• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you get The Switcher 3?

• Yes

Votes: 304 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 935 48.5%
  • Yes, but not at launch

Votes: 270 14.0%
  • Maybe later, if the price drops

Votes: 418 21.7%

• Total voters

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who's been playing it able to shed light on the performance? I've got the game more or less untouched on my gaming/development pc but I just can't really bring myself to play on it if there's the option of booting it up in bed or on the train, despite the softer visuals. The only thing I'll really struggle with is an inconsistent frame rate.

TLDR: hey guys, how does it run?

from analysis videos it looks like gameplay holds at a mostly consistent 30 except when there are a lot of shadows (e.g riding through a sunlit forest) or when too many particles are happening, and the drops seem to only be a few frames. this is all pre-day 1 patch, so who knows if those will be smoothed out

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I've put in a total of 4 hours (just beat the griffin). Besides the fact that the game is GOAT, I think it looks pretty good! It's a very impressive conversion. I think it could definitely be the best looking game on the Switch. This is definitely quite a but more impressive than DOOM, Wolfenstein 2 and DQXI S are, for sure.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, but not at Launch. I still have to many games and I need to get Luigi's Mansion 3 first ;) But I will definitely get The Witcher 3 later for the Nintendo Switch!

Plum

May 31, 2018
Didn't come today despite already being dispatched. Seems like I can't ever get things early :(

I've put in a total of 4 hours (just beat the griffin). Besides the fact that the game is GOAT, I think it looks pretty good! It's a very impressive conversion. I think it could definitely be the best looking game on the Switch. This is definitely quite a but more impressive than DOOM, Wolfenstein 2 and DQXI S are, for sure.

How do you think it compares to Wolfenstein 2 (which I've heard is similar to Youngblood which I have played) in terms of bluriness? Youngblood was definitely playable but the resolution definitely got a bit too low at times and it ended up making a mess of some story scenes; if it's better than that then I'd say it's a success.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yes. It will be the only game (except from free-to-play ones) that I will own in all platforms and beat it. <3

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The best thing about this release is that it will get people talking about the incredible writing, characters and sidequests in the game.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
Played for 30min, only handheld mode. Feels like some kind of wizardry, lol.
Glad to be able to jump to the expansions, going to play a bit more of the beginning to refresh on the controls and then jump to blood and wine since its the one I didnt play.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
At first I was no I am ok with the PC version... But now, I feel like playing it on switch will be great and I'll be preloading it this weekend.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
I want to purchase it cause it's one of my favorites games of all time, and having the opportunity to play it on the go is a huge no brainer for me. However, I'm really debating whether to buy at launch or just wait for a price sale or later. There are too many games I want to play right now and new games that will be releasing soon that I'm interested on, plus no enough time.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I want to purchase it cause it's one of my favorites games of all time, and having the opportunity to play it on the go is a huge no brainer for me. However, I'm really debating whether to buy at launch or just wait for a price sale or later. There are too many games I want to play right now and new games that will be releasing soon that I'm interested on, plus no enough time.

No real rush to pay $60 for this when you've already finished it before.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I received mine today. The game looks amazing, even on my 1080p 32" monitor. I also have it on PC but i very much prefer to play it on switch. At least, I'll have a chance to finish it.
It runs great so far, but really, it's the visuals I'm the most impressed with. We need more of these ports!

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got it today alongside both Beamdog RPG collections. Playing exclusively handheld. Framerate holds up pretty well but there is definite drops when a new cutscene starts but quickly settles down. Seems loading related for those.
Game looks as good as you can expect from the hardware, sometimes better than you expect. You can also disable Motion Blur and Blur in the settings.
Haven't gotten deep enough into proper combat yet but I was able to complete training with it feeling as responsive as Witcher 3 can. (I personally switched movement to alternative)

Mainly picked up this on Switch because its a port that shouldn't exist and I love this kind of thing (Xenoblade 3DS is another example) and I can't wait to dig into this properly.

SnowBird

Jan 26, 2019
anyone will pick up Witcher 3 on the Lite? Pls share your experience playing on Lite, hope its fun and awesome, and wont lag compared to the bigger Switch due to weaker cpu?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Didn't come today despite already being dispatched. Seems like I can't ever get things early :(

How do you think it compares to Wolfenstein 2 (which I've heard is similar to Youngblood which I have played) in terms of bluriness? Youngblood was definitely playable but the resolution definitely got a bit too low at times and it ended up making a mess of some story scenes; if it's better than that then I'd say it's a success.
I can't compare from personal experience with Wolf 2 and DOOM, but I can give you some personal impressions compared to DQXIS. IMO, Witcher 3 holds up very well in resolution compared to that one, being even a little better at times.
anyone will pick up Witcher 3 on the Lite? Pls share your experience playing on Lite, hope its fun and awesome, and wont lag compared to the bigger Switch due to weaker cpu?
Switch OG and Switch Lite have the same internal power, no need to worry about eorse performance on Lite for any game.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Novigrad screenshots:
EGvtGLzU4AAZgda

EGvtGMvVAAEdAhq

EGvtGMtUUAIOcHE

EGvtGMqU4AAHY8v

EGvuWmeVUAAVT6J

EGvuWmtUYAIj539

EGvuWmaVUAAmMOe

Bonus: A look at Yennefer on handheld:

EGvuWmDU0AEO6VO

Character models are superb throughout. Yennefer's such a captivating appearance and personality, a brilliantly designed character.

Edit: A few more:

Last edited:

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I am, not really going to play it but I feel that I should give my money to support projects like these and to reward CD Project so I will purchase it.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018

I suspect the Lite will be the best way to play due to the higher pixel density. My handheld experience so far is great (although I fully accept there is compromise) and I have an OG Switch, with the even smaller screen at a higher pixel density I can imagine a lot more of the "imperfections" are even less noticeable.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Im basically of the same thought. Will probably wait.

Feb 15, 2018
I have completed the base game on PS4. Would I be able to jump in to the expansions straight away on Switch, or would I need to make substantial progress in the base game again before being at a suitable level?
I know it would be much cheaper to just get the expansions on PS4 before anyone points this out, it's just I would much rather play this handheld. I would really like it physical as it's one of my favourite games of all time. The expansion content is substantial enough to justify the purchase right? Like 40 hours or so?

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I have completed the base game on PS4. Would I be able to jump in to the expansions straight away on Switch, or would I need to make substantial progress in the base game again before being at a suitable level?
I know it would be much cheaper to just get the expansions on PS4 before anyone points this out, it's just I would much rather play this handheld. I would really like it physical as it's one of my favourite games of all time. The expansion content is substantial enough to justify the purchase right? Like 40 hours or so?

You can just play the expansions. Gives you the option at the main title screen.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018

I only played Heart of Stone and it's around 10-15h. Blood and Wine I think it's longer if you do all the side stuff, 30h I've read.
But Heart of Stone in so good, I think only that alone makes it worth it. Quality of the quests/story even better than the base game.
I mostly got the Switch release to play Blood and Wine and you can jump directly into it.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just played some Witcher 3 this morning while pooping and it was pretty neato.

Looks really damn impressive to me in portable mode. I'm only like an hour and half into the game, but I'm mighty impressed already and is one of those games that just sort of makes me go "damn, I love the Switch". Just feels like a real achievement that this exists.

storophanthus

Nov 27, 2018
Yes, I was only 8 hours in on PC version.

Couldn't finish it because it is not safe-playing it with kids around, and mainly because I spend most of my time outside home.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Was there as much negativity surrounding the release of The Witcher 2 on xbox360? I never played it but it seems that the general perception is that it was a great port; but from what I've seen, it was also much more compromised than The Witcher 3 Switch (which by the way days a lot about the difference between a switch and an xbox360).