• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you buy Xbox Series X for the Netflix of gaming?

• Of course

Votes: 644 40.4%
  • Haven’t decided yet

Votes: 187 11.7%
  • Nah

Votes: 671 42.1%
  • I want my physical games, dude

Votes: 93 5.8%

• Total voters

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
We all know that Game Pass rocks with its steady stream of awesome games and day one 1st party releases from Xbox Game Studios. The value is there, but is it enough for you to invest in Xbox Series X and experience the Netflix of gaming in the highest quality?

Last edited:

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm locked in for 2 years with the conversion trick, and I'll be resuming at full price after because it's been so good. My primary console is a one X so I have a ton of digital games too. I'll definitely be getting the new Xbox for Gamepass alone though

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, glad the option is out on PC tho; saves me some money if I decide to pay for a month and there is something I wanted to play.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Yes.

The only issue is that I will have to wait a couple of hours to play Halo Infinite, as all of us will not be able to preinstall the game....

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Unless the difference in what game pass pc vs console offers becomes greater then no, I'll just go pc next gen for Microsoft.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
So you're asking about Xbox Series X in the thread title and your post yet the poll says Xbox One X. (Edit: it was fixed)

No, gamepass will not be the reason to buy XSX because I have an XOX that has gamepass already and they've said XSX games won't be exclusive for a few years.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just think, you buy Xbox Series X, and have access to all the launch games from MS. Thats a first for gaming.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The main reason I'm buying a XSX is because Gamepass would offset the price of games for a while. A possible XSX at $600 plus Halo, Forza, and whatever else for no extra cost (I have Gamepass for another year) is cheaper than a possible $500 PS5 plus accompanying launch games.

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
I planned to get a ps5 first originally and the Xbox at a later date {for the exclusives). Thanks to gpu I'll do it the other way around.

sirronoh

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but I'm glad XGS titles are available on PC. My money is in the Switch ecosystem and likely PS5 (depending on games).

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I do agree that Game Pass is slowly developing itself to the No. 1 system seller for Xbox.

The huge organization that is Xbox Game Studios with all the studios they added in the last 18 months complements that.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes

I can buy 3 years of Xbox Live Gold from Brazil from 90 euros/dolars. Convert 3 years to Ultimate Gamepass at the cost of 1 euro/dolar

Profit 3 years of Ultimate Gamepass with 1st party Xbox Studios day one at launch, at the cost of 91 euros/dolars

So, Gamepass it´s a no brainer (as i don´t plan to invest at a new PC upgrade) with a brand new Series X.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
It's honestly staggering. The best part is all the indies that come to the service. My Switch has seen less time at home because it used to be my catch all indie machine.

It still gets a ton of use, especially on the go, but the scale has definitely tipped a bit.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
This conversation thread will likely degrade quickly because I imagine it will include some positivity. That said, of course it shows its value. Its a service MS is clearly committed to supporting with top tier games and indies.

If the catalogue has some amount of what you want to spend your limited game time playing, why not?

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Absolutely, quick math alone is a no brainer. 10 dollars a month vs 60 for a new game, both running on a super powerful next gen box. When you factor all 1st party is day and date and stay in it, not to mention most third party stay in it a very long time, the 10 dollar a month becomes a stupidly good value. It's almost financial suicide not to lol.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
$500 would net me a lot of games.... thus I can't really see myself spending that money when I could just continue to use gamepass from time to time on PC.

To be fair, I don't even see myself continuing with gamepass beyond my first few months as the number of games I want to play on it is pretty low, and a lot of the games that typically appeal to me are unlikely to go on it.

I can totally see me subbing for a month here or there though when games like the new Ori hit it and what not. But I can't see games like cyberpunk or the ff7 remake coming to gamepass until well after their traditional release on pc/xbox.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
No, not for me. Xbox just doesn't have interesting exclusives yet, as I don't care for shooters. The Game Pass is a great deal, but most games on there are either not for me or are so old I could just buy them on another platform for a few bucks. Not worth buying an entire console just for that.

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
Using it on PC and its of great value, but will go with playstation for next gen as well.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Nah, I already have it until 2021 and play on a PC. Also, will not buy a PS5 if a similar service is on that system and PC

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to hammer my unlimited internet by downloading every first party title day one just to see the difference.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
As they decided to release all their games on PC, I don't see the point of owning a Xbox anymore.
I'd rather upgrade my already beefy PC than throw money on a series X.

Ruddles

Oct 17, 2018
No, gamepass will not be the reason to buy XSX because I have an XOX that has gamepass already and they've said XSX games won't be exclusive for a few years.

I'm in this boat. Honestly, the reason I love GamePass so much is the smaller games (Slay the Spire, Yoku's Island Express, Banner Saga trilogy, that sort of thing), that I probably wouldn't have bought otherwise. A LOT of the value of GamePass for me is the smaller games and the variety, not so much the exclusives (I got far more out of the games I mentioned than I ever did from Gears 5, for example).

So I love GamePass, but I can get by far most of the value from it by hanging on to my XOX. Heck, even Halo Infinite will probably play alright on the XOX.

Oct 25, 2017
My console purchase decision is entirely dependent on whether or not the console will have its internet access behind a subscription fee (Xbox Live Gold and PS Plus). I will buy a console if they get rid of that crap, otherwise I'm staying PC only.

If both of them get rid of paid online, that's when Game Pass will be the deciding factor that makes me get an Xbox over a Playstation. But with the current information we have, I will vote "Nah".

Oct 31, 2019
I have GP Ultimate and One X and a good PC so I'm all set, no reason at all to buy Series X. Will go with PS5 for next gen and One X will be enough for MS first party games. In fact only excited about Hellblade 2 and their first party games for next 2 years will run on my One X, after that period I might buy it on Holiday sale.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I plan on buying an XSX because i know it will carry forward already all the games i own on my xbox one X, including those that were made compatible this generation from my 360 and OG xbox. Game pass is like the second tier of that cake - fantastic and i will keep it going to keep that evolving library, however it is not THE reason i will purchase the XSX.

The third tier on the cake would be if they announced further enhancements to games for the Series X that already had them for X1X from the 360 and OG era and whether they would invest those resources again like this generation for X1X. Seriously, those games that got the Xbox One X enhancements (for free) impressed me to no end and to see your existing library not only brought forward from the previous generation (and into the subsequent XSX generation) but also enhanced and better than ever was pure magic for me. It literally got me to try the FF13 series and i found a flawed but very enjoyable experience.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
locked in for 3 years already but with PC being an option I see no need for an series x, if pc game pass wasn't a thing, very likely assuming MS steps it up with first party

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The opposite actually, with my Xbox One X and game pass sub I don't feel the need to get a Series X for at least a year or two after launch.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While gamepass is good it's not a game changer. I still prefer to own the games.
The best thing about gamepass is that it lets you try several games and pick the ones you like the most. In that aspect it's fantastic.

But It's definitely not something that would make me buy a XSX over a PS5, since Sony also has PS Now. Despite both services having differences it's the same type of service and sony certainly will want to improve it for PS5.

Now if MS manages to step their 1st party game output in QUALITY not QUANTITY, that would change the game for sure.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a quality over quantity type of guy. If the XSX ends up having compelling exclusive games, then I will buy one. Otherwise I'll be sticking with PS5.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
No it's about the quality of the exclusive games. Lineup is 90% the same as PS, I don't need both each gen, very rare I feel compelled to.

Jul 26, 2018
Yep, this is my plan actually: XBX and GamePass. Same as I do with Netflix, play whenever I want as much as I want and try as many new things as I want without having to weight the investment for each game on a case by case basis. Try games on a whim, drop games as soon as you get bored, etc. Just hoping they keep the price reasonable and there are good deals.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Unless Sony comes out kicking with some exclusives I really really want. I will probably get an Xbox Series X to start with and get a PS5 later on..
Gamepass really is great.

But we'll see.. we should know soon enough =)

Oct 31, 2019
What I feel is that if you don't buy PS5 you will most definitely be missing amazing Sony first part games.
On the contrary if you don't buy Series X you won't be missing anything at all.

So, hot take... why MS is releasing a 'next gen' console at all anyway, if One X and ALSO PC can have all their first parties for the foreseeable future?

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
For now: no. The games on gamepass are playable on the One as well. I don't see any merit yet in cashing out around 500 euro or more for a new box with hardly any benefit for those games.

Later with new Series X exclusives? Then possibly

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
No. Why?
Because exclusives I like are still on another console...
Also I dont have much time to play, so I prefer to spend money directly in the games i'm interested in.
That said, sure its a interesting service, better than anything else similar.