• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jromz03

Oct 28, 2017
In Generations Ultimate you can layer any armour with any other armour. Its not uncommon to see female (and sometimes male) characters in their undies running around tanking the strongest monsters.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you under the impression that the banana hammock would not be allowed in a T rated game? Women wear the equivalent ALL THE TIME in T rated games.

So how happy would you be to see this type of design become the norm for male characters while female characters received the more traditional, full bodied armor sets?

2dc9d00705dbe9e8b016b78cc6f0a383-mens-underwear-hammocks.jpg

Finally men can look "cool", too! By the way, I threw that together for you. Feel free to use it as your avatar. ;)
Whatever the ladies like to see hot men wear, I'd be fine with more of on the male characters. I don't think anyone seriously thinks a banana hammock or what you posted there is sexy though. Ladies, feel free to chime in and tell me that's super hot though.

Oct 29, 2017
The armour sets in MH:W were under-whelming overall for me, though it is definitely more noticeable in the female sets.

It also occurred in MH:4 to a certain degree.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's weird. One thing that I always noted when I watched Souls games is that they seemingly have the same armor for male and female characters and how visually boring that is. I remember noticing that years ago when I first saw Dark Souls on stream. A lot of times you couldn't even tell if the create-a-charcter was male or female. Granted the charcter spends a great deal of the me looking like dried jerky in that game so strong charcter designs aren't that important.

In any case, I'd consider going from the striking and cool visual design that monster Hunter has to a Souls-esque unified design system would be a definite downgrade.

You do realise the purpose of armour isn't titillation but protection in battle, right?

In any case, they could retain diversity to the female armour designs without making them impractical and illogical simply for objectification.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
You do realise the purpose of armour isn't titillation but protection in battle, right?

In any case, they could retain diversity to the female armour designs without making them impractical and illogical simply for objectification.

Armor has tons of uses in Monster Hunter: increasing speed, keeping you cool or warm, making you less hungry, decreasing the amount of stamina you use, just to name a few.

None of these necessarily line up with the designs, so I don't think any argument based around practicality or logic really applies unless you just have problems with the designs in general. You're free to just dislike objectifying designs or wish they were more equally balanced between the sexes.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's both laughable and pretty sad. Not only that but some Master Rank armors for the next expansion are more revealing than the lower level variants. The Korean MMO design.

I don't see what is inherently wrong about the design. Just because she is exposing some skin does not automatically equate that she is being sexualized.

The wrong thing is the double standard, where men can have proper armor but women have to wear bikini armor because... well, they are women. This is why examples like the Anja armor are worse than say, Kirin armor, where atleast (more or less) it's equal revealing in both genders.

At some point these designs feel less motivated by libido and more out of a habit of "this is how women look."

Considering some comments from the devs discussed in the Era women thread I think this is pretty much it. It's that idea that women need to dress sexy and elegant.

Last edited:

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Armor has tons of uses in Monster Hunter: increasing speed, keeping you cool or warm, making you less hungry, decreasing the amount of stamina you use, just to name a few.

None of these necessarily line up with the designs, so I don't think any argument based around practicality or logic really applies unless you just have problems with the designs in general. You're free to just dislike objectifying designs or wish they were more equally balanced between the sexes.

But the point is that the impracticality in question pertains to differences in gender, not the armour in and of itself. If the male versions had the same impractical elements, that would be one thing, but the discrepancies with the female versions are clearly for objectification and titillation instead. It would be highly disingenuous to pretend or claim otherwise. Infact your attempt at obfuscating this point in itself comes off as disingenuous.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
But the point is that the impracticality in question pertains to differences in gender, not the armour in and of itself. If the male versions had the same impractical elements, that would be one thing, but the discrepancies with the female versions are clearly for objectification and titillation instead. It would be highly disingenuous to pretend or claim otherwise. Infact your attempt at obfuscating this point in itself comes off as disingenuous.

I don't think the male version designs are coming from a practicality standpoint in most cases. It's just rule of cool.

For example, look at the Anjanath armor example from the OP. The chest gives "Marathon Runner" which functions as you might expect. Explain how the male armor is a more practical example of that effect compared to the female one? If we're taking that stance, the male armor is what should be changed.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you're going to insist there has to be any logic behind the use and design of armor then you cant ignore the in-universe logic behind the use of each armor.

As explained, each armor set derived from a monster often serves a purpose besides just physical protection. No one wants to have barrels all over their body while fighting in a lava cave. No one wants to be covered in metal alone while fighting in colder climates. The various designs also affect gameplay.

MH has too much variety in both male and female designs to be labeled straight up as korean mmo sexulization.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's armor for everyone in Monster Hunter, to be fair. What the game needs is a transmog system, so you can optimize yourself while looking the way you like.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I know this is slightly off topic but can anybody explain to me what Monster Hunter is? I have never played it before and even after reading reviews I struggle to understand the concept but it looks really interesting to me.

Basically can someone explain it to me like I am 5 or point me in the direction of a review that doesn't assume I know about the series already?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
MH has too much variety in both male and female designs to be labeled straight up as korean mmo sexulization.

Not really. Even more covered female armors ends up falling in the old tired japanese trope of having thigh gaps, and as I said new Master Rank armors are more revealing for their female variants for no reason. The only difference compared to korean MMOs is that MH doesn't sexualize their male designs as much.

It's true that a lot of male armors are also ugly because they're too bulky, it's what I saw earlier coming from Lumi's post, designers have this weird idea that men have to wear bulky and huge armors and women cute and sexy armors. It's a stupid and archaic mentality.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is slightly off topic but can anybody explain to me what Monster Hunter is? I have never played it before and even after reading reviews I struggle to understand the concept but it looks really interesting to me.

Basically can someone explain it to me like I am 5 or point me in the direction of a review that doesn't assume I know about the series already?
It's basically a boss rush game. The general loop is fight boss > get materials > refight boss until you have enough materials to forge weapons/armor > fight next boss.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you're going to insist there has to be any logic behind the use and design of armor then you cant ignore the in-universe logic behind the use of each armor.

As explained, each armor set derived from a monster often serves a purpose besides just physical protection. No one wants to have barrels all over their body while fighting in a lava cave. No one wants to be covered in metal alone while fighting in colder climates. The various designs also affect gameplay.

Considering that in pretty much every discrepancy example available, the female variant is the one that is showing skin, it wouldn't be far fetched to claim as much at all.

Also, stop trying to obfuscate fictional design exaggeration with clear distinctions based on gender alone. They are two entirely different things. Nobody here is suggesting MHW should go completely realistic in its armour designs, just that the female variants not be routinely amended or distinct purely for the purposes of objectification or titillation.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I take less issue with the female armor as I wish the male armor showed more skin tbh

Kirin Armor rules for that reason

Axelon

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Female armor in MH have never been as badass as male ones except maybe Kirin and Nargacuga ones in past games. Also if you are expecting anime tiddies this ain't the game for you. Wait for iceborne and you might be satisfied with female Velkhana armor tho

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the male version designs are coming from a practicality standpoint in most cases. It's just rule of cool.

For example, look at the Anjanath armor example from the OP. The chest gives "Marathon Runner" which functions as you might expect. Explain how the male armor is a more practical example of that effect compared to the female one? If we're taking that stance, the male armor is what should be changed.

Given Anjanath is a thick hided beast akin to a Tyrannosaurus Rex, it makes sense the armour is thick, grandiose and bulbous. Perhaps his hide is super light despite looking bulky, but it should be the perk that is amended, not the male armour design (unless the monsters traits are infused in the armour itself, eg Anjanath's stamina). There's no good reason the female variant is essentially a bra with the entire midriff showing, whilst the male version is full on armour, besides the female variant being designed to be perve worthy.

Of course there's always going to be disingenuous actors such as yourself who obfuscate this, and pretend like this gender discrepancy isn't more widespread or somewhat of a trend across more than just one design.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017
Is armor usually even gendered irl?

I feel like the only reason it's gendered in fiction is to have wwomenin various states of undress.
Ding ding ding, you got it. Honestly the Soulsborne series does it best: vast majority of armors are not gendered unless they have some kind of cultural significance, in which case it's used to make different designs, not just sexier ones. That's my big problem with MH, the designs never seem to be done for variety, they're done to be sexy.

Axelon

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Ding ding ding, you got it. Honestly the Soulsborne series does it best: vast majority of armors are not gendered unless they have some kind of cultural significance, in which case it's used to make different designs, not just sexier ones. That's my big problem with MH, the designs never seem to be done for variety, they're done to be sexy.
If they are trying to deliver sexy armor they are failing miserably

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, it's always been disappointing. Mainly because there are actually good looking female armors in there too. Like, they're aware how armors are supposed to work by designing both male and female armors similarly in a lot of designs, but at the same time they just can't resist to throw some fan service armors too in some other designs. It's inconsistent.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

If you look at each set for men, then the same set for women, you'll notice the second set generally has been altered to show more skin (thigh windows, chest windows, stomach windows, full-on bikinis). This is regardless of the type of set you're dealing with. Just by swapping the gender of your character, for the same exact set, you get differences that can only be explained by sexualization. Trying to argue that it's a non-issue because not all armors are practical or designed to showcase their benefits is really strange. It's completely irrelevant to the complaint.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Given Anjanath is a thick hided beast akin to a Tyrannosaurus Rex, it makes sense the armour is thick, grandiose and bulbous. Perhaps his hide is super light despite looking bulky, but it should be the perk that is amended, not the male armour design (unless the monsters traits are infused in the armour itself, eg Anjanath's stamina). There's no good reason the female variant is essentially a bra with the entire midriff showing, whilst the male version is full on armour, besides the female variant being designed to be perve worthy.

Of course there's always going to be disingenuous actors such as yourself who obfuscate this, and pretend like this gender discrepancy isn't more widespread or somewhat of a trend across more than just one design.

It's a little tiring to be consistently accused of not arguing in good faith. If you don't actually want to discuss this and just feel that you're right in whatever you post, feel free to write a blog post instead of on a discussion forum.

If you look at each set for men, then the same set for women, you'll notice the second set generally has been altered to show more skin (thigh windows, chest windows, stomach windows, full-on bikinis). This is regardless of the type of set you're dealing with. Just by swapping the gender of your character, for the same exact set, you get differences that can only be explained by sexualization. Trying to argue that it's a non-issue because not all armors are practical or designed to showcase their benefits is really strange. It's completely irrelevant to the complaint.

I was never arguing that there weren't sexualization problems with Monster Hunter's armor. I was arguing that "the female armor is so impractical because armor is for shielding you against harm" argument against it has no place in the context of Monster Hunter.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
A Japanese game with scantily clad women? Big surprise!

I agree with you that the armor is ridculous, but whereas some western developers have toned down their designs recently; Japanese ones, not so much. Even some armor sets that do fully cover are snug around the breasts to emphasize that you're playing as a woman.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
World actually makes most of the thigh gaps way worse because they turn the angle the camera takes whenever you crawl into upskirt shots.

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
So long as there is proper utilitarian armor available for male and female, I don't really care if there is also sexualized armor for either or both sexes.