Coil looks like... Well...

Augmented_rathalos_coil_f_icon1.png

The chain mail basically turns it into a skirt situation but it's still pretty ridiculous in comparison

200px-Augmented_Rathalos_M1.png
140px-Augmented_Rathalos_F1.png

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019

kinda misleading, op

Not really. Just because they aren't bikini armor doesn't make them any less sexualized. Most of those have thigh windows, tight fitting breast plates, or non-existent/open helmets where males don't.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really like it. But yes it is more sexualized than the male versions from what I've seen.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really disappointed by Iceborne's female armor so far. The worst example is the Girros armor. It was one of the coolest-looking female armor sets in World.

Girros-Set-Female.jpg

But the Iceborne design features bared thighs and cleavage and doesn't have the same creepy mask.

Last edited:

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Nah. I love me armorkinis, and Odagaron set is dope.

The only time i've ever wanted the male set was Seltas in MH4U
MH4U-Seltas_Z_Armor_(Blademaster)_Render_001.png

Coulda been Gurren Lagann

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
In one of the art books one of the main artists said this which encapsulates everything:
Edayan said:
We try to make sure the armor can actually be worn as armor. This is something we focused on a lot early in development, and that's why the female version of the Velociprey armor looks pretty hardcore despite the fact that it's supposed to be designed for females.
The "pretty hardcore despite being designed for females" armor he's talking about:

It's so annoying having to turn down like half the armors because of this shit. I just gave up and switched to a male character.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
You're full of excuses for obvious sexism, aren't you

I'm sorry what now ? excuses ?

Every single armor from a collaboration in MHW uses the EXACT same designs from the games they come from, be it Horizon, Megaman, Witcher 3, Devil May Cry or FF XIV ARR

I understand if people don't like the design of some of them, was just saying that in terms of overall representation you get way more full on armors than the other way around

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
There are "exposed" armor sets available for both of the game's genders with only slightly more options for women.

The complaint I have is that they aren't sexy enough for either gender. With only Kirin coming close to my fashion centric desires.

The armor and weapons are about character design, not practically or protection so that really is the big shortcoming here.

Fortunately on PC you can mod however you like, but I hope Iceborne allows for sexy guys and gals to a much greater degree than the vanilla game.

yami4ct

Oct 25, 2017
I dont mind some of the sets being more exposed on women if the designs are good, but sadly a lot of the time in the series they really aren't. Also this is why the series really needs a transmog system. Let people play fashion hunter without having to worry about stats. It's insane that world locked that ability to DLC sets.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Base game Worlds female armor designs are significantly better than the "strap some metal onto a barrel" designs for the male armors.

Base World as a whole has a really awful art style for the armors and weapons though.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There are "exposed" armor sets available for both of the game's genders with only slightly more options for women.
Slightly? Exposed thighs are almost standard for female armor in Monster Hunter.

Nah. I love me armorkinis, and Odagaron set is dope.

The only time i've ever wanted the male set was Seltas in MH4U
MH4U-Seltas_Z_Armor_(Blademaster)_Render_001.png

Coulda been Gurren Lagann
What bothers me about Seltas armor is how the female Seltas is the bigger and stronger of the two... Yet the female armor set is based mostly on the male Seltas while the male set is based on the female Seltas. It's especially noticeable with the Low Rank gear.

latest

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anja, Deviljho Beta, Drachen, Kulu, Kulve, Nerg and Tzitzi are the major ones that, when compared to their male variants, seem to prioritize "looking sexy" over "looking like you're going into battle" to different degrees. And those are only the immediately obvious ones, I excluded any that have the inexplicable skirts/thighs showing through heavy armour...Which would have me list more than half of the armour sets, easy.

The Drachen armour makes sense if it's like that in FF14 (though the issue still remains, just levied at different designers for a different game), and I'd argue the Kulu at least fits with the theme that the outfit is going for.

And also excluded any that had the male appear the same/show the same amount of skin, because the disparity is my - and most peoples' - main issue. If the men get cool full armour from a specific monster, women should too; alternatively, if women get something more creative but makes little-to-no battle sense like the Kulve armour, why do only female characters get it, while male charatcers have bad-ass armour?

And what on earth is with all the god damn bare thighs?!

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Going back to Souls as an example of good female armor design, even the handful of sets that do change are all just as protective and practical,

Take the Fluted Female armor from Demon
demon_s_souls___fluted_armor_f__by_hephpin_kot_dczp61i-pre.jpg

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I dont mind some of the sets being more exposed on women if the designs are good, but sadly a lot of the time in the series they really aren't. Also this is why the series really needs a transmog system. Let people play fashion hunter without having to worry about stats. It's insane that world locked that ability to DLC sets.
90% of the layered armor sets are available through quests actually.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First off, I'm male, obviously, so my opinion is crap really compared to how women probably feel about this, but it personally wouldn't bother me as much if the armor and outfit designs were equal opportunity regarding this stuff, as we've seen in some other games (plus I have a weird appreciation for absolute ridiculous armor set designs for both male and female characters).

But given some statements for the team working on the game, and the very clear difference between the armor sets specifically what they're doing here, this absolutely does bother me, 100%. Very clear why they're doing this and it's absolutely unfortunate. Even if the armor/cloth builds were even just slightly different, but still covered them appropriately, it'd still be better than whatever the above stuff that's been posted.

What's weird is I wanna say it's not every armor/cloth design in the game, either, but as time goes on, seems more and more of this stuff leans towards what's posted above.

Capcom, you can do better than this, come on.