• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): History of trolling and baiting.
tabata2.jpg

Tabata, or "Tabby" which he is called among fans, more or less came from nowhere, took over the mess that XV was at the time and got it out on the shelves. While some weren't convinced by his story telling, its one of the best selling games in the series. It basically sold and is still selling like hot cakes. Haters can say whatever they want, its still huge success for him and Square.

496119-SWE1.jpg

Many predict that lifetime sales for it will exceed 10 mill. This is definitely not something that anyone could pull off.

It came as no surprise that Square rewarded him with his own studio - and they are already hard at work on a new AAA title. You could say that if you search up "A success story" in a dictionary, there will be a picture of a smiling Tabata.

Hajime_Tabata_2015-pc-games_b2article_artwork.jpg

While he for me personally has a lot to prove with his next title, after the XV success and getting his own studio - is it an exaggeration to call Tabby one of the hottest rising directors in the gaming industry at the moment?

ffxv-tabata-turn-10-microsoft-forza.jpg

Also, when do you think we will see a teaser of his next project? This e3? Next e3?

tabata.jpg

The word is yours!

Last edited:

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having played all his games, not really. But he seems to work hard so he deserves to get rewarded.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
"coming from nowhere"

He directed pretty big SQEX projects on PSP, including Crisis Core which was, at the time, one of the most important projects in the FF franchise outside mainline games.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude what
ciSsNLR.png

Hidetaka Miyazaki, maybe you've heard of him.

Azajabar

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Monk's Cafe
to be fair he saved FFXV from years of development hell, the result wasn't to my liking but he did a good job, so looking forward to his next project

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm not sure if the entire OP post is meant to be taken as satire or sarcasm or just another tensai thing, but you're definitely asking that question to the wrong forum lol!

As for me, I still hope to see Type-1 get worked on again and finished.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
It is a fact that Tabata san is the best gaming director in the universe.

Also OP, you are very weird.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Lol no, as others have said, Miyazaki, Yoko Taro are way bigger. I would even argue that Horizon ZD Director Herman Hulst is bigger than him (though he's a Managing Director, not a Game Director).

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
They literally could have put any other Square director besides Nomura on XV and the game would have ended up better.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Dude what
ciSsNLR.png

Hidetaka Miyazaki, maybe you've heard of him.

This would have been an applicable answer back in 2012-2015, riding on the heels of his two most critically acclaimed titles, when people were heinously comparing everything to Dark Souls even more than they are now. The general consensus of disappointment with DSII only fueled the growing attachment for Miyazaki, but I'd say his popularity has plateaued since 2016.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
He is a true tensai which is so rare in the gaming industry, he is rising to the top for sure.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
Lol no, as others have said, Miyazaki, Yoko Taro are way bigger. I would even argue that Horizon ZD Director Herman Hulst is bigger than him (though he's a Managing Director, not a Game Director).
Taro is bigger? Perhaps in a niche circle. But outside from Nier Automata no one knew him.

Tabata was known from his work on Type-0, Crisis Core and now FFXV. Also unlike Taro, he is doing more than just directing a game and this includes leading a studio and research and dev team at SE.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that this thread is a some kind of satire or irony considering your thread of Square Enix some days ago lol But yeah, I think he's rising but not as a director, more as employer of Square Enix considering that he's promoted to CEO of it's own studio.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
?_?

Most of his games have been bad so not at all
Yoko Taro gets the argument maybe, but even then it's iffy considering the fact he made infinite amounts of failures first.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

It not selling like hotcakes. It ship 5 million at launch and it took till March 2018 to sell over 7m. It is not reaching 10 million without a rerelease. The right answer is this guy.
barlog-8ee20855-0f1a-4580-859f-d913354b4a2b.jpg

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Like others have already said, that title belongs to Yoko Taro and rightfully so.

RyrfLOy.jpg

Last edited:

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess? SE obviously believes in him after what he did with FFXV, the studio he got is proof of that. What we think of the quality of his works might not be relevant if the publisher themselves like him so much.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whats so good about XV? The released game was an incomplete franken game. Then they want you to pay for shit that should've been explained in the game and goes all kinds of places (bad TPS, stealth etc). The DLC support is just Square catching on to modern times. But compared to a product like TW3, that story was pretty much finished within the base game. The DLC is just icing on the cake, not some stuff that should've been there to begin with. RPG DLC should be icing on the cake.

Type 0 and XV are trash so no

This.

And 3TB doesn't even exist.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Taro is bigger? Perhaps in a niche circle. But outside from Nier Automata no one knew him.

Tabata was known from his work on Type-0, Crisis Core and now FFXV. Also unlike Taro, he is doing more than just directing a game and this includes leading a studio and research and dev team at SE.

But who's quoting Tabata in a meme-worthy sense, or posting hilarious quotes/videos of him because of the inane and quirky things he's said? Tabata is responsible for obviously more financially successful games (it's FFXV FFS) but he's not nearly as associated with FF as Taro is with Nier. Taro has made that series his own, and is more of a star and personality than Tabata is. The only folks who recognizes Tabata for FFXV exist in a niche circle anyway, and there's a hugely overlapping, and distinctly larger, niche circle that recognizes Yoko Taro for Nier Automata.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is every single post you make about Tabata extremely passive aggressive and obviously you false flagging just to shitpost?

Tabby seems to be a nice guy but everything he touches seems to turn into shit. Type 0 is a melting pot of bad decisions and poor storytelling, just like FFXV.
Alright, everyone, I apologize.

I was probably more hyped for FFXV than anyone in here, for over 10 years. I went to Japan more than 20 times ONLY to attend FFXV events through the years (to get limited items items etc) even though they were streamed. I was one of them.

How disappointing the final game turned out to be just hurts too much, and see how they try to polish it just makes me irritated. But there is a big fan demand for it, OK, I apologize, I understand, peace out. PEACE.
- Fantasy setting like FF9
- Diverse fantasy characters, no more Backstreet Boys
- Epic diverse enviroments like FF9
- No need for open world, they can even bring back the FFX world map, focus on specific environments/cities/dungeouns and make them super detailed and rich
- No Tabata, do not even let him inside the office where the next mainline FF is being developed
- Well told, straightforward story with twists and maybe the death of a character like in FF7
- Loads of cities to explore
- Better combat, bring ATB back as an option

etc, and you have the perfect FF16.

But I swear Square will just f*ck it all up again with some weird concepts and ideas.
Really surprised that fans want that much more of one of the worst game in the series.
Also to hear that Tabata is directing another game gives me the shivers. Get ready for another poorly told generic story and loads of bad design choices.

Last edited:

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
But who's quoting Tabata in a meme-worthy sense, or posting hilarious quotes/videos of him because of the inane and quirky things he's said? Tabata is responsible for obviously more financially successful games (it's FFXV FFS) but he's not nearly as associated with FF as Taro is with Nier. Taro has made that series his own, and is more of a star and personality than Tabata is. The only folks who appreciate Tabata for FFXV exist in a niche circle anyway, and it's a hugely overlapping, and distinctly larger, niche circle that appreciates Yoko Taro for Nier Automata.
Tell me about him once he leads a studio to develop a critically hit game of his own. He got rather lucky that Platinum Games were there to help him get good gameplay for Nier otherwise he has created failures one after another. He is a good story teller though and I don't doubt it.

If meme is the way to judge a director, Tabata has his fair share of own.

FF is never going to be associated to a single director. It will be always Sakaguchi's baby so weird to compare it with Nier.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
But who's quoting Tabata in a meme-worthy sense, or posting hilarious quotes/videos of him because of the inane and quirky things he's said? Tabata is responsible for obviously more financially successful games (it's FFXV FFS) but he's not nearly as associated with FF as Taro is with Nier. Taro has made that series his own, and is more of a star and personality than Tabata is. The only folks who appreciate Tabata for FFXV exist in a niche circle anyway, and there's a hugely overlapping, and distinctly larger, niche circle that appreciates Yoko Taro for Nier Automata.
That's true but if we wanna take this OP seriously it's not really about the most iconic game director. Tabata has just been appointed head of his own studio after the planetary hit that was FFXV so I also think he fits that category more than Taro.

Status
Not open for further replies.