• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy has an excellent body of works but he seems to be extremely underutilized.

It's been 5 years since Dragon's Dogma and there hasn't been a single full new game released with him directing since. The only game he released since then is DMC4SE, an update with a short dev time.

He has talked often about wanting to work on Rival Schools 3, create a new fighter that redefines fighting games like SF2 did, Dragon's Dogma 2, Power Stone 3 and more. The new playable characters in DMC4SE show that he and his team are still kings of the genre.

This is a guy who clearly has a ton of ideas and potential but seems to be sitting on his hands for years because of Capcom. Sure DMC5 is heavily rumored to be in development but even if it is announced this year and released in 2018 or 2019, that's still the first full new game by him in 6-7 years.

It really feels like we are being robbed of amazing games.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the notable hang-ups of Japanese developers tending to stay with one specific publisher for their entire lives.

Publishers often change business direction over time, and then the talents of their existing staff aren't always very well utilized after.

However, you do have to ask who would actually want to make the types of games Itsuno is making and give him a bigger budget than Capcom would.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'd say so. He's right up there with Neo_G in being a certified powerhouse that was responsible for some of Capcom's greatest hits. But Capcom's mismanagement being what it is (along with Dragon's Dogma not exactly setting the world on fire), it doesn't surprise me that Itsuno is fairly underutilized.

If it weren't for the fact that I'm still hoping that a new DMC from him may be on the way, I'd gladly say it was time for him to possibly follow Neo_G's example and join him in other pastures. Hell, he may still be up to doing that after at least one more DMC is done, as I can't believe he'd be happy stuck making sequels to that game for the rest of his career.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the notable hang-ups of Japanese developers tending to stay with one specific publisher for their entire lives.

Publishers often change business direction over time, and then the talents of their existing staff aren't always very well utilized after.

However, you do have to ask who would actually want to make the types of games Itsuno is making and give him a bigger budget than Capcom would.

I guess if and when someone buys Capcom he will get another shot to make another classic but in all likelihood it will underperform and that will be it for a while.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
All of Capcom's talent has been wasted for years due to Capcom's executives. It is why Capcom is one of the most frustrating companies in all of video games. Probably the greatest collection of IPs in all of 3rd party video gaming, but it has been systematically dismantled with bad decision making at the top level. Most of the talent has been forced out, and the few extremely talented people left (Itsuno being a primary example) seem to be pretty heavily handcuffed. I still love Capcom games but damn if they aren't wasting every opportunity they have left.

plz announce dmc5

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's working on something, so let's wait and see???????????????

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
In general Capcom is being wasted on Capcom, but I still have faith in them. It seems shoestring budgets are their biggest problems.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Itsuno is busy working on something big, probably DMC5, so he ain't being wasted that much.

This is a bit sad though. Square Enix is a prime example. They have a wealth of talent just sitting around doing nothing, like Hiroyuki Ito.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I often see people disappointed and even angry because low budget with capcom games. But I'm genuinely curious, if Capcom set expectation where the games break even at 1 million copies sold in full price

How much budget can Capcom give to the game? Also the money had to be split between game development and marketing.

For example, can a 20million dollar game budget (dev + marketing) break even at 1 million copies?

Oct 25, 2017
Wasted? That's a bit harsh, like you could argue that he might get do his thing more if he was at another studio but honestly it seems like capcom let's him do his projects his way for the most part. That being said we did only get like a third of what was originally outlined for dragon's dogma. But if you've read the original vision for the game it would have probably taken another 3 years in development to get all that crazy stuff in.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say he is.

Him and his DMC team are extremely talented and could rival out even beat Platium given they have enough time and budget. In termns of combat they are the absolute kings.

I just hope his actual game is DMC5 and it will win ppl back again like DMC3 and take his crown back.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Kinda yes, but when the time comes, Itsuno and his team have to step up to the plate. DMC5 is likely coming, and it's probably very important to the success of Capcom. That's probably their marquee game for 2018. They can't just be the Resident Evil company. I'm sure Marvel vs Capcom Infinite duffing didn't please Capcom too much.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, just think of all the Star Wars lootboxes he could have been designing at EA instead of making DMC5 at Capcom. :P

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He probably IS underutilized there but like... who else is going to give me DMC5 tho.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
He and his Devil May Cry team are probably the best assets the company has, and they haven't made anything in 5 years. So yeah, I'd say they're being wasted.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
The output from Capcom is just so low.

Onimusha
viewtiful joe
Mega man
Dmc
Dino crisis
Breath of fire
Powerstone
Outbreak series
Darkstalkers
Okami

They have so many IPs to put their staff on.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is being wasted on Capcom.

It's a shame that's he so...humble (or quiet)? Dude has one of the most diverse portfolio of high quality games out there but he doesn't get much mainstream attention.