• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you buy Xbox Series X for the Netflix of gaming?

• Of course

Votes: 644 40.4%
  • Haven’t decided yet

Votes: 187 11.7%
  • Nah

Votes: 671 42.1%
  • I want my physical games, dude

Votes: 93 5.8%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
probably...

I could probably buy an X and gamepass, and manage without buying any games. The third party games would also save me money on PS5 games

I would need to be realistic with my backlog but if I can live 6-12 months without the 'latest' releases and just play on gamepass I'd probably be very happy. Limit my purchases to first party Sony stuff and really important games (to me)

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I can see myself getting a Series X within the first year, largely because of Game Pass. I'll get to experience a whole mess of Xbox One games I missed out on, as well as classic Xbox, 360, and eventually next-gen exclusive titles too. The value is insane!

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-by trolling and wars
Only if Game Pass includes Sony exclusives.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Nah. Gamepass isn't even enough for me to buy into Gamepass.

I subbed for a month and only played the Outer World and Cross Code and didn't even finish either them (I enjoyed them though).

I'm not really interested in subscription services aside from FF14 and PS+ and NSO subs when they go on sale.

Gamepass might appeal to me more if there was more Asian developed software - I'm not interested in most Western games aside from indies and I prefer to just buy indie games for cheap.

Even if I did like Game Pass buying new consoles is a dreadful chore, I won't touch any next gen console until several years after launch.

Last edited:

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
I currently own an Xbone x with Game pass. I like the service a lot but it's not enough for me to buy the SeX at launch. I'll wait at least 2 years to upgrade my xbox.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass will be enough to get me to try xcloud, but certainly not enough to shell out £400 on another box

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, yeah. Unless Sony comes out with the bombshell of PS Now being just as good as gamepass, im going to have to wait for a PS5 and buy the XSX first.

Having all the first party games out on there on day 1 is just too good, plus all the third parties. My XSX for the first year is literally just the console since I bet MS will include a year of gamepass with it.

When the PS5 manages to get a year+ worth of exclusives and the ones they have drop in price, ill buy it, though as I said things will get complicated if PS Now turns into gamepass. I dont think Sony will do it just yet, but idk, maybe they will.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
No, the Series X (if the rumored specs are true) is reason enough for me to buy one. Game Pass will just be the cherry.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty much looking at the Series X as a full replacement for my current XB1X, and having Gamepass to play whatever MS launch games there are is definitely a good value since it's already paid for anyway.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nah because I'm on PC. I just need them to improve the offerings there and fix the damn store.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
In my opinion, Game Pass is probably the most essential consumer product in gaming. I think it's worth owning both an Xbox and PC for it due to single-subscription co-op/crossplay, game differences, cross-save, and just how amazing the game selection is. It makes your life as a gamer significantly better.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Not right off. GamePass got me to swing from an Xbox One in my office as secondary system to buying and Xbox One X and setting it up as my primary living room system (with the PS4 Pro moving down to the office, especially since thats the best place for a permanent VR space) but I haven't bought a 4K TV for Netflix/etc. and with MS promising to support the Xbox One X 1:1 for at least the first 12-24 months of XsX's life I'm not really compelled to make a change.

Add that I have a good gaming PC in my office and a solid HTPC connected to the living room. I get great value out of Game Pass, but I don't need an XsX to keep doing that.

It would take some kind of support differentiation on XsX to make me go for it at this point, which is directly the opposite of what MS' narrative is on this. Thats a good thing on their part, but its going to have an impact on XsX sales.

In my opinion, Game Pass is probably the most essential consumer product in gaming. I think it's worth owning both an Xbox and PC for it due to single-subscription co-op/crossplay, game differences, cross-save, and just how amazing the game selection is. It makes your life as a gamer significantly better.
Eh, as someone who has that setup and plays them both regularly, the amount of cross-save games is far lower than it should/needs to be. If the XsX solved this I'd be more interested, but then I'd also wonder why they couldn't also do it on the XoX, as its likely a software/backend feature, not a hardware limit.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Im buying both systems day 1 but gamepass is why the xbox will be my main platform

Suddenly on a game enthusiast forum, people only got time for 2 games a year 🤔
For real, this happens anytime Microsoft does something well. If we get gamepass nobody plays games, if we get games in more places everyone buys pc nobody likes consoles, if they get an exclusive its not a AAA story game, if we get a story based game that dev makes bad games, if we get full bc nobody plays old games, if we get good news Phil Spencer is lying for pr. I love Sony games, I love Microsoft games, and I love some Nintendo games and I think most people here are not fanboys but the amount of hypocrisy on here is insane.

Last edited:

vastick

Banned
May 4, 2019
Yes, but not day one. I'll wait a couple of years like every other gen and if Game Pass is still as good, i'll get a Series X.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Not right off. GamePass got me to swing from an Xbox One in my office as secondary system to buying and Xbox One X and setting it up as my primary living room system (with the PS4 Pro moving down to the office, especially since thats the best place for a permanent VR space) but I haven't bought a 4K TV for Netflix/etc. and with MS promising to support the Xbox One X 1:1 for at least the first 12-24 months of XsX's life I'm not really compelled to make a change.

Add that I have a good gaming PC in my office and a solid HTPC connected to the living room. I get great value out of Game Pass, but I don't need an XsX to keep doing that.

It would take some kind of support differentiation on XsX to make me go for it at this point, which is directly the opposite of what MS' narrative is on this. Thats a good thing on their part, but its going to have an impact on XsX sales.

Eh, as someone who has that setup and plays them both regularly, the amount of cross-save games is far lower than it should/needs to be. If the XsX solved this I'd be more interested, but then I'd also wonder why they couldn't also do it on the XoX, as its likely a software/backend feature, not a hardware limit.

That feature is game dependent. All MS games that released after thier PC days, aside from basically Gears Ultimate and Quantum Break have it. There is also a seemingly increasing amount of other titles / indie games with it.

I think the current amount of games with it is good, and it's an amazing feature. Let's hope that with the rise if popularity in Game Pass, more and more games will feature play anywhere, or at least cross-save and crossplay. Personally, it's exciting just knowing Gears, Forza, Sea of thieves, and essentially every first-party MS game that has online, can be played in single-room co-op for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I feel like the slightly more practical part of my brain is trying to convince me to abandon my plans of a new PC this year (generally for Cyberpunk timeframe) and just get a Series X, but I dunno. I really want a new PC, and if I do that, thanks to Game Pass Ultimate, it feels redundant to buy a Series X when buying a PS5 would net me access to a library I have confidence will contain more exclusives up my alley, as has been the case for 4 generations now.

But MS don't care if I skip the Series X. Game Pass is giving them what they want regardless of the platform we're on, and it's a good deal. Again, the more practical part of me would say "just do Game Pass and don't buy games", and you'd still get to play a ton of huge titles each year and pay far less than someone who just buys stuff outright.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
That feature is game dependent. All MS games that released after thier PC days, aside from basically Gears Ultimate and Quantum Break have it. There is also a seemingly increasing amount of other titles / indie games with it.

I think the current amount of games with it is good, and it's an amazing feature. Let's hope that with the rise if popularity in Game Pass, more and more games will feature play anywhere, or at least cross-save and crossplay. Personally, it's exciting just knowing Gears, Forza, Sea of thieves, and essentially every first-party MS game that has online, can be played in single-room co-op for me.
I know its game specific, but there are a lot of partnership avenues where MS could have pushed to have it included.

Beyond that though, its greatest value is heavily tied to it being an OS side feature where its automatically available on every Game Pass title. Its an exponential curve of value, same as when Sony did it with the PS4 and Vita, yet never stuck with it long enough to really drive up usefulness.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
No, because I have GP on PC and MS isn't going to force me to buy a box with worse specs to play their games. Love what MS is doing lately.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I play regularly with a group of guys.. we were 360 last gen and decided to move to PS4 this gen when the shitshow of the original Xbox One plans were announced. I have totally skipped the Xbox One this gen but got Game Pass for PC about 6 month ago and have loved it. I've failed in my efforts to get them interested in switching back next gen so I'm unsure if I'll do it (I've previously refused to pay for online for two systems) or not. I suppose at a minimum I may get one just for Game Pass and not get XBL.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I'm very happy to play Switch exclusives + indies on Switch, Sony exclusives on Playstation and everything else on Gamepass for PC.
I have no desire to buy an XBox because my PC is already very good and is about to get even better with an upgrade that I'm planning to do (2800ti + i9 9900k + nvme m.2). I'll probably just keep the 16gb ram I already have because that doesn't seem to be changing.

Jun 22, 2018
I play regularly with a group of guys.. we were 360 last gen and decided to move to PS4 this gen when the shitshow of the original Xbox One plans were announced. I have totally skipped the Xbox One this gen but got Game Pass for PC about 6 month ago and have loved it. I've failed in my efforts to get them interested in switching back next gen so I'm unsure if I'll do it (I've previously refused to pay for online for two systems) or not. I suppose at a minimum I may get one just for Game Pass and not get XBL.
Game Pass Ultimate, which includes game pass on both PC and Console also includes XBL Gold.

So, if you're going to be paying for Game Pass on both platforms, you'll get XBL Gold included at no extra cost.

Oct 30, 2017
Suddenly on a game enthusiast forum, people only got time for 2 games a year 🤔
I really doubt people are lying about the frequency they game just to undermine the Xbox.
Some people really just enjoy a few select titles per year for new releases.

I only bought Resident Evil 2, DMC5, COD, Death Stranding, and Days Gone for new releases in 2019. And I got RE2, and Days Gone on the black Friday sale.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I'm already subbed to GP for pc. So long as first party games are also on pc, there isn't a reason for me to get any Xbox.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Game Pass Ultimate, which includes game pass on both PC and Console also includes XBL Gold.

So, if you're going to be paying for Game Pass on both platforms, you'll get XBL Gold included at no extra cost.
Yeah, that's a nice deal. I'd hate to be paying $15 a month though so I dunno how viable it will be for me. We'll see how it goes. $5 a month on PC this the sweet spot although I wish I could just buy a year for a discounted rate.

Jun 22, 2018
Yeah, that's a nice deal. I'd hate to be paying $15 a month though so I dunno how viable it will be for me. We'll see how it goes. $5 a month on PC this the sweet spot although I wish I could just buy a year for a discounted rate.
That's fair, just pointing out that if you were to get an Xbox for game pass, like you said you may, you still would have to pay $15 a month, unless you dropped game pass on PC.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
No, I'm going with PC + Playstation as usual.

Don't want to miss out on the Sony exclusives and I don't mind paying 60€ for them.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Last thing I need is to add games to my backlog.

At this point I only play games I am super interested in, which amounts to a handful of games per year. And those games won't be on game pass day one.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
The post you quoted is wrong. They may technically be Win32 but they have all the UWP limitations in place. You are not allowed to mod Game Pass games and they have the usual UWP issues when it comes to interacting with third party programs.

You wanted them to be "normal Windows programs". They are not.
Yeah, like a normal installation path and such.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Since first party games are day one Game Pass titles, I think at least some of the appeal will come from that. And if XSX brings with it enhancements to the back catalog, even more reason to upgrade.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
The beauty of Game Pass is it transfers to other Xboxes in your home. I have the original XB1 in the livingroom, a white XB1S in my daughters room, and a XB1 X in my room. We get to play all the games on each system. When the Series X comes out I'll just sign into my account and have all the games there for me. Its like buying a Roku. You sign in to Netflix and get to watch everything.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I really doubt people are lying about the frequency they game just to undermine the Xbox.
Some people really just enjoy a few select titles per year for new releases.

I only bought Resident Evil 2, DMC5, COD, Death Stranding, and Days Gone for new releases in 2019. And I got RE2, and Days Gone on the black Friday sale.
Yeah and the only game I paid for in 2019 was a destiny dlc for $40 but I played.....over 25 games this year thanks to Gamepass