• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
daken2.jpg

On paper he should have been an interesting character, the son of Wolverine and Itsu, giving him connection to a really popular Wolverine story, an assassin whose mother was killed by Winter Soldier. In the diversity standpoint he's an half asian bisexual "hero"

So what went wrong? In pretty much every story he's been in he has been absolute trash

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest waste of potential was bringing him back to life after Wolverine had to drown him in a shallow puddle lol.

Daken might be the worst Wolverine ever.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt mean to shit on him Op, if you were a fan of his. I just felt like that was such a huge moment for actual Wolverine, and it was pretty much wasted when they brought him back.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I guess the next question was if there actually was that much potential there, when there was already X-23 to be Wolverine's "kid"?

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I didnt mean to shit on him Op, if you were a fan of his. I just felt like that was such a huge moment for actual Wolverine, and it was pretty much wasted when they brought him back.
Not really much of a fan of his, like the titles says I see him as a big waste potential, I believe the concept of Daken is great and we could have easily gotten a good character but we didn't, he's been horrible in everything I read him in(except in UXF)

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Daken was never cool or even slightly interesting and I'd argue there are probably dozens if not hundreds of situations of wasted potential that are more interesting than Daken.

Like why we don't have more interesting and on going X men teams

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Not really much of a fan of his, like the titles says I see him as a big waste potential, I believe the concept of Daken is great and we could have easily gotten a good character but we didn't, he's been horrible in everything I read him in(except in UXF)
Ok, then yes I totally agree. I think people have tried recently to do something better with him, like in X-Men Blue, but I still havent gotten around to reading that arc, so im not sure.

At least hes not Wild Thing

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Daken hugely depends on the writer. His character's been rehabilitated a little in his last few appearances, but no one really knows what to do with the character long term because there's nothing fundamentally interesting about him.

Like, he's Wolverine's son? That's it? Wolverine has lots of offspring.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Wolverine's slacker son is a disappointment and a waste of great potential?
Almost as if by design, you don't say?

blame the tattoos.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
He is redeemable considering it took until 2016 to make X-23 a good character. All shitty characters need is a good writer.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Daken being bisexual from the start is better than adding queer subtext to Logan after decades of existence.

Daken has that going for him

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
At least he wasn't built up as the next big thing like Hope Summers only to get banished to the shadow realm after the big event book. What a fall from grace.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
What? Are you talking about Captain Howlett?
Daken took a backseat since his « death » and it's a shame. I miss his miniseries. Jimmy Hudson is pointless.
Oh hey, I didn't realize Jimmy made it out of the Ultiverse! Did they ever explain or build upon that time he grew metal on his claws for no apparent reason? I always wanted that to go somewhere and not just be complete garbage...

zon

Oct 28, 2017
No, Alex Summers is the biggest waste of potential among the mutant heroes.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At least he wasn't built up as the next big thing like Hope Summers only to get banished to the shadow realm after the big event book. What a fall from grace.

I'm still fucking salty about this. I got really into Hope's stories and then bam. Like after Homecoming the stories kind of just slowed down and became boring and then she stopped existing.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He is redeemable considering it took until 2016 to make X-23 a good character. All shitty characters need is a good writer.
It's like you never read New X-Men Vol 2 at all! Everything X-23 related following M-Day was fucking gold. Laura Kinney has been excellent since she stepped out of X-Men Evolution.

I'm still fucking salty about this. I got really into Hope's stories and then bam. Like after Homecoming the stories kind of just slowed down and became boring and then she stopped existing.
I wish she stopped existing, she's a terrorist now.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's like you never read New X-Men Vol 2 at all! Everything X-23 related following M-Day was fucking gold. Laura Kinney has been excellent since she stepped out of X-Men Evolution.

Wait fucking what?? Thats dumb as hell, but I'm more surprised she's around. Last I heard she was in some coma years ago and then it seemed like they forgot about her.

rude

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think Kyle and Yost writing X-23 as the perpetual angst machine was interesting. I said what I said. Taking up the Wolverine mantle and giving her a wider cast of supporting characters made her much better to me.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Daken is just a C-list edgelord version of Wolverine, and therefore is dull as fuck. And whatever limited potential he had as a character has been squandered by dreadful writing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Daken is just a C-list edgelord version of Wolverine, and therefore is dull as fuck. And whatever limited potential he had as a character has been squandered by dreadful writing.
Remember when ti was revealed that Romulus was pulling his strings all along?
1187707-romulus_01.jpg

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
He has claws on his fingers AND claws coming out of his hands! Those metal claws look super awkward, too, like he'd be constantly catching them on things given that one of them points at right angles to the rest. And popping out claws that are longer than your forearms is one hell of a trick. Like, how do you flex your wrist when they're retracted?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
He has claws on his fingers AND claws coming out of his hands! Those metal claws look super awkward, too, like he'd be constantly catching them on things given that one of them points at right angles to the rest. And popping out claws that are longer than your forearms is one hell of a trick. Like, how do you flex your wrist when they're retracted?
They are gloves......at first