• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
How many good movies has Doom starred in? How many awards have they won?

How about Joker? I rest my case :0

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
clean.jpg

wish to hell they'd reprint the trade

also DOOM > joker by a country mile

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
He's up there, but he's not even the best Marvel villain (that'd be Magneto).
The best overall comic villain is Joker.

Joker?
Which books are people reading where Joker is rated higher than Dr Doom?

How many good movies has Doom starred in? How many awards have they won?

How about Joker? I rest my case :0

But we are talking about the characters as comic book characters.
Doom stomps Joker in pretty much every way.
As a character with depth....his actual feats....his design.

Joker defeat Doom?
pjdnnQ9.jpg

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Getting emotional thinking about what a great villain Dr. Doom is. So many great and not-at-all stupid moments in comic book history attributed to him.

S_D860l3abUhrng9j2muVDaaOfjxrAS8I1wXgkVFXbA.jpg

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
It was a mistake to make his actual last name Doom.
Having his real name literally be Victor Von Doom is definitely a throwback to a pulpier era of comics, but I honestly prefer when writers simply embrace the absurdly operatic elements of the charactet rather then trying to come up with tortured workarounds or explanations like the Ultimate Universe or the last FF movie tried to.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
He will be once he joins the MCU and we get a good live action version.

To be fair, that book in general probably wasn't the most well thought out piece of storytelling in the world.

The fucking state of that shite. It's genuinely offensive that they thought the thing to do was trivialise a tragedy by having villains act out of character and cry over it. Like "oh no, we're all ruthless monsters, but we're not as bad as the people who caused 9-11."

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I prefer my villains villainous. The fact that you can like them defeats the purpose for me.

Allfather Starr from Preacher
1519157-preacher24.jpg

Lono from 100 Bullets
3891560-lono.jpg

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Having his real name literally be Victor Von Doom is definitely a throwback to a pulpier era of comics, but I honestly prefer when writers simply embrace the absurdly operatic elements of the charactet rather then trying to come up with tortured workarounds or explanations like the Ultimate Universe or the last FF movie tried to.

Have you seen this nutjob from Latveria? The press are calling him Doctor Doom. Ain't that sumthin'.

Easy.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Have you seen this nutjob from Latveria? The press are calling him Doctor Doom. Ain't that sumthin'.

Easy.
But then you rob Doom of the ability to refer to himself in third person as Doom, a key component of his character.

Plus, you can always just claim that Latveria has weird naming conventions. Say that it means 'hope' in English or something.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
No, it's the Joker. And it's not even close.
Why so serious lmao?

If Doom is not the best villain, he's damn near the top of that game.

The character has a huuuuuge range of stuff he can be used for that he's the best thing in shared universe. From implacable tyrant to self important fool, he just works.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Like with most every comic book, the quality of the character entirely depends on the quality of the writer. I've read stories where The Joker is pitch-perfect, and I've read stories where he is really uninteresting. Same with Doom.....

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Joker?
Which books are people reading where Joker is rated higher than Dr Doom?

But we are talking about the characters as comic book characters.
Doom stomps Joker in pretty much every way.
As a character with depth....his actual feats....his design.

Joker defeat Doom?
pjdnnQ9.jpg

Well, if Dr. Doom has such resilience and range, why haven't we seen any good films of this comic book character?

Joker is chaotic, unreadable, smart, and lethally dangerous.

Dr. Doom is an evil Iron Man who talks in third person. And I actually like Dr. Doom.
I just don't think he holds a candle to the type of fear and danger generated by a Joker.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think Doom's most interesting when he's not a full on villain, much like Black Adam and Magneto. So I'm going with no, he's not the best villain but he can be an incredibly compelling character.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Yes.
I know people will say the Joker, or Lex Luthor, or Darkseid or yadda yadda blah balh.
But no other supervillain is half as good as him. He can be a terrifying mastermind, or a crazy weirdo. He can outthink you, but he could also just LOUDLY PROCLAIM LATVERIAS WILL!
He's a blast to read about, and when someone EdgeLord quotes the Joker...You can just go. "DOCTOR DOOM TOOTS AS HE PLEASES!"

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well, if Dr. Doom has such resilience and range, why haven't we seen any good films of this comic book character?

Dr. Doom is an evil Iron Man who talks in third person. And I actually like Dr. Doom.
I just don't think he holds a candle to the type of fear and danger generated by a Joker.

You want to get into the politics of making movies based on comic book characters....to discredit a comic book character?

By that logic Jennifer Walters is a whack comicbook character....hell Kate Bishop is shit.

Immortal Hulk is an eisner nominated book...but because no movies are based on it, The Immortal Hulk must be trash tier.

Whats your actual argument...cuz Doom has no good movie appearances....the Comicbook character is shit?
Wouldnt that hurt a bunch of characters who havent had good movie appearances?
Pretty much all of Image Comics lineup hasnt had a good live action appearance, does that kill all those characters?

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

Are you seriously judging how good a character is written based off if there's movies about them or not? Lmao

Oct 26, 2017
Depth doesn't mean much when it comes to quality. For most of his appearances up until Superior Spiderman, Doctor Octopus was the simplest supervillain ever and yet he is easily one of the greatest in execution.

Last edited:

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Joker definitely has greater mainstream relevancy, and he's also an extremely versatile villain, as these pictures show, but that extreme versatility basically comes at the expense of having a real, defined character. To me it's telling that only two versions of the character shown here have an actual history or backstory. Joker is a great conceptual villain, Doom has greater all around depth.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depth doesn't mean much when it comes to quality. For most of his appearances up until Superior Spiderman. Doctor Octopus was the simplest supervillain ever and yet he is easily one of the greatest in execution.
He is still considered Spidey's mortal enemy/greatest villain. But people like jumping to Norman Osborn/Green Goblin.

It's always been a fight between the two.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He is still considered Spidey's mortal enemy/greatest villain. But people like jumping to Norman Osborn/Green Goblin.

It's always been a fight between the two.
Ocks better. Norman lost the title when they brought him back and they retconned all the stuff with Gwen and stuff. He used to be the guy who caused Gwen's death and robbed Peter of revenge by accidentally impaling himself. Now he's just Marvels attempt to have a more off kilter Lex Luthor. Resurrected Osborn is trash.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody talks about him and only the most hardcore comic nerds seem to know who he is, at least in my experience. He doesn't even come close to Joker. Everybody knows who Joker is and exactly what he did and does. He transcended comic books and became a global icon.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
I only just started reading a lot of FF. Was the Ultimate Fantastic Four series worth a read for Doom at all?

I used too like the Ultimate X-Men, Spier-Man, and Ultimates for a brief moment in time but never got around to FF

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
arguments in favor of joker in here remind me how boring he is. i wouldn't have put doom as greatest of all time but if this is what the competition mounts...

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
The joker is trash, kill people and being so crazy. Shit got old in the 80s. Doom actually makes you cheer for him while he is doing his dirt

Nah, Joker is the most recognised and popular villain in the history of comic books, with ease.

The character is also the most sought after and revered role in the history of comic book movies.

arguments in favor of joker in here remind me how boring he is. i wouldn't have put doom as greatest of all time but if this is what the competition mounts...

Doesn't seem too boring when 3 of his cinematic portrayals are also the top 3 most respected performances in the history of comic book movies.