• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason For Honor has piqued my curiosity as of late. I came across some YouTube trailers for its various "seasonal updates" with new classes and such, and I started to wonder if it might be worth my time to pick up the game a year post-release. I have a shiny new PS4 Pro now (upgraded from my standard PS4), so I wouldn't mind having a nice eye-candy game like this running on my new console if the gameplay is any good.

From what I saw at the time of launch, the game appeared to have two main gameplay types: a MOBA-esque mode where you push/defend lanes alongside two teammates and a bunch of NPC's and a one-vs-one duel mode. The 1v1 mode seemed cool to me because it reminded me somewhat of Bushido Blade in its simplicity, and I love the idea of different historical warrior archetypes duking it out with realistically portrayed fighting mechanics.

But then again... it's Ubisoft, and I don't tend to enjoy their brand of AAA design these days. Does For Honor differentiate itself enough from their other large-scale series? Is it full of microtransactions or other nonsense? Is the online population still pretty decent, or is it a ghost town with long queue times?

I just wanna be a Samurai and/or Shinobi and engage in tense duels with Centurions and Knights.

Cqex3.gif

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Small but active community. Certain game modes are dead unless there is an event to force players. Game in general is okay. New classes are overpowered for the first week they're out, but nerfed later. General game balance is slow, which is both good and bad. Most people playing it buy the season passes, so expect to be behind on unlocks if you don't.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Small but active community. Certain game modes are dead unless there is an event to force players. Game in general is okay. New classes are overpowered for the first week they're out, but nerfed later. General game balance is slow, which is both good and bad. Most people playing it buy the season passes, so expect to be behind on unlocks if you don't.
Hm... that doesn't sound too enticing. Thanks for the input.