• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's even remotely possible to predict. Violence and social order may not even be concepts that apply to the aliens.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
It's somewhat embarrassing but despite purchasing the 4K UHD Arrival I have not seen the movie all of the way through.

I have fallen asleep each time I have attempted to watch it. This makes me sad because it seems really interesting in concept.

The funny thing is that I had the same issue with Inception.

Anyway that was entirely off topic. I think if aliens did show up it would be unlike anything represented on film.

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
My biggest issue with Arrival is Sapir-Whorf, the theory used as the primary drive in the film, has been highly disproven.

Otherwise, it's a great flick. ^_^

Well, among human languages. I'm sure the process to perceive a non-human, or non-terrestrial language more specifically, would have more weight behind the possibility. If anything, any sort of alien film is already an issue because of the fact that we are perceiving them with little effort. I would think it's not as simple as seeing a being.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
It certainly has, but for human languages and brains. It's entirely possible that alien language works differently and Amy Adams's character somehow tapped into it.

Handwave-y scifi theories like that quiet the (amateur) knowledge of linguistics I have from interfering with the film. Still loved the movie, and even if Sapir-Whorf is bunk, I like it as a analogy for empathy. Amy Adams puts the effort into communicating with and learning about the aliens and is therefore able to see the universe and time as they do.

Well, among human languages. I'm sure the process to perceive a non-human, or non-terrestrial language more specifically, would have more weight behind the possibility. If anything, any sort of alien film is already an issue because of the fact that we are perceiving them with little effort. I would think it's not as simple as seeing a being.
Very astute observations from both of you. I hadn't considered it on terms outside of human language, which is funny since that's what the entire movie dealt with. I definitely like the empathy idea. I will dial down my "linguistic indignation" in light of a really fun narrative. ^_^

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
You mean despite the presence of aliens we still somehow make the whole thing about us and how we feel?

Yeh it's pretty realistic.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt an interstellar species would actually be all that interested in Earth, or humanity, beyond information gathering. It's unlikely they would be facing any scarcity issues that would require taking over Earth. Any material they need is just as easily found elsewhere in the galaxy on the hundreds of billions of other planets.

It doesn't have to be about resources, they could just consider all other intelligent forms of life inferior and their beliefs demand our destruction or just reasons beyond our understanding.

That's the thing about aliens, their beliefs and values will most likely be "alien". It's something a lot of science fictions seems to forget.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As others said, District 9 it is. Immediately treated as dangerous illegal migrants, closed in some freaking ghetto in inhuman conditions. When misery generates anger and crime, get back in there with soldiers and go hard on their asses. If peaceful aliens came by, chances are this would legit happen in a lot of countries given their stance on immigration. The only added part would be them making gazillions by selling the alien tech or the license for other countries' scientists to check out the ship.

Arrival is a fantastic movie but in today's climate I honestly doubt it would take this long for someone to force their way in or downright attack them.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
My biggest issue with Arrival is Sapir-Whorf, the theory used as the primary drive in the film, has been highly disproven.

Otherwise, it's a great flick. ^_^
Isn't it only the extreme version of the Sapir-Whorf Theory that's considered bunk? I thought the basic idea behind it was generally considered true considering the words and concepts that can't be expressed in some languages but can in others?

OS_

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Depends entirely on the motives and predisposition of the aliens.

Perhaps Coneheads, Mars Attacks!, Predator, or Aliens are the most accurate version of events.

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, for all we know they might be right among us already. Playing our video games, listening to our tunes, watching our movies and laughing at our half-assed depictions of them in Star Trek and Star Wars.

Ensirius

Oct 26, 2017
I have to say as a linguist who has worked on developing tools to break down language walls this movie was actually kind of amazing as it shows work some form of the work I would personally be able to do if the aliens visited us

Overall a fantastic movie with great performances

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. Rather something like independance day where the Aliens are hostile from the get go. If a species that is so advanced they can travel through space makes intended contact with a species still in it's technological infancy it is probably not for a conversation on eye level, but for taking resources (water and whatnot, people as workforce).
Space traveling aliens would look at us like humans look at ants.

But the depiction in Arrival would probably be the ideal way.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Not really. Based on humanity so far, it will take either the destruction of earth, or the search for resources to get us into space. If other aliens suffer from the same problems, then first contact will be based on one of the above two reasons.

Best case scenario. Aliens looking for resources, find earth and decide to leave us be. Worst case they try to wipe us all out.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If aliens need our resources, they are enough like us that they've (at some point) encountered the same problems with space travel that we have.

Nightcall

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it only the extreme version of the Sapir-Whorf Theory that's considered bunk? I thought the basic idea behind it was generally considered true considering the words and concepts that can't be expressed in some languages but can in others?

Linguistic determinism, which is the strong version of it, is pretty bunk, but there's a lot of good and recent research on linguistic relativism. And in the context of the movie, where we are dealing with a complete different species, even the strong version makes a lot of sense.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the aliens are "good" - Childhood's End would be my pick. If they are "bad" - it wouldn't work as a movie, because I'm pretty sure they could've destroyed us in a blink of an eye.

Oct 26, 2017
Hostile aliens don't really work. Interstellar civilization could vaporize the surface of the earth without us ever noticing, or , if they want to kill only people, engineer a virus or a nanomachine that kill only humans.

"War" with gods work only in JRPGS. In case of the actual event, i doubt anyone would even realize.

Deleted member 59

Independence Day is, up until the last 20 minutes at least.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Let's get one thing out of the way. . . aliens DO NOT need "our" resources. This is not a matter of opinion; it's an energy equation. The Earth is zipping around in a deep gravity well. In the simplest terms, it's kind of like saying, "I'm running low on gas and I live in Chicago; well, there ought to be a gas station in Utah." Not only might you run out just trying to get there (depends on the ship's needs, which I can't fathom), there are better options along the way. Bear in mind any alien ship would be exploring the system outside-in, so look at all this good stuff just sitting there, no nasty life forms guarding it, and much farther from Sol's gravitational influence. If you want hydrogen, there's Neptune. If you still use hydrocarbons, Titan's got lakes of them just sitting on the surface. Water? Mine Pluto, or Enceladus. And the best part? All these places are uninhabited. In fact, they could strip mine Titan and not only would we be powerless to stop them, would anyone with money or power even care? Aliens visiting Earth to gas up is one of those neat-sounding ideas that shrivels up and dies if you study science for five minutes.
So the only real appeal is the reason we want to go out and discover aliens ourselves -- curiosity. But even in this regard they could observe us for quite some time a safe distance out, and although they could curb-stomp us with superior tech, figure we're too primitive and violent to interact with directly. It'd be like scientists studying the Sydney funnel-web spider but going full Jane Goodall and living with them. You'd learn a lot, but there are much safer ways of getting the same information.
I'm not sure any movie depicts the complete and utter annihilation of humanity with no hope for retaliation. It's likely we'd be wiped out before we even knew we were being attacked. Any being capable of interstellar travel would have access to weapons of unimaginable power, and they would likely be able to outsmart us at every turn if they decided on a ground invasion.
This flatters the human species considerably. You wouldn't need to outsmart humans; we're literally defenseless from outer space by choice. Just alter the trajectory of a KBO or comet to intersect with Earth and wait a few decades. Or use an asteroid, if you're impatient. Odds are higher we'd detect it, but there wouldn't be enough time to do anything about it. We are aware of these threats -- it happens naturally FFS -- but no country on Earth is funding any sort of defense against what we know killed off the dinosaurs. Nor is there any collective effort to do so. The scientists are trying but no one's funding their efforts. We are spending billions on sports arenas, so there's that.

Last edited:

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Let's get one thing out of the way. . . aliens DO NOT need "our" resources. This is not a matter of opinion; it's an energy equation. The Earth is zipping around in a deep gravity well. In the simplest terms, it's kind of like saying, "I'm running low on gas and I live in Chicago; well, there ought to be a gas station in Utah." Why would anyone do that? I mean, it might pay off, depends on what they need, but there are better options along the way, including farther out in the solar system. If you want hydrogen, there's Neptune. If you still use hydrocarbons, Titan's got lakes of them just sitting on the surface. Water? Mine Pluto, or Enceladus. And the best part? All these places are uninhabited. In fact, they could strip mine Titan and not only would we be powerless to stop them, would anyone with money or power even care? Also, bear in mind that any alien ship would enter the system from the outside, so it'd have to pass by all this stuff just to get to Earth anyway. Aliens visiting Earth to gas up is one of those neat-sounding ideas that shrivels up and dies if you study science for five minutes.
So the only real appeal is the reason we want to go out and discover aliens ourselves -- curiosity. But even in this regard they could observe us for quite some time a safe distance out, and although they could curb-stomp us with superior tech, figure we're too primitive and violent to interact with directly. It'd be like scientists studying the Sydney funnel-web spider but going full Jane Goodall and living with them. You'd learn a lot, but there are much safer ways of getting the same information.
This flatters the human species considerably. You wouldn't need to outsmart humans; we're literally defenseless from outer space by choice. Just alter the trajectory of a KBO or comet to intersect with Earth and wait a few decades. Or use an asteroid, if you're impatient. Odds are higher we'd detect it, but there wouldn't be enough time to do anything about it. We are aware of these threats -- it happens naturally FFS -- but no country on Earth is funding any sort of defense against what we know killed off the dinosaurs. Nor is there any collective effort to do so. The scientists are trying but no one's funding their efforts. We are spending billions on sports arenas, so there's that.

You are forgetting one resource that isn't as common or easy to grab in the rest of the universe.

Slaves.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, governments would definitely try to kill it first and then District 9 would happen.

Figuring out the language and communicating with them would be low on the priority list for most people in power, unfortunately.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah Arrival is too hopeful. Full global religious war would be more likely with hundreds of millions dead. Humans don't respond well to their bubble being popped.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
One way to think about this is that what would we do if we went to a different planet that had intelligent life, life that is below us in development.

If we came with good intent

- We probably wouldn't just land somewhere, that would risk being attacked
- We probably wouldn't just fly the skies, we'd probably test first for defence systems and reactions with drones that are easy enough to detect
- We probably wouldn't just hover and try to communicate, since that's quite ineffective
- We probably would send some kind of a drone lander with messaging and artefacts explaining who we are, where we come from, and that we come in peace
- We probably would set up a diagram illustration of what we think a friendly meeting would look like, and what the other species can do to communicate their willingness to one
- We would wait quite long between first arrival (drones), first communication (using technology) and actual first face to face meeting

If we came with ill intent
- We would just drop super weapons out of nowhere, and not announce our identity or presence, just wipe out everything and then land

So what actually would happen probably wouldn't make a very good film.

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is one of the worst sci fi movies I have ever seen. The last third was cringe and I honestly don't get the praise it received.

The story is also unrealistic in every way.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Tyranid invasion comes to mind. The aliens have a greater chance of being nothing more than animals or advanced bacteria instead of an intellectual race that has conquered space travel.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
It's impossible to say. Independence Day could be the most "accurate" version of what would happen. District 9, Body Snatchers, etc...

It would all depend on how the aliens arrived, how technologically advanced they were, and what their intentions might be. Unless you're just talking about the science portrayed in these movies.

Last edited:

Keltic

Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
Personally reckon they have been, saw and quarantined the planet due to mass insanity, possibly contagious imbecility and for generally being morons hell bent on our own destruction.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think what was inaccurate is that in order to communicate Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner would have to strip, bare-ass naked to engage with the aliens. Anything less is soft-sci-fi.