• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you happy with HBO right now?

• Yes, plan on keeping it for a while

Votes: 133 61.3%
  • No, canceled recently or plan on canceling

Votes: 42 19.4%
  • Fuck you D&D, canceled right after GoT

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • Never got HBO, it’s overrated

Votes: 22 10.1%

• Total voters

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
No matter your feelings on game of thrones that was a major reason why people got HBO. It being the highest monthly streaming service costing a whopping 15$ a month, it's not an easy sell. I'm just wondering if you guys are still enjoying your HBO subscription or if you canceled right after GoT?

Personally I'm super happy with the content coming out. I just caught up to Barry which was fucking phenomenal, a comedy that is hilarious but also heart breaking!! If bill hader doesn't win and Emmy then that shit is rigged!

Chernobyl was absolutely phenomenal also! Like I didn't know shit about Chernobyl until I saw this. What a disaster that was but man it could have been so much worse. This has best mini series in the bag.

Then ongoing right now you have euphoria. This is a train wreck I can't look away from. I personally think it's really good and the acting is ace, but man it's so fucking depressing. Going to have to finish it becuase like I said it's a train wreck you can't look away from...

Then I watched the night of which is probably my favorite mini series, but Chernobyl might beat it I don't know. Point is HBO makes amazing mini series. Then I have to watch big little lies which I've heard nothing but good things from. The upcoming watchman and James mkcavoh series have me highly intrigued. Then of course there's the prequels to GoT which I will undoubtedly watch.

So overall I'm really enjoying my HBO subscription. I will switch over to that WB service once that comes out because it's like a dollar more so why not for the WB movies.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Generally, yes. I cancelled when Barry/Chernobyl ended to save a few bucks, and will renew when Succession S2 starts, but I usually have a subscription year-round.

Oct 27, 2017
I am keeping HBO Now a bit longer in case I decide I'm gonna rewatch Deadwood so I can watch the movie. Other than that, nah.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
It always has something that prevents me from cancelling it. I'll cancel it when GoT is done... when Chernobyl's done... when Big Little Lies is done ...

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
oh for sure. their original stuff is all great and they have a massive back catalog of great stuff to work through. their movie selection is... okay ish.

their content is leagues better than netflix and other options.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I pay for HBO as part of my cable package and there is always something on there I enjoy watching whether it's one of their news programs like John Oliver and Axios or their original series, documentaries and movies. We rarely ever watch the theatrical movies they show, we get it for all the original programming (and there's plenty of stuff we didn't watch as it originally aired that we're going through now like Six Feet Under).

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
All of these services are better to just keep for a month or two, catch up on everything, then drop and go to the next one. That's what the smart kids do.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
They are but I get off and on at different times. Gonna stop soon and re sub when Succession, Watchmen, and His Dark Materials is up.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Barry, High Maintenance, we all hope Watchman too, and most of HBO's original series library make it worth it. My issue is I have seen 99% of everything in the HBO original library. My Sunday nights since 1999 have been HBO Sunday nights. That said last year was the first time since 99 that I got rid of HBO until something came on that I wanted to watch. I did get it again to watch Barry and GoT, but I am canceling it for the time being (I liked Big Little Lies season 1, but I have no desire to watch a season 2 of it). I think the last HBO drama (besides Chrenobyl which is a mini-series) I watched that I consider on the level of the 2000's HBO was season 2 of The Leftovers. That said Barry (not a drama) is right there quality wise.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I keep it because I watch a lot of stuff on it, GOT wasn't really why I had it. There is a new Danny McBride show coming so that right there keeps me interested.

And as someone who doesn't go to the theater or rent movies the movie selection while smaller than Netflix and Hulu is a hell of a lot more current.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
O shit it is I didn't realize that 😮 The wire is one of the best series put on TV!!
You better get on it!

I think it's ptobably my favorite Franco role/s and Gyllenhaal is incredible in it. The whole cast is fantastic.

I only got it recently to watch the final season of GoT. Canceled right after because they don't have anything else I would watch.
You should reconsider what you would be willing to watch. GoT was hardly among their best.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean if all you've ever watched of HBO is the shows you've listed in your OP, you're actively fucking up.

- Six Feet Under
- Sopranos
- The Wire
- Entourage
- Veep
- Boardwalk Empire
- Band of Brothers
- Insecure
- Random Acts of Flyness
- Newsroom
- Westworld
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Oz
- Deadwood
- Carnivale
- East Bound And Down

Like, you haven't even started HBO's good shows yet. Go enjoy yourself. Start at the top of the list. The first few in particular are some of the greatest shows start to finish in the history of television. Rich, complex, deep, emotional, crazy, award-winning shows. The greatest in my opinion. Check those IMDB scores for further confirmation, should you need it. Some of these shows are used as teaching material in elite college sociology and psychology classes.

Everyone would be well served by watching most if not all of the above.

I only got it recently to watch the final season of GoT. Canceled right after because they don't have anything else I would watch.
this is what *actively fucking up* looks like.

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
O ya I forgot about that Danny McBride show coming up about the holy people. Now that looks absolutely stellar and I love the workaholics dude and John Goodman!!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if all you've ever watched of HBO is the shows you've listed in your OP, you're actively fucking up.

- Six Feet Under
- Sopranos
- The Wire
- Entourage
- Veep
- Boardwalk Empire
- Band of Brothers
- Insecure
- Random Acts of Flyness
- Newsroom
- Westworld
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Oz
- Deadwood
- Carnivale
- East Bound And Down

Like, you haven't even started HBO's good shows yet. Go enjoy yourself. Start at the top of the list. The first few in particular are some of the greatest shows start to finish in the history of television. Rich, complex, deep, emotional, crazy shows. The greatest in my opinion. Check those IMDB scores for further confirmation, should you need it.

The Deuce and Sharp Objects are better than half the shows you listed.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Will renew when Westworld comes back. With Comcast as their overlords I doubt the quality of programming will be maintained.

scott97

Jan 22, 2019

- Six Feet Under
- Sopranos
- The Wire
- Entourage
- Veep
- Boardwalk Empire
- Band of Brothers
- Insecure
- Random Acts of Flyness
- Newsroom
- Westworld
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Oz
- Deadwood
- Carnivale
- East Bound And Down

Like, you haven't even started HBO's good shows yet. Go enjoy yourself. Start at the top of the list. The first few in particular are some of the greatest shows start to finish in the history of television. Rich, complex, deep, emotional, crazy shows. The greatest in my opinion. Check those IMDB scores for further confirmation, should you need it.

If you have Amazon Prime though, there's a decent amount of older HBO shows on there - might diminish the value of the library for some. I'm surprised HBO hasn't or isn't thinking about licensing less to Amazon if they want to increase their subscriptions.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Barry is incredible, and True Detective season 3 was really solid. Not as good as the first, but way better than the 2nd.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I do find it interesting that HBO has removed all of their late night adult programming and isn't making any more. All those episodes of Real Sex, Cathouse, etc. lost forever.

Will renew when Westworld comes back. With Comcast as their overlords I doubt the quality of programming will be maintained.

Huh? Comcast doesn't own HBO, WarnerMedia does.

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah

- Six Feet Under
- Sopranos
- Veep
- Boardwalk Empire
- Band of Brothers
- Insecure
- Random Acts of Flyness
- Newsroom
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Oz
- Deadwood
- Carnivale
- East Bound And down
Deleted the ones I've seen which were all amazing. Will definitely check out the rest for sure 👌

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no. After the mess that was season 8 of Game of Thrones why would I want to continue paying $15 a month especially if there is nothing else I want to watch? $15 almost covers both Disney plus and Netflix.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
If you have Amazon Prime though, there's a decent amount of older HBO shows on there - might diminish the value of the library for some. I'm surprised HBO hasn't or isn't thinking about licensing less to Amazon if they want to increase their subscriptions.
I see. Sure if you have other avenues to watch those shows immediately available then there isn't strong reason to hold onto an HBO sub.

Deleted the ones I've seen which were all amazing. Will definitely check out the rest for sure 👌
good man.the top three are life-changing works, actually. I'll probably make a thread on why soon. They are must-see works of art.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Never gonna cancel HBO. They've got the goat catalog, not even including new shows.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
HBO is great. The HBO GO app was recently updated on Samsung smart tvs and now it is even better. GoT, The Wire, The sopranos, True Detective, my wonderful friend and many others available.

Nov 1, 2017

- Six Feet Under
- Sopranos
- The Wire
- Entourage
- Veep
- Boardwalk Empire
- Band of Brothers
- Insecure
- Random Acts of Flyness
- Newsroom
- Westworld
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Oz
- Deadwood
- Carnivale
- East Bound And Down

Like, you haven't even started HBO's good shows yet. Go enjoy yourself. Start at the top of the list. The first few in particular are some of the greatest shows start to finish in the history of television. Rich, complex, deep, emotional, crazy, award-winning shows. The greatest in my opinion. Check those IMDB scores for further confirmation, should you need it. Some of these shows are used as teaching material in elite college sociology and psychology classes.

+Enlightened and Flight of the Conchords. And Silicon Valley. And The Pacific. And The Leftovers.

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Gotta say I don't know if HBO uses the same casting person for all there shows or if the shows do it themselves, but like no other provider has better casting like it's not even close.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I should probably cancel at some point, as I don't use it that frequently, and $15 is fairly steep. But Barry's been good, True Detective S3 was good, Succession S2 isn't that far away, and I do still watch John Oliver now and then.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN

- Six Feet Under
- Sopranos
- The Wire
- Entourage
- Veep
- Boardwalk Empire
- Band of Brothers
- Insecure
- Random Acts of Flyness
- Newsroom
- Westworld
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Oz
- Deadwood
- Carnivale
- East Bound And Down

I have seen everyone of these, but Random Acts of Flyness. That said Westworld doesn't belong on that list. Also Entourage doesn't hold up well in 2019, and Carnivale might be the most underrated show on that list.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
We usually just subscribe for two months or so once or twice a year and watch the shows we want to watch. Much cheaper.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
If I lost every other streaming service I would still keep HBO. Having access to most all of their series is truly amazing to me.