• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you happy with HBO right now?

• Yes, plan on keeping it for a while

Votes: 133 61.3%
  • No, canceled recently or plan on canceling

Votes: 42 19.4%
  • Fuck you D&D, canceled right after GoT

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • Never got HBO, it’s overrated

Votes: 22 10.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Big Little Lies and Chernobyl was great.

There's also His Dark Materials coming, which I'm excited about.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
We usually just subscribe for two months or so once or twice a year and watch the shows we want to watch. Much cheaper.

This is what I do with Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax. I subscribe once or twice a year for a month and catch up on the shows I want to watch. About ready to re-up to Cinemax to watch Warrior. That said HBO had a 10 year run where you couldn't do that, because every show they had was that good. Not so anymore.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
IMO, they still have by far the best original programming. Even their selection of movies is pretty decent, I do find even older movies on there to watch.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
If I had to chose between any of the streaming services I have, I would keep HBO and cancel the rest. I still have tons of shows to watch and a lot of them got great reviews. Chernobyl is the best thing I've seen all year on tv.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Kept it for Big Little Lies season 2 and I still need to watch VEEP. I'm a fan of a lot of the original programs HBO delivers so I'll likely keep it for the foreseeable future.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
No. GoT, Veep and Barry were great and totally worth it but when I look at the new lineup and stuff coming out - Euphoria, Years and Years, Sharp Objects, etc none of it is interesting to me personally.

I might resub for a time when the final season of Silicon Valley airs and catch up on stuff I missed but HBO definitely feels like a CBS All Access thing now, where I can sub for a month or two every year and get everything thats good in a short burst. Netflix I keep on because every month they still have stuff I find new and interesting but they aren't very far from the sub-for-3-unsub-for-6 category.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I have a hard time arguing it's worth 15 bucks a month, continually. Like most services, you can just pick it up every few months and binge, with the added benefit that the stuff you're really subscribing for is never leaving the service. There's no financial incentive to subscribe for longer that I know of. If you have a cable/satellite package, you'll even get deals offered to you when you don't have it active. If I weren't getting it "free" because of AT&T I would have dropped it by now, again.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time arguing it's worth 15 bucks a month, continually. Like most services, you can just pick it up every few months and binge, with the added benefit that the stuff you're really subscribing for is never leaving the service. There's no financial incentive to subscribe for longer that I know of. If you have a cable/satellite package, you'll even get deals offered to you when you don't have it active. If I weren't getting it "free" because of AT&T I would have dropped it by now, again.

Agreed. It's a steep price, but there are good shows on there. Silicon Valley, Barry, Curb, Chernobyl - all fantastic.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I keep telling myself we're going to cancel it, but never do. Something is always coming out to prevent it. I have not watched Chernobyl yet. Might start that today actually. Same with Big Little Lies. New Danny McBride show comes out later as well.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Also - I should point out that I'm old enough now that the movie selection on HBO is appealing to me. I'm so busy and I rarely go to the movies-then I look at the movie selection on HBO and I never got around to seeing them.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
HBO has done a fairly good job of sprinkling in enough good content through the year, where we have a sub about 8-9 months of the year.

Plus we like having one premium channel for some of those premium movies.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of good stuff on there. I hope to see them do more quality drama mini series like Chernobyl, but Barry is a great show, and there's plenty more that I either want to get into or plan to. I know it's available on other services, but I've never seen Deadwood all the way for example. And they seem to have some things in the pipeline I'd be interested in, like that new comedy series with John Goodman because I'll watch literally anything with John Goodman in it.

Oddly enough Game of Thrones is not anywhere on my radar And really never has been, though I flip-flopped on whether not I should watch it over the years.

They also have good documentaries

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Sure. I need my BLL rich white woman drama plus I'm catching up on Veep and eventually Barry. Succession S2 in August (watch this show folks), than His Dark Materials/Watchmen later this year.

Occasionally they put up a movie I want to watch and I feel my sub fee is justified.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't watch Barry - I highly recommend it. There's one episode in season 2 that is one of the best single episodes of TV I've ever seen.

The martial arts dad and his daughter

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
HBO Nordic is only ten euros a month but no 4K and HDR makes it pretty useless.

fdst1983

Aug 26, 2018
Just started watching The Leftovers. Man's, it's going to be a good ride 😊 here in Portugal, it cost 5€ a month. I think it's OK for who never saw: Got, sopranos, the wire, six feet under, etc

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but only because it comes for free with my wireless from now on until I change my wireless plan.

I didn't pay for it before and am unlikely to pay for it otherwise

opus

Oct 25, 2017
HBO will be the king when it finally moves onto WarnerMedia. They know it will be the flagship of their streaming content.

I work for WarnerMedia on the team that's currently building this thing. And based on what I've seen in terms of content that's going to be available on it, it's got the potential to immediately be a big player.

Apr 19, 2018
In recent memory, Barry, Game of Thrones, Westworld, True Detective, and Sharp Objects has made my HBO Go subscription worthwhile.

I still need to catch up on Chernobyl, and I'm looking forward to His Dark Materials next, so I'm still holding on to HBO for the foreseeable future

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have a great upcoming slate. GoT Prequel, Lovecraft Country, His Dark Materials, Contraband (Fka Demimonde, the new Bad Robot series), Watchmen, The Third Day, The Gilded Age, The Time Traveler's Wife, The New Pope (Young Pope Sequel series), The Righteous Gemstones, More Curb Your Enthusiasm, More Barry, and others.

I think they're in for a few really strong years.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I work for WarnerMedia on the team that's currently building this thing. And based on what I've seen in terms of content that's going to be available on it, it's got the potential to immediately be a big player.

Can you fix the abysmal black crush in the current HBO streaming app? That's my biggest request.

The amazon feed of HBO is better, but the HBO NOW and GO is just embarrassingly bad.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Almost every season of a show I have actually finished this year has been from HBO.

Crashing, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, Barry, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Watched a few movies too like Phantom Thread.

I will be watching Big Little Lies and Succession as well.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Damn how did I not even realize that the Warner app would have HBO. So you're telling me DC Universe and HBO will eventually be under the same umbrella? Wild.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Realistic dramas aren't our thing, we were pretty much just keeping it for GoT and Westworld.
Given how disappointed we were with S2 of WW, we cancelled right after GoT ended.
We'll see if Watchmen and HdM can deliver before re subbing.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
HBO is definitely my favorite service alongside Netflix. Euphoria is great. As is Chernobyl. Plus they have the best catalog of series I think of any service

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
How has Danny McBride been mentioned several times but not Vice Principals. That show's incredible, and quite short and self-contained too.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have HBO on it's on, but it's exclusive to Now TV here and I happily take that and I don't miss Netflix at all. HBO's hit rate is still good and they are more likely to get truly special shows like Chernobyl.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Every time you wanna leave they put out a new amazing show. I was planning to cancel for a bit after GOT but then decided to catch up/finish Crashing.. then watched Big Little Lies s1 and was like shit this is so good so now we gotta wait til S2 is over. And still need to watch Chernobyl. And there's that weird looking show starting next week (maybe this week?) on Mondays that looked great.. and then Watchmen will be on soon. They don't put out a lot of content but most of what they do is must see.

It's tough to give up. I wish the fuckers would drop the price to say $12 though..

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I would keep it for John Oliver, Real Sports, and their Documentaries.
Fortunately I enjoy the shit out of so many of their other shows, as does my wife.
Currently watching Big Little Lies, Euphoria and Los Espookys.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GoT was a fuckin wet fart, but the Deadwood movie, Chernobyl, and Barry are all incredible. I'm cancelling for now but I'm sure there will be something to watch later this year.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
HBO has tons of great programming. Easily worth it. A lot more so than something like Disney + at least.

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
Going to cancel after Game of thrones ends

Going to cancel after Chernobly ends

Going to cancel after Euphoria ends

God dammit HBO

_illmatic_

Jan 8, 2018
HBO has always had great original content. Also some of the best shows on TV. I keep mine year around, no question.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
Let me just CMA here and say this is all my opinion and speculation, and I'm not disclosing anything that hasn't already been publicly announced.

Can you fix the abysmal black crush in the current HBO streaming app? That's my biggest request.

The amazon feed of HBO is better, but the HBO NOW and GO is just embarrassingly bad.

That's my biggest personal frustration with the product ATM. Everyone is very aware of the improvements that need to be made to video quality.

Damn how did I not even realize that the Warner app would have HBO. So you're telling me DC Universe and HBO will eventually be under the same umbrella? Wild.

I think if you look at the properties WM owns (Warner Bros., Turner, HBO, Cinemax, DC, FilmStruck, etc.,) it should give you a solid idea of the lineup we'll have. I can't wait to see what the final catalog looks like.

Are the rumors true about the 16-17$ start point including HBO?

I don't believe that's been finalized yet.