• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you get The Switcher 3?

• Yes

Votes: 304 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 935 48.5%
  • Yes, but not at launch

Votes: 270 14.0%
  • Maybe later, if the price drops

Votes: 418 21.7%

• Total voters

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, you must be their favorite client! Imagine buying a game just because other people have issues with its frame-rate/performance.I know I wouldn't be able to do that. It's people like you who keep these games coming on the switch. Good shit dude, keep it up :). I'm sure many people appreciate your efforts. But yeah, unfortunately, i couldn't give less of a fuck how you waste your money though. *thumbs up*
I'm glad my efforts are affecting people like you ;)

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Will get the game later after beating DQ11s.
I do own it on PS4 but never actually completed it 'cos it's such a long ass game, maybe being portable I'll actually finish it this time.

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt I ever will because my PC runs it at a mix of high/max settings at 1440p ~90 FPS but I am going to watch everything Digital Foundry makes on this port.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
even if this was miraculously 4k 120fps my backlog can't take a 2nd 125 hour playthrough of the witcher 3 right now.

i might pick it up later if there's a lull in releases

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Maybe if it goes on sale on the eShop, but I'm not super interested in it at the moment. I've got enough to play over the next few months.

Meleina

Oct 25, 2017
I've never actually played it before so I thought I'd pick this up for the Switch! It's all paid off. I probably won't be able to start right away though. Still need to finish a few games before it.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I'm definitely interested, but I'm only 30% of the way into DQXIS and think I'll grab Ni No Kuni before Witcher, so I'll get it somewhere down the line but not at launch.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
gonna pick it up used later on, as i'm interested in the game but not very into the idea of giving my money to them (what with all of the transphobia controversies) - not shaming anyone who does, it just isn't something i feel personally comfortable with.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only if i can finish the last book I keep pushing back to read

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really, really tempted to. It's one of my favorite games but I've never played Blood and Wine, I've finished the main campaign once at launch and then a second time earlier this year, but by the time I finished the main story and Hearts of Stone I was feeling a little burnt out. I sold my Xbox since then and the Switch is currently my only system.

I'm debating getting it just to play through Blood and Wine but I'm really on the fence. It looks, way, way better than I would have expected... but it still looks pretty rough.

Hmm... is dragon quest that good????

I don't generally like JRPGs (Persona being the notable exception and even then they're not my favorite games, I didn't even finish 4 and 5 was a slog in some parts). I decided to give DQ11 a shot after watching the Tim Rogers review on YouTube and I've completely fallen in love with it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've already bought the game three times.

Once at launch, for PS4.

Later when I saw it on sale on PC, complete edition.

Later when I saw it on sale on Xbox, complete edition.

I've found with the subsequent purchases that I just completely lose motivation to progress further into the game after I finish the opening area, some 5 or so hours in. I went hard with the PS4 version at its launch and beat it within a month if it coming out, but I never played either of the DLCs, which is something I keep telling myself I'm going to do with my repurchases, but nah, not this time.

I'm kinda growing less and less confident in the bulk of AAA ports to Switch, too, and poor initial impressions of Dead Cells, Bloodstained, and River City Girls have all kind of soured me on indies, too, so I'm feeling more and more inclined to just stick to exclusives on the Switch. Witcher 3's technical record doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in the full fat Witcher 3 Switch experience, even if the recent showcases have been varied areas of the game and pretty positive takeaways, so I think I'm out, but maybe if the price gets incredibly low (like $10) I might feel swayed.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm 30 hours in on PC and loving the shit out of it, especially with HD textures and some QoL mods.
So, nah. I'm not gonna restart to have a worse experience.
Definitely a cool curiosity though, looking forward to seeing footage

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda growing less and less confident in the bulk of AAA ports to Switch, too, and poor initial impressions of Dead Cells, Bloodstained, and River City Girls have all kind of soured me on indies, too, so I'm feeling more and more inclined to just stick to exclusives on the Switch. Witcher 3's technical record doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in the full fat Witcher 3 Switch experience, even if the recent showcases have been varied areas of the game and pretty positive takeaways, so I think I'm out, but maybe if the price gets incredibly low (like $10) I might feel swayed.
Wait, River City Girls had issues on Switch?
not haters, just stating facts. For me personally i dont play non nintendo tripple a games on switch either, not if they are available else where.
I have various Triple A games on my Steam library, and can't wait to play them on Switch just because it's my prefered method to play. And I don't think they're stating facts when they so boldly proclaim that this game shouldn't be played on the Switch. I'm going to play it on that system just to spite them.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Severe slowdown after the opening area in almost every area of the game. Bad enough to drop or ignore inputs a lot of the time.

I also had two crashes, one wasn't a big deal, the other occurred literally as I got the animation startup for beating a boss I had been struggling with for an hour.

I straight up uninstalled the game right after that happened. My girlfriend was having such a good time that SHE bought the PS4 version and we played through and beat that version without any issues -- no slowdown, no crashes.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Severe slowdown after the opening area in almost area of the game.

I also had two crashes, one wasn't a big deal, the other occurred literally as I got the animation startup for beating a boss I had been struggling with for an hour.

I straight up uninstalled the game right after that happened. My girlfriend was having such a good time that SHE bought the PS4 version and we played through and beat that version without any issues -- no slowdown, no crashes.
Considering Wayforward was also involved with Bloodstained, could their staff be running into optimization issues? Strange, considering their Wii U output never had this problem.

I still don't have River City Girls but I might think of picking it up later. Hopefully it would be patched by then.

To bring it back to Witcher 3 on Switch, I forgot who was handling but I believe it's Saber Interactive. Going to bre bringing my impressions of the game once it's out.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Considering Wayforward was also involved with Bloodstained, could their staff be running into optimization issues? Strange, considering their Wii U output never had this problem.

That'd be my best theory, too -- I honestly didn't see anything about RCG that suggested that the Switch would have any issues running it well so it was pretty surprising and disappointing. I do hope they can patch that version up in the future because it is a fun and very replayable beat-em-up title when it works, but my experience was mostly frustrating and straight-up rage-inducing with its launch state. I can't imagine that RCG in particular CAN'T be optimized to run well on Switch, there's nothing on the front end that suggests complex engine problems under the hood, at least.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
That'd be my best theory, too -- I honestly didn't see anything about RCG that suggested that the Switch would have any issues running it well so it was pretty surprising and disappointing. I do hope they can patch that version up in the future because it is a fun and very replayable beat-em-up title when it works, but my experience was mostly frustrating and straight-up rage-inducing with its launch state. I can't imagine that RCG in particular CAN'T be optimized to run well on Switch, there's nothing on the front end that suggests complex engine problems under the hood, at least.
Could be RAM thrashing but hopefully it shouldn't be long for such issues to be sorted out. I recall Sonic Mania having similar issues at launch, but then the team went over the code and fixed the issues about a month in. I think Dead Cells also got an optimization patch as well too.

I'd suspect "The Switcher 3" will get a Day 1 patch providing even further optimization/bug fixing. I'm just glad that everything's in the gamecard.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
No, I already have two versions I haven't played much that I can play when I want instead of paying full price for a lesser version on Switch.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
"Lesser version" my ass. Same people also probably criticize Dragon Quest XI S on Switch for being "lesser" because it's on Switch.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
My favourite game of all time and having it on a cart on the Switch is very tempting, but i'll probably not buying it.
Too much to play and too little time.
But it is VERY tempting...

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
"Lesser version" my ass. Same people also probably criticize Dragon Quest XI S on Switch for being "lesser" because it's on Switch.

The art style in Dragon Quest XI is so radically different though and easier to replicate on the Switch without downgrading too much, The Witcher 3 is a whole new ball game.

As long as it isn't too compromised it should be just as enjoyable.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm playing Dragon Quest XI instead, might look into it next year when it's on sale but The Witcher's combat has never really appealed to me. I want to play through Pillars of Eternity and Divinity II first anyway, amongst others.

Having said that, I pretty much exclusively play RPGs and while fidelity is nice I've got no time for long ones that require you to be tethered to a screen any more. I'd like to pick it up just to see how it runs, I'm not particularly bothered by lower frame rates etc.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017

I have various Triple A games on my Steam library, and can't wait to play them on Switch just because it's my prefered method to play. And I don't think they're stating facts when they so boldly proclaim that this game shouldn't be played on the Switch. I'm going to play it on that system just to spite them.

You're way too invested in trying to defend this port, for who knows what reason. Just let it go. Neither of the first posts you quoted did anything near "boldly proclaim that it shouldn't be played on Switch", they both literally said that they wouldn't play it on there. You can't possibly be surprised that a lot of people consider it a lesser port when most visual(and I'd imagine performance) aspects are downgrades from all of the other versions right? A lot of people don't give a shit about portability.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people title threads like this? What do you expect the answer to be, no? Not one person on Era is going to pick up The Witcher 3 on Switch next week?

Anyway, I'm getting it because I love the game and find it mind-boggling that they've released a handheld version as true to the game as this.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
right now im leaning towards no, but im eargerly awaiting the DF video (and no, not to go "ha ha")

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm curious on how it'll be the reception, and if it'll be decent maybe one day I'll pick it up, but it never interested me and I even have a PS4.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
The constant repeats of "Inferior" or "superior" versions of the game despite the fact that it's the full game is what makes these types of posts seem disingenuous.

Its GRAPHICS are inferior due to the hardware and limited power (almost a tenth of the consoles pull) sure, but the game itself is feature complete for the hardware it's being made for, and many users have continuously passed off the port as the "the inferior one" constantly, and I took your post to be more of the same.

The inferior version of a game would be like DragonQuest XI for PS4, where the Switch got all the extra content and added plotlines and characters. That's content in a game. It's not like they're cutting DLC or Novigrad into a closed off section a la Skyrim to make the port happen. A game having less graphical power being equated to "inferior" is a problem I see too often when discussing games and their price points in general. I've harped on about that when talking about games like Octopath and others where people shit on their price tag or something for their graphics styles being different, but that's a tangential topic.

Regardless anyone using the superior inferior comparison is almost 99.9% of the time talking about graphics, and about equal amount of that percentage is always to the crowd who already knows the graphical sacrifices that CDPR have been open about when discussing porting, and know what they're sacrificing power and graphics for. So these types of posts still come off as drivebys.

EDIT: In the time it took me to type that someone else already said they got the "better" version already. So yeah I'd say all these posts sound the same after a while.
It happens EVERY switch port related thread. Switch can never win on graphics department.

Funny thing you don't see same inferior talk if the game is released on XB1, PS4 and PC when the console versions are "inferior" compared to PC.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
The problem with The Witcher 3 is the timing. All of us in the this thread have bought at least one full price and somehow lengthy game since June on Switch and many are gearing up for Pokémon in a month. The Witcher 3, just like Dragon Quest XIs and Divinity 2 kinda were released almost arbitrarily inbetween. Given the insane release schedule these last 100 days, it's no surprise many of us want to favour the freshest and most exclusive content.

Of course, I am assuming that ERA actually wants to buy Pokémon, maybe I am wrong.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yes because it is interesting from a technical perspective and witcher 3 can be played multiple times. i will make different choices this time around.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Nah, I played it for like 300 hours on the PC and did pretty much everything.

Excited for people playing it for the first time, though. It's the GOAT.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Draw distance looks disgusting*; going from 1440p 100+fps on a 2080 to the Switch version, i'm curious to see how it looks and plays on Switch, so i'm picking it up.

*It looks the same LOD as DQ11 which i've been playing a lot of on Switch, where it only really renders what's in-front of you in open places.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The lesser version is the one that I don't play; thus, the one in my PC right now.
I personally have shit to do in life, and it doesn't include being tethered to a couch for 100+ hours.
We all know that the switch version will run at a lower resolution, with some cutbacks here and there (and honestly not that much). But it's still the full game, and the sale experience overall. Being able to play it on long intercontinental flights, or in the hotel room with the dock, or at lunch time, or at home the few times it's possible, make it the best version for a good proportion of us.
Calling a game "lesser" in that context really doesn't make sense.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
I will have it giftd to me as a belated birthday present from my boyfriend. Since I don't own a pc or a PS4 or an XBOX, this is the only way I could play this game. I'm super hyped. I can play it while I cook, too, that's a plus.
I'm just scared that I can't figure out the controls or something ^^

Oct 27, 2017
The thing for me is, yes, I've already played it on PS4 (although not the expansion) but I never completed it - I just didn't have the time to sit down in front of the telly and play it. What I'm finding with my Switch Lite is that I'm picking the thing up quite often to squeeze in 10/15 minute sessions. On the commute, before I go to bed, a couple of hours on a longer train journey yesterday, on the bog. It's really changed how I play.

And I can't imagine Witcher 3 portable, that's very exciting to me. I'm still excited by handheld versions of my favourite games. I'm finding the smaller screen on Lite is really flattering for lots of games so I'm very interested to see if it's a mitigating factor on the 540p resolution.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole game fits on the game card, so physical makes a ton of sense.

This - I have the game on. PS4 but struggle to get main TV screen time so have never really got that far in it
Also have a 400GB card in my switch that filled up over a year ago, however with quick downloads and Nintendo's smart archiving and easy selection find installing games as needed no problem - but games of this size have a large impact obviously
However any.large game where it's ALL on the cart is a no brainier for me tbh (Very few big name ports have managed this) as I've wanted to give the game proper Dedicated time a long time, having just finished act 1 of DQXI I should be ready for it in the next week or 2 also :)

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Already 100% and Platinumed on PS4 years ago, expansions included. Really loved it but I dont feel the idea to play it on switch downgraded and on the go. Its the kind of experience I prefer to play 1 time and at his best.