• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you buy Xbox Series X for the Netflix of gaming?

• Of course

Votes: 644 40.4%
  • Haven’t decided yet

Votes: 187 11.7%
  • Nah

Votes: 671 42.1%
  • I want my physical games, dude

Votes: 93 5.8%

• Total voters

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gamepass does nothing for me personally, plus there will be a point when MS puts the price up as I can't seem them continuing to offer it dirt cheap.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll be worth it, especially if Xbox secures some third party time and date releases on it too.

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
To me the secret weapon of Series X launch vs PS5 launch is the ability to get 3 launch titles (Halo, Forza, & mystery game) for $10.00 vs. $190+ w/tax if you were buying them separately.

I personally am looking at using the extra $200.00 I would spend on software at launch towards either a PS5 (depends on their launch lineup of exclusives?), or third party software.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
I don't know my xbox login data anymore plus I am too invested into the playstation eco system at this point. All my real life friends are on playstation as well so Game Pass is not a deciding factor for me. I would definitvely pay for something similar on ps5 though.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Nah for me, Gamepass will be for my PC, one less console to own. MS made it easy for me that PS5 /Switch consoles will be my primary purchases next gen. I might consider an Xbox Series X though close to the end of its lifecycle just to tinker with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I still have $1 ultimate upgrade option. This is tempting.

I didn't know that. Won't that get you banned, though?

No. I have been buying from the cheaper markets and not a single problem in the last 2 or 3 years

I have sharegaming (and share Xbox Ultimate on the console) with my friend and, for example, on the 3 years for 90 euros/dolars, i have only payed 45 euros/dolars

45 dolars to 3 years of Gamepass, with all MS 1st party games on day one.

Crazy deal.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Not at all. it's a great service, but the majority of what I play isn't on the service so i still want to see how GP continues on SX, how relevant my One X will be once next gen hits, power difference versus PS5, next gen games on Series X etc. It certainly doesn't hurt though.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, I'll just wait for psn now to match it if it becomes the norm in this industry. Want to stay in same ecosystem

SilentFlyer

Oct 26, 2017
No. I have been buying from the cheaper markets and not a single problem in the last 2 or 3 years

I have sharegaming (and share Xbox Ultimate on the console) with my friend and, for example, on the 3 years for 90 euros/dolars, i have only payed 45 euros/dolars

45 dolars to 3 years of Gamepass, with all MS 1st party games on day one.

Crazy deal.

Awesome.

May i know when do you buy from?

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
It'll be very interesting to see if the big budget true next gen Series X exclusive 1st party titles remain free on gamepass over the next few years. I think something will have to give, either the sub price goes up (most likely) or certain games won't be free.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Still debating if I'll go PC only or buy a new Xbox. Right now the Game Pass Library is better on the console, but there are things like paid multiplayer among other things. Will probably wait a year or so into next gen to see how it all shakes out.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
Gamepass is amazing, but I'ts difficult to have two consoles (I have no time). I have not decided yet what to do, but I think that PC and PS5 is the way to go for me next gen.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. It's nothing to do with physically owning games either. It's more does this platform have the games I cant play on any other platform and it's a resounding no.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On its own? Dont make me laugh.

Without a large variety of prominent third party games being released on the service on their release date, the service will continue to be a novelty.

I'd expect gamepass pc parity next gen anyway so I'd still pass.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes. I'm paid up until the end of 2021 anyway, so I feel pretty locked in.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
if your looking at buying a console and getting the best value for your money then xbox/gamepass is a no brainier

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't have time to play much anymore, I'll gladly reduce my spending in games and play whatever MS includes in the service, to which they add amazing games on the regalar anyway.

Bye bye backlog.

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome.

May i know when do you buy from?

I compare the best price here: https://www.xbox-now.com/pt/game-comparison

And buy the gift codes and live gold, from here:

Buying regulary from there and not a single problema in the last 2 or 3 years

But, i must advise, i am not responsable for any problems that can occur. There are many options on cheap gift codes from many key sites. I buy from here, but people are free to make their choices.

Apr 30, 2019
I bought 3 years of game pass ultimate for $98. Considering I also can use all my controllers, this should be the cheapest transition to next gen ever and I'm stoked.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
My PC/XB1 combo will be good until I find out what all the skus for the XBox series are going to be. But I can't see getting a Series X.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I need to see exclusive games that really take advantage of the hardware before upgrading.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
I started this gen with a PS4 and bought an Xbox One X in 2019. Since then I have barely turned on the PS4 and play the Xbox almost every day.

I don't know if I will be day one, I need to know more about the features and the price, but I am leaning hard towards Microsoft as my main platform next gen.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
No way. Unless the price is lower than what has been speculated, there's no way I would pay that much just for GamePass.

Now, if the rumored cheaper, weaker console is the right price, there's a shot I could do that.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No as I have Gamepass for PC. The console exclusives on the service aren't enough for me to pick up an Xbox as I can't switch from Sony/Nintendo as their first party games are my favorites. There's just not enough that's only on Xbox that's not on PC to justify it. Maybe if I decide not to upgrade my PC I'd think of just going back to owning all three consoles.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was at a mates house over the weekend and we wanted to play Halo LAN, the route to obtain Halo made me pause and remind myself how much gaming will change. He didn't buy the game, he just said he'll purchase Gamepass for a month, within a few minutes it was done. Crazy to think we might not have even considered a LAN session due to high cost barrier, this has been almost entirely removed.

Very shocked to see how many here, of all places have kind of done a u-turn on Xbox as an option. Next gen will be fun.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
No of course not. Major third party games will never go there day one on GP. There's too much money to be made digital or physical sales

and if Xbox isn't making XSX exclusives for first two years like Booty said (2022) then why would I buy XSX if all first party games will work on my One S and be free with GP?

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
No of course not. Major third party games will never go there day one on GP. There's too much money to be made digital or physical sales

and if Xbox isn't making XSX exclusives for first two years like Booty said (2022) then why would I buy XSX if all first party games will work on my One S and be free with GP?

You honestly think that the games are going to look the same on your One S?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I did blag my way to a Game Pass Ultimate subscription until the end of 2022, I'm not going to commit myself to buying a Series without knowing the full details, especially price. Ultimately, I remain to be convinced whether or not it's worth the upgrade over my One X.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
Yes! Gamepass is an amazing value, and I was able to play 4-5 of my favorite games of last year all thanks to the service (e.g. Metro Exodus, Rage 2, Gears 5, Slay the Spire, Outer Worlds). Just a great program, and every better, great games. Yes, I am very much in to getting a Series X to play all these games on an upgraded platform plus I immediately have access to any new software from MS at launch, vs buying $200 on new games on any other new system in addition to the cost of the unit. No brainer IMO.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
I only play 1-2 games per year and have no interest in any of the titles avaliable on gamepass at the moment so no
I guess its great value if you are constantly playing , have a wide range of taste and dont mind playing mostly "just OK" titles

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
We all know that Game Pass rocks with its steady stream of awesome games and day one 1st party releases from Xbox Game Studios. The value is there, but is it enough for you to invest in Xbox Series X and experience the Netflix of gaming in the highest quality?
Was it your intent to sound like a marketer?

Oct 27, 2017
You honestly think that the games are going to look the same on your One S?
No, but I really don't care. They will already run in upscaled 4K and HDR, so if I have to choose between a $500 Xbox SX or PS5, it makes zero sense to buy the XSX until I can see what type of games Xbox will make that require the purchase of a XSX. Apparently I won't see those at stores until 2022, so I imagine reveals in 2021?

either way, I can save my money until then. Why wouldn't I? By then XSX will probably be at least $100 off launch price($399) if not more knowing MS's price drop history. Hell, even 1 year after that, in 2023, is prime slim model territory so if I'm not going to have a single first party Xbox game I can't play on the Xbox I have, and I will already have a PS5 for multiplats and Sony first party, why wouldn't I wait until there's a $300ish Xbox Series X slim in fall 2023?

at the least, wait until we get Xbox SX exclusives for me

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first purchase will be a PS5 simply because of my massive PS4 library this generation that will be backwards compatible.

But I will be eyeballing a Series X after that. Probably within a year or so of launch. Game Pass is just too good a deal to pass up for long.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Game Pass has completely changed the way I shop for games and the system I mainly game on. Before game pass I would mainly buy on PSN during weekly and flash sales and I went months without turning on my One X. Since game pass I rarely turn on my Pro and I also bought my son an Xbox One to share game pass with. Every game I considered buying seems to show up on game pass. Even on black Friday I couldn't pull the trigger on games I would have bought before. I love the service and will get a series X on launch, though I do believe game pass is a trojan horse for the Series X much like PS+ was for the PlayStation 4 and it'll likely get gimped much the same way PS+ did. But I'm going to take advantage until it does.

PRBoricua23

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Game Pass is one of the greatest things to come from Microsoft since Windows, I love Game Pass, my kids LOVE Game Pass.

I'm all the way in.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
That depends solely on the 1st party day & date output alone.
Gamepass is the Netflix of gaming for better or worse. It's great in concept. There is tons of content, but few things I want to actually play (that I haven't already played). Most games hit the service a long time after release. If I had an interest in them I would have gotten around to them a lot sooner. Not saying it's bad, but I also don't sub Netflix and expect the latest blockbusters. I will buy a Series X and sub Gamepass if the 1st party output is good.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
If Phil manages to sustain the high quality then my plan for next gen is pretty much to just play Game Pass. Maybe buy a handful of other games every year. I absolutely love Sony's first party efforts and a few Nintendo franchises so I won't be loyal to the Series X though but Game Pass is a strong reason why I look forward to it.

Jun 22, 2018
There are so many games on game pass that are either brand new or games I wanted to play, but missed that there has been a pretty constant stream of things for me to play on it between PC and Xbox.

With all of their new studios releasing games straight to game pass it's going to get even better.

I will definitely be getting the Series X to help make the most of it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Until they fix Gamepass on PC, and make PC/XBOX library for gamepass 1:1 I won't come back until that happens. Going steam for Microsoft games until then.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not interested in the subscription service model.

I do want to own my games. I only have time for a handful of new games a year anyway. So carefully selecting 5-6 games a year to buy is more up my alley.