• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
🤔

I'm sure it's good either way but like the only Malkovich movies I've seen are Burn After Reading , Johnny English (lol), Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Eragon (lol) and all of those are after 1999

Are there a ton of references to his other stuff or not really

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
yeah a pretty good movie that sort of heralded the mid-2000s post-ironic-detachment indie wave.

Basically all the context that is required is that he is a famous actor.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All that matters is he is a somewhat known actor.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
How can you not know who he is before seeing this movie?? At least watch Con Air! That's all you need to know.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Was the first John Malkovich movie I saw. It's still one of my favorite movies of all time. Thought he was just a character made up for the movie when I first saw it.

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
Charlie Kaufman is one of the greatest, most original, screenwriters ever. So you should definitely watch it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the less familiar you are with john malkovich the more the movie "works" imo

it's the joke, he's just some random character actor. It's not "being al pacino" or "being tom cruise" or hell even "being scott baio" would miss the point

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Yes, absolutely. Not knowing who he is was kind of the point. He was just one of those character actors who showed up in a bunch of movies, arguably "Being John Malkovich" is why most people even know or remember his name. Not that he's not a great actor, but there are to ton of great actors who aren't household names.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's fine. You don't even really need to know he's a real person for the plot to work since it's established early he's an actor. I can't remember where the story is, but when John Malkovich read the script he said he thought it was a joke and when his agent told him it was real he was horrified that someone would write something like this and kind of freaked out lmao. Kaufman was kind of unknown at the time and I think Jonze was only known as a music video director afaik, so it's kind of amazing that it happened at all lol.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Make sure to play Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Exo Zombies in its totality first. That gives you the context you need.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Please watch it, its bonkers and incredible in all the right ways

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It's Charlie Kaufman's writing nearly at it's best, yes you can still enjoy the movie without being that familiar with John Malkovich.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
When i watched the movie i seen some movies he's in

It works as long as you know he's a famous actor

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I didn't know anything about the movie and I wasn't too familiar with him as an actor when I saw it for the first time. Definitely one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen. Definitely also recommend though!

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
When I watched this movie in high school, I didn't even realize that he was playing himself or that John Malkovich was a real person at all. Still liked it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really work without seeing the jewel thief movie he was great in.

For real though, I imagine OP is going to be shocked at how different their conception of the film and what it actually is are. It's way more John Cusack and Catherine Keener's movie.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
You literally don't need to know anything other than his name. The movie isn't really about him

May 24, 2019
The point is just that he's an acclaimed real world actor. You don't really need more than that.

edit: And watch Con Air already!

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
God it would have been hilarious/fascinating to be in the room when Kaufman/Jonze pitched this film to John Malkovich.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
It's fine. You don't even really need to know he's a real person for the plot to work since it's established early he's an actor. I can't remember where the story is, but when John Malkovich read the script he said he thought it was a joke and when his agent told him it was real he was horrified that someone would write something like this and kind of freaked out lmao. Kaufman was kind of unknown at the time and I think Jonze was only known as a music video director afaik, so it's kind of amazing that it happened at all lol.
I feel that's a completely appropriate reaction, why did he even agree. The film is one of the weirdest I've seen.

Nov 8, 2017
I watched it with a bunch of people who thought he was made up for the movie and they still loved it. Was wild when I told them lol.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Now I'll have to rewatch. I remember when it came out and knew who he was from Of Nice and Men. Interestingly enough I've watched both RED movies the last few days and enjoyed his performance in those.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this and High Fidelity at about the same time and that was awkward.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Just saw it, loved it
tumblr_mxe8veyncd1r8bxs1o1_500.gif

It's such a good movie.