• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Gyro aiming was of course not invented by the Nintendo Switch but in under a year we've had a significant amount of titles make use of the feature from both first and third parties.

Nintendo have been using gyro controls since the 3DS's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. This exact control scheme would then be implemented into Majora's Mask 3D, The Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD and Breath of the Wild. In Zelda, gyro isn't a crucial input for general movement but rather a crutch that supplements traditional analog aiming. This is the case with almost all of Nintendo's use of gyro but it became a lot more prominent in 2015 with the release of Splatoon.

While Zelda certainly made a case for gyro enhancing the controls, Splatoon took it a step further by having them as a key pillar of the control scheme. This is where players really started to take notice of the possibilities of motion aiming and the benefits of mixing it with traditional analog movement. Nintendo would go on to implement forms of gyro controls into the vast majority of their in house 3D titles and it's here with the Switch that we not only see this becoming a norm for Nintendo, but also with some third parties.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2
DOOM
Resident Evil Revelations 1+2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
LA Noire

These all use gyro controls and every single one of these examples are high profile releases from major first and third party publishers.

What started off as a small addition to Ocarina of Time has become somewhat of a standard for major Switch releases and I believe this will only continue going forward. With the positivity surrounding DOOM's gyro controls it's only natural that Wolfenstein 2 will feature the very same mechanics and Capcom could very well implement their Revelations control scheme into other Resident Evil ports.

With gyro becoming a key component for shooters on Switch, it begs the question of when will this spread to other platforms? Many PC games of course support the feature with the Steam controller but what about the Dualshock 4 with its gyro sensor? Aiming with the typing interface feels great but why can't I use it for Uncharted 4 like I could in the Vita's Golden Abyss? Heck, why doesn't DOOM on PS4 support gyro when the Switch version does?

Well there are possible reasons; parity from third parties with the Xbox One controller which doesn't have a gyro sensor, added development time or perhaps the most possible, consumer perception of the feature.

It took Splatoon from Nintendo for players to truly believe in gyro controls and how they can benefit the shooter genre but the PlayStation 4 doesn't really have a game that pushes the feature, especially not one as high profile as a first party shooter. If gyro controls are to be found on other systems then a large franchise is going to need to push it for it to become the norm.

So while I have very little doubt that gyro is here to stay on Switch, its future on other platforms is uncertain. Maybe exposure on Switch is enough to push it elsewhere? I'm frankly not sure but I would love to hear your thoughts on the future of gyro aiming.

Splatoon2_5F00_port_2D00_610.jpg

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The other day I tried playing Battlefield 1 and I noticed how much I missed not being able to micro adjust my pointer and kept missing target for tiny margins.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Aiming with sticks works very well for me. Never understood the appeal of motion aiming. It doesn't feel good to aim with motion controls.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I use it on steam controller API all the time. PS4 controller and Steam Controller. I think the thing should be a OS level controller configuration like Steam Controller API instead. Let people pick what gyro and whatever else do themselves. It's amazing.

U6SzLhh.jpg

Not my vid, but I watched a live stream of this guy playing some hard mode chasing top scores in this game. It feels very natural.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW3B0slwCA0

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're vastly overestimating how many people really take advantage of it and it's appeal. It's going to always be something for the niche and the core to mess around with.

You're also looking to the wrong competitors. If there's anyone that's going to push it forward besides Nintendo, it's probably Apple.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Using it for microadjustments is fantastic and I'd love that in all games. I played Uncharted 4 after playing Breath of the Wild, and tried to move the Dualshock so many times hoping to nail headshots

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Somebody really loves gyro :P

I actually agree with you completely, OP, especially when gaming on consoles. In fact, I simply do not buy any game that requires precise aiming with an analog stick; it's such an archaic controlling mechanism that I'm actually surprised it's still being used today.

Don't get me wrong, analog sticks are great for rotating the camera, but moving a reticle with an analog stick is tantamount to moving your character around with your toes. It makes no fucking sense that this is still a thing.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I think some people still have Wii Remote pointing at sensor in their heads when they think of motion control, gyro isn't that and once you've gotten use to them in a game like Splatoon, its really hard to go back to sticks for aiming

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
For me it's a super important feature that might just bring me back to playing FPS on console. As a former PC gamer, I cannot stand the limitation with analog, and Gyro is the perfect complement.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
I think it's something that sets the Switch apart from the competition and can be a real deal sealer! I mean, in the other thread people were saying they were seriously buying doom for the first time or AGAIN just because of the motion controls update. I AM GOING TO FINISH MY SAVE THJHIS WEEK because it's they thing that lacked to the game for me. Splatoon broke silently all conventions about fps aiming in the Wii U and made me realize I prefer 100 time Gyro over basic controller scheme.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait for this conversation to steer into the fact some people don't want gyro to become more widespread because they know it's superior to sticks so they end up in a disadvantage in multiplayer.

I personally think options are always better, but as a Switch only gamer I usually get the choice at least.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
There's really no excuse for more games (single player at least) not using it on the PS4.
When I play a game and forget to set up gyro aim assist, it feels so flat and odd. It's like pointing at something in your mind but forgetting to raise your finger. The gyro aim touch feels like you're just pointing your controller in the place of moving a mouse. This is good for mouse cursor stuff too, but touch pad is probably more natural for mouse cursor pointing, dragging, and clicking.

Cursor manipulation with just gyro in this part.
https://youtu.be/SM0XgvF6oWk?t=166

Last edited:

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
As long as it's optional I would love it on every platform.
The gyro aiming in Zelda titles have been perfect, allowing me to complete a few minigames in Oot/MM on 3DS that I couldn't do in the N64 versions.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Its really useful for fine tuning your aim. Its also completely optional so I see no reason why not to spread it. It works absolutely fantastic.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I personally would not be able to consistently do stuff like this without the motion helping me fine tune my aim

Tz7XxqU.gif

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
no god no. I hated this in BotW and only sort of tolerate it in Splatoon. Ideally, I'd rather have consoles go Mouse & Keyboard if we're going for precision aiming, and controller with no gyro if we're going for comfort.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know everyone doesn't love it, but it seems like more are liking it as we go. It should be an optional feature for sure.

:Motorbass

Oct 28, 2017
no god no. I hated this in BotW and only sort of tolerate it in Splatoon. Ideally, I'd rather have consoles go Mouse & Keyboard if we're going for precision aiming, and controller with no gyro if we're going for comfort.
Many people love it and prefer it. So why do you want to limit the fun and precision for those people?

Molemitts

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed I can use the PS4 gyroscope on Steam games as mouse control, Dark Souls 3 does it by default on the menus for some reason, not that I ever would use that when a mouse is right infront of me, but it's nice that the option is there.

A problem for console, though, might be that gyro-aiming in online games becomes meta with people who use sticks at some aiming disadvantage. I remember people saying gyro was the best way to play Splatoon, but I couldn't get used to it so I just used the stick and still friccin pwnd at that game, but I guess that because I'm Very Good™ at video games and not at all because I was stomping on 10 year olds.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
Also, this is from 2006:

No developer used this feature after some titles in early ps3 era used them for minigames and such.Then Heavy Rain came along and used them full for the game. I can't remember any more AA or AAA games using ps3 gyro.
It could have pushed lots of games. Maybe they were not as refined as Wii's motion controls or gimmicks, but the fact that PS4 dualshock kept it is the more puzzling part for me.
Nobody apart from nintendo though of gyro aiming in shooters since 2006 and the technology was right there.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it will spread anytime soon, but I'm happy its at least becoming standard on Switch. At this point its started to really stick out when a game with aiming controls lacks gyro on Switch.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah. It's just better than sticks period. The only people I've seen even argue against this are ones who simply haven't been able to adjust to it.
From what I hear it's basically outright integral in Splatoon to remain competitive.

Was playing Revelations 2 on Switch recently, with aim assist off and gyro. 100% works super well, never vaguely come close to my target like with sticks, shots are always dead on.

Last edited:

Pickleslips

Jan 25, 2018
The way the sticks and the motion control work together on Switch / Wii U is so great I forget its there but miss it when it isn't.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
So you'd rather have the need for two additional peripherals that are not really compatible with lazy couch playing over using a feature that is becoming a standard in also all devices?

Honestly, I wonder if people still think all motion related controls = waggle.

Namko

Oct 27, 2017
Gyro aiming as an option should be the standard on every console.

non-believers will slowly accept it's much better in the long run.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't say i give a shit. Avoid it like the plague on the switch and I'll do the same with other consoles. One of the key reasons i can't get into splatoon.

So if by standard you mean as a frequent option, sure. As the primary schemes, fuck no.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to fine tune your aim in zelda felt fantastic, so yeah, i hope it becomes a standard option in all games.

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't know why it isn't the standard.

Everyone who says it doesn't feel good or its worse than twin sticks simply didn't play with it long enough.

I can still remember the days when the first FPSes with dual analog controls appeared and everyone said how shit it was. And here we are now.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
I love Gyro aiming, a lot of Vita games used it as the sticks on the console were so limited, it helped compensate for that a lot.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
People who oppose it are weird.

No one's advocating for forced gyro assist across the board. Let those PS4 owners who want it put their DS4 gyros to work, nobody's forcing YOU.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't care that much because playing FPS with a controller is trash in the first place, but I didn't like the implementation in splatoon 2 because you could only do it on one axis or something? I forget what it was like but I didn't like using it which made me stop playing the game because fuck playing with sticks.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Yep it feels great in Gravity Rush! I always felt it was a tiny bit clunky in the Vita version but the PS4 remaster was extremely fluid.
Most shooters are fine when you have both thumbs on the stick at all times and shooting with triggers but when you have to press one of the buttons to use powers, I always love gyro aiming, in this case the stasis field.
I tried splatoon 2 beta with gyro and it felt weird, although I find it to be extremely useful in BOTW.