• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you buy Xbox Series X for the Netflix of gaming?

• Of course

Votes: 644 40.4%
  • Haven’t decided yet

Votes: 187 11.7%
  • Nah

Votes: 671 42.1%
  • I want my physical games, dude

Votes: 93 5.8%

• Total voters

Kamolahy

Oct 27, 2017
I no longer even think about the value of the console or games provided. I think about whether I need more guilt on top of my backlog. This informs almost all my purchase decisions.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
When it was cheap I cemented myself in gamepass ultimate for like 3 years I think

so I'm definitely buyingXSX

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
No it isn't. It wasn't even enough to buy a Xbone S at full price.
The only reason I bought a Xbone S was because I found it at 150€ with 3 months of GamesPass. You'll need more than that to sell a 500€ machine.

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
So you're asking about Xbox Series X in the thread title and your post yet the poll says Xbox One X. (Edit: it was fixed)

No, gamepass will not be the reason to buy XSX because I have an XOX that has gamepass already and they've said XSX games won't be exclusive for a few years.
You might change your tune when you see some of those non exclusive games with bumped up frame rates and ray tracing turned on. Maybe.

mgrimble2

Aug 21, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'm waiting for more into on the Series X and PS5 before I make a decision. It's going to be hard to convince the wife we need 2 brand new consoles this Fall so I'm thinking I'll have to pick one.

Game Pass is a huge factor in that decision for sure. At a few dollars per month over the next 2 years it's a no brainer.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Have a PC so I get most of the game pass value on that, but if third party support is there then I'd consider it for the "free" gold subscription and Xcloud

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Money saved with Gamepass provides more time; no more looking for discounts/sales or trying to reason why $60 for 10h of entertainment is a good value instead of $10 to subscription and $50 to investments.

But for some of us we are just going to buy what we like and what we know we have the time to put into them. I only have time for a few games. I try to limit it to a couple a year.

And even those are very particular. I haven't even played the a lot of the new fighters that came out this gen. Street fighter was the only one outside of injustice 2. Still havn't played FighterZ, MK11, or even tekken 7.

Just don't have time to put into those.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The thing about Gamepass is even if, given time constraints you played one indie game from the service in a month or one AA/AAA over two months in any given set of months it still represents value compared to purchasing the games.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly don't know how you say no. At the moment, even if you pay full-price, for the price of two full-priced games you get Xbox Live, all of Microsoft's first-party games at launch, and whatever 3rd party deals they're able to bring to the service for both PC AND Xbox. That value proposition is only going to get better as Microsoft's current stable, and whatever new developers they acquire, begin to make games under the Xbox Games Studio umbrella.

It's probably the biggest no brainer in gaming.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
If it's on PC then no. Buying a $400+ console with a $14 a month subscription doesn't make sense to me anymore. 80% of the games on Gamepass I don't even care about, 10% I try and drop, 5% I keep and say I'll come back and the other 5% I actually play. Id rather just buy the games I know I'm going to actually play rather then have a Netflix more is better approach.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
But for some of us we are just going to buy what we like and what we know we have the time to put into them. I only have time for a few games. I try to limit it to a couple a year.

Totally understandable and these services are not for everyone; when your aim is to master one game then buying is better option.
But Gamepass does provide easy way to try MK, Tekken, DB, KI and bunch of other fighters before buying.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Of course, no problem with that. Personally, prior to Game Pass I had bought at least two Microsoft games every year, so Game Pass simply replaced that with the additional benefit of other games along the way. With my kids requiring a family Gold account as it is, it doesn't cost me much (if anything) over the games I would have bought even if I didn't have Game Pass. Guaranteeing I have the digital versions of the games is also a benefit since we have multiple consoles in the home so they don't need to worry about transferring the discs around.

PS4 is similar for me with PS+ and various sales, to the point where I could probably make it through next gen with my backlog if I didn't buy anything else (but I certainly will occasionally).

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Totally understandable and these services are not for everyone; when your aim is to master one game then buying is better option.
But Gamepass does provide easy way to try MK, Tekken, DB, KI and bunch of other fighters before buying.

On PC? Didn't see those on the service when I had it this past November?

Just looked those are locked to XBox console Gamepass only. Which blows for those of us who would rather use PC for Gamepass.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I have it on my PC and the library is good for what I need it for, but if it's really that much more expansive on console, I've genuinely been thinking about it, yeah.

Whether or not it's over a PS5 is one thing, but the Xbox ecosystem has a way better chance of roping me in at the moment.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass might save me enough money to consider waiting to see if Lockhart pans out and get a PS5 in the meantime. Owning multiple next gen consoles early on would be new territory for me. I'll pad the power of Series X if Lockhart brings the value.

Whatever the case ends up being, I will definitely be getting MS next console, in part because of GP.

Aug 31, 2019
What I feel is that if you don't buy PS5 you will most definitely be missing amazing Sony first part games.
On the contrary if you don't buy Series X you won't be missing anything at all.

So, hot take... why MS is releasing a 'next gen' console at all anyway, if One X and ALSO PC can have all their first parties for the foreseeable future?
The Series X lies between a Xbox One X and a powerful PC, cost and performance wise. Microsoft is aiming at that market.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nah...

GamePass is on PC and MS has been showing they are porting their titles to it. I'm playing the Halo Collection now, will probably try and finish Hellblade later.
The new consoles won't match my system build when I rebuild it later this year/next year.

I'll pick up PS5 if they announce a good exclusive though. I need to see more out of the XBSX for me to pick one up.

Jun 22, 2018
When you hit a certain age, time is more valuable than money.
As I've gotten older I more appreciate being able to try games I was on the fence about without any real commitment or extra cost. That way if I don't end up liking the game, I don't feel obligated to waste a bunch more time playing it because I didn't just drop $60 on it.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
No.

If games are unique to the platform and are high-quality then I'll buy an XBOX Series X.

A subscription service isn't going to sway me.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, damn near ever split on yes/no, with only 5% coveting physical games. Who would've thought this at the Xbox One launch?

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
On PC? Didn't see those on the service when I had it this past November?

Just looked those are locked to XBox console Gamepass only. Which blows for those of us who would rather use PC for Gamepass.

True, but at least the PC-only Gamepass is much cheaper.
I have both PC and X1X and GP Ultimate up to 2022Q4, so X1X to XSX upgrade is just to improve console side experience.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
True, but at least the PC-only Gamepass is much cheaper.
I have both PC and X1X and GP Ultimate up to 2022Q4, so X1X to XSX upgrade is just to improve console side experience.

But who cares? If your not getting games that you would like to try on you preferred platform then whats the point? But, MS has 2 different library's of Gamepass. Which to me makes no sense, especially with their whole strat going forward of a hardware agnostic platform. If you can't share the games across PC, Xbox one x, xbox Series X, then whats the point?

Their goal should be to keep me glued to it. Like they just announced past year yakuza 0, kiwami, if they were to announce the whole series coming to gamepass for PC/Xbox, then I would bite.

Same goes for DMC V being only on xbox not PC. In a way they are curating two different library's when their goal has been to play the same library where ever you are.

So I guess we shall have to see how they fix this issue.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
It would be if I didn't already have an Xbox One X and a PC, but that might change if it's supremely powerful and similarly capable GPUs aren't competitively priced.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Absolutely not. If anything it's a good reason to get an Xbox One but if they're going to be sharing games through the service I don't even know what's the point of the Series X outside of Senua 2 (if that's your thing).

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
But who cares? If your not getting games that you would like to try on you preferred platform then whats the point? But, MS has 2 different library's of Gamepass. Which to me makes no sense, especially with their whole strat going forward of a hardware agnostic platform. If you can't share the games across PC, Xbox one x, xbox Series X, then whats the point?

I wouldn't have subscribed to Gamepass PC in its current form, as the GP value for me comes for support of both PC and console. It might improve in future, but sounds like in your case the GP is not worth for only PC. But "Is Game Pass enough value for you to buy Xbox Series X?"

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
I'm not sure game pass is a reason to buy a Series X machine. Maybe i'm misunderstanding your questions.

Either way, i'm already a game pass subscriber and i'll get a Series X when it releases, too.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I know I want a pc for the pc exclusives, so there is really no reason to buy an xbox as well. (same for me this gen as well).

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
What I feel is that if you don't buy PS5 you will most definitely be missing amazing Sony first part games.
On the contrary if you don't buy Series X you won't be missing anything at all.

So, hot take... why MS is releasing a 'next gen' console at all anyway, if One X and ALSO PC can have all their first parties for the foreseeable future?

What if someone doesn't have a One X or a PC?

What if there motivations extend beyond assumptions about how MS' first year of first party will stack up, qualitatively, against Sony's?

It really doesn't make any sense to suggest that MS should allow Sony to have exclusive access to the next-gen consumer market for an entire year. Even if you think it's a mistake for MS to hold onto their Next-Gen first party games for upto a year, the bigger mistake would be to allow a situation where Sony is the only next gen option gamers .

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Not initially no. Sony's got me on the hook for sequels to their action adventure games. But eventually I'll probably jump on since girlfriend and I both have PCs (mine's a bit older though).

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Dont like the concept of not owning my product so the value from the start isnt there. Dumping money into something i have no rights to once i miss a payment is not good for things traditionally known for ownership of the consumer.

Jun 22, 2018
I always end up buying all the consoles, but Game Pass has cemented the fact that Xbox will get the vast majority of my play time.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
You can still buy the game(s) on sale down the track. At 20% off too.

Are you talking on Steam? I tend not to buy fighters anymore, as like I said I don't have a ton of time, but if they were available on a service, I could play the campaign maybe play some arcade modes and survival.

Again this is a issue MS needs to figure out.

I wouldn't have subscribed to Gamepass PC in its current form, as the GP value for me comes for support of both PC and console. It might improve in future, but sounds like in your case the GP is not worth for only PC. But "Is Game Pass enough value for you to buy Xbox Series X?"

Well I did because I got 3 months for 10$ on CDKEYS. I played gears 5 when it came out and outer worlds. But that was about it, the rest of the back catalog available on PC is not super great.

And with the releases like DMC V, fighter z, tekken 7 being on xbox and not PC for gamepass, it's kind of a turn off. I like the fact they are bringing the Yakuza series to gamepass, and that the first 3 games will be available on both.

Hopefully the rest follow.

But again having 2 different curated library's defeats the purpose of their strat.

Dont like the concept of not owning my product so the value from the start isnt there. Dumping money into something i have no rights to once i miss a payment is not good for things traditionally known for ownership of the consumer.

That and the bigger issue is when they choose to take the game off the service or rotate the game out. PS+ has this issue, and it's why after a while I stopped subbing. Because down the road teh majority of games they were putting on there were on sale all the time.

Games are so cheap now on PSN at a monthly basis. I mean CDKEYS had Horizon complete edition for 6$.

I'll just own it.

Last edited:

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I mean, they already had me. There's usually barely anything on sony platforms for a good 2-3 years after launch so my choice of primary cosoel is effectively made.

But having 3 years of gamepass banked only makes that decision an even bigger no brainer. I've already saved money from not having to buy GTA, metro or witcher and that was just this year. So going forward that is going to hugely subsidize the cost of the series X. More powerful platform with like 75% of my favourite exclusives AND I only ahve to pay fro games if I really want to?

Easiest decision I ever made.