• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Probably one of the most anticipated games to come out last (this?) generation was FFVIIR. While not a 1:1 remake in terms of length to the original scenario, it's the best we will get so far.

I thought it was one of the more enjoyable JRPGs I've played in while. While I wasn't too keen on the level/dungeon design, the characterization of the beloved FFVI cast was marvelous. Cloud, Tifa, Barrett, Aerith, and to some extent, came to life very well, with much more added complexity. And let's not forgot that amazing soundtrack.

Not a perfect game, though. What game is? My complaints were in some of the tedious level design and poor quest design.

I do wonder if it gets a Final Mix version for the PS5 of sorts. I can definitely see that.

Still, it's still one my GOATs of last generation. Had tons of fun with it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's never been a GOAT of the gen for me.

If the game was way shorter without all the obvious padding I might think otherwise. I did enjoy the game but it's not even in my top 10 of the year.

Anyways, Bloodborne is the GOAT of the gen.

Jaybird

Sep 4, 2018
Although I thought the game was good I thought there were some major problems with it. The "open" areas were terrible and the side quests were the pretty bad. Don't get me started on those damn anime grunts...

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It's only been like 6 months...? I hadn't played FFVII before it and it wasn't that highly anticipated for me but it was my favourite game of the year and still is.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't enjoy it very much at all (I thought the dungeons were atrocious), so no sadly. I was still very impressed with how they translated just about everything else into a more modern context though, so it's not like I regret playing it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
About four hours in and really captivated by the characters and music, not so much the side missions. Have not played the original but this looks to be an amazing ride.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Yes, it constantly swung for the fences and hit a number of home runs. The most surprising game I've played this gen and the best remake period. Never played a game with so much heart with the budget it was given.

Aug 1, 2018
Definitely top 10 of the generation for me, but probably closer to the #10 spot than the #1 spot.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously it isn't the full game like I wanted, but it still had enough content for a full game and it made me smile like crazy. Definitely one of my favorite games of this gen and I can't wait for the rest.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
My favorite combat system of this generation (Sekiro is a close second though) and one of the most interesting stories seen in AAA this gen.

I love how the game is
more of a game about being a remake than a remake per se.

cloudzack117

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely my GOTY. Id put it in my top 3 of PS4 exclusives this gen along with GoW and Bloodborne. Top 5 overall with BOTW and Witcher 3

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it ever was? Certainly liked it enough to be in my top ten for the year but plenty of better games this generation.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Great game but its choices will definitely not be for everyone, dungeon design/pacing is kinda wonky too. All star battle system though and a proper realignment for Cloud's characterization after constantly being done dirty for years in spin-offs.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's not in my top ten of this year, never mind the gen.

I'm a ginormous FFVII fan and I was pretty disappointed in the remake. I bounced off of it hard.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
No since i think it is an mediocre game with great opening and ending sections but entire middle section of the game is just terrible with awful chapters and boring-ass story.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
2nd best combat system in an action JRPG imo. First being KH2FM. Crazy that Nomura directed both.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
No. I liked it. The gameplay was fun. I have zero 3D Final Fantasy nostalgia, though. So the story and characters were just hella corny to me. I was rolling my eyes the entire game. I look forward to the second game tho.

Wait.

This is how it starts, isn't it?

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Personally I think FF7 Remake Part 1 is one of the best games I've ever played. Music is incredible, graphics are amazing, combat is incredibly fun, and the story is captivating. Can't wait for Part 2.

So yes its easily the best game this gen for me.

Dec 21, 2017
I LOVED the combat, it's a GOTY nominee for me, but this GEN?

I can probably name the titles on one hand that don't get blasted into Point-Blank Oblivion by Nier Automata.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
It's my GOTY. Love the combat sooo much, I think I could say it's flat out the best combat system for an rpg pretty much at this point? Wish it gave me an excuse to use it more after I beat the game :(
I want to start hard mode on PC so... just waiting for that.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the best JRPG (That's Nier Automata), but it's still pretty fucking high up there

Combat system was god tier

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I mean, the game came out a half year ago. What would have changed for it to move off someone's list if they had it on there?

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I loved it. It has many flaws but the fact that it did the original justice in so many ways is enough to make it a very special game for me

Also, as far as action RPGs go, it's got the best combat I've ever played

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Never has been. It was a disappointment for me in April, and I don't think any more fondly of it now personally.

I was one of the defenders when I heard the game would be split in parts and that this part would be Midgard, but they explore so little new things about the world even though it was ripe for opportunities. Couple that with an ending I detest, often times garbage level design imo, and Gameplay that I wasn't hot on, and... Meh.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely one of them. They did a fantastic job on it and I loved their hybrid battle system. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this getting a more action battle system until that E3 showing where they also showed it off very well.
Very impressed with their ambition on recreating that iconic setting in modern detail. It's such an iconic game that it would have been easy for it and the atmosphere to not feel right or more importantly how memory recalled it.

Loved it and I expect I'll double-dip on it for a next-gen enhanced version.

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Very much so, I love Compilation of FF7 content, so I loved the game of course taking it at surface level.
Then the ending with promise of more!?
For someone like me that was a dream come true. Call me a sucker, cause I am one for FF7 related media lmao.

I basically loved everything about the game, incredible music, fun gameplay, and well paced, especially considering it was just Midgar. I cannot wait for the next installment, so excited to see where they go with it.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
It's a really good game as far as I am concerned. There was a list of games that were even better this past gen though.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I loved it. The combat is so good. The more time you put in and as you go on to hard mode it really starts to show its refinement, pushing you to tactically approach fights and encouraging you to make full use of the tools it provides. There may be some additional areas that didn't do much but pad the length however I actually enjoyed the simple excuse for more fights.