• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The movie brandishes itself as some kind of comedy but it's really quite depressing and the entire cast apart from Malkovich are irredeemable selfish monsters.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
tumblr_mxe8veyncd1r8bxs1o1_500.gif

It's such a good movie.

this was unscripted by the way. one of the dudes on the truck just thought it would be funny and they kept the take.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need any John Malcovich experience to enjoy. Be sure to watch the spiritual sequel, Adaptation next!

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
That's just an urban legend. There's footage of them setting up the shot, and Malkovich confirmed in an AMA that it was scripted.

Strange. I remember watching something where they had people on the crew confirm it was the idea of one of the people on the truck.

Maybe the unscripted part was the myth and the only real part was the idea came from one of those guys.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Strange. I remember watching something where they had people on the crew confirm it was the idea of one of the people on the truck.

Maybe the unscripted part was the myth and the only real part was the idea came from one of those guys.

I'm pretty sure the entire thing is just a story created because it sounds interesting and believable.

Malkovich's quote was
on the contrary, spike jonze wanted to cut it because we were late that night and he felt no one would be able to hit me on the head with a half full can of beer from a passing car, and about 70 or 80 sets of hands shot up on the crew saying they would like to try. eventually the task fell to johnny cusack's writing partner and he nailed it on the first try.

Link to the AMA: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...john_malkovich_ama/cazxety/?context=8&depth=9

The scene is also in the script.

It's a very, very widely spread story, but it doesn't seem to be true.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The movie brandishes itself as some kind of comedy but it's really quite depressing and the entire cast apart from Malkovich are irredeemable selfish monsters.
Lotti is a sweetheart though.

edit: that one of the jokes is no one remembers what movie's he's actually starred in is even better if you're in the same boat.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My goodness, I'm most of the way through and can't finish it tonight but it's a romp lol

I'll make sure to check out High Fidelity and maybe Adaptation.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I wish we had more movies like this, Kaufman is a genius and "Synecdoche, New York" is surely his most, pure, beautiful and depressing movie, it's hard to find something like that.

(have to admit I was a bit disappointed by Anomalisa tho, and didn't know he did a mew movie too, realising very soon, cool <3 )

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, it's one of the most stressful movies I've ever seen. Like the first 30-40 minutes is just a barrage of strange, tense situations.

Kaufman is really brilliant at writing socially anxious characters, and the way the world reacts to the main character is a great example of that. It's just the worst possible outcome of every situation, the stuff you imagine might happen even if it obviously never would in the real world. But it feels plausible enough to get under your skin.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched this and High Fidelity at about the same time and that was awkward.

That's crazy as hell man. I watched Ghsot Dog and Rogue One and The Last King of Scotland around the same time a couple years back. Imagine if I would have watched The Shield and Panic Room too... awkward to say the least.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
The scene is also in the script.

It's a very, very widely spread story, but it doesn't seem to be true.

This is slightly disappointing as having that be spontaneous is such a better story but I'm not surprised.

I watch the film any time I stumble across it regardless of what part it's at which puts it up there for me as I try to avoid movies in progress. I didn't know who he was really when I first saw it and I agree that's part of why it works so well.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Because of this thread, and it being Covid, and my being uninterested in a lot of media lately, I went back to watch both Adaptation and Synecdoche, New York.

My feelings on Adaptation are still mixed years later. I do think that the film's problems are discussed during the film, which is interesting. However, I would have liked it if they had removed those things entirely.

Voice over, for example. Narrator inclusion, etc.

However, it does tap into the aches and pains of being a creative person with writer's block and taking a left turn to develop something.

Now, on the flip side. Synecdoche, New York, I love. It is such a good movie if you truly think that some people are able to produce works of art so mysterious that it can become incomprehensible. Because the act of creation, to bring something from the mind into reality, is an act of madness on its own.

The themes of this movie are everything. The arcs of this movie are perfectly placed. The characters. The actors. The actor's actors.

Simply sublime.

I really miss movies like this.

However, on TV I've enjoyed Man Seeking Woman, Undone, and to a lesser extend Manic.

If there are other recommendations in this space, lmk! (Sorry to hijack this thread into the psychosis film thread.)