• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Jason Schreier and Kirk Hamilton discussing SDT on episode 132 of the Kotaku podcast, Splitscreen.

Jason said and I qoute
I actually think based on what I've heard, I actually think the publisher of that game is going to surprise people.

You can find the link to the podcast below and they start to talk about Shadows Die Twice at around the 1h mark.
https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/kotaku-splitscreen/id1039413502?mt=2#

We knew this already, just another confirmation.

rostad

Oct 27, 2017
If there is anything like a souls-game I will be there day one.
My personal wish is for it to be a "voodoo-souls" game. Witch-doctors, zombies, infested monsters, vampires and something like "the church" who has been corrupt by their own cult when roaming something like the African continent for slaves and gold.

Character classes like diablo2´s Necromancer and Amazon.
Priests, knights and witches/witchdoctors and so on!

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
There's other things, but the teaser played into some Kuon elements on a few levels.
Thanks for explaining. That makes a lot more sense. The body horror stuff is familiar, but I must not have played enough or have since forgotten the story "shadow" stuff. I should check to see if my friend still has their copy. I never gave the game that much of a chance since from wasn't quite as prestigious a dev at the time.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't think this is teasing Kuon at all.

Also, I still don't see why From would make a sucessor to that game.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
This looks like the absolute perfect fit for a From Software game. I can't even cope with the environment and creature design they can explore with this IP.

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it is, i hope we'll get to see some gameplay, another teaser trailer would be awful.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I know almost nothing about Kuon but I really love the films Kwaidan, Onibaba and Kuroneko, and From Software are my favorite active developer. How excited should I be?

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
This would be a dream game for me if it plays out like a modern take on Kuon. From Software is still in blind buy territory for me and AAA survival horror has been anemic this gen.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my god if they're bringing Kuon back, that't be so awesome. Now give me Otogi 3 and I'll be completely happy

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I completely forgot the original game was by From. Colour me interested - it was one of the more distinctive PS2 horror games, and the atmosphere was excellent.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
No one said this is Kuon 2, just that it may be a source of inspiration, much like what King Field was for Souls initially.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd personally be overjoyed if it was a successor to Kuon. But in truth, I'd just love it if it was something completely detached from the Souls mold of games.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I'd personally be overjoyed if it was a successor to Kuon. But in truth, I'd just love it if it was something completely detached from the Souls mold of games.
This. They've done five games in a row now in that style (Bloodborne is amazing but a big lol at calling it "vastly different"), I love these games and I suspect they have another Souls-esque game in the works. But now's the time to do something different.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
It's most likely not gonna be full blown horror games people. I'm expecting an action game with more terrifying atmosphere than Bloodborne's scary parts.

So going by all the hints around, could it be that Activision is publishing it?

I think EA will be more surprising considering the lack of SP games from them. Acti at least funded some Platinum games and is making new Crash Bandicoot game as we speak.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On Kotakus Splitscreen Podcast today, Jason talked about the new From game and hints that it is not Bloodborne 2 and "people are going to be surprised when they find out who is publishing the game"

Oct 27, 2017
But the game aint called Bloodechoes now is it
Qxhr.gif

Has more Blood than Souls in the title tho.

3VIv.gif

I hope you know I am just having pre-E3 hype fun with you, lol. I agree with what you are saying.

Krakin

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
I'll be bummed if that's what Shadows turns out to be because I really wanted BB2.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Jason Schreier and Kirk Hamilton discussing SDT on episode 132 of the Kotaku podcast, Splitscreen.

Jason said and I qoute

You can find the link to the podcast below and they start to talk about Shadows Die Twice at around the 1h mark.
https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/kotaku-splitscreen/id1039413502?mt=2#

We knew this already, just another confirmation.
I am guessing there is further discussion on this somewhere?
I can only think of like 3 publishers that might surprise me. MS, Nintendo and like Konami.

One becaue MS hasn't bought any big exclusives in a while.

Nintendo because even though they said From is on board for Switch development, I don't think they'd go this direction with a new game. I would think PS4/Pc first.

Konami because up until a few days ago I didn't think they wanted to publish traditional games.

So I am interested.

Survival Horror isn't always my jam but if it is a more action/adv based game with a lot of survival horror elements I am down.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I can only think of like 3 publishers that might surprise me. MS, Nintendo and like Konami.

Nintendo because even though they said From is on board for Switch development, I don't think they'd go this direction with a new game. I would think PS4/Pc first.

Konami because up until a few days ago I didn't think they wanted to publish traditional games.

So I am interested.

Survival Horror isn't always my jam but if it is a more action/adv based game with a lot of survival horror elements I am down.

Yeah we have this and the game is not an exclusive.
The game is being published by a big Western Studio, and NOT Bethesda like many people seem to think.
SDT is not an exclusive.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So I am interested.

Can't be Microsoft or Nintendo because it isn't an exclusive. And Konami isn't a Western studio I believe. :P

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we have this and the game is not an exclusive.

Can't be Microsoft or Nintendo because it isn't an exclusive. And Konami isn't a Western studio I believe. :P

Yeah thats why I asked if there was more discussion elsewhere.

So not exclusive and it is Western published?

Damn. Thats tough. I guess it boils down to what/who is considered a western publisher.

The surprise for me would be THQ/Nordic.

Ubi, Acti, Ea are all big pubs that wouldn't surprise me. Okay I take that back. They all would a little since all three are pushing GAAS.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the publisher is Activision. That would certainly be a surprise.

Maybe Dusk trolling but...

Valve unveils a new game.
Microsoft reveals Crackdown 3 is releasing far sooner than people think.
Master Chief comes to PC properly.
Konami unveils a new game to contest another upcoming game.
FROM's new game is an act that's published by a western studio that no one's going to predict with their vision.
Capcom brings the goods on several fronts.
Sony has a lot more secrets up their sleeve than a-many people may suspect.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there go my hopes for an Enchanted Arms 2 if true.

For real though, I'm really excited to see what a modern Kuon would look like from current day From. They've well and truly trod the Soulsborne style for a long time now imo so I'm mostly interested in seeing them do something different for a change and I'm pretty sure so are they.