• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
More or less, yep.

I came across The Minimalists and Marie Kondo's work back in 2015 and it really changed my life for the better. I've been saving money, spending less on things I don't need, and as such my living space is much, much cleaner and less stressful.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
Yea I do.

I was already not really a collector or hoarder, but after watching Minimalism (on Netflix) and seeing YT videos I went a little deeper in tidying up and removing random stuff in my house.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am quite minimalist. My apartment has nothing not needed or doesn't provide a clean look:

fYfkxKo.jpg

0cfNeRV.jpg

Even my fridge is minimalist:

nKN0KZX.jpg
I take it your favorite band is Huey Lewis and News? Do you feel that Sports is his best album?

As for my lifestyle, yes and no. Having a kid changes a lot of things plus if you have hobbies like camping or cooking you tend to gather a lot of crap.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I would like have have less junk but generally I like stuff.

Could never do total minimalism, that sounds boring af with regards to the things I'm interested in.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I implement a lot of the principles of minimalism in my life, but not to the extent that I would call myself a minimalist. I would say I'm on that trajectory though.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I'm more of the Marie Kondo 'if it sparks joy I keep it' over the last 3 years, and i've reduced my stuff to just what I need. Techwise, I have my phone, 3 games on disc, a PS3, an XB1, SNES Mimi, a kindle, a monitor which i hook up my consoles to and my laptop as my gadgets.

It's not nothing, but I had a 3 bedroom house with one room full of games as well as the attic. Got rid of amiibo, collectibles, collector's editions, games, CDs, blu rays (I think I have 5 of those left) and the only toys i kept are my Chrono Trigger figures and the Devastator Combiner Wars. I can probably get rid of the latter.

My goal is to say goodbye to even more stuff and be able to cram my beongings in 3 suitcases. Not close to that, but not that far off either.

It's great for me. Less stuff, less worries.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Something about the minimalism trend rubs me the wrong way. I think it has something to do with the weird moral way of life vibes people who subscribe to the lifestyle give off. You also have to be in a position of privilege, ironically, to start "getting into" minimalism, and I think that goes relatively unaddressed in what media I have seen about it.

You absolutely don't have to, I certainly wasn't. It's just that many are, which I really don't see any issue with. In American society we're told that when you start making money that you should spend it on useless junk to show off to everyone how successful you are, not save it, invest it, or donate it it to worthy causes. Hence why so many in this country are in horrible debt. There's nothing wrong with reminding folks who do make a decent living that there are alternatives to buying a needlessly big house and multiple cars.

Hell, ever since Marie Kondo's Netflix show premiered, there's been a surge in charitable giving in cities across the country.

I've lived below the poverty line for the last 4 years and minimalism has been a huge help for me. Prior to me finding minimalism what I little money I did have I was spending on shit I didn't need but wanted because it was a way to put up the illusion to people that I wasn't dirt poor. Minimalism helped me course-correct to being more mindful about what I spend my pennies on. Because minimalism is essentially an existential concept, it can be whatever you want it to be. As such it's something that can benefit everyone across the socioeconomic spectrum, rich or poor.

Last edited:

Jsunu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't subscribe to minimalism to a tee but I try to follow some of it's tenets. For me i just try not to accumulate to much stuff and keep things that are important to me.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Dear lord what a drama-queen. Lol, he TRAINED himself to wake up at 6? Haha.

I kinda like it when there isn't a mess. But this?..... whatever.

EDIT: lol.. i turned it off after a couple of seconds. Now i realize those first seconds were nonsense. Haha, i hated the guy.

Last edited:

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably tend toward minimalism if I lived alone; that's more how I lived when I was younger. That's very much not how my wife operates though, so that goes out the window. Beyond a general (if often futile) aversion to bringing more and more "stuff" into my life, I apply it in some specific areas—my wardrobe has been trending more minimal over the past few years, for example. Most of what I wear day-to-day is a few different variations on the same outfit, with multiples of the same piece (same tshirt, same oxford, etc.) just varied by color.

It's a constant battle, though, particularly depending on what different hobbies and activities you're trying to pursue, there can be a tendency to have the first step be acquiring the necessary tools/equipment. (Cooking, camping, fitness/sports, arts/crafts, etc. can all be bad for this.)

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
After stumbling onto the fantastic Matt D'Avella, who is by his own description a minimalist, I have fallen down the rabbit hole of researching the ethos behind this movement.

Is anyone living like this? I'd be super curious to know what's working for you, what's a struggle, and how it's changed your life and perspective. I can definitely acknowledge I have far too many possessions, although I have been making a conscious effort for several years to only buy what I need, as well as slowly working on purging things that aren't necessary.

Of course, shows like Marie Kondo are also pushing this narrative, although Marie has been preaching this for years...it's not a new concept at all.

The cynic in me thinks this wave of millennial minimalists are simply dressing up their lack of monetary capital...turning their brokeness into wokeness by painting their empty rooms white and adding a single green plant on the sill. I know that clearly there is a bigger movement here, but it's hard not to be a little jaded when some folk seem to be minimalist just for social media attention.

Anyways, I'm curious if anyone is embracing the lifestyle and how it's going.

I'm mostly working on becoming a minimalist, but that is because it has allowed me to pay off so much debt and gotten me to build my emergency fund and use the extra money for investing in my retirement portfolios. I didn't realize how much stupid shit I was buying until I stopped purchasing useless crap and realizing all of the extra money I had sitting in my bank account as a result. I'm currently paying off my student loans with all of the extra money and have changed my payoff from 10 years down to 2, then I am debt-free.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Kind of. I don't try to accrue material goods, and in fact I try to get rid of any items that I am not actively using. I have a cupboard full of old consoles that are the exception to the rule. I currently have most of the games, books, movies, etc that are worth anything listed on Amazon and local classified sites. I try to go as digital as possible with all of those items these days. I don't like clutter and try to avoid it as much as possible in my work space and personal space.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got kids, a wife, 3 houses, and we celebrate Christmas so aint nothing minimalist. I JUST put away like 40 snowmen decorations a few weeks ago.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Seems like luxurious life to me. I don't get what is so minimalist about it, items that are sold as minimalist design? Feels weird to watch the video and then see OP asking about struggle. There seems to be a lot of convenience items, not just necessary items in his kitchen too. What is minimalist about decorative pillows? The more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. What a fucking poser.

Last edited:

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
I stumbled onto Matt's videos awhile ago (he has a documentary on Netflix called The Minimalists which is pretty good), I would say I lead a fairly minimalistic lifestyle (not 100% by choice lol). After watching Matt's stuff I looked into a lot of minimalism stuff but I definitely don't and won't take it to extremes some people do because I still do like some stuff. If anything it's a helpful way to look at things and personal habits, I guess if you have a lot of money it's not as big of a deal but when your on a tight budget it can really help. When I really started focusing on my student loans I sat down and really budgeted and took a look at everything I would buy and spend and it was pretty shocking to go through some of the stuff I owned that I never use or touch in a very long time. It really is amazing how much money you can save questioning yourself about what your buying and how can you better manage things. It's funny Growing up I was into everything and had big collections of comics, games, anime and collectibles and now stuff like that means very little as I get older and find I don't need much to be happy. Working out great though student loan is half a year from being paid off and I've been saving some on the side to take a trip in the near future.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I like some rooms to be minimalist and "clean" looking.

Other rooms, I prefer the cozy look. Lots of rugs, pillows, blankets.

What I really hate are small trinkets that are purely decorative. Figurines, decorative plates, things that just go in a cabinet to be looked at and not seen. The only exception to this are things hung up on walls. Tapestries, pictures, posters.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any collections or anything that isn't immediately useful on a day to day basis, but brushing your teeth with your finger? Using a single bowl for coffee and cereal? That's a little ridiculous.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Nah, no interest in every being one either. I have a lot of hobbies and things I enjoy. No reason to live my one life stressed or missing out on lots of stuff in and outside my home.

3 kids means things are constantly in flux too. I'd hate to be that parent that tries to force kids into this kind of life. Although, I guess they wouldn't have anything to "make a mess" with, haha. Nothing like building anxiety into a little human for life. My fiancee already suffers from it a bit due to her mother.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't have any collections or anything that isn't immediately useful on a day to day basis, but brushing your teeth with your finger? Using a single bowl for coffee and cereal? That's a little ridiculous.
He does have a toothbrush, it was just a joke at the start of the video. I've used the same mug to eat cereal that I drink coffee from, not at the same time though. I do have a plate too I could eat cereal from, but doesn't often make sense to cause extra dishes just for the heck of it.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
I try in the Kondo sense of only buying what I need. I also recently threw away stuff that was broken but needed and bought a replacement so uh there's balance in the Force I guess.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
No and I never will. I personally think empty rooms look silly and are totally not my style. My house isn't full but I do and will continue to collect things. They bring me joy and I like them so no reason to get rid of them or stop collecting.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was a digital nomad for about 3.5 years, so everything I owned fit in a backpack. Since then, I've begun to buy more stuff. It's kind of annoying, actually. Need to do a purge at some point. I'm married now, so I'm not sure my wife would like it though.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
My partner and I, I suppose, both suffer from a mild form of Oniomania, and we're natural hoarders, but everything is stored away in cupboards and drawers.

So minimalist by sight, but not by nature.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I like a bit of stuff about. I like things tidy and clear but I'm quite happy with things on display.

Tabris apartment is nice enough at first glance, but I can't imagine living in it. It looks uncomfortable and cold. There isn't anything homey about minimalism to me
I am quite minimalist. My apartment has nothing not needed or doesn't provide a clean look:

fYfkxKo.jpg

0cfNeRV.jpg

Even my fridge is minimalist:

nKN0KZX.jpg

I don't mind the clean look as an abstract notion and apartments like this look nice in glossy brochures or CGI renders, but I can't imagine living like that. White furniture everywhere, nothing on the walls, echoing floors and walls, no softness. It looks uncomfortable, I mean that stylish white sofa can't be comfortable to sit on. You can't lean back properly, it's form over function.

I like things tidy and neat but I like to see some personality in a home, pictures of people and places, ornaments, stuff, a bit of colour. A sense of lives being lived within its walls, not people perched awkwardly on designer chairs staring at the blank white walls their breathing echoing off the hard surfaces everywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Count me as a cynic.

I'm very pro dialing down/adjusting consumption for environmental sustainability. I deeply respect the religious austerity that devout Jains, Buddhists, Quakers, etc. engage in. That has a moral and liberatory purpose. Secular youtube minimalism, from what I've seen, seems like more of a fad coping regime for late capitalist disenchantment. Many claim they're champions of Thoreau, but if they think his austerity was an ends in itself they've misread him entirely. Okay, you wear nothing but black turtlenecks and all of your shit fits in New Balance shoebox. Why and what now?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm married with no kids but I love my videogame collection. NO way I'm getting rid of that.
My wife was quite intrigued though about this Japanese single lady who lives in a small apartment with just one set of office clothes on a hanger, pajamas, set of shoes, house slippers, a single chair, a single burner, one pan with a lid and an iPad pro with a keyboard attachment + stylus and a spork and a set of chopsticks. No bed, just a futon. No change of clothes other than to go from office to home. No microwave nor fridge. Not sure if she even has a plate as I saw one post she just ate out of the pan.
That's insane to me but it sounds like she's happy, healthy and satisfied.

To be fair a lot stuff people used to need can be hidden away on that iPad.

We have a baby in a small flat so keeping things efficient is a necessity, but I think a 'minimalist' with a baby will need a fair amount of stuff. And I'm an architect. It seems like most people in the profession dress like that anyway.