• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
It always weirded me out how wearing underwear as outerwear look became the staple fit for superheroes. Like I understand you gotta look different from civilians but wearing an underwear on the outside? A cape wasn't enough?
It was the circus strongman look, and due to being unusual and exotic compared to the actual outfits people wore it even seemed to take over as a general futuristic look for a while.

FlashGordon4Harvey.jpg

To elaborate on this:

Circus strongmen wore spandex bodysuits because the material would show off every muscle in their body.

Do you know what else it would show off?

That's why they wore trunks over their spandex.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Frank Miller has entered the chat SamAlbro:
1461169581158421063.jpg

This is one of his DKR 3: The Master Race covers. Someone tugs his Kryptonian on the right... The overall miniseries is shit. Don´t bother.
Strongman trunks as a hero look are cool of course.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason for his clothes being that colour is to draw enemy fire.

Batman was a horrible person.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The only reason for his clothes being that colour is to draw enemy fire.
Red & green were the colors of the Flying Graysons even in 1940 but we got meta stuff like this as most recently (?) in the New 52 canon:
nqTg63G.png

This ain´t canon anymore. Batman 1989 almost had Dick btw:

That script was filled to the gills and was revised basically daily.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Red & green were the colors of the Flying Graysons even in 1940 but we got meta stuff like this as most recently (?) in the New 52 canon:
nqTg63G.png

Batman 1989 almost had Dick btw:

That script was filled to the gills and was revised basically daily.

I know.

And that's a great excuse for Batman to allow it.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Wanna see a real bad Robin costume Era? It´s almost as bad as the adult non-Batman Earth 2 one:
tim-drake-codename-costume-1195020.jpeg

From 2019´s Young Justice. Don´t bother. Tim Drake, formerly Red Robin, is Drake now. That´s what you call male duck! Thx uncle Bendis. You really are undoing DC from within... His pre-New 52 Alex Ross suit from Kingdom Come was sooo good. Let´s go back to the past please DC and Tim´s only good showing in the last decade was by James Tynion IV in Detective Comics Rebirth. Sigh.

Neal Adams, back when he was good, gave Tim his original look that ended up on TAS and all sorts of stuff up to Rebirth:
robindesignslyle1-zps5f3384d0-115810.jpg

Dec 2, 2017
If Tim Drake's secret identity is Drake, is Batman going to change his name to Wayne? Because so many people have already figured out his secret identity, he needs to change it to some impossible code to crack like this.

Wayne Returns
Wayne Forever
Wayne & Robin
Wayne Begins

It just flows like fine wine.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
He is one of the rare oversexed male leads in cape comics:
grayson.jpg

This is as old as the 80s and Tom King really went to town with it:
grayson-161.jpg

midnighter.png

Tom King´s Batman is equally vavavoom:
BM_79_4.jpg

His heroes FUUUCK. And a big tumps up for the return of nudist Bane. He was missing since about the mid-90. This is lastly a real variant cover:
justiceleague.png
Is that Tom Sellek as Batman? Fuck, now I wish the clusterfuck batman movies of the 90s had Sellek instead of Clooney or Val Kilmer.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
To elaborate on this:

Circus strongmen wore spandex bodysuits because the material would show off every muscle in their body.

Do you know what else it would show off?

That's why they wore trunks over their spandex.

This is my head cannon for why Kryptonians dress this way: super science suits need some modesty trunks. So their underwear is on the outside.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I imagine the thought process was that it would look like sport clothes that focus on showing off her muscles, like they do for Banner but more elegent looking? Though honestly I'm not sure how to best handle a Hulk style look for female characters.
Yeah, I can sort of imagine the intent, but the execution is wonky.

Jenn's had some fun and silly ones over the years.
She-Hulk-Genre-Costumes-580x257.jpg

But I think at the end of the day, her one-piece with purple trim is going to be her "default" look for ages to come.
371988_preview.png

It's got the color, it shows off her muscles, and it's sleek and not overdesigned while not being, you know, a gaudy mess or shredded rags or a bikini.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

But I think at the end of the day, her one-piece with purple trim is going to be her "default" look for ages to come.
371988_preview.png

It's got the color, it shows off her muscles, and it's sleek and not overdesigned while not being, you know, a gaudy mess or shredded rags or a bikini.
It should have just been that but with her new hulk muscles

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

371988_preview.png

What you do you think of the Glory reboot?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

371988_preview.png

What you do you think of the Glory reboot?
Wonder woman ripoff
HXG2uX0_m1HFNgfgT3sgSccyzVOZ28r1tlq6tar2XoLgi4qdYpF7O66RjAQDuFAH1S10208QRFgDfw=s0

To well

jQYh4sV1QvFlyJyaDf4iZq-0PqgzFbOmszOnK44n5B1KQATA1rAVPbmzCTRQ1T9G_rigRnVmnHHj7w=s1600

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wanna see a real bad Robin costume Era? It´s almost as bad as the adult non-Batman Earth 2 one:

From 2019´s Young Justice. Don´t bother. Tim Drake, formerly Red Robin, is Drake now. That´s what you call male duck! Thx uncle Bendis. You really are undoing DC from within... His pre-New 52 Alex Ross suit from Kingdom Come was sooo good. Let´s go back to the past please DC and Tim´s only good showing in the last decade was by James Tynion IV in Detective Comics Rebirth. Sigh.

Neal Adams, back when he was good, gave Tim his original look that ended up on TAS and all sorts of stuff up to Rebirth:

lol how was Batman/Bruce Wayne not charged with child endangerment-abuse especially with the 2nd Robin.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

This exchange is what makes that name especially garbage.

image-30.jpg

If they were to lean more into the dragon implications of the name than the duck ones, it would be a bit better, but still a bad code name because it's his actual last name.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
This exchange is what makes that name especially garbage.

image-30.jpg

If they were to lean more into the dragon implications of the name than the duck ones, it would be a bit better, but still a bad code name because it's his actual last name.
But it's a bird

Like robin

So a bird

Cool right

(None of the other Robins became bird theme though)

SHUT UP

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Uhm.

avengers-she-hulk-new-costume-spoiler-1197793.jpeg

This is her current, most recent "uniform".
Yup. Especially given we just had an issue during War of the Realms creating discussion about why Savage is actually a step forward for Jen's character, and then this happens.
But it's a bird

Like robin

So a bird

Cool right

(None of the other Robins became bird theme though)

SHUT UP
I mean Nightwing is just vague enough that the Court of Owls was like "OBVIOUSLY NIGHT + WING = OWL SO THEREFORE YOU ARE A TALON NOW" and that's been a thing since the beginning of the N52. Even though it's actually taken after the Kryptonian superhero.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Especially given we just had an issue during War of the Realms creating discussion about why Savage is actually a step forward for Jen's character, and then this happens.

I mean Nightwing is just vague enough that the Court of Owls was like "OBVIOUSLY NIGHT + WING = OWL SO THEREFORE YOU ARE A TALON NOW" and that's been a thing since the beginning of the N52. Even though it's actually taken after the Kryptonian superhero.
I thought Dick was just from a lineage of Talons and the circus is just recruitment ground

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I thought Dick was just from a lineage of Talons and the circus is just recruitment ground
Court of Owls has been trying to recruit him since that reveal. His great grandpappy was the first Talon. Current arc of Nightwing has them trying to brainwash him. Batman and Robin Eternal had them blackmailing him via bomb implant in Damien. Night of Owls had him fighting his Great Grandpappy.

Yeah they've been working him for a minnit

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Those Glory redesigns are miles above liefeld's original derivative nonsense.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Batman had 3 of his Robins killed twice in canon as seen below. The interim Robin Stephanie Brown died once. Gotham (Henry Clover, Jr.) arguably died once but he was an adult. The adult Orpheus (the original Signal) died and stayed dead. Alfred just died (and one in the Silver Age). I can go on. Batman really takes care of people... Tim only faked his death in the N52 due to reasons. It´s thankfully non-canon now.
To explain. These 3 died once (Dick in Forever Evil, which finally used that plot from Infinite Crisis) and then though Bane:
5688997-7%20bm16.jpg

Superman´s Kryptonian Regeneration Matrix (DoS) made the neck boo-boos go away as they were slowly being suffocated and the already cold bodies still could be saved.

Matches Malone explicitly looked like Tom Selleck in the (currently) last arc of his Batman Rand a. Thor but sequels are coming.
batman-79-comic-12-719x752.JPG

batman-79-comic-726x338.JPG

Cat is written to be King´s wife and Returns was the one good 90s film outside of the 2 toon films.

Lastly, naked Bane fighting Batman´s (Flashpoint) father:
image-9.png

Now that´s a costume redesign! 11/10 He gave Bat and Cat the same honor and was naked around a minor (i think) just like DRK Bruce.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
j5mmizt8wbb01.png

Polaris went through some things with her hair in the 80s

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Those Glory redesigns are miles above liefeld's original derivative nonsense.

You should see Prophet (which apparently Liefeld is going to take back and revert to his older superheroey version... fooey).

Seems like a theme here is all the "good guys turned into bad guys so we have to make their costumes edgier to make people understand the difference" stuff is terrible. Sue Storm and Malice, Polaris with... hmm... a different Malice, Madeleine being an evil Jean Grey, actual Jean Grey being an evil Jean Grey because of Mastermind, etc.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
You should see Prophet (which apparently Liefeld is going to take back and revert to his older superheroey version... fooey).

Seems like a theme here is all the "good guys turned into bad guys so we have to make their costumes edgier to make people understand the difference" stuff is terrible. Sue Storm and Malice, Polaris with... hmm... a different Malice, Madeleine being an evil Jean Grey, actual Jean Grey being an evil Jean Grey because of Mastermind, etc.
Haw ye, i finished that arc of Glory, utterly adored it, truly terrific 12 issues, and some friends immediately suggested that i read Prophet after the char was also revised (even if the writer ended up proving himself a gigantic asshole some years later, apparently). Will have a look.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Haw ye, i finished that arc of Glory, utterly adored it, truly terrific 12 issues, and some friends immediately suggested that i read Prophet after the char was also revised (even if the writer ended up proving himself a gigantic asshole some years later, apparently). Will have a look.
What happened with the prophet creator

Glory is great