• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
You can't prove it though, can you? The point is that whoever owns the trademark almost always owns the IP, but without having access to the contract, we can never be sure.
It's not about owning the trademark, it's that Sony asked for the project and produced the game with the deal that it would be exclusive to their platform. Sure you can say I can't prove that they own the IP, but there's more than enough proof as to why one would assume so.

Especially considering the situation with Demon Souls. Either way it's a pointless argument when the outcome is the same. Bloodborne won't ever see a release on a non PlayStation platform unless in the unlikely event Sony goes the MS route and publishes their games on PC.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see From agreeing if they're allowed to self publish the game on Steam at a later date.
Yeah this is the only way I ever see it happening again unless the moneyhat is so blatant Sony might as well have bought FS, which for a 3 mil game lifetime just isn't worth it vs just doing something in house. A lot of people miss the fact when demanding bb2 that FS signed the deal and started work on bb before DS1 pc came out and sold over 5 million copies. Fs is never going to willingly leave that kind of money on the table again, unless like I said the moneyhat is outrageous.

This is why if it does happen I could see it being outsourced to someone or handled internally at an expanded jpn studio, but not fs proper.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It's not about owning the trademark, it's that Sony asked for the project and produced the game with the deal that it would be exclusive to their platform. Sure you can say I can't prove that they own the IP, but there's more than enough proof as to why one would assume so.

Especially considering the situation with Demon Souls. Either way it's a pointless argument when the outcome is the same. Bloodborne won't ever see a release on a non PlayStation platform unless in the unlikely event Sony goes the MS route and publishes their games on PC.
I don't believe there will ever be a BB2, if there was, I don't believe it would be on PC. However, I think his point was that if the choice for Sony was From will make the game if they get to publish it on PC later, or never make it, Sony might allow it. Which I don't really agree with, however, Death Stranding is a potential example showing Sony might have softened in a similar situation.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
If I had to guess, I would say it's going to happen - when is the question. No way Sony and From guaranteed leave money on the table. The game was so well praised by gamers and reviewers that it would be blasphemy not to make a sequel.

I had an absolute blast with this game. One of my favorites this generation for sure so I hope they make another one.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess, I would say it's going to happen - when is the question. No way Sony and From guaranteed leave money on the table. The game was so well praised by gamers and reviewers that it would be blasphemy not to make a sequel.

I had an absolute blast with this game. One of my favorites this generation for sure so I hope they make another one.

So is literally every souls game lol, Bloodborne isn't special in that regard

Oct 27, 2017
If BB2 is to BB1 what DS2+DS3 was to DS1...better keep it. Nioh has raised the bar for Soulslike-Combat so high that I can't go back to Souls.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Read my last post. It's less about the game being a solid seller and more about time and revenue long term vs a different investment. From has to weigh doing a deal with Sony on an exclusive title vs the revenue self publishing (now possible after buyout) a game for ps4, bone, and pc will bring them as they have limited man power to dedicate to such projects. Would a bb2 exclusive to one platform produce more revenue /For fs/ than a new title self published? If it never happens then we know the answer fs came to, which considering the outstandingly solid sales of the ultra barebones pc versions they put out I doubt they ever give up those sales again.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope not. I felt like the Bloodborne theme was played out by the end of it all.

From should move on and just make another Souls style game in a different setting.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
So is literally every souls game lol, Bloodborne isn't special in that regard
It's special IMO because it's an exclusive game and they partnered with the leading console manufacturer. But yes, every Souls game is the shiznit.

Read my last post. It's less about the game being a solid seller and more about time and revenue long term vs a different investment. From has to weigh doing a deal with Sony on an exclusive title vs the revenue self publishing (now possible after buyout) a game for ps4, bone, and pc will bring them as they have limited man power to dedicate to such projects. Would a bb2 exclusive to one platform produce more revenue /For fs/ than a new title self published? If it never happens then we know the answer fs came to, which considering the outstandingly solid sales of the ultra barebones pc versions they put out I doubt they ever give up those sales again.
Good point. I am sure From is taking multiplates revenue and time vs exclusive revenue and time into consideration. But did they put the whole DS team on BB? With the Sony learned from making BB along side them, wouldn't Sony add more resources to help? Just throwing everything I can out there because I want a part two badly.

Last edited:

Tony Montana

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a new Souls-inspired IP instead. Part of what made Bloodborne so great was that it was a new IP in a new setting. I want to see something sci-fi horror from them and move even further away from the Souls formula. Make it set on an alien planet or a spaceship with a Gigeresque art style.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
It's special IMO because it's an exclusive game and they partnered with the leading console manufacturer. But yes, every Souls game is the shiznit.
Keywords being "in that regard" as in, the bolded.
Every souls game is well received by critics and fans
Every souls game barring maybe Demon souls made a lot of money. None of those are compelling reasons to make another Bloodborne game.

Puggsly

Nov 2, 2017
NOLA
I'd love a new Bloodborne, but I would also be fine if From did a new IP. Hell, they can do whatever the hell they want, chances are I will enjoy it.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely hope it won't happen. We don't need a Bloodborne 2. Everything has been told. Let them make a new game set in a new world.

Oct 28, 2017
Bloodborne is IMO the GOTG, so I really hope we get a sequel or at least a spiritual successor. Even if it doesn't live up to the first one, chances are it'll still be a great game.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
The IP did well so I will go with yes. Just as we'll see another Horizon.

The big question is if From will still be involved.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see more Lovecraftian / Eldritch horror-themed games from FromSoftware.
I have zero interest in a sequel to Bloodborne if that means it's going to be another PlayStation exclusive though.
It was a technical mess, and not even the PS4 Pro hardware could fix it.
Yes, they've been hush. If it were exclusive, I don't think they'd be hush. As of right now, it was announced, never unannounced, and they have not commented, so I'd consider it to still be announced as coming to PC. Obviously that may not be the case ultimately, but we'll see.
I really hope you're right.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Bloodborne 2 is already out in the alternate universe...Walternate and Olivia are playing it (Fringe fans?)

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I sincerely hope it won't happen. We don't need a Bloodborne 2. Everything has been told. Let them make a new game set in a new world.

I never have played any game for 300+ hrs but I did with Bloodborne so I say bring on BB2. Only this time lets go off world or and take to the cosmos. I have no clue how that would work unless we no longer are a human character or if it's set in the future of the bb world and humans have sought to seek out where the great ones come from.

Edit: maybe this would go against the vision of how the lore is open to interpirtation.i have read many theories on where the Great ones came from such as the ocean,space, or different planes of existence/dimensions .

Last edited:

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I never have played any game for 300+ hrs but I did with Bloodborne so I say bring on BB2. Only this time lets go off world and take to the cosmos. I have no clue how that would work unless we no longer are a human character or if it's set in the future of the bb world and humans have sought to seek out where the great ones come from.

I think seeking out the last few answers of that universe is only going to ruin the magic. Which is why I think they should just move on. Who is to say you wouldn't be able to spend another 300+ h with their next game, even if it isn't called Bloodborne 2? ;(

Oct 29, 2017
Bloodborne is my favorite game of this gen and my 2nd favorite game of all time.

Even so I don't want a sequel that badly I'd rather have a total tone shift with the same combat n lvl design. Like cartoon-souls or something random.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I sure hope so. It would be very unlucky Kelly that they wouldn't . It's a very popular highly reguarded game.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
The potential of a new FROM exclusive is pretty much the only reason why my PS4 hasn't been sold yet.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Ever is a long time.

They said they're making three games, one of them is a Souls-esque thing, but it's seemingly a new IP.

If it's a Bloodborne-esque Souls game, in that it's taking a lot of mechanics for a new story and setting, than please.

Bloodborne was so complete and concise in it's storytelling, I don't see how a direct sequel would do fans or the franchise any good. Are you going to be another hunter in a different dream with a different Lovecraftian twist?

Bloodborne 2 is it a good proposition. I would love more Bloodborne, but there's nowhere else worthwhile to go in that world.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If Geoff Keighley is sitting on the next From Soft announcement for Game Awards it wouldnt be the first time (He got the exclusive reveal of Dark Souls 2)

Whether that turns into Bloodborne 2.... that assumes that 1/3 of the From Soft projects is actually BB2

And the last time they were asked about said projects I believe they said

1 Project is an all New IP
1 project is a an existing IP
1 Project is in the same vein (gameplay wise) as the souls series

That could mean anything and they havent been dropping any hints or leaks at all over the past year or so?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like Sony would have to make a pretty good offer for From Software to even consider it. Their success with multiplatform titles is such that they would be leaving money on the table if they were going exclusive again.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
If Geoff Keighley is sitting on the next From Soft announcement for Game Awards it wouldnt be the first time

Whether that turns into Bloodborne 2.... that assumes that 1/3 of the From Soft projects is actually BB2

And the last time they were asked about said projects I believe they said

1 Project is an all New IP
1 project is a an existing IP
1 Project is in the same vein (gameplay wise) as the souls series

That could mean anything and they havent been dropping any hints or leaks at all over the past year or so?
1 game is Armored Core, which is the existing IP
1 game is a new IP Dark Fantasy ARPG
1 game is a weird game, unlike what they've done before, will probably make fans go "what the hell is this"

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a Bloodborne-esque Souls game, in that it's taking a lot of mechanics for a new story and setting, than please.

Bloodborne was so complete and concise in it's storytelling, I don't see how a direct sequel would do fans or the franchise any good. Are you going to be another hunter in a different dream with a different Lovecraftian twist?

Bloodborne 2 is it a good proposition. I would love more Bloodborne, but there's nowhere else worthwhile to go in that world.

Agreed

If they make another Partner game with Sony Japan it should just be another new IP

1 game is Armored Core, which is the existing IP
1 game is a new IP Dark Fantasy ARPG
1 game is a weird game, unlike what they've done before, will probably make fans go "what the hell is this"

Thanks for clarifying. I figured i didnt remember all of it

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I think seeking out the last few answers of that universe is only going to ruin the magic. Which is why I think they should just move on. Who is to say you wouldn't be able to spend another 300+ h with their next game, even if it isn't called Bloodborne 2? ;(

After I typed that out I kinda came to my senses on that one and made an edit.
I may very well spend 300+ hrs on the next game they make but a big part of the addiction was the lore and world I was playing in. It was equally or more important than the amazing trick weapons and combat. I think I would be crazy to not want more of somthing i thought was amazing. Still I would be ok with somthing new .

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hope right at this moment anyway. I want Armored Core 6 by Miyazaki like he did with AC4 and fA.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Since Sony owns the ip From might not be inclined to make a sequel. They may just make a news souls type game where they can own the ip

Status
Not open for further replies.