• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Soccer is treated as a very dirty word. Many fans go berzerk and insist that you call it football. In another forum I used to frequent a person used the word soccer and you just had a whole bunch of posters saying that he shouldn't expect people to take him seriously if he uses soccer instead of football. That is prime gatekeeping for me; the view that you aren't a true fan if you say soccer. I also think it's a deliberate attempt to gatekeep American fans.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I guess.

It's short for Association Football. It's a word that comes from the UK. People are just fucking stupid and snide about everything, with a dash of insecurity. "B-but, that's not the REAL football!!!"

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It's just wierd OG Football is the one constantly being given a nickname instead of American Football.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I learned to say soccer since my early days of english

So is right to me haha

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's "gatekeeping", but it's absolutely immature, ignorant garbage that makes people look like pathetic assholes.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If you call it soccer you're either not a true football fan or you're in a coma.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I never heard of "soccer" until I moved to the USA. Living in England until just before my teens, it was odd at first. Didn't know what American Football was, and surely didn't know what soccer was lol. It took some getting used to. This was late 80's. I still call it football mostly.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Soccer, gridiron, rugby, Gaelic and Aussie rules are all part of the wider football family :D

FWIW football for me is association football, I am fine with 'soccer' from Americans because it's what they're familiar with.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I resent it,especially from europhiles who go out of their Way to use european names for everything. Canada isnot Europe and American /Canadian football is quite popular here

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Normal brain = soccer
Super brain = football
Galaxy brain = f́ütǻb́ốḯ

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Maybe if you take every comment that takes the piss seriously, I guess.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm speaking english, and I'm in the US, I'll call it soccer and not care. People who make a stink about it, despite knowing exactly what I'm saying, are just looking for an argument and will receive a quick fuck you from me. You know what's actual gate keeping? When local fans throw a fit if you support a team that you're not local to/or not from that country then site a bunch of history that really doesn't matter when it comes to enjoying a game soccer.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it comes from a "Lazy/Dumb Americans" attitude.

"Hand Egg" also feels like a mix of that, plus some "Lol sportz are dumb".

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I resent it,especially from europhiles who go out of their Way to use european names for everything. Canada isnot Europe and American /Canadian football is quite popular here
Yeah, I always assume they are really insecure when I hear someone say football instead of soccer. I get saying it in some settings, but when we are in a room full of Americans in the US...

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm speaking english, and I'm in the US, I'll call it football and not care. People who make a stink about it, despite knowing exactly what I'm saying, are just looking for an argument and will receive a quick fuck you from me. You know what's actual gate keeping? When local fans throw a fit if you support a team that you're not local to/or not from that country then site a bunch of history that really doesn't matter when it comes to enjoying a game football.
FTFY

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
football-handegg-emirate-hand-foot-ball-egg-not-soccer-not-17554237.png

This checks out. Your move OP.